Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,137 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? (34997 Views)

All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage / She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Sleekyshuga(f): 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sophyrocks:

Thank God you brought these examples. I have an uncle whose wife made him a manager in a bank by her connections. I even see how men are now hammering on marrying ladies who have jobs. No more liabilities. so what do these men making noise here have to say about that? In cases where both husbands and wives share properties together and even contribute equally financially, you wont see all these grammer peeps are blowing here. You would even be surprised that men who have women feeding them are here making noise. Gold digging is in men as much as it is in women jare.
Summary.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by amarachia: 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2015
Court marriage secures a woman especialy frm husbands family if they r d bad ones wen d man is no where to b found(dead)
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 30, 2015
amarachia:
Court marriage secures a woman especialy frm husbands family if they r d bad ones wen d man is no where to b found(dead)
When u have expired the man? The family members should be the check here and not the court.

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Summary.
Women gold-dig 90% the time.

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 30, 2015
ferdimako:

Men have joined the bandwagon.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Sleekyshuga(f): 12:42pm On Mar 30, 2015
ferdimako:

Speak for yourself!!!

Men are GOLD DIGGERS, whether 1% or 50%...

Gold digging is gold digging..
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Moz22: 12:48pm On Mar 30, 2015
Some people fine sha
Sleekyshuga:

Where you get my point(s) wrong..

I was never of the opinion that an educated lady must marry a very wealthy man.. "Every lady to your own".

I was more concerned with ladies who are wealthier, though few but they still do exist.

Btw, marriage comes with its own blessing..
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Speak for yourself!!!

Men are GOLD DIGGERS, whether 1% or 50%...

Gold digging is gold digging..
in ur system 3 is the same as 1?

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:00pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Summary.

Plz babe, Just an enquiry biko...are you the babe doing her IT stuff in one agric farm in Rivers state?...I can't recollect the babe's moniker again but it is something sugar like yours hence my asking...thanks...
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 30, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Plz babe, Just an enquiry biko...are you the babe doing her IT stuff in one agric farm in Rivers state?...I can't recollect the babe's moniker again but it is something sugar like yours hence my asking...thanks...

No business with what you're discussing here but, I like your signature
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Sleekyshuga(f): 1:52pm On Mar 30, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Yea, though not in a Rivers State Agric farm, Songhai..

Twas in a Federal Government Aqua Cultural Centre/Research Centre (ARAC)..

Any problems?
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:57pm On Mar 30, 2015
Krystalxxx:

No business with what you're discussing here but, I like your signature

Sure...thanks....yours too have some good message to pass across...but I need the contact I am searching for not for amorous reasons though...hehehehe...Are you in Songhai or any of the farms there?...
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:03pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Any problems?

Wow...thank God I got you again... You made me a promise of sending me your contacts...to aid me in sorting out some stuff in that sector but you never got back to me even after collecting the number I dropped for you here back then...what happened?...Can we take it up from here again plz...dalu
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 30, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Sure...thanks....yours too have some good message to pass across...but I need the contact I am searching for not for amorous reasons though...hehehehe...Are you in Songhai or any of the farms there?...

No no.......not at all.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Sleekyshuga(f): 2:09pm On Mar 30, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Wow...thank God I got you again... You made me a promise of sending me your contacts...to aid me in sorting out some stuff in that sector but you never got back to me even after collecting the number I dropped for you here back then...what happened?...Can we take it up from here again plz...dalu

Awwwww... Sorry about that...
Do send me a PM! I'll reply you
from ere..
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:11pm On Mar 30, 2015
Krystalxxx:

No no.......not at all.

No wahala...thanks for my mention...I enjoyed the little attention though...hehehehe
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by danbrowndmf(m): 2:18pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Any problems?
are u currently doing ur IT at songhai in bori.:/?
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Sleekyshuga(f): 2:21pm On Mar 30, 2015
danbrowndmf:
are u currently doing ur IT at songhai in bori.:/?
I didn't do there, dear..

I did @ ARAC, Aluu..

We are done.. School resumed on Monday.. We are compiling our IT reports, and preparing for defense..
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by danbrowndmf(m): 2:26pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

I didn't do there, dear..

I did @ ARAC, Aluu..

We are done.. School resumed on Monday.. We are compiling our IT reports, and preparing for defense..
Songha is a fun place to be dou.we went der last year(the one in bori). Am on My IT now.

Sorry, Where do you school?
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Sleekyshuga(f): 2:28pm On Mar 30, 2015
danbrowndmf:
Songha is a fun place to be dou.we went der last year(the one in bori). Am on My IT now.

Sorry, Where do you school?
Fun? grin grin
Course mates had a different testimony..
They were 'used', though they learnt loads..

I'm a student of Uniport smiley..

We are derailing embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Sleekyshuga(f): 2:34pm On Mar 30, 2015
Omojoshy, I sight you kiss wink grin cheesy
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by danbrowndmf(m): 2:35pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Fun? grin grin
Course mates had a different testimony..
They were 'used', though they learnt loads..

I'm a student of Uniport smiley..

We are derailing embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed.
lolz it a fun place to be cus u will learn alot there.cheesy

Which course?

haaaaaa sorry oh,we are derailing.sad
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:
Omojoshy, I sight you kiss wink grin cheesy
I'm still NOT happy with u.....still indoor battling with illness... sad

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Napoleone(m): 4:09pm On Mar 30, 2015
vickylala239:

Funny enuf,u will discover Dat if dis man is married!! Neva near court marriage.

Rather said all points n Mke him look perfect.

Yet d wife is crying @ home.

GOD bless Nigeria.
Well...I must say I'm not married. However, I don't think I need to tout my support and solidarity for statutory marriage. For me, I MUST undergo statutory marriage. In fact, I don't know why you have such thoughts towards me. I've always pray that my wife will never have the to regret marrying me and vice versa. I don't know why I will come and spend my time and energy typing and posting this if I'm an hypocrite. That's why we must all pray to God for someone that will complement us.
Note that if you don't trust your wife, there are other legal means of curbing excesses than spoiling the marriage from foundation. It's well.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Kay17: 6:10pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:
It's quite a lengthy topic but also, an eye opener smiley smiley. Your patience is appreciated.

What Is Marriage?
It is a union between a man, and a woman who makes a permanent, and exclusive commitment..
It is otherwise called Matrimony or Wedlock..

What Is A Court Marriage? It is a legal back up union between a man, and a woman or the sealing of a marriage by Law..

I got into a conversation with a friend this afternoon. He talked about his intentions to settle down when he comes back home (Nigeria, since he has been in Asia) by December.

He literally asked for my assistance in helping him search for a lady he can settle down with. I vividly remember the last time we spoke (Sept. 2013). When I asked about his girlfriend, he said she was fine, and that got me a little confused.

Fast forward to today.....

Jenny: You want to settle down?
Agozie: Yes!
Jenny: What happened to your girlfriend?
Agozie: She is fine.
Jenny: Why are you in search of another lady when you have a girlfriend?
Agozie: Her problems are much.
Jenny: *eager to know*.. What kind of problems?
Agozie: She is constantly asking for a court marriage.
Jenny: And what's wrong with that?
Agozie: Hmmmm... Ladies, and your sense of reasoning. She wants to 'Reap where she did not sow'. Traditional and white wedding is OK for us..

It got me thinking, and I got interested.. I randomly asked few males on my list (25-32 years) range on their take on court marriage.. I'll try to quote them..

1st guy: Why court marriage when I'll properly get married to her? Court marriage na for people wey get belle b4 marriage or people wey their parents no gree give approval..

2nd guy: I've not really thought about it, maybe because I still see it as a Western type of marriage..

3rd guy: Why should I? Na she buy me property?

I continued in my quest to know/learn...

4th guy: Yes, I will. It's the best form of marriage. It protects the lady from any form of maltreatment..

5th guy: Yes, I will. It gives the lady a right, and separation will follow due process..

6th guy: Yes, but other people's opinion matter (such as my spouse family), etc..

My fellow Nairalanders, what's your opinion(s) on court marriage.

The right term is statutory marriage not court marriage. The commonly known church marriage is also a statutory marriage if the Church is registered. The difference between these and traditional marriage are the legal regimes. Two different legal regimes exist due to English and Native personal law divide in Nigeria. Traditional marriages have the complexion of traditional laws and customs ie women can be thrown out of the home conveniently into cold penury. Statutory marriages are. . . more complicated. Anything between those two is not illegal but unrecognized.

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Jok3r(m): 4:38pm On Mar 31, 2015
Sleekyshuga:
It's quite a lengthy topic but also, an eye opener smiley smiley. Your patience is appreciated.

What Is Marriage?
It is a union between a man, and a woman who makes a permanent, and exclusive commitment..
It is otherwise called Matrimony or Wedlock..

What Is A Court Marriage? It is a legal back up union between a man, and a woman or the sealing of a marriage by Law..

I got into a conversation with a friend this afternoon. He talked about his intentions to settle down when he comes back home (Nigeria, since he has been in Asia) by December.

He literally asked for my assistance in helping him search for a lady he can settle down with. I vividly remember the last time we spoke (Sept. 2013). When I asked about his girlfriend, he said she was fine, and that got me a little confused.

Fast forward to today.....

Jenny: You want to settle down?
Agozie: Yes!
Jenny: What happened to your girlfriend?
Agozie: She is fine.
Jenny: Why are you in search of another lady when you have a girlfriend?
Agozie: Her problems are much.
Jenny: *eager to know*.. What kind of problems?
Agozie: She is constantly asking for a court marriage.
Jenny: And what's wrong with that?
Agozie: Hmmmm... Ladies, and your sense of reasoning. She wants to 'Reap where she did not sow'. Traditional and white wedding is OK for us..

It got me thinking, and I got interested.. I randomly asked few males on my list (25-32 years) range on their take on court marriage.. I'll try to quote them..

1st guy: Why court marriage when I'll properly get married to her? Court marriage na for people wey get belle b4 marriage or people wey their parents no gree give approval..

2nd guy: I've not really thought about it, maybe because I still see it as a Western type of marriage..

3rd guy: Why should I? Na she buy me property?

I continued in my quest to know/learn...

4th guy: Yes, I will. It's the best form of marriage. It protects the lady from any form of maltreatment..

5th guy: Yes, I will. It gives the lady a right, and separation will follow due process..

6th guy: Yes, but other people's opinion matter (such as my spouse family), etc..

court marriage d best.

My fellow Nairalanders, what's your opinion(s) on court marriage.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by prissyluv(f): 11:35pm On Apr 01, 2015
Napoleone:
Wow! This is very nice...in fact, I'm falling in love with you right away!
It is noteworthy that the term "court marriage" is informal. It is called "statutory marriage" or "marriage under the Act". In essence, it is not the venue of the marriage that matters or determines but whether the procedures stated in the Marriage Act have been strictly followed. For instance, apart from going to the registry, a statutory marriage can also be conducted in a licenced place of worship-this requires the certificate to be returned to the registry. This goes to show that church blessing is not tantamount to statutory marriage.
However, it is not uncommon for woman to leave the wedding arrangement in the charge of the man. If the man fraudulently pretends to have done 'court wedding' and starts using that to maltreat the woman or threaten to divorce her by any means, the woman can seek legal redress and succeed.
I must also address the fact that "if you're not ready to share what you have with your partner, then why tell her you love her talkless of marrying her?". Research has shown that most males shy away from statutory marriage for a number of reasons which includes, but not limited to, the desire to enjoy the potential to marry as many wives as possible(which the customary marriage guarantee), the reluctance to share both movable and immovable property with the woman, the mischievous intention to divorce her in any manner and at any time etc
The disadvantages of a lady undergoing only a customary marriage with a man are countless but I will mention a few.
1. Polygamy: The man has the right to marry as many wives as possible. In fact, it has been submitted that he has a right to commit adultery.
2. Divorce: The man can divorce the woman in an unscrupulous manner. For example, he can just wake up one morning and send the woman packing. That's the end of the marriage.
3. Custody: The man will have exclusive custody of the children. In other words, the man is the owner of the children unlike statutory marriage where they are jointly owned. The implication of this is that if the man has been nowhere to be found since the birth of the child and the woman has been taking care of the children, he can even come when the they are less than 18years to take them away. Etc
My submission is that any man that refuses to marry you under the Act i.e 'court wedding' is not worth marrying you at all because he is subjecting you to grave insecurity. You should be suspicious of such man.
LADIES!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

I want to ask,if couples have issues and want to divorce without having the marriage act certificate,where can they settle their issues?
I know that customary marriage is recognize by the law but can it be try in court too?
Between customary and statutory marriage,which one supersedes the other?
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Napoleone(m): 11:59pm On Apr 01, 2015
prissyluv:

I want to ask,if couples have issues and want to divorce without having the marriage act certificate,where can they settle their issues?
I know that customary marriage is recognize by the law but can it be try in court too?
Between customary and statutory marriage,which one supersedes the other?
Note that if there is not marriage in existence before, there is nothing to dissolve because mere cohabitation does not constitute a marriage. However, the phrase "without having the Marriage Act Certificate" may mean that they were not married under the statute but under customary law. To dissolve a customary law marriage, there must have been all attempts by members of the family to reconcile the parties. If this fail, the divorce can be initiated by either the husband or the wife. The husband can initiate it by sending the wife packing while the wife can do so by leaving the man's house and informing him that she is through with the marriage.
However, it is pertinent to note that a customary marriage only comes to an end when the husband has been refunded the bride price/dowry paid to the wife's family in respect of the wife. As a result of this, it has also been submitted that a wife can bring a customary law marriage to and end by going through the preliminary steps of a marriage with another man, with a view to reforming the estranged husband the bride price from the one the new husband will pay.
It is noteworthy that the parties sometimes resort to court for a divorce order because there are circumstances where the husband or the wife may refuse to recognise the divorce and this may affect the either's subsequent remarriage (especially when the want to undergo statutory marriage).
As regards the question of which is superior between statutory and customary law marriage, there has been several argument in an attempt to find a definite answer to this question. However, where parties undergo both statutory and customary law marriage, also known as double deck marriage, authors appear to favour the view that the statutory marriage supersedes.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by prissyluv(f): 12:20am On Apr 02, 2015
Napoleone:
Note that if there is not marriage in existence before, there is nothing to dissolve because mere cohabitation does not constitute a marriage. However, the phrase "without having the Marriage Act Certificate" may mean that they were not married under the statute but under customary law. To dissolve a customary law marriage, there must have been all attempts by members of the family to reconcile the parties. If this fail, the divorce can be initiated by either the husband or the wife. The husband can initiate it by sending the wife packing while the wife can do so by leaving the man's house and informing him that she is through with the marriage.
However, it is pertinent to note that a customary marriage only comes to an end when the husband has been refunded the bride price/dowry paid to the wife's family in respect of the wife. As a result of this, it has also been submitted that a wife can bring a customary law marriage to and end by going through the preliminary steps of a marriage with another man, with a view to reforming the estranged husband the bride price from the one the new husband will pay.
It is noteworthy that the parties sometimes resort to court for a divorce order because there are circumstances where the husband or the wife may refuse to recognise the divorce and this may affect the either's subsequent remarriage (especially when the want to undergo statutory marriage).
As regards the question of which is superior between statutory and customary law marriage, there has been several argument in an attempt to find a definite answer to this question. However, where parties undergo both statutory and customary law marriage, also known as double deck marriage, authors appear to favour the view that the statutory marriage supersedes.

Wow,quite insightful. Thanks a lot.
So if a partner who wedded under the customary law goes to a court of law to dissolve his/her marriage,what evidence will he/she present to the court as being married to the said person? Will the terms of property sharing and who takes responsiblity of the children(if any) be decided by the court too?

So,is it possible to have a statutory marriage forgoing the customary without aftermath consequences?

Hope you dont mind my too much questions. Thanks
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Napoleone(m): 8:05am On Apr 02, 2015
prissyluv:

Wow,quite insightful. Thanks a lot.
So if a partner who wedded under the customary law goes to a court of law to dissolve his/her marriage,what evidence will he/she present to the court as being married to the said person? Will the terms of property sharing and who takes responsiblity of the children(if any) be decided by the court too?

So,is it possible to have a statutory marriage forgoing the customary without aftermath consequences?

Hope you dont mind my too much questions. Thanks
Battery low! Will reply later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bride Showers Praises On Her Mother And Prostrates For Her In Her Wedding Gown / Pregnant Mom Has Baby's Face On Her Stomach / Afribaby Mother And Baby Expo 2015 In Gbagada Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.