Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. (2153 Views)

Road To Redemption: A Tale Of Kratos The God Of War / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 12:40pm On Mar 28, 2015
This is not my first story although i never seem to be able to complete any one. i hope posting here would help me conquer that.
cinstructive criticism is allowed. Thanks and enjoy.

CHAPTER ONE

The man slept unperturbed in the corner under the leafy shade of a giant mango tree. He awoke occasionally to swat a mosquito or two which buzzed around his ear and to adjust his sparse belongings which he had tied in one of his hole ridden and worn out shirts and used as a pillow. As he slept, he favoured his right hand which was still smarting from an injury from when he had been trying to escape a police raid the night before. He had been sleeping in a stall in the market when he had heard scuffing sounds and shouts. He quickly gathered his already tied clothes and made to dash off when in his sleepy state, he had stumbled and fell on that arm. Now, the arm still hurt and he slept trying not to move it.

Suddenly, he jolted awake and tried to adjust his eyes to the darkness of the surroundings. He had heard a noise and as one used to the streets, he knew enough to sleep with one eye open. He heard the noise again and this time it was followed by angry bellows coming from a male voice and a female voice cryig and pleading coming from a female voice.

`family troubles’ he said to himself and lay back down to continue his sleep from where he left off.

Ada sat on the ground outside their two bed room flat amidst her belongings with a look of disbelief on her face. She couldn’t believe that Bayo could throw her out of their matrimonial home after 7 years of marriage. She was in shock and could only stare unseeingly at her scattered belongings. From far away, she heard his shouts and bellows and she could only think to herself that he could try to reduce his voice so as not to disturb the neighbours. She could only laugh at herself for putting herself In this situation. After all, if she had kept her mouth shut, she would still be in the house sleeping. now look at where her big mouth had put her. She looked up to see more of her things hitting the ground around her and it jolted her back to reality. So Bayo really meant it? It was almost like he had been waiting for an opportunity to do this. She struggled to get up and fell back down. This had been happening of late and she looked around desperately trying to find something to hold on to so she could get up. She managed to get up after much struggles and suddenly had this urgency to pack her stuff and leave before it was daylight. She ran around picking her clothes and shoes and packing them into the Ghana-must-go bag which Bayo had graciously thrown out. She struggled and tried to move the bag but couldn’t even move it ad she settled for rolling it down till she got to the gate and then she let herself out.

Outside, she stood for some minutes thinking of where to go and who to call. It was past 2 am last time she checked the time and she doubted she could get anybody to come help her at this time. She definitely couldn’t call her parents as she was not ready for their judging. They had warned her not to marry Bayo but she had adamantly refused and had eloped with him. Now look at where she was; Thrown out of the house like a stray dog without any kobo to her name.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 12:42pm On Mar 28, 2015
she then decided to keep on moving to anywhere but here at least to get a place to lay her head till it was daylight. She kept on dragging her Ghana must go bag and moved on to the next street. By now, she was panting heavily as she couldn’t recall the last time she had embarked on such an arduous exercise. In the far distance, she could see a mango tree with what looked like piles of dirt under it and she could only thank her stars for sending her respite. She decided to rest there till dawn and she struggled there.

As she got there, she discovered it wasn’t a pile of rags like she had earlier thought but a human being. She was skeptical at first but when she thought of the fact that she didn’t have anywhere to stay till the next morning and that she was very tired, she arranged he bag beside her and lay down to sleep.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by joliematt(f): 12:45pm On Mar 28, 2015
following
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 12:47pm On Mar 28, 2015
joliematt:
following
thanks dear. hope you enjoy it.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by Nitefury: 12:58pm On Mar 28, 2015
Where that fine girl called MoNickk? I don buy ticket for this movie o... Oya, cum continu cool
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2015
Nitefury:
Where that fine girl called MoNickk? I don buy ticket for this movie o... Oya, cum continu cool
I'm here hun. update coming up shortly.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by talk2riel: 3:38pm On Mar 28, 2015
Next!
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by Divepen1(m): 4:04pm On Mar 28, 2015
Chai.. Chai.. see tori
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 4:37pm On Mar 28, 2015
CHAPTER TWO

Ada woke up to somebody bending over her and tapping her. She was a little disoriented at first and could only stare for a while before it all came rushing back. She made feeble attempts to move away from this stranger who was bending over her and could only pray to God to deliver her from the person.

“I’m leaving this place and I advise you to do so also before the touts come out” the stranger said and it suddenly occurred to her that this was the person who had been lying down on the other side of the tree. She calmed down somewhat and watched as the stranger walked away with his bundle of clothes slung over his back. She was grateful that he had woken her up as in her tired state, there could have been a bomb blast and she wouldn’t have woken up. She looked around while trying to stifle a big yawn and saw that people were beginning to step out going about their daily business. She managed to get up holing onto the tree and stared at her bag for some seconds wishing it could change into a small hand bag for her to carry but then, she remembered that she was going to need most of th things inside the bag and she moved grudgingly to move it and try to find her way from that neighbourhood.

Helen stood outside the compound for some seconds yawning and stretching while using her eyes to try to locate the broom wherever it was hidden. She couldn’t find it and she made to go back inside to ask the other women if any of them had removed it from where it was normally kept outside when she heard someone knocking on the gate. She wondered who it could be at this time of the day as it was just 5.26 am. As she moved towards the gate to peep, she heard the knocks again and didnt know when she shouted “im coming o” she immediately regretted it as she felt that was stupid of her as it could be one of those boys who had been coming to threaten them in the compound. She summoned courage to open the gate and saw the biggest woman she had ever seen. She couldn’t help staring as the woman fidgeted and greeted her which she didn’t even hear. All that was running through her mind was ‘mehn…this woman is big’.

She immediately regretted that as she realized she had spoken aloud when she saw the look of hurt that had come over the woman’s face. The woman made to move away and Helen felt bad as she wasn’t normally a judgmental type and couldn’t fathom what had come over her. She stepped out of the compound and held the woman's hand.

“im sorry..good morning, please come in”. the woman hesitated for a while and then made up her mind to follow her in. it was then Helen noticed the bag beside her and the two of them dragged it in.

Once inside, Ada could only stare at the house inside the compound. It was a two storey building and it looked like it needed repairs and badly too.  Ada didn’t mind as she just needed a place to stay while she sorted herself out. While walking and dragging her bag behind her, she had come across a signboard that advertised an NGO and she gladly followed the directions and here she was. “please bear with us, we haven’t had much funds lately” the woman who had opened the gate for her was saying. That woman was so rude. Ada concluded . Was it her fault that she had gotten fat? The woman should have seen her in those days when she was the toast of her village. She would have wondered. All these went through Ada’s mind but she managed a smile at the woman and followed her inside the house.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by lordmario(m): 5:48pm On Mar 28, 2015
Gbam I don land... This tori don dey totori me already... #barman give everybody 2bottles of orijin but give Nitefury 5cartons... Oya Monickk contunu
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 5:56pm On Mar 28, 2015
lordmario:
Gbam I don land... This tori don dey totori me already... #barman give everybody 2bottles of orijin but give Nitefury 5cartons... Oya Monickk contunu
as i don't like orijin nko? sad
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by Nitefury: 6:05pm On Mar 28, 2015
lordmario:

ah.. Big bros.. Thanks sire... *whispers to bar man* bro I no dey do alcohol, so you go give me the money for 4 cartons, make you keep one for ya sef grin
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by lordmario(m): 6:34pm On Mar 28, 2015
MoNickk:
as i don't like orijin nko? sad
Barman return monickk orijin give her chapman.... 10bottles
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by lordmario(m): 6:37pm On Mar 28, 2015
Nitefury:

ah.. Big bros.. Thanks sire... *whispers to bar man* bro I no dey do alcohol, so you go give me the money for 4 cartons, make you keep one for ya sef grin
That is corruption Nitefury.... Ok barman cos am in election period I change it for him. Give him 10packs of smoov chapman and 3 packs of eva water.... I sha don try like dis? And you must drink everything o.... Oya sugarpie monickk give me more tori

1 Like

Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by spacefreak: 11:12pm On May 12, 2015
Did you give up writing this story? I really hope you continue.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 9:50am On May 13, 2015
spacefreak:
Did you give up writing this story? I really hope you continue.
I kinda lost the essence of the story. I got carried away writing n then discovered I had swayed from the theme I wanted. would still work on it though.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by spacefreak: 10:29am On May 13, 2015
MoNickk:
I kinda lost the essence of the story. I got carried away writing n then discovered I had swayed from the theme I wanted. would still work on it though.

I can understand. Happens to me too. Well, take your time. Do follow back please. smiley
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 11:23am On May 13, 2015
spacefreak:

I can understand. Happens to me too. Well, take your time. Do follow back please. smiley
thanks
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by luvablesam(m): 11:51am On Oct 13, 2015
Hmmmm...writers block?
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 7:35pm On Oct 13, 2015
luvablesam:
Hmmmm...writers block?
not quite. been busy.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by luvablesam(m): 8:48pm On Oct 13, 2015
MoNickk:
not quite. been busy.

Or u don't know how to end it?...u can hire a writer to end it
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by obajiluke: 9:17pm On Oct 13, 2015
now following...

the story is "looking" nice.

just update some more....then if you need our(readers) help, we would gladly pour out our suggestions.

#WeDeyYourBack....
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 5:06pm On Oct 14, 2015
obajiluke:
now following...

the story is "looking" nice.

just update some more....then if you need our(readers) help, we would gladly pour out our suggestions.

#WeDeyYourBack....
thanks dear
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by FactsTruths: 7:53am On Jan 25, 2016
You need help ma'am. Talk to someone, who knows someone, knowing another someone in a similar shoes like yours, and had found a way through.

You really need to help yourself out, try to finish your stories, it helps you become a better writer.

Cheers.
Re: Travails And Redemption- A Short Story. by MoNickk(f): 8:03am On Jan 25, 2016
FactsTruths:
You need help ma'am. Talk to someone, who knows someone, knowing another someone in a similar shoes like yours, and had found a way through.

You really need to help yourself out, try to finish your stories, it helps you become a better writer.

Cheers.
thanks

(1) (Reply)

Borno / Professional Copywriters Needed / The Truth (A Fictional Tale)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.