Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu (35196 Views)

Eze Ndi Igbo In Lagos Reacts To Oba Of Lagos Anti-igbo Comment / Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu / Alleged Anti-Igbo Comment: What Oba Akiolu Really Said — Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by lalasticlala(m): 5:25pm On Apr 06, 2015
The Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria has issued a statement, condemning the alleged anti-Igbo statement made by the Oba of Lagos, Rilwanu Akiolu, when Igbo leaders in Lagos visited him on Sunday.
Read full statement below:

PRESS STATEMENT REACTING TO OBA AKIOLU’S CURSE ON THE IGBOS IN
LAGOS
“At the national offices of Caritas Nigeria and Justice Development and Peace Commission, we are totally shocked to read about the threat handed down by Oba Akiolu to the Igbos in Lagos. While it is understandable that a Royal Father would want for his wishes to be carried out, we are deeply concerned that the royal father is missing the point that Nigeria is a republic and a democracy and not a monarchy.

“We understand the genuine fear of the great Oba of losing Lagos to strangers. But Lagos has been one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Africa for decades and any citizen contributing to its economy and politics can be a bonafide resident. As such, the upstages as happened in the last elections are to be expected. Nevertheless natives and non-native residents should feel free to negotiate and clarify expectations but not in the threatening and intimidating manner the revered Oba has lashed out.

“We have just a few interrogations: why single out a particular ethnic group for this curse? Does it mean a Yoruba or Hausa person living in Lagos who votes for Jimi Agbaje will go scotfree but any Igbo who votes for Agbaje will drown in the Lagoon?
“Does it mean that people should vote out of fear and not their consciences? Would such an election be free and fair, where people have to vote out of intimidation?

Does not the threat of the Oba Akiolu amount to voter intimidation?

“We humbly call on the Oba himself to withdraw his curse and rather appeal to the people, for indeed such a threat may amount to playing God and God who is a merciful father will not allow his children to die so senselessly just because they were fulfilling the dictates of their conscience. The fact that APC is government at the centre is a strong factor to employ and appeal to people to vote APC rather than invoking ancestral powers for destruction. Why is it that in Africa we usually invoke our powers for destruction and not for building-up?”

Signed…
Fr. Evaristus Bassey
Executive Secretary
Caritas Nigeria and JDPC
Abuja

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/180672-alleged-anti-igbo-comment-catholic-church-group-tackles-oba-akiolu.html

51 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by miqos02(m): 5:27pm On Apr 06, 2015
the oba fuckd up

165 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2015
Such things will only happen when an OBA is a talkative.....Though I want ambode to win but I think the oba talked senselessly......

Edited: A reliable source said that the oba never cursed the igbos,I also saw the news on another thread probably on frontpage

18 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Gboliwe: 5:29pm On Apr 06, 2015
The Oba should just retract and apologise. This has gained too much publicity and it's so negative for him.

He should also learn to speak with wisdom and stop ranting like useless FFK.

34 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by ElekeNtioba: 5:29pm On Apr 06, 2015
Igbos should forgive Oba Akiolu. Desperation and panic got the better of him. He's human after all.

Moreover, why would anyone be worried about threats from yoruba?? Their attempts at intimidation always looks childish. They are only masters in chest-beating and noise-making.

Pls lets not over-blow this incident for the sake of this country.

105 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 06, 2015
There are 2 types of south easterners. One is called Igbo while the other is Ibo. The Igbo live peacefully wherever they find themselves while the Ibo is all about confusion, division, destruction, tribalism and fraudulent activities. Which are you?

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by DickDastardly(m): 5:31pm On Apr 06, 2015
Oba WHY?
angry

6 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by MzJackBaueress(f): 5:33pm On Apr 06, 2015
This issue is becoming a serious one.

Too bad!

5 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by raumdeuter: 5:33pm On Apr 06, 2015
The Oba has spoken.

The same way Arthur Eze in the presence of Jonathan threatened anyone who votes Amala people.

The Oba simply responded in kind

First to do , No dey pain

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by DuchessLily(f): 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2015
Some pple still want to cause wahala/war in dis country

As election has not succeeded in causing break up.....some pple no like am

We have to be careful ...especially all these old men who are supposed to knw better, and lead the youths through d right part

26 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Emmyginger(m): 5:37pm On Apr 06, 2015
why does this man want to rubebe d election in lagos,he must be JEGAD

27 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by eagleeye2: 5:37pm On Apr 06, 2015
Oba Akiolu has opened the floor for insult on his person and his office.
And I start by saying he is an imbe'cile

158 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Nobody: 5:38pm On Apr 06, 2015
When will all these leaders learn to walk in GEJ's footsteps. Election no bi do or die affair naa

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by RockMaxi: 5:39pm On Apr 06, 2015
How and why should I defend the Oba?

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Yeske2(m): 5:41pm On Apr 06, 2015
Oba Rilwan should retract this statement and don't make me regret ever being Pro-APC all this while, why the threats?

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by omenka(m): 5:42pm On Apr 06, 2015
Gboliwe:
The Oba should just retract and apologise. This has gained too much publicity and it's so negative for him.

He should also learn to speak with wisdom and stop ranting like useless FFK.
The Palace has already clarified this. The Oba never made such a statement, it is just PDP sticking unto their divisive tradition of ethnoreligious politicking. They will milk this trash for what it's worth whether or not there's a shred of truth in it.

This is the kind of legacy Jonathan has bequeathed on PDP.

Edit: to all the ethnic bigots quoting me and saying trash, here's some clarification.

This post was made before the video and audio recording went viral. Have watched and listened to it and feel the Oba erred and should tender an unreserved apology to the Igbos.

Now, you guys should stop spamming my mentions.

2 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by omenka(m): 5:44pm On Apr 06, 2015
Let me ask this question: where were all these later day zealots when Oyadepo threatened to open the gates of hell on any christian who dared to vote anyone besides Jonathan

Rubbish.

9 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by ChinemeOkpan: 5:44pm On Apr 06, 2015
Oba of Lagos should be respected by all lagosians- both indigenes and immigrants

No one should disrespect Oba Akiolu

He has spoken, everyone should adjust accordingly

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by chymystique(f): 5:46pm On Apr 06, 2015
I dont know why people are taking this his Curse ish seriously.. He is just bluffing. If indeed he said it and is denying it, "whatever evil he wished for the igbos will be returned baCk to him the sender in Jesus name Amen!"..

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 06, 2015
I know the purpose of nairaland is to keep its readers informed but topics like this should be reduced. It brings out the tribalistic nature of most people. Reading how Yorubas supported the earliest thread brought tears to my eyes.....some are supporting genocide. If you leave the shores of Nigeria no one cares what tribe you're.why can't we live like that in our own country?

35 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Nairalane: 5:48pm On Apr 06, 2015
Chai! Chai!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by taharqa: 5:49pm On Apr 06, 2015
ChinemeOkpan:
Oba of Lagos should be respected by all lagosians- both indigenes and immigrants

No one should disrespect Oba Akiolu

He has spoken, everyone should adjust accordingly

Lol.. Na by force to respect pesin too. Or would I also due in the Atlantic Ocean in 4 days??

By the way, nobody is disrespecting the 'oba'. He is actually worst than a DRUNK and a TOUT for making those statements. A disgrace to his ancestors and the good people of Lagos

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by ChristyG(f): 5:51pm On Apr 06, 2015
lalasticlala:
The Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria has issued a statement, condemning the alleged anti-Igbo statement made by the Oba of Lagos, Rilwanu Akiolu, when Igbo leaders in Lagos visited him on Sunday.
Read full statement below:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/180672-alleged-anti-igbo-comment-catholic-church-group-tackles-oba-akiolu.html
mtcheeeeew,but bassey ignores when ss and se threatens yorubas now they are making noise.bloody hypocrites.oro rirun,oro oshi jati jati

4 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by ChristyG(f): 5:55pm On Apr 06, 2015
When oyedepo said that the gates of hell will open on those who refused to vote for jonathan,where was bassey?no where since jona is from his region,now he is talking sh1t here.can these people just stop with the hypocrisy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Texcoco(m): 5:57pm On Apr 06, 2015
The Oba spoke the mindd of thousands of yorubas,it will be foolish if we are caught unawares...An AK47 is #150000 at premium,Makarov 9mm 50K and Tech-9 at 110k.
What is money if your very existence is threatened.
ICC and Posterity will judge him when the killings begin.....Arm yourselves,defend your markets from arsonists and thugs,defend your homes,your neighbourhood....We have done it before,we can do it again.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 06, 2015
I don't blame them they were made to practise democracy by oyibo under duress unlike the Igbo that were democracts by birth. Oba akolu u Bleep up wella n cos of that I am mobilising my Igbo brothers to vote for opposition, let's see if the lagoon will swallow you.

35 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Nobody: 6:03pm On Apr 06, 2015
Segeggs:
There are 2 types of south easterners. One is called Igbo while the other is Ibo. The Igbo live peacefully wherever they find themselves while the Ibo is all about confusion, division, destruction, tribalism and fraudulent activities. Which are you?
nobody gave you right to classify igbos. you certainly aren't even Igbo. For your Information. There is one and only Igbo. whether from Anambra, ebonyi, imo, abia. parts of delta and rivers, or enugu. igbo bu igbo.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by taharqa: 6:03pm On Apr 06, 2015
paolo96:

Am not surprised cos you lack respect in Igbo land,wether na lie or not the Oba as said the will of the people.Be warned!!

Who told you am Igbo, ikpii??

I would react exactly the way am currently doing if the at ignoble statement was made by any other Person. Those are the kinds of statements that usher in genocides in a country.

Anybody who doesn't know this is probably just a Bush animal like the 'oba' who made the statement

21 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by ObiOkpor(m): 6:03pm On Apr 06, 2015
Na that USELESS oba na una dey seend ni? Na mumu him b naw.

18 Likes

Re: Alleged Anti-igbo Comment: Catholic Church Group Tackles Oba Akiolu by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 06, 2015
Khalessi:
I know the purpose of nairaland is to keep its readers informed but topics like this should be reduced. It brings out the tribalistic nature of most people. Reading how Yorubas supported the earliest thread brought tears to my eyes.....some are supporting genocide. If you leave the shores of Nigeria no one cares what tribe you're.why can't we live like that in our own country?
all these igbos in apc will start feeling 'not among'. how do you threaten someone Jan a democratic setting. shiit. Yoruba are uneducated indeed. just like their lliterate general.

28 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Profile Of Justice Okon Abang Of Abuja High Court / 7 Issues President Buhari Failed To Address In Broadcast / Army To Begin ‘Exercise Egwu Eke’ II In Abia, Anambra, Enugu On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.