Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,095 members, 7,807,270 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? (24320 Views)

Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ? / What’s So Good About Good Friday? / How Significant Is Good Friday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nicklaus(m): 9:28am On Apr 03, 2015
Gsmiles26:
Friday is always a good day cos its the beginning of the weekend but this 3/4/15 is even special because its the day we remember the ultimate sacrifice dat brought man back to God after the fall of adam and eve.

But eating of meat has become a bone of contention amongst many, some say its abominable because they see it as eating the flesh of Jesus while others think otherwise. What is your view on this?

Have your say!

Strictly for christians!!
first of, it's a catholic doctrine, it's neither superstitious nor biblical, it's considered a way of showing piety to God who shed His blood. Contrary to many beliefs even of some catholics that meat isn't eaten bcoz they ll be eating the flesh of christ Good friday is a day of abstinence from anything pleasurable in reverence to christ's agony. And since eating sth bloody must have cost its life it's considered sacrilegious to do so as christ's death signifies salvation. Peace!
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by kelvyn7: 9:29am On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika:

Dis your latin sef eh

Per Christum Dominum Nostrum,,.,,. Amen.

Ladante Dominus, Omnes gensis, Halleluya.

me sef sabi small Latin grin grin
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by kadil(m): 9:29am On Apr 03, 2015
Nneka123:
Everyone got their beliefs and values. We "Catholics" believe that eating meat on a good friday, is like eating the flesh of christ, and inflicting more pain to him, so it's neither of that!!
" And except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you".
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Gsmiles26(m): 9:34am On Apr 03, 2015
Pls the aim of this topic is just to have our respective opinions on eating meats on dis day based on your beliefs and not to disregard any denomination,let's be modest in our comment not mentioning the name of any church pls,as christians let's not wash our dirty linen outside so dat haters will have no room to blaspheme our faith.thanks for understanding
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Revolva(m): 9:34am On Apr 03, 2015
Bullshit.....i go flex suya dis evening....and beer dats makes the Friday GOOD grin
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 9:36am On Apr 03, 2015
kelvyn7:

Ladante Dominus, Omnes gensis, Halleluya.

me sef sabi small Latin grin grin

Ok lets go

Neno Quod non habet.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Addietunes(m): 9:39am On Apr 03, 2015
hotgunz:
It depends on wat our church teaches us, my church never said anytin against eatin of meat ds day...

So you are saying that it is your church that you are worshipping and not God.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 9:41am On Apr 03, 2015
Opiosko:
Not judging bro, just trying to open the eyes of those honest ones to the reality of their true spiritual position.

Yeah dats true ,,,,

But you should try to remove the Log of wood in yours b4 trying to remove that little one in your neighbour's eye too......
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by U2ice(m): 9:45am On Apr 03, 2015
Catholic till chicken grow teeth

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2015
lasstropinky:
Being a catholic does noy guarantee you heaven being a Christain does. The reason being Christ sat at the right of God pleading for us all..

Yes well said ,,.,,.

And not minding your business in your own church thereby neglecting some of the Instructions and Commands of Christ (Hoc Facite in meam commemorationem) can also prevent you from even seeing that Heaven.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Opiosko: 9:46am On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika:

Yeah dats true ,,,,

But you should try to remove the Log of wood in yours b4 trying to remove that little one in your neighbour's eye too......
Done that since so i'm now working to have Roman Catholics to turn from image worshipping so that they can serve God in truth and in spirit through the Lord Jesus Christ who is The Only Way.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by dharyour93(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2015
softapple:
anoda blood sucking apc memba

U have a relatively [size=25pt]LOW IQ[/size]
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by netmillionaires(m): 9:47am On Apr 03, 2015
Christians and their silly doctrines. No wonder Jesus ask us to watchout for people who preach the traditions of men as doctrines of God. When Jesus broke the bread at the last supper what did He say? He said, 'This is my body' and gave it out for them to eat. In other words He seems to be saying take my body and eat it. Now some people were saying we should not eat meat because it is like eating Jesus body. What a contrast.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:48am On Apr 03, 2015
Nneka123:
Everyone got their beliefs and values. We "Catholics" believe that eating meat on a good friday, is like eating the flesh of christ, and inflicting more pain to him, so it's neither of that!!

this is not what the catholic church teaches oh! Please do not misinform people.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ifebazz(m): 9:48am On Apr 03, 2015
Alexk2:
To me, it is not just superstitious but may be ungodly to make that a doctrine...where can we find that in the bible?
that is purely the doctrine of men.
If you start looking for everything you practice as a Christian in the bible, you go old pass Metusella. We might firstly look for where in the bible iPad was used to preach, or rabbis fry their hair or where it says you should close your eyes to pray.
Any practice that is not contrary to the will of God should be encouraged. Practices that helps to endear people to God be encouraged.
Keep looking for the intestine of ant, you will miss the mark.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Nobody: 9:52am On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika:

Yes well said ,,.,,.

And not minding your business in your own church thereby neglecting some of the Instructions and Commands of Christ (Hoc Facite in meam commemorationem) can also prevent you from even seeing that Heaven.
I agree to the words but disagree with the motive. I Question church and doctrines in as much they are traditions
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Ifebazz(m): 9:53am On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika:

Ok lets go

Neno Quod non habet.
You can't give what you don't have!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 9:58am On Apr 03, 2015
shejane:

1000likes I was a catholic and dis is d reason from abstaining from meat on a good friday

We believe that meat is aform of enjoyment so is a way to punish our flesh and dwell on d crucifixion of Christ

Wherever u worship always obey and follow d doctrine once is not a sin even d bible said "obey the laws of your land" and "believe the prophets of God so u can prosper" if you are not comfortable with any doctrine guiding ur church d best thing is to leave for your own good

SIMPLE AND SHOT.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 9:59am On Apr 03, 2015
Ifebazz:

You can't give what you don't have!

I never asked for the interpretation o ,,,, just speak the Latin you know.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 10:01am On Apr 03, 2015
Opiosko:
Done that since so i'm now working to have Roman Catholics to turn from image worshipping so that they can serve God in truth and in spirit through the Lord Jesus Christ who is The Only Way.

You havent ,,,, because if you have , i for don see the effect by now ,,,, not necessarily becoming a Catholic o.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by kelvyn7: 10:01am On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika:

Ok lets go

Neno Quod non habet.

oya nau grin grin

ego non capio, tu

quaeso, quid tibi nomen?
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by nepp(f): 10:03am On Apr 03, 2015
Christmas, easter, good Friday, assumption bla bla bla! Are not even in the bible! I believe there's a God but all these holy books are scams! The old testament and the new testament even contradicts! So confusing. Why would I believe a book written by a human being like myself? Isn't that stupi.d? undecided
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 10:05am On Apr 03, 2015
erasokafor:
Some churches don't wear earings.some wear trousers,some abstain from meat. Most of these may not be biblical but contains in their own law.in cath it is called canon law.either u obey or u don't .but its a belief system for the church and as long as I knw,religion is the belief in the existence of the supernatural.
The Catholic Church historically observes the discipline of fasting or abstinence at various times each year. For Catholics, fasting is the reduction of one's intake of food, while abstinence refers to refraining from meat (or another type of food). The Catholic Church teaches that all people are obliged by God to perform some penance for their sins, and that these acts of penance are both personal and corporeal. The purpose of fasting is spiritual focus, self-discipline, imitation of Christ, and performing penance.

Contemporary Vatican legislation, which is followed by Catholics of the Latin Rite (who comprise most Catholics) is rooted in the 1966 Apostolic Constitution of Pope Paul VI, Paenitemini, and codified in the 1983 Code of Canon Law (in Canons 1249–1253). According to Paenitemini and the 1983 Code of Canon Law, on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, both abstinence and fasting are required of Catholics who are not exempted for various reasons. All Fridays of the year are days of penance. All persons who are fourteen years old and older are bound by the law of abstinence on all Fridays that are not Solemnities. Nevertheless, both Paenitemini and the 1983 Code of Canon Law permitted the Episcopal Conferences to propose adjustments of the laws on fasting and abstinence for their home territories, and most have done so. For example, in some countries, the Bishops' Conferences have obtained from Rome the substitution of pious or charitable acts for abstinence from meat on all Fridays of the year (including Fridays of Lent) except Good Friday. Others continue to abstain from eating meat on Lenten Fridays, but not on Fridays outside of Lent. Still others voluntarily abstain from meat on Fridays throughout the year.

Members of the Eastern Catholic Churches are obliged to follow the discipline of their own particular church. While some Eastern Catholics try to follow the stricter rules of their Orthodox counterparts, the actual canonical obligations of Eastern Catholics to fast and abstain are usually much more lenient than those of the Orthodox. It is presumed that the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Saint Peter (the newly created jurisdiction of the Church for former Anglicans) will assume the discipline of Friday abstinence as conceived in the Book of Common Prayer. Early Prayer Books set out rules that were in-line with the Sarum Rite of the time, where most days prior to Solemnities and Feasts were delegated as "days of abstinence" along with the Rogation Days. The eating of fish on these days is generally ruled out within the English Patrimony of the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Saint Peter.

The Catholic practice of abstaining from meat on Fridays popularized the Friday

Where dem dey ooooo.

Shebi una dey look for wetin to read abi ,,,,?

I no blame Thomas,,,, because he later BELIEVED IN CHRIST'S RESURRECTION.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ooshinibos: 10:05am On Apr 03, 2015
Man made religion ,abstaining from meat has no biblical root , only Nigerians will fall for it ,,I will be eating ken turkey fried chicken or McDonald burgers and fries with coke today ..and thank God for it in Jesus name.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by Charlesdock(m): 10:07am On Apr 03, 2015
It roman's pagan religion reflecting into christianity.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 10:17am On Apr 03, 2015
kelvyn7:

oya nau grin grin

ego non capio, tu

quaeso, quid tibi nomen?

Popule meus, quid feci tibi ?Aut in quo contristavi te ? Responde Mihi.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 10:23am On Apr 03, 2015
tayebest:
Deut 14:8 ; The pig is also unclean; although it has a divided
hoof, it does not chew the cud. You are not to eat
their meat or touch their carcasses. --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm Wahala dey ooooo

Nsogbu di.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by otr1(m): 10:24am On Apr 03, 2015
Ishtar Celebration is unbiblical to start with.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by kelvyn7: 10:26am On Apr 03, 2015
ebukaOtika:

Popule meus, quid feci tibi ?Aut in quo contristavi te ? Responde Mihi.

populus qui dicis, frater?

ne commemorando librum. Venite speat latina simul! grin
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by ebukaOtika(m): 10:27am On Apr 03, 2015
sukkot:
where in the bible does it say do not eat meat on good friday ? in fact i need someone to show me 'good friday' in the bible shocked

Jehovah Witness wey no dey Sing National Anthem ,,? Even school anthem na Wahala ,,,, they no dey Yeap Earrings and so on ,,,, why you no ask them where e dey for BIBLE,.,,,?

Doubting THOMAS.
Re: Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? by virus05(m): 10:34am On Apr 03, 2015
Joel3:
just wen we have clamored for change and we have gotten the change. don't you think there is room for change?

NEW WORDS IN THE ENGLISH DICTIONARY
ORUBEBE /oˈrubebe/ (VerB-): abnormal
behaviour or an attempt to disrupt peaceful
gathering or well organised event.
[from Latin oˈrube : to disrupt]
Examples:
1. He tried to orubebe the sacred ocassion but
the police do not give in.
2. The football match was orubebe by the
defeating team yesterday Derivatives:
ORU-BE-BE-ISM (Noun)
ORU-BE-BE-TIC (Adjective) e.g: ~ attitude
JEGA /Jəˈga/ (VerB-): [a] Using godly wisdom
to calm the unneeded agitation or ruckus
caused by a
dopey fool in a peaceful gathering.
[b] To indirectly show to the public a person
who lack manner and attempt causing
agitation
[from Latin Jeˈga : Calm distubance wisely]
Examples:
1. If you Orubebe me I will Jega you.
2. When he was making unnecessary argument
to the public, I jega him.
Derivatives:
JE-GA-ISM (Noun)
JE-GA-TIC (Adjective) e.g: ~ approach First
Edition. Copyright © 2015 by Davog
Publishing
Company.

some people no get work for this life wey we dey.. i hope say buhari go give them work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Femi Aribisala: How I Stopped The Rain At My Niece's Wedding / Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th / Pastor E.A Adeboye Plays The Piano (Video, Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.