Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,584 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (738) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3013772 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (735) (736) (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 28, 2018
Mafialeader:
Another officer round of mine who was rumoured to have been KIA also survived and was pat of those repelling the attack.
We should try to verify before reporting these events, someone from there told me the casualty figure is not was is been reported online.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:17pm On Nov 28, 2018
Happening Now!
CONDOLENCE VISIT TO MRS II SAKABA.

A 6 Div Deligation led by Brig Gen SI Igbinomwanhia COS HQ 6 Div to the widow of our fallen hero Late Lt Col II Sakaba today 28 Nov 18 on behalf of the GOC 6 Div/LCC JTF OPDS Maj Gen J Sarham.
Present at the event are the rep of the NAOWA President 6 Div Chapter, NAOWA members, NASWA members, Comd 46 EB- Brig Gen JD Omali, CDOS- Brig Gen AM Kanoma, DDAPR- Col A Iliyasu, Comd 6 Prov G- Col AD Abubakar, DCOS G1- Col MG Hammawa, Chaplain (RC and Prot) and reps of Imam and 6 MIB.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 28, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:20pm On Nov 28, 2018
BabaOwen:
A Nigerian soldier who survived the Boko Haram attack which left over 100 troops dead and many others injured in Metele, Guzamala Local Government Area of Borno on Sunday, November 18th, has narrated what happened.

The soldier identified as Chuks Abaga took to social media to reveal how the superior fire from the Boko Haram insurgents left them demoralised and forced them to retreat. 

He also said that many corpses are still in the bush and are yet to be recovered due to the rescue mission being thwarted by the Boko Haram insurgents even after the attack. 

Below is what he shared on Facebook yesterday. 

Am a Survival of Metele attack on 18th. We were attacked by 5pm by Boko Haram. A soldier on the observation post alerted everybody in the camp were we all took cover and dash into our trenches we started exchange of bullet that lasted for about 15mins, they came with enough gun truck mounted with A.A GUN, the gun truck I can count when the attack was going on was 13 gun trucks, 2 Mrap, 3 Ammo personnel carrier (APC), when we noticed the type of weapon and the rate of volume of fire that was coming from their weapon we were demoralise by their fire power and heavy volume of fire.

We were force to withdraw to avoid been killed by the insurgence we ran into the bushes to save our lives. From there we start to locate our colleague and move to 119 battalion camp where we were welcomed and taken care of. The following morning the morning the 7 bridage Commander came brig. General Yahaya and ask us to go for evacuation of soldiers died body we were given air support so called surveillance in which we are communicating together to go metele to recover bodies.

So we ask the pilot to move ahead of us and tell us the situation of the camp he went ahead and came back that everywhere is Charlie charlie means everywhere is okay from there we carried only 8 dead bodies on the road that lead to the camp from no where we started hearing firing from our camp Boko Haram are in our camp from they started firing at us with there AA gun so we turn back to 119 camp back up till now soldier dead bodies are still in that bush as am speaking to you the Nigerian Army have not recover any dead bodies.

Only that 8 dead bodies we could recover don't let any General deceive you we lost more than 150 soldier in the attack not 44 soldier. I can testify this anywhere.

I have questions for the chief of army staff 
Lt. General TY Buratal
1.What is the role of OPERATION LAST HOLD in North East ?
2.What was the 1 BILLIONS DOLLAR USED FOR?
3.What is the Normal deployment of troops in war

See more; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/11/soldier-reveals-what-happened-during-and-after-the-recent-boko-haram-attack.html

Dude are you sure of your source ...
Posting the soldiers pictures will further land him into trouble, please you can just remove the pictures only. Just saying... cool

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 28, 2018
bidexiii:

Dude are you sure of your source ...
Posting the soldiers pictures will further land him into trouble, please you can just remove the pictures only. Just saying... cool
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Mafialeader: 4:47pm On Nov 28, 2018
BabaOwen:
A Nigerian soldier who survived the Boko Haram attack which left over 100 troops dead and many others injured in Metele, Guzamala Local Government Area of Borno on Sunday, November 18th, has narrated what happened.

The soldier identified as Chuks Abaga took to social media to reveal how the superior fire from the Boko Haram insurgents left them demoralised and forced them to retreat. 

He also said that many corpses are still in the bush and are yet to be recovered due to the rescue mission being thwarted by the Boko Haram insurgents even after the attack. 

Below is what he shared on Facebook yesterday. 

Am a Survival of Metele attack on 18th. We were attacked by 5pm by Boko Haram. A soldier on the observation post alerted everybody in the camp were we all took cover and dash into our trenches we started exchange of bullet that lasted for about 15mins, they came with enough gun truck mounted with A.A GUN, the gun truck I can count when the attack was going on was 13 gun trucks, 2 Mrap, 3 Ammo personnel carrier (APC), when we noticed the type of weapon and the rate of volume of fire that was coming from their weapon we were demoralise by their fire power and heavy volume of fire.

We were force to withdraw to avoid been killed by the insurgence we ran into the bushes to save our lives. From there we start to locate our colleague and move to 119 battalion camp where we were welcomed and taken care of. The following morning the morning the 7 bridage Commander came brig. General Yahaya and ask us to go for evacuation of soldiers died body we were given air support so called surveillance in which we are communicating together to go metele to recover bodies.

So we ask the pilot to move ahead of us and tell us the situation of the camp he went ahead and came back that everywhere is Charlie charlie means everywhere is okay from there we carried only 8 dead bodies on the road that lead to the camp from no where we started hearing firing from our camp Boko Haram are in our camp from they started firing at us with there AA gun so we turn back to 119 camp back up till now soldier dead bodies are still in that bush as am speaking to you the Nigerian Army have not recover any dead bodies.

Only that 8 dead bodies we could recover don't let any General deceive you we lost more than 150 soldier in the attack not 44 soldier. I can testify this anywhere.

I have questions for the chief of army staff 
Lt. General TY Buratal
1.What is the role of OPERATION LAST HOLD in North East ?
2.What was the 1 BILLIONS DOLLAR USED FOR?
3.What is the Normal deployment of troops in war

See more; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/11/soldier-reveals-what-happened-during-and-after-the-recent-boko-haram-attack.html
dude are you demented or what ? cant you read what i wrote ?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 28, 2018
Mafialeader:
dude are you demented or what ? cant you read what i wrote ?
dude are you demented or what ? cant you read what i wrote too?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Mafialeader: 4:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
BabaOwen:
dude are you demented or what ? cant you read what i wrote too?
read to comprehend next time with rushing to post nonsense.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by LTGEN: 5:24pm On Nov 28, 2018
Mafialeader:
your rantings and ravings have put this young man in trouble.
if a soldier has grievances there is a proper way and channel to report to.
that channel is not on facebook. it is not on social media
unlike you that are a faceless warrior who never had a bullet whiz by his head, he signed up to join the ARMY
to protect people like you with his life.
Unlike you He does not get to walk away scot -free
The NA is not a democratic institution and you or him should not of put his face on this page.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
Mafialeader:
read to comprehend next time, before rushing to post trash.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 28, 2018
Some people for this thread funny sha, person post something and said we should share, we're all sharing, he even tagged the Army headquarter himself on FB, yet you keep talking about protecting his identity... Maybe you should also tell Facebook to protect his identity.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 28, 2018

Govt will procure modern fighting equipment to end Boko Haram madness – Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari and his entourage on Wednesday arrived Maiduguri, the Borno state capital to attend the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Annual Conference.

Although, it was not the first time visit of Mr. President to the State since he assumed office in 2015, but this would be a special one where Buhari and his entourage would pass through the city of Maiduguri with virtually all major streets closed down for motorists amidst tight security.

‪The President is in Borno State to declare the Conference open which was originally slated for Benin, Edo State.‬

The Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima received the President at the Maiduguri International Airport around 11:30am.‬

The President proceeded to the Palace of His Royal Highness, the Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai Elkanemi and paid the Monarch a courtesy call, after which, he proceeded to the venue of the Conference at the Command Guest Inn, Baga Road, Maiduguri to flag off the Conference.

While at the Shehu’s palace, HRH, thanked the president for the visit and federal government’s concerted effort in the fight against Boko Haram.

He assured that the traditional institutions would continue to give their maximum support in the fight against terrorism in the country.

In his welcome address, the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan Ali said, the Conference usually brings serving and retired Commanders and other Security agencies to brainstorm on the state ongoing operations against terrorists and other criminals in the country.

He expressed gratitude to President Buhari for giving enormous support to the military forces to confront series of security challenges bedevilling some parts of the country, especially north east and the Lake Chad Region.

The Minister also commended the service chiefs and other stakeholders for their unrelenting efforts in the fight against Boko Haram and other related security challenges confronting the country. He therefore called for a coordinated joint operations amongst the security agencies to ensure total peace in the land.

Dan Ali however prayed God to grant eternal live to the souls of gallant officers and soldiers who paid a supreme price to restore peace in the north east and the country in general.

Governor Shettima in his brief remarks commended all security agencies and members of the Civilian JTF towards degrading remnants of Boko Haram terrorists in the north east.

He said, before the coming of President Buhari, virtually all major roads leading to Maiduguri were deathtrap, as nobody venture to move out of the city by few kilometres away without being confronted or attacked by insurgents, noting that the present administration came as a saving grace to people of the state.

He pledged that his door would continue to remain open for all security agencies so that the support needed to end the lingering crisis of insurgents would be given necessary consideration by his administration.

He cited poverty, illiteracy, and climatic and other changes in the lake Chad region responsible for emergence of Boko Haram, which according to him, if not properly addressed, youths may become easily convinced join Boko Haram and other nefarious activities.

President Buhari who is the Special Guest of Honour while declaring the Conference opened, commend the leadership of Nigerian Army for moving out the Conference earlier slated to hold in Edo to Maiduguri.

He noted that his administration would continue to give its maximum support to the military, adding that one of the cardinal objectives of this government is to ensure adequate security of lives and property of the citizenry.

“This Conference is timely, considering fact that this government is determined to end security challenges in the North East, Niger Delta and farmers/herdsmen clashes in some parts of the country.

” I want to convey our deep condolences to the families of heroic gallant officers and soldiers who paid the supreme price while maintaining law and order in our fatherland.

“As we approach the 2019 general elections, I want to urge members of our security forces to remain non partisans and leavel up to the expectations on the rules of engagements.

” I want to specifically condole with family of late General Idris Alkali and the Nigerian Army for his untimely death in the hands of some evils doers, as government, I want to assure you that we are doing everything possible to bring the perpetrators to book.

“As President and by the powers conferred on me, I assured you that government will procure modern fighting equipment end madness of Boko Haram and other acts if our enemies. I want to also assure you that government is doing everything to increase the welfare of our Nigerian Army”. Buhari stated.

https://all-gists..com/2018/11/govt-will-procure-modern-fighting-equipment-end-boko-haram-madness-buhari.html
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2018
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:20pm On Nov 28, 2018
BabaOwen:
my source is don chuks abaga on Facebook.

You can also confirm it yourself, a lot of this guys are getting bolder, I'm sure you saw the way the wife of Lt colonel sakaba wife threaten the military on Instagram, I'm sure that's why they visited her. She heard about her husband death more than a week after he was killed on the Internet.

@Babaowen you will land these soldier into trouble. I know what they are going through hell and that was what I said some few pages back that some people attacked me.
Posting is pictures will further land him in hot soup, few months ago a soldier that made a video on "our MUMU don do" is cooling off his head somewhere now. Please kindly remove them or I'll do the needful.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2018
bidexiii:

@Babaowen you will land these soldier into trouble. I know what they are going through hell and that was what I said some few pages back that some people attacked me.
Posting is pictures will further land him in hot soup, few months ago a soldier that made a video on "our MUMU don do" is cooling off his head somewhere now. Please kindly remove them or I'll do the needful.
okay
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:32pm On Nov 28, 2018
BabaOwen:
okay...I will remove the one I screenshot from his Facebook page, but the one I first posted, I got it from this source

https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/11/soldier-reveals-what-happened-during-and-after-the-recent-boko-haram-attack.html

Should I also delete it?

Please the images and the links will do, Tnx man.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:38pm On Nov 28, 2018
Mr president visiting W.I.A in a military hospital, Borno State.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 28, 2018
bidexiii:

Please the images and the links will do, Tnx man.
Done.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by QuietMynd: 6:41pm On Nov 28, 2018
Nasdra testing rocket

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Kelechi2012: 7:09pm On Nov 28, 2018
In 2014 Major Ibrahim Sakaba was court martialled for refusing a direct order to attack BK position with in sufficient weapons ,non service-able equipment and combat units who where low on moral.He also clashed with his COs in this regard and had to be transferred out of this sector.

Same 2014 ,The Major Sakaba lost a younger relative Lt E Sakaba to the terrorists.With the tragic events that happened in Metele , The Sakaba family has lost three sons to this war.

It is so disheartening to hear Nigerians ,get on this platform and accuse our troops of cowardice and incompetence or to claim that they got what they signed up for.

Please if you have never been in ambush or survived one before hold your peace. If you have never defended a position before ,pay your respects.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Litmus: 8:16pm On Nov 28, 2018
Oga, Henry, don’t go o, you and Bidexii’s call made sense to us none experts. I state none experts because I wouldn't presume that I am in any position to determine what is right or wrong. I believe you did a grate job walking us bystanders through how our soldiers were well enough equipped for the peril that faced them in the ISAWP Metele base attack and subsequent sack.We also understood Bidexii’s position but in the context of us needing game-changing equipment and versatility. For instance, aircraft for the army so that they may not be so reliant on the air-force.
Patches implied that you’ll return given time but in case re contemplating giving up for good just consider that such would be another victory for the terrorists. This is the 21st centrury, where the battle is Televised and also online.

Okay, I’ll head off now.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 9:17pm On Nov 28, 2018
BabaOwen:
Done.

Tnx man.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Mafialeader: 9:24pm On Nov 28, 2018
LTGEN:

your rantings and ravings have put this young man in trouble.
if a soldier has grievances there is a proper way and channel to report to.
that channel is not on facebook. it is not on social media
unlike you that are a faceless warrior who never had a bullet whiz by his head, he signed up to join the ARMY
to protect people like you with his life.
Unlike you He does not get to walk away scot -free
The NA is not a democratic institution and you or him should not of put his face on this page.
oga you quoted the wrong person, look before you leap

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
bidexiii:

Tnx man.
you're welcome.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:20am On Nov 29, 2018
PRESS RELEASE
BY THE NIGERIAN ARMY FOLLOWING RECENT ATTACKS ON MILITARY LOCATIONS IN BORNO STATE

1. Gentlemen of the press, in continuation with our resolve to keep Nigerians well informed of the activities of the Nigerian Army, I will be briefing you on the recent happenings in the North East of Nigeria. In the recent weeks, Nigerian troops deployed in the North East of Nigeria under Operation LAFIYA DOLE have come under series of attacks by large numbers of Boko Haram Terrorists. Specifically, the Nigerian Army troops deployed at KUKAWA, NGOSHE, KARETO and GAJIRAM came under attack at different times within a 2 week period from 2 – 17th November 2018. Each of these incidents were successfully repelled and several members of the terrorists were killed. However, a total of 16 personnel were killed in the course of these attacks while 12 soldiers were wounded in action and are receiving treatment at our military medical facilities.
2. As you are all aware, Nigeria is contributing troops to the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) which has its headquarters in N’djamena, in the Republic of Chad. One of the Nigerian battalions (157 TF Bn), deployed under the auspices of the MNJTF was attacked at their Base on the outskirts of a town called METELE on 18th November 2018. During the attack, the troops were forced to withdraw and several casualties were recorded. As at date 23 personnel were killed in action and 31 personnel were wounded in action and have been evacuated to several medical hospitals within Borno State. The Nigerian Army commiserates with the MNJTF at this difficult time and wishes to state that all necessary support will be rendered to the MNJTF to reverse this resurgence of the Boko Haram Terrorists.
3. The Nigerian Army wishes to further commiserate with the families of the gallant officers and soldiers that paid the supreme price in the course of defending their fatherland. The sacrifices of these fallen heroes will not be in vain. We also wish all those wounded in action speedy recovery and assure them of our continued support and care.
4. The incident of 18th November 2018, happened at a time when the Nigerian Army was planning to hold the Chief of Army Staff Annual Conference for 2018 in Benin City, Edo State. On account of this incident, the Conference had to be moved from Benin City to Maiduguri to enable the Nigerian Army leadership get closer to the troops on the ground and to better appraise our activities, assess our performance and identify our shortcomings as an Army.
5. We are also sensitive to the fact that the nation is approaching an election year and thus we must be prepared to assist in providing security for the peaceful conduct of elections. Accordingly, the theme for this year’s annual conference is aptly titled, “Optimizing the Operational Efficiency of the Nigerian Army Towards Safeguarding Democracy and National Security in Nigeria”. Let me at this juncture assure all Nigerians and indeed the international community that the NA will work optimally, in conjunction with other security agencies to provide a secure environment for peace and unity in Nigeria.
6. Since 2015, the Nigerian Army in conjunction with sister services and other security agencies have systematically degraded the capabilities and capacity of Boko Haram terrorists and many successes were achieved. However, in the last 2 – 3 months, we have noticed daring moves by the terrorists, increased use of drones against our defensive positions and infusion of foreign fighters in their ranks. These potent threats require us to continually review our operations.
7. At this point permit me to implore all of us to spare a thought for the brave men and women of the Nigerian Army who paid the supreme price for the security of Nigeria. The Nigerian Army will continue to support the families of these brave officers and soldiers and pray that their souls rest in perfect peace. Let us also not forget the men, women and children who have been killed or affected by the atrocities of the terrorists. It is for their sake that this war against terror must be won.
8. The Nigerian Army wishes to express its gratitude to the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari (GCFR) who has visited the troops including some of the wounded officers and soldiers in the hospitals. We also thank His Excellency the Executive Governor and good people of Borno State who have taken the brunt of the nefarious activities of the Boko Haram terrorists. Our gratitude also goes to the Honourable Minister of Defence, the Chief of Defence Staff and the Service Chiefs, who have all shown concern and visited the troops. The Nigerian Army also thanks all patriotic and concerned Nigerians who have sent in messages of goodwill and support for the Nigerian Army.
9. Finally, the Nigerian Army, wishes to reiterate and pledge its total commitment to the defence of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We wish to reassure all Nigerians of the commitment of the Nigerian Army to defend our country at all costs. We shall also continue to remain apolitical, professional and responsive in the discharge of our constitutional roles.

SANI KUKASHEKA USMAN Brigadier General for Chief of Army Staff 28th November 2018

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 12:25am On Nov 29, 2018
Mr president in Borno State today...

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by olapluto(m): 12:51am On Nov 29, 2018
NA say they lost 23 men. Twitter journalists say it is over 100. BHT video shows about 10 soldiers dead or killed.

Moral of the story- In this season of politics, unofficial sources are invested in casualty figures and should bedisregarded.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:00am On Nov 29, 2018
olapluto:
NA say they lost 23 men. Twitter journalists say it is over 100. BHT video shows about 10 soldiers dead or killed.

Moral of the story- In this season of politics, unofficial sources are invested in casualty figures and should bedisregarded.
The military is economical with the truth, that is understandable though but we shouldn't blatantly deny the death of our soldiers. The video of BHT attack you watched was not that of Melete but zari did'nt you also watch the video a soldier posted claiming that over 100+ of their battalion have being wiped off after the unfortunate incident?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 29, 2018
Why Nigeria will NOT defeat Boko Haram in 20 years

This is a personal journey: Before I left for the United Kingdom in September 2017, I promised myself that my master degree was not going to be just another one. I said to myself that this one will be one that equips me to help Nigeria in her walk and work towards development.

In my written goal for the programme, I wrote that this degree will equip me to help Nigeria “as the country inches her way out of the claws of Boko Haram, an extremist group in the northeast,” by “working with development partners from across the world, who are focused on redeveloping the northeast region in the fastest possible time”.

As a brief background, I have worked on a few journalistic projects dealing with insurgency in the northeast, with the last being about the attack on civilian refugee camps in Rann, the northmost town in Nigeria, where over 126 people were killed. On arrival at the University of Sussex, the world’s best school for development studies, ahead of Harvard and Oxford, I was keenly looking for module choices that could help me address the problems I saw first hand in the northeast.

After learning about hands-on media tools, critical perspectives to development and social change, and other media-related issues, I wanted to learn more about insurgencies and how the mind of a terrorist works.

I enrolled with the School of Global Studies to take a course in irregular warfare, and learn more about the mind of an insurgent. I did not bargain for what I got. Long story cut short, I studied all irregular warfares in the 20th and 21st century. From my experience as a journalist, who has reported the war in the northeast, and my study of irregular warfares across the world, I wrote what I consider a fascinating paper on how Nigeria can defeat Boko Haram. The paper will be made available when published.

The rest of this column this week will share a few insights from the paper, and why I think we cannot defeat Boko Haram in the next 20 years if we continue on this path.

WHAT IS NIGERIA’S COUNTERINSURGENCY STRATEGY?

Have you ever asked yourself what Nigeria’s counterinsurgency (COIN) strategy is? In my interactions with soldiers, government officials, victims, and aid workers involved in the Boko Haram war, there is a simple retort: “that information should be classified”. Bloody civilians are not privy to such information.

No insurgency in the history of the 20th and 21st century has ever been won this way. Not one.

Broad COIN strategies are known, and are prosecuted with the support of the citizens. The fine details are what the military keeps as classified. To win any irregular warfare, you need “the population” on your side. The population in this sense are those people, whom the government has a responsibility to protect and whom Boko Haram uses as a weapon against the state. They are the victims of the war.

From my understanding of the war, Nigeria’s broad COIN is to outkill Boko Haram. This is simplistic use of brute force. Military spendings from 2011 to 2015 shows that Nigeria spent $16.382 billion on defence, but made little progress against Boko Haram. In fact, when military spendings were plotted against number of Boko Haram inflicted death, I found that the more we spent, the more deaths we recorded. The more we spent, the more Boko Haram progressed.

Boko Haram knows that we want to outkill them, so they use classic irregular warfare tactics to outmaneuver the military and lead the ill-equipped Nigerian forces into numerous ambushments.

Boko Haram’s ideology may not be too clear, or may be seen as “a mishmash of opportunism” as Cameron Duodu suggest, but we cannot deny the fact that there is an ideology. And you can’t kill an ideology with simple military force; for every terrorist killed, more fuel is added to the insurgent’s ideology tank for revenge. Or how do you kill the terrorism that looks down the barrel of your gun and sees paradise?

Until we have a strategy that includes force and counter-ideology, we would continue to lose money, arms, gallant soldiers, and the war itself.

FEW LESSONS FROM OTHER WARS

Of all the irregular warfares in the two centuries under review, the closest to the Boko Haram war, in my opinion, is the Malayan War of 1948 to 1960. This same war has been adjudged by many scholars and military experts as the classic counterinsurgency success for the British government, and a template, by which many other counterinsurgencies are executed or/and judged.

This war lasted 12 years! In the first two years, the British army was doing exactly what the Nigerian army has been doing with Boko Haram in the past nine years — exerting military force, and attempting to outkill insurgents.

Like Boko Haram, the Malayan Races Liberation Army (MRLA) had a better understanding of the geography and extreme temperatures, and used it as a complimentary weapon against the army; they had the sympathy of the population; and the necessary disappearance and operational agility.

MRLA avoided open battle but preferred ambushes, and fled along known jungle trails whenever engaged. This made it extremely difficult for the British forces to ascertain whether the enemy had been eliminated or simply melted away to return at a later date.

Same case as Boko Haram: A soldier who was raised in southern Nigeria is sent to Kagoro, Kala Balge, or Sambisa to fight insurgents who were raised in the region. Insurgents who know every nook and cranny of these forests, they use the terrain — which is the soldier’s blind spot — as a weapon. They lay an ambush, and kill soldiers for fun.

During the Malayan war, security forces conducted sweeps, destroying residences from which insurgents were perceived to have received some sort of support, and due to distrust, the British army often shot innocent civilians they found running away — so is the case with the Nigerian army. This made the people more sympathetic to the insurgents and made intel gathering next to impossible.

After two years of defeat, Field Marshal Montgomery wrote in 1951, a clear plan of action and a fit-for-purpose man to execute the plan was needed for victory in the Malayan war: “We must have a plan. Secondly, we must have a man. When we have a plan and a man, we shall succeed: not otherwise”.

By 1952, the Brits yielded to Montgomery and hatched a civil-military plan, led by General Gerald Templer, and prosecuted the plan for the next eight years, leading to the end of the insurgents.

After losing in our early years, Nigeria in 2014 also hatched a plan; the National Counter Terrorism Strategy (NACTEST), which was updated in 2016. Are you hearing this for the first time? I thought so too.

NACTEST as a COIN plan is ambiguous; has no designated lead ministry or agency, has no clear-cut coordination plan. The strategy as a whole is domiciled under the office of the national security adviser (NSA), who has no statutory role, rather than just advising the president. He does not have the power to fully implement the strategy as Templer did with British COIN in Malaya. The NSA has simply asked all ministries to open counterterrorism desks. Desks!

Time and chance will not permit me to discuss the French and American COIN in details, but there are immense lessons, highlighting the fact that Nigeria cannot defeat Boko Haram this way. To defeat a rag-tag fighting force like Boko Haram or ISWAP, we need to go back to 1994 and listen to UNDP: “The battle of peace has to be fought on two fronts. The first is the security front where victory spells out freedom from fear. The second is the economic and social front where victory means freedom from want”.

Nigeria needs civil-military operations that ensure we win the sympathy of the population, an understanding of the fighting terrain, economic liberty for those who are potential Boko Haram recruits, and then some sheer military force. This cannot be achieved in a hurry, the earlier, the better.

For more explanation of the British, French and American counterinsurgency plans as it relates to Nigeria, reach ‘Mayowa on Twitter @OluwamayowaTJ

© 2017 Copyright TheCable. All Rights reserved.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Litmus: 9:50am On Nov 29, 2018
BabaOwen:
Why Nigeria will NOT defeat Boko Haram in 20 years

This is a personal journey: Before I left for the United Kingdom in September 2017, I promised myself that my master degree was not going to be just another one. I said to myself that this one will be one that equips me to help Nigeria in her walk and work towards development.

In my written goal for the programme, I wrote that this degree will equip me to help Nigeria “as the country inches her way out of the claws of Boko Haram, an extremist group in the northeast,” by “working with development partners from across the world, who are focused on redeveloping the northeast region in the fastest possible time”.

As a brief background, I have worked on a few journalistic projects dealing with insurgency in the northeast, with the last being about the attack on civilian refugee camps in Rann, the northmost town in Nigeria, where over 126 people were killed. On arrival at the University of Sussex, the world’s best school for development studies, ahead of Harvard and Oxford, I was keenly looking for module choices that could help me address the problems I saw first hand in the northeast.

After learning about hands-on media tools, critical perspectives to development and social change, and other media-related issues, I wanted to learn more about insurgencies and how the mind of a terrorist works.

I enrolled with the School of Global Studies to take a course in irregular warfare, and learn more about the mind of an insurgent. I did not bargain for what I got. Long story cut short, I studied all irregular warfares in the 20th and 21st century. From my experience as a journalist, who has reported the war in the northeast, and my study of irregular warfares across the world, I wrote what I consider a fascinating paper on how Nigeria can defeat Boko Haram. The paper will be made available when published.

The rest of this column this week will share a few insights from the paper, and why I think we cannot defeat Boko Haram in the next 20 years if we continue on this path.

WHAT IS NIGERIA’S COUNTERINSURGENCY STRATEGY?

Have you ever asked yourself what Nigeria’s counterinsurgency (COIN) strategy is? In my interactions with soldiers, government officials, victims, and aid workers involved in the Boko Haram war, there is a simple retort: “that information should be classified”. Bloody civilians are not privy to such information.

No insurgency in the history of the 20th and 21st century has ever been won this way. Not one.

Broad COIN strategies are known, and are prosecuted with the support of the citizens. The fine details are what the military keeps as classified. To win any irregular warfare, you need “the population” on your side. The population in this sense are those people, whom the government has a responsibility to protect and whom Boko Haram uses as a weapon against the state. They are the victims of the war.

From my understanding of the war, Nigeria’s broad COIN is to outkill Boko Haram. This is simplistic use of brute force. Military spendings from 2011 to 2015 shows that Nigeria spent $16.382 billion on defence, but made little progress against Boko Haram. In fact, when military spendings were plotted against number of Boko Haram inflicted death, I found that the more we spent, the more deaths we recorded. The more we spent, the more Boko Haram progressed.

Boko Haram knows that we want to outkill them, so they use classic irregular warfare tactics to outmaneuver the military and lead the ill-equipped Nigerian forces into numerous ambushments.

Boko Haram’s ideology may not be too clear, or may be seen as “a mishmash of opportunism” as Cameron Duodu suggest, but we cannot deny the fact that there is an ideology. And you can’t kill an ideology with simple military force; for every terrorist killed, more fuel is added to the insurgent’s ideology tank for revenge. Or how do you kill the terrorism that looks down the barrel of your gun and sees paradise?

Until we have a strategy that includes force and counter-ideology, we would continue to lose money, arms, gallant soldiers, and the war itself.

FEW LESSONS FROM OTHER WARS

Of all the irregular warfares in the two centuries under review, the closest to the Boko Haram war, in my opinion, is the Malayan War of 1948 to 1960. This same war has been adjudged by many scholars and military experts as the classic counterinsurgency success for the British government, and a template, by which many other counterinsurgencies are executed or/and judged.

This war lasted 12 years! In the first two years, the British army was doing exactly what the Nigerian army has been doing with Boko Haram in the past nine years — exerting military force, and attempting to outkill insurgents.

Like Boko Haram, the Malayan Races Liberation Army (MRLA) had a better understanding of the geography and extreme temperatures, and used it as a complimentary weapon against the army; they had the sympathy of the population; and the necessary disappearance and operational agility.

MRLA avoided open battle but preferred ambushes, and fled along known jungle trails whenever engaged. This made it extremely difficult for the British forces to ascertain whether the enemy had been eliminated or simply melted away to return at a later date.

Same case as Boko Haram: A soldier who was raised in southern Nigeria is sent to Kagoro, Kala Balge, or Sambisa to fight insurgents who were raised in the region. Insurgents who know every nook and cranny of these forests, they use the terrain — which is the soldier’s blind spot — as a weapon. They lay an ambush, and kill soldiers for fun.

During the Malayan war, security forces conducted sweeps, destroying residences from which insurgents were perceived to have received some sort of support, and due to distrust, the British army often shot innocent civilians they found running away — so is the case with the Nigerian army. This made the people more sympathetic to the insurgents and made intel gathering next to impossible.

After two years of defeat, Field Marshal Montgomery wrote in 1951, a clear plan of action and a fit-for-purpose man to execute the plan was needed for victory in the Malayan war: “We must have a plan. Secondly, we must have a man. When we have a plan and a man, we shall succeed: not otherwise”.

By 1952, the Brits yielded to Montgomery and hatched a civil-military plan, led by General Gerald Templer, and prosecuted the plan for the next eight years, leading to the end of the insurgents.

After losing in our early years, Nigeria in 2014 also hatched a plan; the National Counter Terrorism Strategy (NACTEST), which was updated in 2016. Are you hearing this for the first time? I thought so too.

NACTEST as a COIN plan is ambiguous; has no designated lead ministry or agency, has no clear-cut coordination plan. The strategy as a whole is domiciled under the office of the national security adviser (NSA), who has no statutory role, rather than just advising the president. He does not have the power to fully implement the strategy as Templer did with British COIN in Malaya. The NSA has simply asked all ministries to open counterterrorism desks. Desks!

Time and chance will not permit me to discuss the French and American COIN in details, but there are immense lessons, highlighting the fact that Nigeria cannot defeat Boko Haram this way. To defeat a rag-tag fighting force like Boko Haram or ISWAP, we need to go back to 1994 and listen to UNDP: “The battle of peace has to be fought on two fronts. The first is the security front where victory spells out freedom from fear. The second is the economic and social front where victory means freedom from want”.

Nigeria needs civil-military operations that ensure we win the sympathy of the population, an understanding of the fighting terrain, economic liberty for those who are potential Boko Haram recruits, and then some sheer military force. This cannot be achieved in a hurry, the earlier, the better.

For more explanation of the British, French and American counterinsurgency plans as it relates to Nigeria, reach ‘Mayowa on Twitter @OluwamayowaTJ

© 2017 Copyright TheCable. All Rights reserved.

In short, Nigeria should try and win hearts and minds, beg a little, increase economic prosperity, provide jobs, rehabilitate terrorists and so on. How do we do this in Chad, Togo, Ivory Coast, Niger, Cameroon and, in future, if not now-ongoing, further afield where Bokoharam/iswap recruits/will recruit unemployed toe-rags, imbeciles, fanatics and opportunists?

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:33am On Nov 29, 2018
Litmus:

In short, Nigeria should try and win hearts and minds, beg a little, increase economic prosperity, provide jobs, rehabilitate terrorists and so on. How do we do this in Chad, Togo, Ivory Coast, Niger, Cameroon and, in future, if not now-ongoing, further afield where Bokoharam/iswap recruits/will recruit unemployed toe-rags, imbeciles, fanatics and opportunists?
so as for you, what's the solution ?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by rka2: 3:21pm On Nov 29, 2018

(1) (2) (3) ... (735) (736) (737) (738) (739) (740) (741) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.