Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? (1361 Views)

This Guy's Mum Will Pass For His Girlfriend - They Are Like Agemates / Do You Believe In Karma? Share Your Thoughts And Experiences. / Do You Believe In Karma? Share the Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Woged2005(f): 6:52pm On Mar 26, 2015
Aaaaaahh! Abeg my other topic is gradually turning into a war of words between people who believe in Karma and those who don't. I'm creating another topic here so that both parties can fight it out and enlighten us more. sad sad

Here are my positions on Karma..

Karma simply means that the thoughts and actions you send into the universe attracts same back to you.

Even Christ was beaten and nailed on the cross under excruciating pain. His cry out to the father in heaven to let 'The cup pass' did not save him from his appointed destiny, because it's already written. Even the Bible made it clear in new testament that "Ye shall reap what you sow" . Even Paul was later killed by the Roman Govt. That's how Paul left the world. Before repentance, he was going about killing and persecuting Christians...u can call that Karma or 'ifa' that's ur biz. Karma is also know as the 'Law of Cause & Effect',, 'The law of boomerang', 'the law of Harvest' in the bible. It's also buttressed by Newton's 2nd law of motion (action and reaction are equal and opposite).

People who justify that there's no karma because Christ died on cross the and washed away their sins, so their past is gone forever (called t[b]he theology of eternal grace[/b]) are simply being naive and want to eat their cake and have it. Jesus gave you salvation on the cross as a certificate to go to haven never means that there are no more consequences for your actions. Moses never entered the promised land did not mean God did nor forgive him. King David committed adultery with Batsheba and went through a time of gloom in his life because of God's wrath does not mean he ceased to be the 'Man after God's heart'.

I want to add that those bank robbers who killed policemen, a little teenage girl at Lagos and probably the bank staff/ policemen who tipped them with information may have succeeded in getting money, they won't go scot-free even if they repent, sow seeds, pay tithes and give testimonies in church. No sin goes unpunished. You can call it karma or what ever you like. If it doesn't fall on them, it will fall on their children.

God made it clear "I will visit the iniquities of parents on their children and great grand children..."

So please live you life knowing that even without religion, Karma is one thing Religion, Aetheist, Science, Philosophy agree on. There are consequences for your every action. tongue tongue tongue tongue

Thanks
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Tallesty1(m): 6:54pm On Mar 26, 2015
MizMyColi:
Tallesty1lipsrsealed

This would require quoting bible.
I no do.
My bible knowledge is rusty.
I stopped being a "Bible Student" for now.

What I live through....
The one whom I've been living with.
That life giving spirit and beyond-this-world dimension.
This new perspective I now have.

It has made it clear to me that I cannot claim to want to know him fully and still hold on to the view that he is one wrathful, bipolar god.
It is either I see him as Love that is infinitesimal, which my human mind couldn't possibly comprehend...or go ahead and place him at par with the god of the old testament.

I do not believe in Karma.
No matter the explanations, a part of me rejects Karma as a concept and way of life for a person who believes in the creator.

If you believe in Karma, good for you.
Have Funsmiley
I didn't mention you because I think you believe in karma, I just want to get your opinion of topic.

I personally don't accept the law of karma in its totality because I don't belief in reincarnation but I see it in our present-day activity, it's clear from all indication that we reap what we sow and that the fruit we reap will be commensurate with the actions we have performed.

Job 4:8 says, “As I have observed, those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it.

Not in the afterlife as the theory of karma implies but in this very life.

Now talking about the immeasurable love of Christ, I think I agree with you partially, God loves us beyond measure, beyond our comprehension and Christ has nailed our sin on the cross. IN FACT!

As Christians, we will never be punished for sin. That was done once for all. “There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” ( Romans 8:1). Because of the sacrifice of Christ, God sees only the righteousness of Christ when He looks at us. BUT!grin

We have to deal with the natural consequences resulting from sin.

We should also be ready for God's discipline, which is likely to be attributed to karma. The sin in our life does sometimes require God’s discipline. If we continue to act in sinful ways and we do not repent and turn from that sin, God brings His divine discipline to bear upon us. If He did not, He would not be a loving and concerned Father.(My Opinion).

Hebrews 12:7-13 tells us, "As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children.gringringrin.

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.

Proverbs 11:21 Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered.

The punishment here is talking about God's discipline.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Youngsage: 6:58pm On Mar 26, 2015
...Karma has often been given different interpretations by people, and the interpretation you have given above is just one of those...

But you could still have made your point without making reference to the Bible, or don't you think so? undecided

Well, that said, I don't believe in karma.
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by MizMyColi(f): 7:05pm On Mar 26, 2015
Tallesty1lipsrsealed

This would require quoting bible.
I no do.
My bible knowledge is rusty.
I stopped being a "Bible Student" for now.

What I live through....
The one whom I've been living with.
That life giving spirit and beyond-this-world dimension.
This new perspective I now have.

It has made it clear to me that I cannot claim to want to know him fully and still hold on to the view that he is one wrathful, bipolar god.
It is either I see him as Love that is infinitesimal, which my human mind couldn't possibly comprehend...or go ahead and place him at par with the god of the old testament.

I do not believe in Karma.
No matter the explanations, a part of me rejects Karma as a concept and way of life for a person who believes in the creator.

If you believe in Karma, good for you.
Have Funsmiley
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by RockMay: 7:23pm On Mar 26, 2015
I refuse to believe in karma but my belief does not change the fact that karma does exist.
You do good,good go follow you,
You do bad,bad go follow you.
Its very simple.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Mar 26, 2015
I believe. 100%
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 26, 2015
Karma is such a biatch....She fvcks people all over including me. undecided
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 26, 2015
not in all cases, but most.
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by jmoore(m): 7:43pm On Mar 26, 2015
Woged2005:
God made it clear "I will visit the iniquities of parents on their children and great grand children..."

Still stuck in the old testament? Wetin innocent unborn kids do na?
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Woged2005(f): 7:51pm On Mar 26, 2015
jmoore:

Still stuck in the old testament? Wetin innocent unborn kids do na?

But people who claim they don't believe in Karma try to use bible to justify their claim and I just countered it with bible proofs too. by the way is old testament not part of Bible? Mind you old testament is word directly from God. New testament is the story of Jesus and the early Christians. If you see God and see St Paul beckoning on you, who will you follow? grin.....Even Jesus read and believed old testament.

Also bear in mind a very large population of the world are not Christians yet believe in Karma too.
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by jmoore(m): 7:53pm On Mar 26, 2015
Woged2005:

But people who claim they don't believe in Karma try to use bible to justify their claim and I just countered it with bible proofs too. by the way is old testament not part of Bible? Mind you old testament is word directly from God. New testament is the story of Jesus and the early Christians. If you see God and see St Paul beckoning on you, who will you follow? grin.....Even Jesus read and believed old testament.

Also bear in mind a very large population of the world are not Christians yet believe in Karma too.

So we should kill animals as sacrifice to God cos it is in the old testament, huh?
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by crackhaus: 9:01pm On Mar 26, 2015
Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people.
Some people are born with all the luck they'll ever need in their lifetime, others keep using up all their luck and running into problems.

Whatever role karma has to play in all this is something I do not like to bother my head with because life shouldn't be complicated anymore than it already is.
Just make good choices and be ready to deal with the consequences, short-term and long-term.

However, if these consequences turn out bad because the good choice you thought you made was actually a bad choice, then go ahead and call it karma or carol... who gives a fvck - just accept it and learn from that fatal mistake.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 26, 2015
Not really. The concept of karma I have defined for myself is: what you sow, your environment shall reap it. And it is left for that environment to figure out your misdeed and punish you accordingly. For instance, a contractor was given a contract to fix a road, but he didn't execute the project and he embezzles the funds. The man may not necessarily reap the the consequences of the bad road, because he has an helicopter or something. But his environment would certainly reap the consequences -- deadly accidents -- and it is left for them to pick out the murder (contractor) and punish him for his real crime, which is murder. No god stays anywhere to decide the affairs of men, but we ourselves decide what happens to us collectively. This is what makes us an higher animal!

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Nobody: 12:37am On Mar 27, 2015
I'm Atheist and I don't believe in no karma reason why?...what if I did you wrong and that gets to be your karma for previous wrong you done,does it justify my wrong or does it mean karma cycle wouldn't just end until it haunt an innocent person? With these questions,freethinkers like me have it that karma is invalid and almost coincidental as wrongly believed miracles.#take a bow and leaves
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Richy4(m): 1:36am On Mar 27, 2015
Sometimes I wonder where karma was when a beloved country like Nigeria which has all the necessary mineral and natural endowment to help it's citizens.yet most Nigerians live in poverty. And those siphoning the wealth to themselves lives longer

many of its citizens has been killed in different parts of the world because they were looking for a better life for themselves and family which was not readily available at home.

yet when they die, they die peacefully in their sleep without karma' s visitation. So was it that karma select those it visit or does things happen coincidentally
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by bukatyne(f): 9:26am On Mar 27, 2015
Woged2005:

Aaaaaahh! Abeg my other topic is gradually turning into a war of words between people who believe in Karma and those who don't. I'm creating another topic here so that both parties can fight it out and enlighten us more. sad sad

Here are my positions on Karma..

Karma simply means that the thoughts and actions you send into the universe attracts same back to you.

Even Christ was beaten and nailed on the cross under excruciating pain. His cry out to the father in heaven to let 'The cup pass' did not save him from his appointed destiny, because it's already written. Even the Bible made it clear in new testament that "Ye shall reap what you sow" . Even Paul was later killed by the Roman Govt. That's how Paul left the world. Before repentance, he was going about killing and persecuting Christians...u can call that Karma or 'ifa' that's ur biz. Karma is also know as the 'Law of Cause & Effect',, 'The law of boomerang', 'the law of Harvest' in the bible. It's also buttressed by Newton's 2nd law of motion (action and reaction are equal and opposite).

People who justify that there's no karma because Christ died on cross the and washed away their sins, so their past is gone forever (called t[b]he theology of eternal grace[/b]) are simply being naive and want to eat their cake and have it. Jesus gave you salvation on the cross as a certificate to go to haven never means that there are no more consequences for your actions. Moses never entered the promised land did not mean God did nor forgive him. King David committed adultery with Batsheba and went through a time of gloom in his life because of God's wrath does not mean he ceased to be the 'Man after God's heart'.

I want to add that those bank robbers who killed policemen, a little teenage girl at Lagos and probably the bank staff/ policemen who tipped them with information may have succeeded in getting money, they won't go scot-free even if they repent, sow seeds, pay tithes and give testimonies in church. No sin goes unpunished. You can call it karma or what ever you like. If it doesn't fall on them, it will fall on their children.

So please live you life knowing that even without religion, Karma is one thing Religion, Aetheist, Science, Philosophy agree on. There are consequences for your every action. tongue tongue tongue tongue

Thanks

God also said the 'soul that sinneth shall die'
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Vyolet(f): 9:31am On Mar 27, 2015
I do not believe in Karma..
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Nobody: 10:58am On Mar 27, 2015
Eh, who knows? People are forever reaping what they did not sow, and sowing what they did not reap, are they not?

Do those of you who believe in Karma also believe in Vishnu ('..I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds')? Although the Bhagavad Gita dedicates a whole chapter to Karma, the concept appears strangely amiss throughout the rest of the verse.
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by TheFury: 12:15pm On Mar 27, 2015
I always laugh whenever I see this topic. This word Karma. This is simply what is known as the LAW OF SEEDTIME AND HARVEST. After the flood, when Noah made an offering to GOD, from that day the LAW OF SEEDTIME AND HARVEST has been in effect. God declared specifically that "I will not again curse the ground for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; Neither will I again smite any more every thing living as I have done.[bWhile the earth remaineth, SEED TIME AND HARVEST, cold and heat and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. (Genesis 8:21-22).

What it means is that you shall receive the rewards for your actions and works. "Whatsoever a man soeth.....". This law is universal. Whether you believe in God or not. Whether you are a Nihilist, Muslim, Christian, Aethist, Hindu, etc. That verse up there was the day God instituted it. It doesnt mean agriculture or weather in the literal sense. And the law of seedtime and harvest is powerful and transcends generations. "The fathers have eaten sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge". This is the reason why some people suffer the consequences of actions carried out centuries ago. God himself said "I will visit the sins of the fathers upon the children, EVEN TO THE THIRD GENERATION" (Take note).

So whatever you do, has concequenes, for good or for I'll, no matter who you are cos whatsoever a man soweth that he SHALL reap.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Woged2005(f): 2:56pm On Mar 27, 2015
TheFury:
I always laugh whenever I see this topic. This word Karma. This is simply what is known as the LAW OF SEEDTIME AND HARVEST. After the flood, when Noah made an offering to GOD, from that day the LAW OF SEEDTIME AND HARVEST has been in effect. God declared specifically that "I will not again curse the ground for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; Neither will I again smite any more every thing living as I have done.[bWhile the earth remaineth, SEED TIME AND HARVEST, cold and heat and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. (Genesis 8:21-22).

What it means is that you shall receive the rewards for your actions and works. "Whatsoever a man soeth.....". This law is universal. Whether you believe in God or not. Whether you are a Nihilist, Muslim, Christian, Aethist, Hindu, etc. That verse up there was the day God instituted it. It doesnt mean agriculture or weather in the literal sense. And the law of seedtime and harvest is powerful and transcends generations. "The fathers have eaten sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge". This is the reason why some people suffer the consequences of actions carried out centuries ago. God himself said "I will visit the sins of the fathers upon the children, EVEN TO THE THIRD GENERATION" (Take note).

So whatever you do, has concequenes, for good or for I'll, no matter who you are cos whatsoever a man soweth that he SHALL reap.

Thank you very much for this. I tell people Karma is not really a Christian religion thing. It's a universal belief. I noticed we have very unique ways of tailoring things to fit our ways of life in Nigeria and try to be smart about it. Even our style of being religious is somehow unique to our environment. For example if you deal with Christians from other countries they are very different from Nigerian Christians. The difference being that we try to use religion as a cover-up rather than a light in our communities...if you come into Christian communities in western countries you can feel the love, peace, kindness, etc. On the other hand, Christian communities in Nigeria are rife with hostility, accusations, discrimination, self-righteousness and then very high level of crime (robbery, fraud, prostitution, etc), the larger the number of religious houses, the more the crime rate.

I guess people are afraid of karma for fear of being punished for their past life. As usual, they try to pretend it doesn't exist in order to have some false 'peace of mind'. Well the bad news is it does exist. The good news is there's good karma too. Karma is not 'Punishment', rather a 'Reward' for your thoughts and action. If your thoughts and actions are bad, why not change than rather than being naive with your 'Living in sin under grace' attitude?

Thank God Nigerians didn't write the Bible, a lot of chapters that didn't favor them would have been removed.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by coogar: 3:07pm On Mar 27, 2015
there's no karma!
it's a myth.
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by cococandy(f): 4:07pm On Mar 27, 2015
Karma is the name of my favorite Indian restaurant.

Karma Cuisine.

That's all I know about the issue of karma. tongue

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by TheSonOfMark(m): 4:58pm On Mar 27, 2015
cococandy:
Karma is the name of my favorite Indian restaurant.

Karma Cuisine.

That's all I know about the issue of karma. tongue

@Cococandy @Mizmycoli:
I think karma is about justice/retribution - the results arising from our actions or inactions on this terraforma.

I know a lot of folks would dismiss it as just figments of the "warped" imaginations of religious adherents but the fact is it isn't. Even atheists can't dispute this.

According to one of Newton's laws (of motion),it is stated that ," For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction". Simply put (in this case), for every ACTION there is a REPERCUSSION.

THIS IS PURE SCIENCE.
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Mintayo(m): 5:12pm On Mar 27, 2015
There are causes and effects, results and consequences, but karma? Sounds Indian to me, I don't believe in it!
On a lighter note, when will the bitchh call karma will visit Obasanjo and Babangida? I guess they are too old for her! grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Mar 27, 2015
Mintayo:
There are causes and effects, results and consequences, but karma? Sounds Indian to me, I don't believe in it!
On a lighter note, when will the bitchh call karma will visit Obasanjo and Babangida? I guess they are too old for her! grin

It only affects the poor. Lol! People like IBB would die celebrated by his many beneficiaries.
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Mintayo(m): 7:01pm On Mar 27, 2015
theAtheist101:

It only affects the poor. Lol! People like IBB would die celebrated by his many beneficiaries.
You are very correct grin grin. If it affects only the poor, then is there really such a thing as karma? grin
Re: Do You Believe Karma Plays A Role In What People Pass Through In Life? by Erickthewreck: 7:06pm On Mar 27, 2015
Karma is nonsense.

(1) (Reply)

Abomination !! Incest As Father Impregnates Daughter In Benue / What Should This Father Do? / 14 Comics On How Much Today’s Childhood Differs From Ours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.