Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,410 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? (18947 Views)

10 Apps That'll Make Your Smartphone Smarter / Your Smartphone Is Smarter Than You... Reasons / JUMIA vs Konga: KONGA Will Always Be Smarter. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by GodMode: 8:06pm On Apr 05, 2015
tomiobj:
. Vice city. Such an awesome game. But saints row is better

Saints row should not be compared to GTA.. You can't even compare it to MAFIA 2..

1 Like

Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by BigBen10: 8:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
Yes makes you smarter but you will lack knowledge. knowledge is in the books. Mind you, you can't be smarter than what you know. So books give you the knowledge, games give you a higher ability to manipulate that knowledge to solve problems quickly.

3 Likes

Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 05, 2015
RomanceLander:

Ahhhh You don't dare .....
All my life I've been clinged to board games.
You won't believe I play checkers too
Since you play chess, checkers would probably be a kinda childs play to you...
But I still maintain my stand on scrabble, don't think we gonna use Oxford dictionary. Lol!
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Spaxon(f): 8:15pm On Apr 05, 2015
My bro is so addicted to FIFA and GTA ................

anytime is just suitable for him
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:16pm On Apr 05, 2015
Ilekeh:
They make me pay attention to fine details. I love my PS4................

You write programs too?
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Ilekeh(f): 8:26pm On Apr 05, 2015
ToyinDipo:

You write programs too?

Yes. smiley
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by falseman(m): 8:27pm On Apr 05, 2015
Adventure game thought me that when you don't see an enemy you are certainly heading towards the wrong direction.

1 Like

Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by UjSizzle(f): 8:28pm On Apr 05, 2015
Ishilove:
It makes you dull and anti-social
Took the words outta my mouth!

Just play games that help develop your brain, rather than spend time on senseless 'feel good' games.
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 05, 2015
digitalembrace:
Depends on the type of game and on your psyche architecture and also depends on how far along you're in your cognitive development and it depends on your definition of smart. For example, If you're scatterbrained smart (ADHD type) you wouldn't suffer from the flattening of your associative hierarchy that fast paced FPS style games induce. It could actually benefit you. But if you're the extremely focused clear minded type with a steep associative hierarchy your attention span could suffer.

There are many more examples along those lines that affect core components of one's cognitive complex; working memory, fluid intelligence, crystallized intelligence, spacial reasoning, etc.

Games do shift psyche design. Whether you come out of that shift smarter would depend on so many things.

So I guess the answer is it depends.

Oga!! We know say you go school

But sometimes try write something were everybody go understand.

No be say you go dey form intelligent
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:28pm On Apr 05, 2015
Ilekeh:

Yes. smiley

You are a strong lady.
Which programming language?
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Vicorolex1(m): 8:36pm On Apr 05, 2015
tomiobj:
. Vice city. Such an awesome game. But saints row is better
talk of medal of honor
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Mynd44: 8:37pm On Apr 05, 2015
Ishilove:
It makes you dull and anti-social
I guess you don't play chess
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Vicorolex1(m): 8:39pm On Apr 05, 2015
Viciyus:

lolz....we can still learn from stuffs like dis o
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Ilekeh(f): 8:40pm On Apr 05, 2015
ToyinDipo:

You are a strong lady.
Which programming language?

You're the first to call me a female for a long time. Dem don "bro"me tired lol. There are lots of women programming over here wink

C++, PHP and Phyton and Java. I also work within the realm of Drupal, PHP, HTML5, CSS, and SQL. I'm not an expert, just intermediate. Still in school, still getting there. wink
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
Ilekeh:

You're the first to call me a female for a long time. Dem don "bro"me tired lol. There are lots of women programming over here wink

C++, PHP and Phyton and Java. I also work within the realm of Drupal, PHP, HTML5, CSS, and SQL. I'm not an expert, just intermediate. Still in school, still getting there. wink

Lool, bro Ilekeh cheesy Ilekeh sounds feminine now.
You know all these? Respect!
Are you sure we have many female programmers here, 'cos I'm always on the lookout for them.
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
Vicorolex1:

lolz....we can still learn from stuffs like dis o

Lolz
But you have to make it much readable na.
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by digitalembrace(m): 8:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
Viciyus:

Lol no vex. It's not intentional. This is something I'vet hought about so I just regurgitated some of the main ideas I remember.

The only uncommon thing there is associative hierarchy which is just a fancy word for your ability to associate things with one another. Its common amongst multitaskers and polyglots (speakers of many languages) To illustrate what I mean if I say "apple" to someone who isn't highly associative he would just think "fruit" but a highly associative fellow would think "fruit, red, computer, sweet, Steve Jobs"

The other somewhat technical psychology terms aren't that uncommon. Working memory; capacity to hold items in memory. Spatial reasoning; ability to reason about positions in space. Fluid intelligence; ability to solve novel problems that typically don't rely on stale information. Crystallized intelligence, brilliance that depends on long term memory.

My point is that we all have different helpings of all these features of intelligence. Different games shift the proportions in different ways that could reinforce or degrade ones original state.
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:50pm On Apr 05, 2015
How can someone claim game dulls the mind? Even some female geeks I've met play sudoku to exercise the mind.
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Vicorolex1(m): 8:51pm On Apr 05, 2015
Ilekeh:

wen i go come for tutorials na?
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Ilekeh(f): 8:51pm On Apr 05, 2015
ToyinDipo:

Lool, bro Ilekeh cheesy Ilekeh sounds feminine now.
You know all these? Respect!
Are you sure we have many female programmers here, 'cos I'm always on the lookout for them.

I don't know about nl, but where I am.
Respect? Why? If men can do it, so can we.

Respect to you too. smiley
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:55pm On Apr 05, 2015
Ilekeh:

I don't know about nl, but where I am.
Respect? Why? If men can do it, so can we.

Respect to you too. smiley

Oh, by over here, you meant outside naija then, I guess.
Men dominate programming field you know? tongue
But I don't know half of what you do embarassed
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Weah96: 8:56pm On Apr 05, 2015
I used to play FIFA and Ghost Recon until I figured out the American Football game Madden. It's like playing chess with computer images. Literally. The smartest guy usually wins. If two smart guys play, it comes down to computer luck.
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 05, 2015
digitalembrace:

Lol no vex. It's not intentional. This is something I'vet hought about so I just regurgitated some of the main ideas I remember.

The only uncommon thing there is associative hierarchy which is just a fancy word for your ability to associate things with one another. Its common amongst multitaskers and polyglots (speakers of many languages) To illustrate what I mean if I say "apple" to someone who isn't highly associative he would just think "fruit" but a highly associative fellow would think "fruit, red, computer, sweet, Steve Jobs"

The other somewhat technical psychology terms aren't that uncommon. Working memory; capacity to hold items in memory. Spatial reasoning; ability to reason about positions in space. Fluid intelligence; ability to solve novel problems that typically don't rely on new knowledge. Crystallized intelligence, brilliance that depends on acquired information.

My point is that we all have different helpings of all these features of intelligence. Different games shift the proportions in different ways that could reinforce or degrade ones original state.

Torrr,

Na only the last paragraph I understand.

The rest, na only you know weti you write
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 05, 2015
Makes u smart.. Very smart... U gonna posses the ability to think fast, move fast, punch fast, steal cars, f**k women, Rob banks, perform heists, kill civilians.. GTA 5.. JUST KIDDING.. OF COURSE IT MAKES U SMART

1 Like

Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by nkemjacob2(m): 9:02pm On Apr 05, 2015
Depending on the game
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by larryjimmy7: 9:11pm On Apr 05, 2015
;Dwish i could throw moloktov cocktail 2 those who think games make u dull.
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Clara16(f): 9:15pm On Apr 05, 2015
Everybody is busy talkin about video games. What of 'chess'?
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by kishimi8(m): 9:16pm On Apr 05, 2015
play any legend of zelda game and come back a chnged man., broaddens mind and horizons .,, allows you to think in an unconventional way.,.,
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by GodMode: 9:20pm On Apr 05, 2015
kishimi8:
play any legend of zelda game and come back a chnged man., broaddens mind and horizons .,, allows you to think in an unconventional way.,.,

How many people still have game boy... Or SNES.
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by GodMode: 9:24pm On Apr 05, 2015
Clara16:

The OP means video games..

Chess is like playing NFL( American football) on PS or xbox..
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Vicorolex1(m): 9:25pm On Apr 05, 2015
kishimi8:
will definitely check it out
Re: Does Playing Games Make You Smarter Or Duller? by Weah96: 9:25pm On Apr 05, 2015
Clara16:

Too complex for human beings. Computers have ruined chess for everyone. 15, 20 years ago, Kasparov was competitive against the IBM Deep Blue computer. Kasparov is arguably the best player in the history of the game, btw. Today, the world champ, who is rated HIGHER than Kasparov EVER was, would need to play a handicapped computer just to fight for a DRAW!!!! And the computer could be on an iPhone, not even a specially built computer.

Btw, the current champ played to a draw against then world champ Kasparov when he was only 13 yrs old in 2004.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Leaked Images Of The New Blackberry 10 L Series Phone Surfaces / Facebook Fined $5 Billion For Breaching Users' Privacy / My Phone Battery Now Drains Too Quickly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.