Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,239 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists (18637 Views)

Russian Plane Crashes On Its Way To Syria. 9 Journalists, 83 Others Aboard / Journalists In Tipper Truck For Ghana’s 59th Independence Day / Sudan president detained in South Africa pending court order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Inkman(m): 11:37am On Apr 05, 2015
Legal action has been taken to declare the Nigerian military’s detention of two Al Jazeera journalists as illegal and unconstitutional.

The Motion on Notice filed today in Abuja high court seeks the enforcement of Ahmed Idris and Ali Mustafa’s fundamental rights to personal liberty and human dignity under the Nigerian constitution.

It also seeks a court order for their immediate release from the illegal military custody that began on 24 March 2015.

The move comes as concern for the pair grew after they were denied access to their phones and contact with the outside world. Al Jazeera said it was extremely concerned about the situation and was seeking guarantees regarding the safety and wellbeing of their journalists.

It is hoped that the legal action will help bring an end to the impasse where Idris and Mustafa have been held by military forces in Maiduguri for no apparent reason for the last ten days.

Salah Negm, director of news for Al Jazeera English, said, ”We want the military to bring this situation to a close, and call on all parties involved in this capture of our journalists to end this now. Nobody appears to be taking responsibility for this grave action and we hope this legal action will help to cut through the haze.”

The detention has been condemned by the Committee to Protect Journalists, the National Press Club, and the Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room, a coalition of organisations working in support of credible and transparent elections.

Al Jazeera English is one of the most-watched news channels in Nigeria, with millions of viewers every day.

Idris is an experienced journalist who has over thirty years of broadcasting experience. He started working for the Adamawa Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) in 1983.

In 2006 Idris joined the BBC in Abuja and in 2007 until 2010 he was the Bureau Editor. Since 2010 Idris has served as a producer/reporter for Al Jazeera. In 2014 he was the first international journalist to reach Chibok and interview families affected by the mass kidnap of schoolgirls by Boko Haram.

Mustafa has been a cameraman with Al Jazeera since 2011. He graduated from the National Film Institute, Jos, Plateau State in 2000 as an Independent Film Maker, majoring in scripting producing and directing.
Source: http://ynaija.com/detained-al-jazeera-journalists-file-lawsuit-nigerian-army/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Acekidc4(m): 11:38am On Apr 05, 2015
Why Na
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Inkman(m): 11:39am On Apr 05, 2015
the NA should better release the journalists
before they drag our name to the mud
nta/ait are yet to recover
#freeajstaff

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by temitemi1(m): 11:40am On Apr 05, 2015
GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE is my role MODEL!!

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 05, 2015
The military that denied custody of Buhari's certificate should nt be under pressure to release a stranger. The journalists have to be in detention till May 29, CHANGE is almost here.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by ebamma(m): 11:42am On Apr 05, 2015
I see,
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Inkman(m): 11:44am On Apr 05, 2015
cc Lalasticlala
where is our press freedom
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by luvinhubby(m): 11:47am On Apr 05, 2015
You do not cover an area under heavy millitary operations without a valid clearance, that it is Nigeria does not mean they should get away with it.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by papaejima1: 11:50am On Apr 05, 2015
Remind me again, what did Aljazeera do to the Egyptian govt over their detained staff?

Nothing but rant and rave.
You control the airwaves, the NA controls the power.
If any of those guys are found to in anyway compromise our security or intelligence protocols, please charge them to court and jail them if guilty. AJ staff are not above the law.

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 05, 2015
temitemi1:

Our robot has been reprogrammed

fayose your role model? asari dokunbo most be the owner of this project

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 05, 2015
Why can't they just allow these people go? What is the point of holding them.

5 Likes

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by ademega(m): 11:57am On Apr 05, 2015
They just want to create international press enimity for this country at large

2 Likes

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Litmus: 12:18pm On Apr 05, 2015
It will be interesting to see if Buhari compels the military to free these so-called Journalists. Of course the journalists could be freed due to pressure from Buhari in a way that hides the fact but I'm not a fan of those paradoxes whose purpose is to justify our purpose.

An example of a paradox that justifies our purpose is the one from which neither Johnathan or the North was able to escape leading up to the election and which still persists now. This is how it persists - if Bokoharam continues to wreck havoc in the North, Johnathan supporters will argue that, Buhari and the North want to keep up the terrorism for a short time longer just so it wont look suspicious that they are the ones sponsoring Bokoharam. On the other hand, supporters of Buharri will argue that the terrorism continues because Johnathan is the sponsors of Bokoharam and wants to destroy the north and Buhari's reputation. If the terrorism ends, Johnathan supporters will argue that Buhari ended it because he had the power to as their sponsors.

The upshot is, Buhari should not intervene, let the military do their job. If Buhari intervenes he'll rightly be viewed as a puppet of outside powers and Nigerians should be sure that we're in trouble as a nation. If the military frees the journalists we should not accuse Buhari of applying pressure unless there's irrefutable evidence.

4 Likes

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 05, 2015
Hmm.
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Litmus: 12:45pm On Apr 05, 2015
Let me just add the background to this. The world media led by CNN, BBC, AFP and Aljezeria led a vicious campaign of lies against Nigerian military and by association Nigeria. These were outright lies and not simply reports subject to perspectives informed by political colors - although some Nigerians exploited them for just that. The Military arrested these Journalists in this atmosphere and for practical, solid up-to-no good reasons. Therefor to compel the military to free those journalists is to be...well, lets just use the kindest admonishment - Weak

1 Like

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 12:48pm On Apr 05, 2015
Let the Judge decide...
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 12:50pm On Apr 05, 2015
Let the Judge decide...
However, we can't forget easily how Aljazeera and their allies launched various campaign of calumny against The Nigeria Military and the Nigeria state. I stand with the Military and the State!!!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by abduljabbar8: 12:52pm On Apr 05, 2015
I have been seeing it on Aljezeera. They should have just waited for Buhari to take over. He will clean up the mess in the military.
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by abduljabbar8: 12:54pm On Apr 05, 2015
Litmus:
It will be interesting to see if Buhari compels the military to free these so-called Journalists. Of course the journalists could be freed due to pressure from Buhari in a way that hides the fact but I'm not a fan of those paradoxes whose purpose is to justify our purpose.

An example of a paradox that justifies our purpose is the one from which neither Johnathan or the North was able to escape leading up to the election and which still persists now. This is how it persists - if Bokoharam continues to wreck havoc in the North, Johnathan supporters will argue that, Buhari and the North want to keep up the terrorism for a short time longer just so it wont look suspicious that they are the ones sponsoring Bokoharam. On the other hand, supporters of Buharri will argue that the terrorism continues because Johnathan is the sponsors of Bokoharam and wants to destroy the north and Buhari's reputation. If the terrorism ends, Johnathan supporters will argue that Buhari ended it because he had the power to as their sponsors.

The upshot is, Buhari should not intervene, let the military do their job. If Buhari intervenes he'll rightly be viewed as a puppet of outside powers and Nigerians should be sure that we're in trouble as a nation. If the military frees the journalists we should not accuse Buhari of applying pressure unless there's irrefutable evidence.
And somebody will. Call this thing a human being

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 05, 2015
the Nigeria military should release those journalists ASAP. We don't want any mainstream media that will lunch silly propaganda against the incoming government of Buhari

2 Likes

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by cocokiller1(f): 1:20pm On Apr 05, 2015
they've released them olready
al jezebel nd their silly rants
y ddnt u hold ur reporters in place
make dem go isis stronghold go try dat stunt dy jst pulled in naija na
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by meforyou1(m): 1:24pm On Apr 05, 2015
Military has handed over the journalists to DSS

1 Like

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by clubone0501: 2:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
My guys..we don't need any bad press now
..kindly hand over the journalists. .

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
Why didn't they drag the Egyptian govt for holding 2 of em journalist?
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by umarc19: 2:48pm On Apr 05, 2015
kastonkastrol:
the Nigeria military should release those journalists ASAP. We don't want any mainstream media that will lunch silly propaganda against the incoming government of Buhari

Those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. If their journalists were not detained do u think they will air any propaganda against ur government?
(according to what u said)

Back to the topic:

I think the journalist should be investigated if they are found guilty of any offence they should face the penalties and if not they should be released - simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 05, 2015
we wnt allow any news channel to drag d country's name to d mud all bcaus of press freedom, i wonda if dis news channel can dare drag U.S.A OR RUSSIA to court if they detained their journalist, NIGERIA nd NIGERIANS must understand that we must protect the integrity of this country no mata what, d military knows best why they detained them so what ALJAZEERA shud b doing is pleading n nt taken a whole Nigeria army to court which is an insult n disrespectful to 170million Nigerians.

8 Likes

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by efilefun(m): 2:48pm On Apr 05, 2015
I dont see why they still holding unto those journalists.. atleast election is over and all PDP's Rigging had been done without al-jazeera showing it live to the world, so why are they still been detained

1 Like

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by greall12(m): 2:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
Aljezeera like to play smart. Same thing happened in Egypt 2yrs ago
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by Nobody: 2:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
temitemi1:
robot

2 Likes

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by efilefun(m): 2:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
we don hear, na so you shout GEJ till 2019 till una lose, maybe na so you go shout this one until dem go lock them for cell
temitemi1:

4 Likes

Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by umarc19: 2:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
cocokiller1:
they've released them olready
al jezebel nd their silly rants
y ddnt u hold ur reporters in place
make dem go isis stronghold go try dat stunt dy jst pulled in naija na

Dem no fit...ah swear
Re: Al Jazeera Drags Nigerian Army To Court Over Detained Journalists by tucky200(m): 2:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
Our compromised f**king military

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Istanbul Ataturk Airport Attack: At Least 28 Dead And Dozens Injured / Nigeria, Others Consider Single Currency, Passport / How The War In Ukraine Affects Food Prices Everywhere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.