Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,883 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It (24908 Views)

The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria / Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria / What Many Business Website Lacks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 10:07am On Apr 08, 2015
USAutoBuy:
I am not saying capital is not important. but if i have to chose one, i will take experience. with experience YOU can still grow if you are creative with capital sourcing. Its still going to be capital but not YOUR own

But growing is IMPOSSIBLE with no experience to do good job and attract more clients

You are right.
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by mcsnup: 10:44am On Apr 08, 2015
why sit, watch and hear when play, participate and enjoy... Learn to play musical instrument(s) of your choosing. Contact rehearsalhouse and get the best deal

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 11:39am On Apr 08, 2015
mcsnup:
why sit, watch and hear when play, participate and enjoy... Learn to play musical instrument(s) of your choosing. Contact rehearsalhouse and get the best deal

Don't understand.
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by Chigold101(m): 11:43am On Apr 08, 2015
ikbnice:
Wot abt high costs of productn expecially due to lact of electrity and also 'crazy' taxes nd levies meant to cripple entrepreneurz.
If u cn survive in Nigeria, u cn survive anywere else in d world.
well i dont know how many countries you v lived in & how many you have started a business in. However, from experience not minding the challenge of electricity depending on what you are going into, Nigeria is still the easiest country to start up a business or SME.

The major problem facing Nigeria small business owners is how to manage finance, PERIOD.

Because it easier to run a business here without being heavily taxed or u even paying tax at all. Many people tend to spend money & prove themselves to be “big“ girls or boys. They end up eating part of their start up capital.

As bad as Nigeria is, it is still better than any other country I have been to.
No country in Europe & Africa can compeet with Nigeria in SMEs. Nigerians are so so enterprising & if we can get some little financial management brain, we will go places.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 12:35pm On Apr 08, 2015
Chigold101:
well i dont know how many countries you v lived in & how many you have started a business in. However, from experience not minding the challenge of electricity depending on what you are going into, Nigeria is still the easiest country to start up a business or SME.

The major problem facing Nigeria small business owners is how to manage finance, PERIOD.

Because it easier to run a business here without being heavily taxed or u even paying tax at all. Many people tend to spend money & prove themselves to be “big“ girls or boys. They end up eating part of their start up capital.

As bad as Nigeria is, it is still better than any other country I have been to.
No country in Europe & Africa can compeet with Nigeria in SMEs. Nigerians are so so enterprising & if we can get some little financial management brain, we will go places.

You are very right. People always find excuses to give and they think that other countries do not have bigger taxes.
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by TopHand: 2:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
Doing business is rewarding and enjoyable whenever u open a new u must be not only b prepared, but you must b focused, disciplined and b ready to think in the opposite direction to solve a problem - you must b ready to take a U turn
preparation, this is must include not making a profit for first 2 years, I once ask an uncle of my why did he have so many different businesses he told me that doing business is like mixed farming an orange tree takes 10 -15 years b4 it produces so why only plant oranges, why not plant corn vegetables etc between the ridges, never expect a new business to feed u or pay the rent.
1. Factored all costs needed for running that business, buy do not rent whenever possible the major cost aspects to run that business e.g. if it is a shop u want to open devise a plan to buy the shop remember the shop itself is an investment on its own.
2. Sort out yur power needs electricity unfortunately is holding Nigeria from developing, the good news is that solar energy represents a very good investment, if you are going to be generating power buy at least two brand new inverter generators, these generators maintain a good constant variable supply of current this adds to the longetivity of yur equipments.
3 Start with a small amount of stock, never over stock this will prevent storage and security problems affecting you, after some time u will get to know how much stock is required over a set period of time.
4. Marketing, spend on marketing yur initial strategy is to carry out a survey of people who sell yur product, I said sell not buy, listen to their misgivings and devise a strategy to make yur product superior, market yur product, get 2 know what kind of people yur customers r, do their use the internet? social media? mobile phones? connect to them, flood them with sms about yur bulk discounts, holiday promotions, events etc
5. Employ a reliable team and reward them 4 their efforts
6. Make use of technological advances in equipment although this is a long term need, employed only when the business is firmly on its feet
These are some of my secrets NL, Nigeria is big enough 4 all to prosper

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 2:16pm On Apr 08, 2015
TopHand:
Doing business is rewarding and enjoyable whenever u open a new u must be not only b prepared, but you must b focused, disciplined and b ready to think in the opposite direction to solve a problem - you must b ready to take a U turn
preparation, this is must include not making a profit for first 2 years, I once ask an uncle of my why did he have so many different businesses he told me that doing business is like mixed farming an orange tree takes 10 -15 years b4 it produces so why only plant oranges, why not plant corn vegetables etc between the ridges, never expect a new business to feed u or pay the rent.
1. Factored all costs needed for running that business, buy do not rent whenever possible the major cost aspects to run that business e.g. if it is a shop u want to open devise a plan to buy the shop remember the shop itself is an investment on its own.
2. Sort out yur power needs electricity unfortunately is holding Nigeria from developing, the good news is that solar energy represents a very good investment, if you are going to be generating power buy at least two brand new inverter generators, these generators maintain a good constant variable supply of current this adds to the longetivity of yur equipments.
3 Start with a small amount of stock, never over stock this will prevent storage and security problems affecting you, after some time u will get to know how much stock is required over a set period of time.
4. Marketing, spend on marketing yur initial strategy is to carry out a survey of people who sell yur product, I said sell not buy, listen to their misgivings and devise a strategy to make yur product superior, market yur product, get 2 know what kind of people yur customers r, do their use the internet? social media? mobile phones? connect to them, flood them with sms about yur bulk discounts, holiday promotions, events etc
6. Make use of technological advances in equipment although this is a long term need, employed only when the business is firmly on its feet

Very Apt
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 6:39pm On Apr 08, 2015
mcsnup:

Don't understand.
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 12:05pm On Apr 09, 2015
Thanks for the time and reply.
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by mcsnup: 8:16pm On Apr 09, 2015
wilsonl:

Don't understand.
are you a novice or you can play an instrument but desire to know more and play like the professionals. Send me a mail at rehearsalhousenigeria@gmail.com or call me no 08037302976
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 3:26am On Apr 10, 2015
mcsnup:
are you a novice or you can play an instrument but desire to know more and play like the professionals. Send me a mail at rehearsalhousenigeria@gmail.com or call me no 08037302976

Ok
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by wilsonl: 9:29am On Apr 10, 2015
TopHand:

Nice
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by IGWEILOH: 1:59pm On Apr 16, 2015
Great write up
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by ikemefunam: 4:54pm On Nov 12, 2015
my opinion is that the problem of business owners in nigeria are:
1. managerial incompetency.
2.problems of financial management and accounting.
3.ignorance and not open to change.

1.Managerial incompetency:having knowledge of your business is different from having managerial skills.Imgine a business owner employing a professional who knows his onion,rather than giving the proffessional his scope of work and allowing him to do his work,while you appraise and take professional advice from him,the owner was busy bulling the professional because he thinks the professional is superior/has a knowledge which he the owner, does not have.E.G i have worked for an employer who wants Accounting his own way forgeting there is a General Acceptable Accounting Practice(GAAP),A business that makes billion and you advice him of an Accounting Database and he turns it down just because the idea comes from you, not him and so to other ideas.This lead every one afraid to take decision and professionals in the system leaving the system,now the system is left with dons who has nothing to offer(just siting down and awaiting his instruction)............
Re: Why Many Business Fail In Nigeria And How To Avoid It by NaijaPress: 4:14pm On Feb 16, 2020
Business will continue to fail in a bad environment...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BLACK FRIDAY: Amazon's Jeff Bezo Hit $100 Billion Mark / Earn N10,000 Daily With This POS At N15,500/device. Instant Transactions. / Complaints Mount As Enaira App Tops 100,000 Downloads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.