Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,441 members, 7,781,289 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:49 AM

Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy (12562 Views)

Power House For Your Home Appliances,tv,laptop,decoder . / Will A 5000VA Voltage Stabilizer Damage Smaller Appliances Like LED TV? / Final Year Project: PC Control Automation Of Home Appliances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 8:01am On Jan 25, 2009
I do a lot of these at home almost everyday when I think I have had too much of PC and PS3 Gaming.

I will be posting a few of my experience here from time to time and I hope techs out there or just hobbyists, and hands on fellows will feel free to do the same.
If there is some trouble reviving that old or perhaps favourite gadget that just stopped doing what it should and you just dont think you should let go, maybe we can find a way of making it work.

So lets set the ball rolling.
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 8:50am On Jan 25, 2009
Sometime this week I am going to start to fix a few PS2 gamepads I have had out of my Gamecenter in the last year or so, there are over 50 of them including some xbox pads.
Very frustarting, some of them were not really used for 2days.
I found out the problem with most of the pads are the cords. Those are the ones most difficult to fix I should say.
So I am going to be swapping their regular cords for Ethernet cable since I found out the PS2 padsd liike the ethernt cables have 8 lines.
This might not be easy but worth a try.

I am attaching a diagram showing wiring for two types of PS2 pads.
For the sake of reference, the pin numbers on the plugs will be fixed reference, while the numbers are done looking into the plug from the pin side holding it with the flat side upwards.

Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 9:14am On Jan 25, 2009
A friend of mine has a Creative Inspire GD580 surround PC speaker system that stopped working.

After inspection I realised the Audio chip TDA8510 is dead. I cannot find this chip in PH. Can someone tell me where to find this maybe if I can get it in Lagos.

If my search for this IC is unsuccessful, My option will be to rebuild the amplifier section with more available audio ICs.

The TDA8510J has 3 audio amplifiers in a single chip.

Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 10:12am On Jan 25, 2009
I had to move this one from a different topic because I think this is the best place for it.

LG CRT desktop monitor 710S Tick tick tick sound at powerup
power LED blinking orange.
Opened up the cover . Disconnected CRT HV yoke, scan coil wires and other grounding connection and degaussing to allow paneld to be removed from metal mounting.
Placed panel in a suitable position next to crt to test.

Reconnected CRT HV yoke and scan coil, then powered on. Tick tick tick present.
Obviously /hopefully something was shorting.

Powered off an discharged 400V 180uf filter cap after recieviung a nasty shock.
Tested all secondary rectifier diodes at secondary end of PS SMPS. No shorts seen.
Disconnected 50V and 15V output rectifiers at cathode.
Powered up and tick tick tick gone. Green light blinking but no HVT action.
Re connected 15v sec rectifier diode back to pcb and power on. LED still blinking green but with gegauss relay operation .
Installed 50V sec rectifier diode and tick tick tick returns at power on.

So something is definitely shorted at the 50v SECONDARY LINE.
Next I isolate as many components as possible related to the 50v dc output line.
Short which was traced to IRFS630 a 200V N-Channel B-FET Transistor. Gate and source shorted.

I will source for this component this week, hope that will fix the problem.
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 10:47am On Jan 25, 2009
In anycase, I got IRF630 in place of IRFS630 its the same thing i guess but with a metal tab instead of full plastic case. So i will had to isolate the heatsink from the main board grounding somehow before installing the transistor.

No more tick tick sound at powerup but i didnt get the "no signal" background either. so I need to look further.

I think its time to test with a PC VGA input.
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by DonSegmond(m): 9:36pm On Jan 25, 2009
How do/did you learn to do electronics repair?
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 10:58pm On Jan 25, 2009
No tech likes to mess things up while working on it. Unfortunately, thats what just happened as I was setting up to test my monitor with a PC. It looked to me like the CRT board with its metal shield wasnt sitting properly in its place. So I thought I push it back in place and oops! a spark and back to tick tick tick.

I traced this to a damaged LM2445 IC which is a CRT driver chip which was shorting its 80V supply from the power supply.

Back I go to the electronics parts market within the week. This could have been avoided.
I guess the CRT board metal shield is a bit too close to the board cos I only pushed a little, and have to pay for it.
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by Tech2008: 5:47pm On Feb 03, 2009
the problem with most of the pads are the cords. Those are the ones most difficult to fix I should say.
So I am going to be swapping their regular cords for Ethernet cable since I found out the PS2 padsd liike the ethernt cables have 8 lines.This might not be easy but worth a try.
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 3:24am On Feb 08, 2009
I just got 12 yards of ethernet cable today and will be trying out the pad fixing soon. Been too busy lately no time for the DIY.
The only things I have done recently is repair computers, Install windows and programs. Actually on gaming PCs.
Today I had to replace one of the 2 power packs in my super PC cos I had some over voltage recently which messed up the power supply.
The two main filter capacitors 200V 470uf had blown their top. But I am replacing the power pack outright. I will replace this capacitors inthe pack on a later date sibnce the power pack still working, for use in any other PC.
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by Oldhamin4: 11:33am On Feb 22, 2009
When constructing Frequency Modulation Radio and u discover dat d transmitter is burnt what wil u do at dat moment? 08026604082
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 10:45am On Mar 01, 2009
Recently I was having a drink and watching TV at my bar when it started to rain and then a strong bolt of lightening struck. Pop went my TV set and it came up with a white screen. It was actually set to AV at the time and I noticed that just the RF tuner would work. Nothing would come up on AV just a blank white screen.

I opened up the set to look closer inside.
Pretty dusty though like most CRT Tvs are inside.

Nulec HCT 2142
This TV uses the LA76818A. A I2C bus controller IC that supports different TV broadcast formats.
This IC is responsible for the video switching.

Lucky for me I found the chip locally.
Careful uninstallation and reinstalling the new chip got my TV up and working again.

Chip cost N500.00
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 11:14am On Mar 01, 2009
Oldham_in4

I actually do not understand your question. were you building an FM radio and you also have a transmitter? What do you mean by the transmitter being burnt. what is burnt in it?
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 8:59am On Mar 15, 2009
Sometimes it might pay off to have an idea of what might be the problem with your failed appliances as you take them out for repair. Most Nigerian repair techs would rather rip you off a few nairas especially for those very small faults that they could fix in a few seconds while you wait.

And also charge you a few more extra nairas than necessary for the bigger faults.

These days of more and more generators especially the smaller petrol ones, problems of dead electronics or equipment using transformers for power supply are common.

My Samsung 1HP window unit AC stopped working a few days ago, it actually went completely dead, nothing on the display.

I had to wait up till yesterday to have the time to pull it out of the wall, wash, clean all the dusty areas and look closely at the front display panel.

A small 16V 300mA transformer had lost its thermal fuse obviously due to high voltage from my 4kVA elemax petrol gen.

The thermal fuse is a fuse usually built into the transformer to avoid the coil burning out due overheating from load or excess input voltage. It usually has a rating of the cut off temperature so its important to note this anytime one can be replaced.

Some thermal fuses can almost be surface replaced on transformers because they are held on the coil surface with a few wraps of the finishing tape on the transformer. Some are tucked in so deep, if you are lucky you might have to cut off the terminals if you see it to wire in a replacement. The truth is that the decision to fix the thermal fuse in your transformer and the work involved has to be balanced with what kind of transformer it is and how much a locally available replacement will cost if at all available.

In the case of my AC transformer, it was one of those ones where the fuse was so deep into the transformer, I had to give up. However finding a 16V transformer was just an unsuccessful bet. So I simply got a 12v transformer of the same size for replacement and my AC got working again.

Most ACs with front electronic control/display panels may use this method for power supply/ standby supply.
So anytime your AC goes dead and that tech tells you "Oga we go change the panel" just to make a few buck off you.
tell him to check the transformer.
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by Bosin(m): 9:05pm On Apr 09, 2009
Mine i can say is a blessing 4rm God i can repair anything as far is an electronic but ve not worked on pcs though am still having problems repairs.i jst worked on L.G dvd player now,not loading but by his grace is now working.evry1 has talent is jst 4u 2 discover urs.
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by iukpe: 12:20pm On Jun 18, 2009
Does anyone own the ARCHOS 605WIFI 30GB HDD multimedia player/ recorder here?
I have used the ARCHOS 404 30GB, the 605WIFI 30GB and recently Got the 605WIFI 160GB. The sad news for this gadget is that there is a high potential for the speakers to go bad and only produce unpleasant cracking sounds.

I thought I was exceptionally unlucky when the speakers went bad while i was playing videos with the volume turned-up, while charging on the docking station. During charging the unit gets hot and I think along with some heat coming from the HDD and perhaps the circuitry, the factory glue on the speaker diaphragm gives way and the speaker turns into a noise generator.
Recently I felt not too unlucky after all cos a friend's 605WIFI 30GB developed same problem. I managed to fix the speaker from my unit, working under a microscope because of very thin precision required. This speaker is actually about 8mm x 20mm in size and the coil, 1/2 of that.

Now I am attempting to fix my friend's speaker and I hope to post photos of this repair work later.

My advise to anyone who owns any of this units is, DO NOT PLAY MUSIC OR VIDEOS ON THE ARCHOS WHILE CHARGING ON THE DOCKING STATION at least not with the volume turned up more than 20%
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by julyfilt: 12:55pm On Jul 19, 2009
After inspection you realised the Audio chip TDA8510 is dead. you cannot find this chip in PH. Can someone tell me where to find this maybe if you can get it in Lagos. how is it??

Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by finewine1(m): 3:34am On Aug 08, 2009
My stabilizer just stopped working. There was the smell of burnt stuff and it stopped. My kid sis plugged in a boiling ring. Whats up?
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by olaseg1(m): 2:45am On Aug 23, 2009
Respect 2all techs nd gurus in da houz! I av dis 14" alba colour tv with a "total frame collapse" problem, normally i assumed d faulty component was d vertical displacement output IC(TDA8170), bt ive replaced dis twice nd nothing happens, so i'm thinking jst maybe it could b d vertical scan coils? Wud appreciate if u guys cud pls put me through! Thnks all
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by Akanniade(m): 12:14pm On Sep 01, 2009
fine_wine:

My stabilizer just stopped working. There was the smell of burnt stuff and it stopped. My kid sis plugged in a boiling ring. Whats up?
if u r lucky its just the fuse. otherwise the xformer coils is burnt. take to a rewinder for rewinding
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by sanguineseun(m): 7:49pm On Sep 12, 2009
Help,my screen tv has a screen burn in.what do i do?i guess the electrician i took it to wiped it off with a magnet,and d stuff reappeared d next day.any recommendation,somebody, please help!
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by jacklyall: 10:43am On Sep 16, 2009
nice job iukpe

Really nice suggestions

can somebudy learn electronics repair at home if yes  so how or from where ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

snoozer dog beds | swimming pool designers | unsecured small business loan | purchase wine
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by ibksolar: 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2009
iukpe

long tym hope no probs? We out here are feeding on your post so keep it ON!
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by phtomay(m): 5:33pm On Oct 05, 2009
I have a 2gb philips portable media player that suddenly stoppd workin. I suspect it a power problem as it fails to power on even after charging.
Can one help? Thnx
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by taiwolu: 5:14pm On Mar 01, 2010
how will u test with a PC VGA input?
Re: Home Appliances/ Electronics And Other Repair Notes. Diy by VICTOFX(m): 6:40pm On Apr 30, 2010
Hi all, pls surgestions on a place where i can do my IT as an electelect student in d city of ibadan.pls evry useful surgestions shuld b maild 2 my boks ueng2k7@yahoo.com or sms me on 08037781094.thanks in anticipation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Spectranet 4g Lte And Swift 4g Lte Browsing Free On Pc With Zero Naira (fastest) / Get A Uk Number Here In Nigeria / Atiku's University Responsible For 55% Total Internet Traffic In Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.