Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka (71957 Views)

IBB Shuns Governorship And House Of Assembly Elections In Niger / National Assembly Elections: APC Sweeps Senate / #NigeriaDecides2015: Presidential/National Assembly Election Live Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by thinkdip(m): 12:13am On Mar 30, 2015
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has described the presidential and National Assembly elections as the most vicious, unprincipled, vulgar and violent he had ever witnessed.

Soyinka, in an interview with The Guardian UK on Sunday, was quoted as saying, “We’re talking about a very positive response by the public in terms of determination to register and vote but, you know, this has been one of the most vicious, unprincipled, vulgar and violent exercises I have ever witnessed.

“I just hope we won’t go down as being the incorrigible giant of Africa.”

According to Soyinka, the stakes appear to be so high that all scruples have been set aside and it’s very distressing to compare this election with that of 1993, which was one of the most orderly, civilised and resolute elections the country ever had.

He said, “This one was like a no-holds-barred kind of election, especially, frankly, from the incumbency side. One shouldn’t be too surprised anyway given the kind of people who are manning the barricades for the incumbent candidate.

“Most expensive, most prodigal, wasteful, senseless, I mean really insensitive in terms of what people live on in this country.

“This was the real naira-dollar extravaganza, spent on just subverting, shall we say, the natural choices of people. Just money instead of argument, instead of position statements.

“And of course the sponsoring of violence in various places, in addition to this festive atmosphere in which every corner, every pillar, every electric pole is adorned with one candidate or the other, many of them in poses which remind one of Nollywood.”

Soyinka, who told The Guardian how he was recently invited by President Goodluck Jonathan to discuss various issues, said, “We even discussed life after power, whenever that takes place.

“It was difficult for me to decide from his side how readily he might accept defeat. He absolutely swore that if he lost he was going back to Otuoke village. If I take him literally, I think he will accept the result, but I’ve learned never to trust any politician from here to there, even if they’re just coming out of communion. So I really don’t know.

“I think Nigerians have had a very rough time over the last few years with Boko Haram and all kinds of insecurity, failure of governance and so on. I think we deserve to have this period as a period of comparative tranquillity and peace of mind to reconstruct and address some really fundamental issues of society. So I really hope the result, however gracelessly or grudgingly, will be accepted by the loser.”

www.punchng.com/news/presidential-nassembly-elections-vicious-soyinka/

55 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by oleary(m): 12:17am On Mar 30, 2015
Ok
Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by oakson: 12:17am On Mar 30, 2015
I concur with you sir, jona.fraud is a political vampire
Sai Buhari

172 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by januzaj(m): 12:20am On Mar 30, 2015
SAI BABA

23 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by KenJak(m): 12:20am On Mar 30, 2015
Seriously, Jonathan's regime is moreorless a military regime. Anyway, Jonathan should start saying GOODBYE to Aso Rock...

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by kilokeys(m): 12:24am On Mar 30, 2015
this man is intelligent

45 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by coded01: 12:38am On Mar 31, 2015
grin grin

BUHARI is our chosen one. cheesy

He is also fighter... grin

Flawless Victory!!! cheesy

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by fratermathy(m): 12:39am On Mar 31, 2015
Soyinka is Nigeria's foremost non-partisan governmental critic.

Have some questions? Get them answered on this thread :

https://www.nairaland.com/2225497/ask-me-question-amorc-other

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by snowland(m): 12:39am On Mar 31, 2015
We has won.... Correct me at your own peril..

Meanwhile, this land is not for sale. Beware of my Son, Kamorudeen, Omo ale jati jati.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by fratermathy(m): 12:39am On Mar 31, 2015

27 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by okotv(m): 12:39am On Mar 31, 2015
prof speaks. By the way I saw otuoke in the write up, that village has a university and I think Jonathan would be a nice lecturer there. The APC can also give him a ministerial post to compensate him. All in all Nigeria wins. That's the goal.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by ahwal20: 12:39am On Mar 31, 2015
sai baba

1 Like

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by Crocz(m): 12:40am On Mar 31, 2015
Make him no accept na...him case go worse pass Gbagbo...so tey him go begin dey beg Nigerians for Gbagbo treatment

15 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by stnwani(m): 12:40am On Mar 31, 2015
May turbulence not characterise the announcements of the final result of who take the seat in Aso Rock...AMEN

Click like if u support dis prayer...

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by Opiosko: 12:40am On Mar 31, 2015
The only thing this hunter is good at is speaking English.

14 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by ayukdaboss(m): 12:40am On Mar 31, 2015
What happened especially in Rivers State is very unfortunate. Shame on Patience Gbagbo and Jonathan Gbagbo!!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 31, 2015
The attitude of mama peace, fani, fayose, wike sums it up

5 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by armadeo(m): 12:40am On Mar 31, 2015
It is the dawn of a new era...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by igbsam(m): 12:40am On Mar 31, 2015
word!!
Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by contactmorak: 12:41am On Mar 31, 2015
I hope Soyinka didn't travel out. The interview be better granted to. Their reporter here in Nigeria because some of these so called activists know how to go hide in foreign countries for safety at the time like this.

13 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by Bonapart(m): 12:41am On Mar 31, 2015
Please what's he saying....
Take a rest old man

7 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by amokeme(f): 12:42am On Mar 31, 2015
Pls.. The result should not exceed today biko!
#change all the way smiley

4 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by Capitano1(m): 12:43am On Mar 31, 2015
Seeing everything happening in just a matter of hrs, seeing Jona packing like theirs no place to hide, and me be holding our country like never before.
There is joy in change

2 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by fratermathy(m): 12:44am On Mar 31, 2015
amokeme:
Pls.. The result should not exceed today biko!
#change all the way smiley
They have an ulterior motive that's why they are reluctant to release the scores. I see no reason why election results are not out after 48hours.

Meanwhile check out this thread

1 Like

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by hustler86(m): 12:44am On Mar 31, 2015
An elite's point of view. So nice a piece of speech #GMB2015 smiley

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by Mbamally(m): 12:44am On Mar 31, 2015
#Ihavedecided
#buhariiswinning
#gejislosing
#GMBtoAsoRock
#saibababuhari

#TeamAPC

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by BlackGirlsCode: 12:44am On Mar 31, 2015
“It was difficult for me to decide from his side how readily he might accept defeat. He absolutely swore that if he lost he was going back to Otuoke village. If I take him literally, I think he will accept the result, but I’ve learned never to trust any politician from here to there, even if they’re just coming out of communion. So I really don’t know.

lmao...I feel sorry for residents of Otuoke.

4 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by shizzleStar: 12:44am On Mar 31, 2015
talking again too early, arent you ever tired of taking a swipe at GEJ?

5 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by fratermathy(m): 12:45am On Mar 31, 2015
Capitano1:
Seeing everything happening in just a matter hrs, seeing Jona packing like their no place to hide, and me be holding our country like never before.
There is joy in change

They never see anything at all.
grin

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by Nobody: 12:45am On Mar 31, 2015
fratermathy:
Soyinka is Nigeria's foremost non-partisan governmental critic.

Have some questions? Get them answered on this thread :

There's no help for you in the occult, pull out!

4 Likes

Re: Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka by Akposkool(m): 12:45am On Mar 31, 2015
I think he already stated the loser. Like for GMB share for GMB kill yourself for Jonathan

20 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dave Umahi Building Project In Abakaliki, Ebonyi (Photos) / Photos Of How Nigerian Prisoners Sleep And Enjoy Their Life / Jimi Agbaje Called Akinwunmi Ambode To Congratulate Him Screenshot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.