Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:52 PM

Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy (16159 Views)

You Are Insane, Nigerians Voted Jonathan Out - Presidency Blasts Reno Omokiri / Boko Haram And Jonathan: The Truth Unfolds - Thisday / NIGERIANS VOTED JONATHAN BECAUSE OF THE NAME "GOODLUCK" - PASTOR SAM ADEYEMI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Afam4eva(m): 9:31pm On Mar 31, 2015
Once again i congratulate Buhari for emerging Nigeria's new president and also Jonathan for conceding. Both are African records.

Now, i've been seeing comments about Igbos flying all around from nairaland to social media sites and it's really pitiful that Nigerians can descend to such levels of hypocrisy. I for one have wondered why Igbos believe so much in Jonathan. it actually beats me. But i realized that's the beauty of democracy. You never just understand why people support the other candidate and you probably will never understand. They also don't understand why you're supporting your own candidate. it's a two way street. My major grouse is the fact that people are tainting the support of majority of Igbos for Jonathan as a tribal thing and i'm like WTF. How can it be tribal even when the person they're supporting is not even Igbo. It's hypocritical that Buhari swept the North just like he did in 2011 and nobody is accusing them of tribalism considering that Buhari is hausa/Fulani but you're accusing a tribe that supports someone who's not their tribesman for tribalism. You can accuse these people for anything but never tribalism. They reserve the unapologetic right to support who they deem fit and it's not anyone's business.

Congrats Buhari

106 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by NewsEmpireNG(f): 9:33pm On Mar 31, 2015
Well said... U try small, u really gats brain! Lol

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by gal10(f): 9:34pm On Mar 31, 2015
Tell them joo

3 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by olu77(m): 9:35pm On Mar 31, 2015
It's a free world and I agree with you that that is the beauty of democracy. I will vote for an igbo president in 2019 as long as a credible candidate is presented.

#[size=15pt]NO[/size] to tribalism

10 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by kamsymuna: 9:35pm On Mar 31, 2015
Afam pls respond to my mail
Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by champion69(m): 9:37pm On Mar 31, 2015
Those making such assertion are only doing that out of ignorance, they always blind there thought against the reason the northern vote massively for GMB, but look towards the easterners that is voting according to there belief for GEJ.

7 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by MrPresident1: 9:38pm On Mar 31, 2015
God bless GEJ, President of Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by deeptechcool(m): 9:41pm On Mar 31, 2015
Keep deceiving yourself. Igbos still need to learn the rudiments of politics. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

Happy CHANGE day Nigerians.

22 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by oakson: 9:44pm On Mar 31, 2015
As far as am concerned Yorubas remain the most detribalised tribe in Nigeria, as we were torn into two by the two parties. Going by the avalanche of votes that were ceded to Jonathan in the east, I can convincingly assert that igbos are far from being a nationalist! Its so glaring... Let's call a spade a spade! You need to hear the comments coming from most of your kinsmen (that we crossed paths) on their reasons for supporting GEJ(a particular igbo lady lost 600thousand naira due to the fall of the naira yet she sees nothing wrong in GEJ's govt).
Just like saying he is ours let him ruin it if he likes

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 31, 2015
Great point made OP. I asked my yoruba friend quite without malice...would you have supported GMB if APC had chosen an Igbo vp? He paused and said no. By the same token, had APC adopted Yoruba/Igbo, frankly they will lose northern vote block. So let's stop the hypocrisy!

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by kettykin: 9:46pm On Mar 31, 2015
The problem is not igbos, the problem is Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by pendicle: 9:48pm On Mar 31, 2015
It is the rigged result that is confusing most people they assumed the 99% difference between GEJ and GMB is a reflection of the mindse of easterners.

PDPs stealing of the vote cast for APC in the SS and SE did so much injustice to the unity and disversity of the people of Nigeria.
They caused huge loss to the positioning of both regions in the heirarchy of leadership in Nigeria.

Now the Leadership of the national assembly will be shared solely between the entire north and the south west solely.

It's a hard lesson for people of the south east for allowing the massive rigging in their enclave because they thought they were helping their cousin from the delta.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by DollyParton1(f): 9:49pm On Mar 31, 2015
Well, it would have been a different ball game if the VP was an igbo.

Now the combination of an Hausa and a Yoruba does not appeal to an average igbo person.

7 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Sylvarresta(m): 9:50pm On Mar 31, 2015
Where are d witches and wizards dat endorse GEJ.... Chai de don scam my ex president

6 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by shortgun(m): 9:51pm On Mar 31, 2015
My brother one of the reasons why GEJ conceded defeat is to prevent people from been killed (especially Igbos) in the North and other parts of the Country.

It's very glaring that this Election was massively rigged in favor of APC in the states where they controlled.

An average Northerner is tribal ; but they will be quick accuse other tribes of tribalism.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by kay1one(m): 9:51pm On Mar 31, 2015
deeptechcool:
Keep deceiving yourself. Igbos still need to learn the rudiments of politics. Never put your eggs in one basket.

Happy CHANGE day Nigerians.

Snitch! Loyalty matters too!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by shortgun(m): 9:53pm On Mar 31, 2015
DollyParton1:
Well, it would have been a different ball game if the VP was an igbo.

Now the combination of an Hausa and a Yoruba does not appeal to an average igbo person.
Sweetheart, an average Igboman doesn't expect much from the Govt.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by chymystique(f): 9:53pm On Mar 31, 2015
kettykin:
The problem is not igbos, the problem is Nigeria

Well said! "Tribalism". "Ethinicity". and that's two of the major factors hindering the growth of this Country. If igbos are hypocrites, Northerners are now what?? Those people should sticck their opinions about igbos and their choice of candidiate in their buttts!. Anyways an average ibo man doesnt even care about Nigeria politics and thats why they rather go about their daily business than vote.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 31, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 31, 2015
pendicle:
It is the rigged result that is confusing most people they assumed the 99% difference between GEJ and GMB is a reflection of the mindse of easterners.

PDPs stealing of the vote cast for APC in the SS and SE did so much injustice to the unity and disversity of the people of Nigeria.
They caused huge loss to the positioning of both regions in the heirarchy of leadership in Nigeria.

Now the Leadership of the national assembly will be shared solely between the entire north and the south west solely.

It's a hard lesson for people of the south east for allowing the massive rigging in their enclave because they thought they were helping their cousin from the delta.

This is the type of reply that reeks fruit of ignorance and hypocrisy. This fellow is blatantly exhibiting the very same hypocrisy the OP was alluding to...being judgmental/hypocritical. You are accusing SE and SS of rigging clearly absorbing the North of any wrong doing.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by francizy(m): 9:59pm On Mar 31, 2015
Afam4eva may God bless you for this.

I chose not to insult or argue with people based on this issue.

GEJ an Ijaw man and Sambo a Hausa/Fulani, which of them is related to the Igbos?

But we're tagged biased. All the same, I'm proud that we Igbos made a statement in this election and cannot be underestimated, albeit not being serious enough. It showed greatly in real life, on here and other social networks.

Now imaging if our people had been as serious as the Hausa/Fulani in voting, don't you think this would have been a kind of tie or something?

A good example of how our presence is felt is Lagos state. Someday, we will be able to produce a deputy and afterwards, a governor in Lagos state.

We Igbos respect people in our homeland and also respect our hosts (though same can be said of the Yorubas). If you think it's a lie, then compare Lagos state to Jos/Plateau State and tell me if same visitors in Plateau were the ones in large numbers here in Lagos if there wouldn't have been tribal/religious crises all over Lagos.

I don't normally go tribal but there are some issues that needs to be addressed.

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by DollyParton1(f): 10:00pm On Mar 31, 2015
shortgun:

Sweetheart, an average Igboman doesn't expect much from the Govt.
No, an average Nigerian expects nothing from the government. Thats why the voting is mostly based on tribal sentiments

2 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 31, 2015
We all know who the real Hypocrites are. Let us not pretend not to know that 60% of northerners unlike the southerners who supported Buhari voted out of tribal and religious sentiments. I personally know yorubas who voted APC because Osibanjo is a yoruba man.They can deny it but the truth stands!
Not all from the north or west voted Buhari and not all from the south south or south east voted Jonathan.

This topic of yours will only instigate hate against the Igbos (but we are used to it) because some olodos will not read but rush to comment. Thanks thou for clearly pointing out to the 'zombies' who thinks everyone from the south is Igbo. Jonathan is Ijaw from Bayelsa state not Igbo from the south east and no offense to my south south brothers,you people too don't like Igbos just like other tribes (story for another day thou) the reason,we Igbos sincerely don't care to know!

I can say with fact that 30% of the Igbo population voted Buhari. Before you think about the south east votes,remember the population of Igbos in other parts of Nigeria.The number of accredited voters in the south east is less than the number in other parts of the country. Like I told NDIGBO on Facebook,relax and don't take it personal,let the Niger Delta people mourn their loss afterall most of them didn't want GEJ which was obvious in Rivers and Edo. And I give them kudos because they clearly didn't vote out of sentiment,it's not easy denying your brother in a country where every region desperately wants power.
The humble president accepted defeat without instigating war. We did our best but the majority decided.

Congrats Rtd General Buhari.

Meanwhile,I need an 'ogbunigwe' and the identity of this bastard. Let me murder him before he murders any Igbo man.

34 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by sinizia: 10:07pm On Mar 31, 2015
Afam4eva:
My major grouse is the fact that people are tainting the support of majority of Igbos for Jonathan as a tribal thing and i'm like WTF. How can it be tribal even when the person they're supporting is not even Igbo. It's hypocritical that Buhari swept the North just like he did in 2011 and nobody is accusing them of tribalism considering that Buhari is hausa/Fulani but you're accusing a tribe that supports someone who's not their tribesman for tribalism. You can accuse these people for anything but never tribalism. They reserve the unapologetic right to support who they deem fit and it's not anyone's business.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1991732_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

Anyone accusing Ndi Igbo of tribalism has his remaining 4 fingers pointing back at him. Hausas don't vote outside their tribe/religion. The SW went with Tinubu and other SWestern Governors/leaders to vote Buhari. If Igbos can be accused of tribalism fo supporting GEJ/Sambo with nothing for Igbos, then there's no word to describe the hypocrisy of other tribes.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by pendicle: 10:07pm On Mar 31, 2015
new2020:

This is the type of reply that reeks fruit of ignorance and hypocrisy. This fellow is blatantly existing the very same hypocrisy the OP was alluding to...being judgmental/hypocritical. You are accusing SE and SS of rigging clearly absorbing the North.
Craziness is imbibed in your lineage if you can't compare the difference in the percentage of accredited voters and the total vote cast for PDP alone In the 2 regions. Look at enugu with APC having candidates in all electives post in the state and you think only 12k people voted APC compared to the 550k of the PDP.

PDP had 1.4m in Rivers and amaechi a sitting governor could not get 100k votes was Kano likethat

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by ikenga67: 10:10pm On Mar 31, 2015
Afam4eva:
Once again i congratulate Buhari for emerging Nigeria's new president and also Jonathan for conceding. Both are African records.

Now, i've been seeing comments about Igbos flying all around from nairaland to social media sites and it's really pitiful that Nigerians can descend to such levels of hypocrisy. I for one have wondered why Igbos believe so much in Jonathan. it actually beats me. But i realized that's the beauty of democracy. You never just understand why people support the other candidate and you probably will never understand. They also don't understand why you're supporting your own candidate. it's a two way street. My major grouse is the fact that people are tainting the support of majority of Igbos for Jonathan as a tribal thing and i'm like WTF. How can it be tribal even when the person they're supporting is not even Igbo. It's hypocritical that Buhari swept the North just like he did in 2011 and nobody is accusing them of tribalism considering that Buhari is hausa/Fulani but you're accusing a tribe that supports someone who's not their tribesman for tribalism. You can accuse these people for anything but never tribalism. They reserve the unapologetic right to support who they deem fit and it's not anyone's business.

Congrats Buhari

My brother lets call a spade a spade here...we really dropped the ball on this one. No matter how anyone wants to parse it, history will surely record this as one of the lowest of lows for the Igbo nation. That a proud, very discerning and fiercly independent-minded people, through skillful manipulation by a handle of their so called leaders ( who in turn are nothing but a shameless clache of bean-counting Abuja/Lagos contractors), allowed unfounded primal fear and grade-school propaganda to turn the entire Igbo nation into the pathetic enclave of an accidental, clueless and weak president, from a people who still largely see their ethnic identity through a mixture of jealousy and hatred of the swash-buckling Igbo, is tragic and calls for deep soul searching.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by bennyrazz: 10:10pm On Mar 31, 2015
so much expectations from GMB/PYO, I pray they succeed o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Rhino5dm: 10:11pm On Mar 31, 2015
Don't cry me a river, cry me a lagoon.

3 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 31, 2015
pendicle:

Craziness is imbibed in your lineage if you can't compare the difference in the percentage of accredited voters and the total vote cast for PDP alone In the 2 regions. Look at enugu with APC having candidates in all electives post in the state and you think only 12k people voted APC compared to the 550k of the PDP.

PDP had 1.4m in Rivers and amaechi a sitting governor could not get 100k votes was Kano likethat

Very nescient and asinine fellow devoid of the ability to comprehend the context of the OP post....HYPOCRISY. You continue to exhibit the very same hypocrisy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by sinizia: 10:15pm On Mar 31, 2015
oakson:
As far as am concerned Yorubas remain the most detribalised tribe in Nigeria, as we were torn into two by the two parties. Going by the avalanche of votes that was ceded to Jonathan in the east, I can convincingly assert that igbos are far from being a nationalist! Its so glaring... Let's call a spade a spade! You need to hear the comments coming from most of your kinsmen (that we crossed paths) on their reasons for supporting GEJ(a particular igbo lady lost 600thousand naira due to the fall of the naira yet she sees nothing wrong in GEJ's govt).
Just like saying he is ours let him ruin it if he likes

Let's call a spade a spade! You needed to hear the comments coming from most of your kinsmen (that I crossed paths with) on their reasons for supporting Buhari (a particular Yoruba lady said she knows Tinubu is more corrupt than GEJ but since PDP has no Yoruba as a VP, she'll go for APC because of Osibanjo).

Just like saying APC is corrupt but if a Yoruba rep is there, I can overlook it.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by Beautymc(f): 10:16pm On Mar 31, 2015
The poster above me is showing how his parents brought him up.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Voted Jonathan - The Hypocrisy by sinizia: 10:18pm On Mar 31, 2015
new2020:
Great point made OP. I asked my yoruba friend quite without malice...would you have supported GMB if APC had chosen an Igbo vp? He paused and said no. By the same token, had APC adopted Yoruba/Igbo, frankly they will lose northern vote block. So let's stop the hypocrisy!

The end of discussion. The fact still remains that Nigeria democracy is a farce. It's tailored along tribe, religion and sentiments and not on merit!!

pendicle:

You started well but ended badly with your embolden. The fact still remains that both APC and PDP rigged. The rigging was in the entire country. Don't blame the SE alone. North and West both rigged too.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians Protest In UK Over Killings In Plateau By Fulani Herdsmen (Photos) / Pantami Orders Probe Of Payment For Digital Identity Number / Ohanaeze Lauds Buhari For Fulfilling Second Niger Bridge Promise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.