Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. (1491 Views)

15 Things Buhari Is Doing To Cut Down Cost Of Governance By Lauretta Onochie / Omojuwa: The Difference Between Lagos And Ekiti In Terms Of Governance / ‘stop Making Mockery Of Governance’ PDP Tells APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by highmood(m): 10:26am On Apr 01, 2015
Dear Nairalanders, the Presidential election is over and the winner known, we are waiting for the gubernatorial election. I think it will be interesting and educative as intellectuals, professionals, learners, groups etc. to make known the mistakes of president Goodluck Jonathan and what we as a the leaders of tomorrow should learn from his leadership style.
Please feel free to make an input. Thank you.
Let me hit the ground running:

1. President Goodluck made a mistake in relying solely on the north which later affected his re-election notwithstanding all he did for them at the expense of other regions. Simply stated, the result from the north shows evidence of betrayal. The southwest would have come to the rescue having had that assurance that the southeast and south south would give him votes, but he rather approached them(SW) late when the change slogan has taken over them else the division of votes- in politics let every region, tribes feel you pain as well as the gains in considerable measure.

2. President Goodluck failed to take the activities of professor Jega and many other ministers into consideration. He so trusted them that he overlooked every thing they did even the advice people gave to him about Jega been compromised. Even when it was clear that there were underage voters registration, when the south complained about delay and missing PVCs, the president never responded decisive-Problem of so much trust and strictness.

3. The visit of Buhari to UK may have changed things. I think the UK may have reminded the northern governors and elites of the slogan "Born to Rule" else they decided to support Buhari-There are powers that be, you must not underestimate.

4. Religion cannot be underestimated. The north are not all that tribalistic but thier religion can changed thier psyche- let the faith you believe in feel your commitment but not to the detriment of others. Let other religions never see you as a threat to them

5. The nature of the economy especially the issue of power which people has been yearning for was not addressed. When Prof. Nnaji did the magic in the power sector, citizens of Nigeria and abroad commended him. If it were to be during an election, Goodluck would have won just because of that, But unfortunately, he let the intelligent Prof to go and kept getting wrong feedback from some rich political class working with him- well as a future leader, never take the voices and the yearnings of the people for granted. Just as they say, the voices of the people is the voice of God

6. Goodluck knew those corrupt people, yet he never acted. He rather he chained the EFCC somewhere just as been witness in NAFDAC and allowed those corrupt people to flaunt thier ill gotten wealth.- the lesson is that sometimes you use some people as scape goats, others will learn quickly.

7. Fear. President Goodluck was scared. He allowed the propaganda of the opposition and even threat as well as activities of some northerners to drown him- as a leader, be fearless but impartial.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by ITbomb(m): 10:37am On Apr 01, 2015
You will live long

And don't forget the outrageous utterances, overbearing and uncomfortable conducts of the women in the corridor of power.

Upon everything, what I hated most was the blocking of roads, causing hardship to people you are expecting to get votes from whenever you are in the vicinity.

If only Jonathan had concentrated on electricity, it would have been easier.

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 01, 2015
1. He played tribal politics, using the ibos for the job.
2. Dividing the nation along religious lines.
3. He called a section of the country the pillar of his administration, a statement that further fuelled the divide in the nation.
4. He supported impunity and robbed it on the faces of nigerians like sh1t.
5. He was highly corrupt and never gave a damn what we thought about it.
6. He failed to carry the SW along and called them rascals who play amala and ewedu politics.
7. He neglected the northeast, especially borno state, and made boko haram to have a field day in the region. Thesame borno was the last state to have its votes collated, which signify them nailing GEJ's coffin of defeat.
I can go on and on, but hand go pain me abeg
Re: Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by olaric(m): 10:55am On Apr 01, 2015
Appointing people like FFK, Doyin Okupe and the likes.

Not being able to tame people like PEJ and Fayose.

Not appointing any influential person from the South-West among his ministers.

Allowing thousands of lives to waste away in the North.

Playing tribal and religious politics.
Re: Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by sammyj: 11:09am On Apr 01, 2015
The lesson learnt from GEJ administration is to have control over my wife even if I love her too much !!!
Re: Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by Joel3(m): 11:14am On Apr 01, 2015
transformation agenda. was a mistake.

transformation is not an agenda. two point agenda would have been better and did the magic. no need for too much things.

1. power. electricity constant in every part of the nation

2. low pump price, probably refining of all our oil consumption. and utilising the 250,000 free barrel of crude for Nigerians daily which is part of OPEC recommendation just like other oil nation.
example Venezuela. 3 naira for fuel.

with this Nigeria Will want to keep on with Jonathan for the next decades.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by dazdilijae(m): 11:59am On Apr 01, 2015
Every1 know the good things 2 b done and the bad things not to be done, decisions are made based on information and understanding of same.
Thank God nigerian have decide 1 way or the other( voting or rigging) we all know we ve handed power to the veryy people we are running away from.
Let's all for once pray for the new leader this time rather than blame and pull down the country like we did in the past four years just becos we didn't like the man.( for fear of him favouring the SS or dividing the country)
My sincere hope is that we would all be vocal and as vibrant as we ve been in the ppast 4 months when the new govt starts and when the N5000 per graduate NYSC does not flow we say it as it and not blame on the past.
Long live Nigeria
Long live Democracy
cool God bless Freedom of Speech
ThankGod 4 GEJ's FOI bill they can't operate the way they do in the states grin
Re: Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by highmood(m): 12:11pm On Apr 01, 2015
Nice comments guys. I I have grabbed more than four points from your comments.
Re: Mistakes And Lessons From President Goodluck Jonathan's Style Of Governance. by Safari29: 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2015
for me oh, Jonathan is not a leader in the first place, he was just fortunate to be there

(1) (Reply)

Africa Must Be Emancipated (kenyan Massacre 2nd April 2015) ) / Do You Know The Vice-president Elect Yemi Osibanjo? Read This. / Buhari’s Daughter Allegedly Walks Lady Out Of Boutique In Abuja(see Tweets)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.