Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,816 members, 7,806,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:10 PM

I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega (41038 Views)

Do Not Accept Governor Fayose's Food, Rams - Imams Tell Ekiti Muslims / Jega Is Stylishly Asking For Tenure Renewal / Buhari: We Feared Jonathan will Not Accept Defeat - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Sirniyeh(m): 4:13am On Apr 02, 2015
The chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Attahiru Jega, has declared that he would not serve another term as boss of the electoral body when his first tenure expires in June, even if he is asked.

Speaking in an interview with the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC Hausa) last night which was monitored by our reporter in Abuja, Jega said having played his role in the political space for five years, it was time another person was given the chance to contribute his own quota.

The nation’s chief electoral officer in the just-concluded March 28 presidential election acknowledged that the task of leading INEC was a difficult one, and said he was not interested in tenure renewal and would not accept an offer of extension.

“I am grateful to God. I was asked to come and contribute my own quota to the national development and I have done my bit to the best of my ability.

“Whatever assignment one will do for five years – just like this difficult one, to me if one is able to successfully accomplish the task, someone else should be given the opportunity, because for me I am not interested and if I am requested to serve again, I will not do it, by God’s grace,” Jega said.

He noted that the introduction of the card reader device in the 2015 general elections had significantly helped to make the presidential election transparent, adding that there were few challenges that would be looked into in the forthcoming governorship/state assembly elections, including late coming attitude of electoral officials to polling centres.

Commenting on the allegations of bias against him by PDP chieftain, Mr Godsday Orubebe, at the National Collation Centre in Abuja on Tuesday, Jega said he was unperturbed because he knew he had nothing to hide.

“I maintained my calmness because I knew all the allegations were false. There is nothing that frightens me or disturbs me because, of all our actions, we have explanations for them,” he added.

Jega was appointed by President Goodluck Jonathan in 2010 to replace Prof Maurice Iwu. His five-year tenure elapses in June this year.

www.leadership.ng/news/422491/ill-not-accept-tenure-renewal-jega

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by eleko1: 4:18am On Apr 02, 2015
Kudos to Prof JEGA,U are one of my role model cool wink

225 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by KingTom(m): 4:20am On Apr 02, 2015
I just admire this man, especially the calm way with which he handled the thug Orubebe! He should be given a key position, this is a true Nigerian, unlike Maurice Iwu who was a disgrace to himself and his family. Buhari please make Jega EFCC chairman.

Sai Baba
Sai Buhari
Sai APC

182 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:27am On Apr 02, 2015
E beta for u oh. Mak u no come fumble. #onetenuresurepass

9 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by efilefun(m): 4:30am On Apr 02, 2015
Better... He should be made the minister of Education, he was ASUU chairman under OBJ and I believe he would know a lot about the educational system

Sai Jega

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by lilbabyak(m): 4:30am On Apr 02, 2015
This is what real men are known for, they font cling to power

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by trillville(m): 4:33am On Apr 02, 2015
If I were buhari, I would insist that jega continues. We need a person Nigerians perceive as fair and balanced.

As the saying goes, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Buhari should also keep the minister of agriculture too.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by YoursGEJ(m): 4:39am On Apr 02, 2015
He must remain there oo grin grin grin

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Austin4lif: 4:40am On Apr 02, 2015
After handing over power to your brother, why will u stay. We are watching u in 6d camera

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Nobody: 4:43am On Apr 02, 2015
Jega must go on terminal leave. Maurice Iwu did thesame thing. :ahahahahahah

3 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Nobody: 4:44am On Apr 02, 2015
efilefun:
Better... He should be made the minister of Education, he was ASUU chairman under OBJ and I believe he would know a lot about the educational system

Sai Jega
he should be made EFCC chairman or bow out now that the ovation is high on wet weed.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Krinel(f): 4:46am On Apr 02, 2015
Ok na new post u go get u hear?, beta pikin

4 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Raiders: 4:47am On Apr 02, 2015
It will be very hard to find a replacement that is impartial like prof Jega

15 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Disclaimer: 4:48am On Apr 02, 2015
It's a wise decision to walk away when the ovation is loud. Else, em politicians rubbish your enviable profile.

7 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by seunfly: 4:50am On Apr 02, 2015
EFCC
POLICE REFORM COMMITTEE
POWER REFORM COMMITTEE
EDUCATION REFORM COMMITTEE
REFINERY DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE

I think he will fit into any of this area.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Habayomie(m): 4:54am On Apr 02, 2015
He is not the 1st govt official to say so;Fashola,Jonathan said so during their 1st term.

5 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Nobody: 5:05am On Apr 02, 2015
Habayomie:
He is not the 1st govt official to say so;Fashola,Jonathan said so during their 1st term.
I am still looking for an opportunity to vote for Fashola again!

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by GboyegaD(m): 5:39am On Apr 02, 2015
I love his person and the fact that he recognizes that it is best to take a bow when the ovation is at its peak.

6 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by midolian(m): 5:39am On Apr 02, 2015
You have to love this man

8 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by phlemzy: 5:47am On Apr 02, 2015
If Jega turns down a second term,he should equally refuse an EFCC job,as his personality may be bashed as people will begin to see him as a tool used by the new government. If he has a good knowledge of what is happening in the Power sector,I'll prefer he accepts that,as that sector needs urgent attention & a sincere head. If finally he refuses to take all these,I'm sure an international job will come up for him. A tenacious man to the end!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Nobody: 5:50am On Apr 02, 2015
That's the best..its better to bow out,when the ovation is the loudest..

He's done his best to keep his head high..

Thank you sir.

3 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by olatade(m): 6:11am On Apr 02, 2015
You are a good example of how commitment and hard work pay off.(Credible elections)

This honor indicates a promising future for the nation sir, We wish you the very best.

Thank you prof

8 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by hijacke(m): 6:12am On Apr 02, 2015
J.E.G.A = Just Endend Goodluck's Administration

12 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Nobody: 6:12am On Apr 02, 2015
Stephen Okechukwu Keshi should learn from this.
Suleiman Abba should hear this.

Sai Jega ...a man of the people

Sai Buhari...success is assured

Cc: lalasticlala, Oga Seun abeg needful is required ...this deserve business class seat for FP.

6 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by umarc19: 6:16am On Apr 02, 2015
Seven (7) Things You Don't Know About Jega.

1. Jega was born on 11 January 1957 in Jega, Kebbi State.

2. He graduated from the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria‘s Bayero University College, Kano in  in 1979 with a Second Class Upper Division BSc degree in Political Science.

3. He won a fellowship at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois in the United States (1981–1984) where he bagged an MA and  PhD in Political Sciences. He later returned to the Political Science Department in Bayero University in 1984 as a lecturer where he rose to become a professor.

4. He was president of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) during the military regime of General Ibrahim Babangida. 

5. Jega was appointed a member of the Justice Mohammed Uwais Electoral Reform Committee, that produced a widely hailed report on 11 December 2008.

6. He was the Vice Chancellor of Bayero University, Kano from 2005 to 2010.

7. He was nominated and appointed INEC chairman on June 8,2010.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by barbstee(m): 6:21am On Apr 02, 2015
jega d man of dignity

I dedicate this victory to our
brothers Gov Rochas Okorocha Rt hon
Rotimi Amaechi, Sen Chris Ngige and some
others in those 2 region for standing tall
despite all the pressure we promise to pay
u back in full whn d time comes.
#the_change_is_here

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by ginajet(f): 6:27am On Apr 02, 2015
Prof. You do well but sha I will miss your handsome face on TV cool cool grin

30 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by geedeex2(m): 6:38am On Apr 02, 2015
Bible so wipe: Bi iwo ba se rere, ara ki o a ya o bi? This explains the reason behind Jega's calmness

8 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:39am On Apr 02, 2015
ginajet:
Prof. You do well but sha I will miss your handsome face on TV cool cool grin
lol at handsome face. I thought I was the only one who noticed that. grin grin

Jega is a genius. He deserves to be in Buhari's cabinet. cool

29 Likes

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by webincomeplus(m): 6:39am On Apr 02, 2015
Austin4lif:
After handing over power to your brother, why will u stay. We are watching u in 6d camera
Don't be silly! Nigerians, not Jega, handed power over to Buhari. Your bitterness over the election results shouldn't prompt you to talk like Orubebe.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Not Accept Tenure Renewal - Jega by Jimwalex(m): 6:43am On Apr 02, 2015
pls don't go,.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos / Nigeria Police Tactical Forces Storm Ansaru Terrorist Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.