Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,862 members, 7,798,867 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Politics Of Religion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics Of Religion (2387 Views)

Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / The Role Of Religion In Politics – Nigeria’s Scenario / "Buhari And Politics Of Religion" By Abubakar Evuti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics Of Religion by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 21, 2009
Yesterday, someone accused me of not being Christian enough, why? Because I am unequally yoked with an unbeliever, who is the unbeliever, my best friend of 23 years who has been with me through the best, worst and most trying times of my life. She was my consolation when I had my first heartbreak and subsequent ones, Currently she has a steady job and I don’t(Am chasing a lifelong dream) and so she knows am not as financially stable as I used to be so she finds ways of financially supporting me without making me feel like a charity case. Her only crime is that she is a Moslem. She is also being accused of being un-Moslem.
I always ponder why we allow some people brainwash us into believing that the enemy is someone who believes something different or who is from a different ethnic group, meanwhile we are all wallowing in unemployment, poverty, poor education, and corrupt insensitive and desperately corrupt leaders who continuously screw us out of our legitimate rights and privileges. we fight one another in our lack, instead of coming together to fight the common enemy, bad, selfish, visionless leaders.
90% of us practice our current religion because we were born into it and not because we converted based on our convictions. I know people will call for my head with all the fanatical ethnic and religious bias which we stupidly believe but I am so sad for my generation for our inability to face real issues head on.
Re: Politics Of Religion by Sapphic: 2:40pm On Jan 21, 2009
aisha2:

Yesterday, someone accused me of not being Christian enough, why? Because I am unequally yoked with an unbeliever, who is the unbeliever, my best friend of 23 years who has been with me through the best, worst and most trying times of my life. She was my consolation when I had my first heartbreak and subsequent ones, Currently she has a steady job and I don’t(Am chasing a lifelong dream) and so she knows am not as financially stable as I used to be so she finds ways of financially supporting me without making me feel like a charity case. Her only crime is that she is a Moslem. She is also being accused of being un-Moslem.
I always ponder why we allow some people brainwash us into believing that the enemy is someone who believes something different or who is from a different ethnic group, meanwhile we are all wallowing in unemployment, poverty, poor education, and corrupt insensitive and desperately corrupt leaders who continuously screw us out of our legitimate rights and privileges. we fight one another in our lack, instead of coming together to fight the common enemy, bad, selfish, visionless leaders.
90% of us practice our current religion because we were born into it and not because we converted based on our convictions. I know people will call for my head with all the fanatical ethnic and religious bias which we stupidly believe but I am so sad for my generation for our inability to face real issues head on.

I will advise you to ignore those who refer to you as "un-christian". Your religion and faith is between you and your God. It is only God who can tell whether all those sanctimonous judgmental nitwits will even make it to heaven. The relationship you have with your friend appears good from what you have narrated, Jesus did not discriminate against people who were different from him, why should you? She has been a great friend to you and it would be foolish to jeopardize your friendship because some bigots cannot see past a person's religion. Personally, I guard my friendships jealously. Tell them to take their opinions and stick it where the sun don't shine,
Re: Politics Of Religion by mustafar1: 3:29pm On Jan 21, 2009
even the well educated are illiterate when it comes to this which you have stated.
Re: Politics Of Religion by Lagosboy: 3:57pm On Jan 21, 2009
It is a shame the lack of religous tolerance and hatred is and would continue to drag our people backwards. Funny though politicians practise some religious tolerance as they never have permanent friends but permanent intrest.

@Poster
There several of those kind of people here on NL who would condemn you to hell for having a muslim friend. Of course we have religious differences and it would continue to be there till the end of time but it is how we manage our diveristy and mutual respect that would lead to success.
Re: Politics Of Religion by Kobojunkie: 3:48am On Jan 22, 2009
aisha2:

[size=13pt]we fight one another in our lack, instead of coming together to fight the common enemy, bad, selfish, visionless leaders.[/size]

Welcome to the biggest problem that we have in Nigeria. Look around you here on Nairaland and you will find that is common practise here. I am not sure what the root of the problem is but I believe it may have to do with the culture of pride we continue to pass on to our kids in that nation. Who knows?
Re: Politics Of Religion by jamace(m): 12:00am On Jan 24, 2009
We are good at both. Politics of religion and religion of politics grin
Re: Politics Of Religion by DisGuy: 12:47am On Jan 24, 2009
Yesterday, someone accused me of not being Christian enough,

Maybe its about time you cut off that someone. . .
Re: Politics Of Religion by dayokanu(m): 1:03am On Jan 24, 2009
My closest friend in University was a Moslem we lived together for 3 years Squatter, landlord relationship

We got along very well probably because both of us were not fanatical. I hardly go to fellowship and he too hardly goes to mosque.

Its when people take religion to the extreme that we have issues.

Moreover these religion are used to deceive the poor, The rich know where they meet and  make decisions regardless of their religions
Re: Politics Of Religion by jamace(m): 9:14am On Jan 24, 2009
Moreover these religion are used to deceive the poor, The rich know where they meet and make decisions regardless of their religions
[quote][/quote]

True talk, my brother. The rich just use religion cover our face while they continue to loot our treasury. God dey sha.
Re: Politics Of Religion by JJYOU: 6:50pm On Jan 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Welcome to the biggest problem that we have in Nigeria. Look around you here on Nairaland and you will find that is common practise here. I am not sure what the root of the problem is but I believe it may have to do with the culture of pride we continue to pass on to our kids in that nation. Who knows?
i tot you were a card carrying member of this sect. am i mistaking you for someone?
Re: Politics Of Religion by KarmaMod(f): 6:54pm On Jan 30, 2009
" grin "
Re: Politics Of Religion by RichyBlacK(m): 7:06pm On Jan 30, 2009
aisha2:

Excellent post!!

I've been meaning to write something along this line but you beat me to it.

Don't listen to all those idiotic "religious" imbeciles! Look at our leaders, they all go to church/mosque but they are some of the most corrupt SOBs in the world!

No religion should make us hate each other, but that is not what we see. So pathetic. cry
Re: Politics Of Religion by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Jan 30, 2009
JJYOU:

i tot you were a card carrying member of this sect. am i mistaking you for someone?

What sect would that be? I am not sure I have any clue what you are asking me.
Re: Politics Of Religion by JJYOU: 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Excellent post!!

I've been meaning to write something along this line but you beat me to it.

Don't listen to all those idiotic "religious" imbeciles! Look at our leaders, they all go to church/mosque but they are some of the most corrupt SOBs in the world!

No religion should make us hate each other, but that is not what we see. So pathetic. cry
not even you
Re: Politics Of Religion by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 30, 2009
If being "unequally yoked" is equal to having ONLY christian friends (as christians) then Zacheus would never have met Jesus neither would Judas have lasted 3 days with the disciples.

The only problem is when you have friends who are unsaved and you fail to reach out to them in some way with the gospel of salvation. One of my uni roommates was a smoking unbeliever from a muslim home. He got saved after a few months living with us and he made one statement i will never forget - he said he only wanted the peace the rest of us had and he found it in Jesus. He turned out to be one of the best friends a man could ever ask for.

In the same vein there are those friends who have no interest in hearing the bible anyway, you've done your part . . . carry on being best friends.
Re: Politics Of Religion by allboyz(m): 7:37pm On Jan 30, 2009
my word - 1 Samuel 16 Vs 7.
Re: Politics Of Religion by agaba123(m): 7:54pm On Jan 30, 2009
dayokanu:

My closest friend in University was a Moslem we lived together for 3 years Squatter, landlord relationship

We got along very well probably because both of us were not fanatical. I hardly go to fellowship and he too hardly goes to mosque.

Moreover these religion are used to deceive the poor, The rich know where they meet and make decisions regardless of their religions
I disagree a bit with that portion. Going to fellowish does not make one a fanatic. One deicides to be a fanatic.
I was fellowship freak but I had moslem friends. Even in youth service, my friends were moslems we got along well.

Who ever discriminates in terms of personal relationship using religion as a smokescreen is . . . .
Poster,
No mind am ooo. We are first humans then comes religion.
Re: Politics Of Religion by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Jan 30, 2009
dayokanu:

Come on dude!!! LAZY people are the non-fanatics out there? Jeez!!! I guess that means I am a fanatic cause I choose to attend fellowship during the week and church on Sunday? You come up with some funny connections that I just can’t figure you out sometimes. Roflmao!!!!!

dayokanu:

Just to add, Even people who do not attend mosque and fellowship can be religious. If you look up the meaning of the word, you will see that it no limited to those who confess to worship a God/god. Even folks who do not can be and have been known to be religious in some way or another.

dayokanu:

Do not castigate the lot because of the sins of the few.

@Poster, you are either a christian or you are not. If you do not follow the tenets of the belief to the fullest, then you are not, as there is no way one can be a semi-christian. You are either fully in or you are fully out. No inbetween in the religion. Maybe that was what the person was trying to tell you. Not sure I want to go about demonizing the other fellow who is not here to defend self but would be great if you could point us all to the original thread that started all this so we get a more rounded picture of what went down before casting stones.
Re: Politics Of Religion by MrCrackles(m): 8:06pm On Jan 30, 2009
I know one thing for sure, and it is, the fact that this world would have been a better place without any religion!

What riles me up the most everyday is the  constant claim that "Yeah it is only my religion that will take you to heaven"
angry
Re: Politics Of Religion by joobreel(m): 8:06pm On Jan 30, 2009
we dont have to allow anybody scope us into hating. the bible charges the christians to preach the word. it didnt tell us to make enemies. let the prosecutor remove the log in his eyes first.
@poster
mind no one, a muslim friend is better than a hypocrite. LOL
Re: Politics Of Religion by MrCrackles(m): 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Just to add, Even people who do not attend mosque and fellowship can be religious. If you look up the meaning of the word, you will see that it no limited to those who confess to worship a God/god. Even folks who do not can be and have been known to be religious in some way or another.

Gbam! cheesy
Re: Politics Of Religion by Kobojunkie: 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

I know one thing for sure, and it is, the fact that this world would have been a better place without any religion!

What riles me up the most everyday is the  constant claim that "Yeah it is only my religion that will take you to heaven"
angry

Why does it bother you? Have you ever tried to find out why it actually bothers you? I happen to consider myself a religious person and I have no apologies for my choice. I choose to believe as I want and at the end of the day, my belief ought not to bother you, unless it harms you. Even then, you can only do all you can to protect yourself from me but you cannot force your belief on me and expect me to be OK with it, or could you?
Re: Politics Of Religion by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, you are either a christian or you are not. If you do not follow the tenets of the belief to the fullest, then you are not, as there is no way one can be a semi-christian. You are either fully in or you are fully out. No inbetween in the religion. Maybe that was what the person was trying to tell you.

100% agreement.
Re: Politics Of Religion by MrCrackles(m): 8:12pm On Jan 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Why does it bother you? Have you ever tried to find out why it actually bothers you?

I just ignore it nowadays, "i go like fuc.k m outta here, they have come again"! grin

What pisses me off is the person that comes around and lay claim to it!
Re: Politics Of Religion by MrCrackles(m): 8:13pm On Jan 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Why does it bother you? Have you ever tried to find out why it actually bothers you? I happen to consider myself a religious person and I have no apologies for my choice. I choose to believe as I want and at the end of the day, my belief ought not to bother you, unless it harms you. Even then, you can only do all you can to protect yourself from me but you cannot force your belief on me and expect me to be OK with it, or could you?

Definitely not
! cheesy
Re: Politics Of Religion by Kobojunkie: 8:14pm On Jan 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

I just ignore it nowadays, "i go like fuc.k m outta here, they have come again"! grin

What pisses me off is the person that comes around and lay claim to it!

Does the person ACTUALLY lay claim to it? Or you just assume the person is? Take for instance, a person comes up to you to say Islam is the way. The person is not there telling you that Islam belongs to his person, He is simply telling you that Islam is the way. You can choose to believe him or ignore him. Your choice. However, in no way can his words be interpreted to mean that it is his own design on islam that is the way but that Islam in general is the way, right?

One has to see religion more as one would opinions. There are so many out there. You pick and choose, try and test each one to arrive at the one you consider right for you. Everyone believes his/her opinion holds water but at the end of the day, there can only be one right opinion for you and it is your job to find out which one it is. If you choose no opinion/religion at all, you have made a choice regardless. So I see no reason why you should feel threatened by people claiming their religion is the one and only way out there.
Re: Politics Of Religion by MrCrackles(m): 8:20pm On Jan 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Does the person ACTUALLY lay claim to it? Or you just assume the person is? Take for instance, a person comes up to you to say Islam is the way. The person is not there telling you that Islam belongs to his person, He is simply telling you that Islam is the way. You can choose to believe him or ignore him. Your choice. However, in no way can his words be interpreted to mean that it is his own design on islam that is the way but that Islam in general is the way, right?

I understand

But dat is not what i meant, i mis-phrased it!

What i meant is similar to what you are saying. Of course i have a choice as to what i believe in
!!!!
Re: Politics Of Religion by bindex(m): 8:25pm On Jan 30, 2009
davidylan:

If being "unequally yoked" is equal to having ONLY christian friends (as christians) then Zacheus would never have met Jesus neither would Judas have lasted 3 days with the disciples.

The only problem is when you have friends who are unsaved and you fail to reach out to them in some way with the gospel of salvation. One of my uni roommates was a smoking unbeliever from a muslim home. He got saved after a few months living with us and he made one statement i will never forget - he said he only wanted the peace the rest of us had and he found it in Jesus. He turned out to be one of the best friends a man could ever ask for.

In the same vein there are those friends who have no interest in hearing the bible anyway, you've done your part . . . carry on being best friends.

This is what happens when you allow religion to destroy your brain cells. Its either your way or the highway.

@Poster, you are either a christian or you are not. If you do not follow the tenets of the belief to the fullest, then you are not, as there is no way one can be a semi-christian. You are either fully in or you are fully out. No inbetween in the religion. Maybe that was what the person was trying to tell you.

There is no connection between light and darkness the bible says there by advocating the permanent we vs them mentality. What a shame

@ poster don't come here whining about how people prosecute you for befriending moslems because that it what the two religions teach. The bible teaches christains not to accept moslems just as the koran teaches moslems not to accept christains. Read the bible and the Koran both of the Gods that are taught in those books strongly advocated segregation, racism and intolerance towards people of other faiths(Christainity teaches maiming of body parts if it causes you to sin and total seperation from the already condemmed while islam teaches total segregation and the utmost racism form the already condemmed unbelievers.). So to come here and start whining that people prosecute you is to not know what your religion teaches. Most people live their lives according to what they feel is right not according to what they were taught by their respective religions.
Re: Politics Of Religion by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 30, 2009
Bindex, unfortunately the bible is clear . . . Jesus Christ is the only way. See i cant apologise for something i simply believe but did not include in the bible, Christ didnt seek my input to say that.

Like i always say, if you dont like it you are absolutely free to give it a wide pass.
Re: Politics Of Religion by MrCrackles(m): 8:29pm On Jan 30, 2009
bindex:

This is what happens when you allow religion to destroy your brain cells. Its either your way or the highway.

Ouch!! grin
Re: Politics Of Religion by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Jan 30, 2009
bindex:

Most people live their lives according to what they feel is right not according to what they were taught by their respective religions.

Sounds more like what religious people do. They live their lives by what they feel is right which also happens to be what their respective religions teach. WOW!! Roflmao!!
Re: Politics Of Religion by bindex(m): 8:37pm On Jan 30, 2009
davidylan:

Bindex, unfortunately the bible is clear . . . Jesus Christ is the only way. See i cant apologise for something i simply believe but did not include in the bible, Christ didnt seek my input to say that.

Like i always say, if you dont like it you are absolutely free to give it a wide pass.

I dont give a Bleep about who Jesus Christ is what he said or what people said he said, Jesus Christ can be the way from here to the bibleGod's anus that is his bleeping problem all I am saying is that this is what happens when you allow religion to destroy your brian cells. There are no better advocates of racism, descrimination, intolerance and the permanent we vs them divide amongst humans like Allah and Jehovah the God of the old testament are there? If there is one then pls go ahead and tell me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Niger Rep Opens New Refinery : Very Close To Nigeria’s Border / Nigeria Is Cursed With Very Bad Leaders ––obasanjo Explodes; Mentions Names / America "a country full of racists" retort as Miss America racially abused.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.