Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,511 members, 7,801,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. (38414 Views)

Recall Of Suspended Judges: NJC Fires Back, Says Presidency Lied To Nigerians / Bring Back Lagos – Calabar Rail Project---vanguard / Hahaha! See What A Colonial Oyibo Writer Said About ''Eboes'' (Igbo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by shizzleStar: 11:14am On Apr 09, 2015
OrigamiIII:
[s]With this development, we advice any or all yorubas resident in the SE to start relocating back home because a cleansing of lagos and the entire SW would soon inevitably commence. Let each side prepare for the D-Day[/s].
bla..bla...bla...mychewww
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Alfamann: 11:26am On Apr 09, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I wil even give u my address. Eni Sango ba ti oju e wole koni bawon bu Oba Koso. U already knw Oba Akiolu's palace, what hav u done to him? A f00l of the highest order.

please stop pissing your pants. We wont attack you physically.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by 0ldirtybastard(m): 11:36am On Apr 09, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
it is your entire family that are goats

Never a sensible post in your life.

2 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 09, 2015
Alfamann:

please stop pissing your pants. We wont attack you physically.
'Yoruba' ni mi o! Bi egungun ba danwo, yoo di eniyan! If u hav ever seen the slaughter of humans during wars, you won't dare pricing meats at abbatoir again. Osan ki pon ki o koja ganrin, oorun kii ran ki o koja dedeede, o nbo loke, o nbo lodo, oro kii le koko ki o koja ogun.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by ugia(f): 12:03pm On Apr 09, 2015
Lets think deeply here my Igbo brothers an adage goes thus when two elephants are fighting it is the grass that suffers. The Igbo man must be wise and shine his eyes. Agbaje is simply playing the igbos like pawns on a chess board. Lets be logical and holistic here he needs the Igbo population to achieve his selfish goals and will stop at nothing to achieve it. Knowing the kind of people the yorubas are you will be shocked at what will happen post 11April 2015. Lets vote objectively based on performance.

3 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by ddefoe: 12:32pm On Apr 09, 2015
Aside sentiments,I am a proud ibo man and I think this man is not speaking the minds of other ibos.I am shocked to say the least and I think this is not good for ethnic relations between the two tribes.I am a historian and I know that Lagos before the advent of colonial masters was already settled by the people of southwest and their is no question of if the land belongs to them.I want to encourage my people in lagos to pursue peace with their host.it will benefit them more.let's not allow politics to becloud our reasoning.after all said and done,its yoruba son in the person of Agbaje or Ambode that will be the governor.what the hell is all these noise about?

8 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by akoraye(m): 12:34pm On Apr 09, 2015
unite4real:
Its truly a colonial settlement because names like Epe, Surulere, Egbeda, Ilupeju, Shomolu, Mushin, Ajah, maroko etc are all Colonial names.

Its true again because when the colonial masters came, Lagos was empty. there were no human beings there. So the Colonial masters started speaking Yoruba and began to name all those areas above.

Wow. what a revelation.

Na so! grin
unite4real:
Its truly a colonial settlement because names like Epe, Surulere, Egbeda, Ilupeju, Shomolu, Mushin, Ajah, maroko etc are all Colonial names.

Its true again because when the colonial masters came, Lagos was empty. there were no human beings there. So the Colonial masters started speaking Yoruba and began to name all those areas above.

Wow. what a revelation.

Na so!
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by birdman(m): 12:51pm On Apr 09, 2015
naijababe:

Funny man. You really think JK will do an Afonja? It's all about votes man. It is wishful thinking to imagine that JK will win and automatically become Azikiwe, the Igbos are being played.

Thats what Afonja thought too. He really just wanted to get into power, not give Ilorin away, but once he created that break, he could not fill the power vacuum quick enough. Of course JK is trying to use the Igbos here, damaging their reputation in the process. But PDP is also playing JK, using him to start an internecine war that will create confusion and a possible power vacuum in Lagos.

4 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Stunner1(f): 12:52pm On Apr 09, 2015
shizzleStar:
Shhhhh!

...and who says we own lagos?? who is claiming lagos?, is it Igbos or yorubas from other South West states who are not even indigenes of lagos that are claiming lagos? how does no mans land mean we own lagos?, is it only Igbos that refer t Lagos as no mans land

STOP IT!!!!!!
Dnt try to hush me up nexttime

2 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by shizzleStar: 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2015
Stunner1:

STOP IT!!!!!!
Dnt try to hush me up nexttime
Then stop the misinterpretation.

Take correction on claim on ownership and move on.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Stunner1(f): 1:13pm On Apr 09, 2015
shizzleStar:
Then stop the misinterpretation.

Take correction on claim on ownership and move on.

Excuse you
What misinterpretation?
I'm Igbo n i will say the truth if you dnt like it dude then swerve
I dnt have the time to join words with you
Its us dt always claim lagos is no man's land and really lagos has indigenes so why call it no man's land?
My fellow igbo men and women let's go back home and develop our cities abeg lagos aint gold
Build your houses there and open up juicy outlets and much more
Enough of the insults from our western neighbours
I was born and bred here in lagos even schooled in the west but i will go back home and develop my land because i am a BIAFRAN!!

Pls oga no quote my post again

4 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by shizzleStar: 1:20pm On Apr 09, 2015
Stunner1:

[s]Excuse you
What misinterpretation?
I'm Igbo n i will say the truth if you dnt like it dude then swerve
I dnt have the time to join words with you
Its us dt always claim lagos is no man's land and really lagos has indegenes so why call it no man's land?
My fellow igbo men and women let's go back home and develop our cities abeg lagos aint gold
Build your houses there and open up juicy outlets and much more
Enough of the insults from our western neighbours
I was born and bred here in lagos even schooled in the west but i will go back home and develop my land because i am a BIAFRAN!!
Pls oga no quote my post again[/s]
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2015
birdman:

Thats what Afonja thought too. He really just wanted to get into power, not give Ilorin away, but once he created that break, he could not fill the power vacuum quick enough. Of course JK is trying to use the Igbos here, damaging their reputation in the process. But PDP is also playing JK, using him to start an internecine war that will create confusion and a possible power vacuum in Lagos.

At bolded, I agree but I will be really surprised if JK does not know that! JK imo if he gets elected will simply act like the prodigal son and return home. It would have been different of course if ACN is the opposition at the centre.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Chiaka(f): 2:31pm On Apr 09, 2015
Ok. So Lagos is a Colonial arrangement. Islands that were not habited by anyone before the colonial guys came to take them over, Settled in there and named those Islands Lagos. After the colonial era, the colonial master left and some people occupied. I get. The message is so clear. No mans land! No wonder Oyo, Ogun etc are owned
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by knowledgeable: 3:26pm On Apr 09, 2015
OrigamiIII:
With this development, we advice any or all yorubas resident in the SE to start relocating back home because a cleansing of lagos and the entire SW would soon inevitably commence. Let each side prepare for the D-Day.

Bro, don't you know, this is exactly and perfectly what the Igbos are praying for. Igbos are forced into Nigeria or Lagos, and they want a way out. They have absolutely nothing in common with Yorubas nor islam. Don't forget to call on your brothers working in oil companies in the ss. Refuse to do the above, lagos remains no man's land eternally with Igbos gaining in strength by strength.

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Babacele: 3:52pm On Apr 09, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
just pardon the old, dirty bastard!
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by austinvsb1(m): 5:16pm On Apr 09, 2015
If there is anything the last few days happenings have taught me, it's that igbos are the worst set of people to associate with. I have since yesterday broken contact with every one of them I have as friends and fuckmates. Senseless idiots that reward hospitality with hostility!

It's best every yoruba man start treating igbos around them with hate and bitterns, Don't show them love, the i.diots are not worth it! I hate the Igbos so much now I can't even explain it, something that wasn't the case few months ago.

Their forefathers and fellow bigoted individuals, Ojukwu, agunyi ironsi amongst others have always been greedy so it's not surprising seeing the new generation idiotic drugpushers towing the same path of self destruction.

The good thing about all of these now is, yorubas are wiser and the whole sophisticated attribute is being put aside thanks to oba akiolu's outburst! Igbos will feel so much heat from now on thhat no one will tell them before they start relocating to their deadzone!

Like fani kayode said, yorubas have always been and will always will be aheaad of this flat.ties no matter what they do!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by 0ldirtybastard(m): 5:32pm On Apr 09, 2015
Babacele:
just pardon the old, dirty bastard!

Dry.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Babacele: 5:34pm On Apr 09, 2015
0ldirtybastard:

Dry.
really ?
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by laudate: 5:41pm On Apr 09, 2015
ddefoe:
Aside sentiments,I am a proud ibo man and I think this man is not speaking the minds of other ibos.I am shocked to say the least and I think this is not good for ethnic relations between the two tribes.I am a historian and I know that Lagos before the advent of colonial masters was already settled by the people of southwest and their is no question of if the land belongs to them.I want to encourage my people in lagos to pursue peace with their host.it will benefit them more.let's not allow politics to becloud our reasoning.after all said and done,its yoruba son in the person of Agbaje or Ambode that will be the governor.what the hell is all these noise about?

God will bless you one million times on Sundays and every other day for speaking the truth. cheesy

You will never find a Fulani man calling Lagos a no man's land or a 'colonial settlement.'

A Gwari man, or an Ibibio or even a Bachama person would NOT make that mistake. Yet the Igbo thrive in repeating this fallacy that Lagos is a no man's land or a 'colonial settlement' knowing quite well that it is insulting to the sensibilities of their hosts.

Why?? shocked shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by meforyou1(m): 5:52pm On Apr 09, 2015
Lagos, a conquered colonial enclave, has never been, and will never be yorubaland

1 Like

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by ddefoe: 6:01pm On Apr 09, 2015
laudate:

God will bless you one million times on Sundays and every other day for speaking the truth. cheesy

You will never find a Fulani man calling Lagos a no man's land or a 'colonial settlement.'

A Gwari man, or an Ibibio or even a Bachama person would NOT make that mistake. Yet the Igbo thrive in repeating this fallacy that Lagos is a no man's land or a 'colonial settlement' knowing quite well that it is insulting to the sensibilities of their hosts.

Why?? shocked shocked
God bless u too! My desire is for peace in lagos to reign.the yorubas and Igbos has been living in peace for ages.we have inter married and I can't recollect any time the Igbos has been slaughtered nor discriminated by the yorubas unlike in the North.like what I use to say,no single individual can speak for a whole tribe.that's his personal opinion and it doesn't reflect the opinion of many Igbo men like me.I don't see the reason why people like to fan embers of hatred.I don't like the comment attributed to the oba but however,it has been hijacked for political gain.my advise to all lagosians is that whoever wins on saturday,Lagos will remain and hopely the person will continue from where fashola stop.We need peace in nigeria and I make bold to say that I am Ibo and I love my Yoruba brothers.I love my yoruba friends both in my work place and my beloved church.they are dear to me.God bless Igbo nation,God bless Yoruba Nation,God bless lagos state! ONE lOVE!

2 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by laudate: 6:06pm On Apr 09, 2015
meforyou1:
Lagos, a conquered colonial enclave, has never been, and will never be yorubaland

Let me guess...you now speak for all the people that come from Lagos State, abi? ? shocked

You need to take a course in History. Wikipedia is your friend:

Wikipedia:

Area
Lagos has a total of 3,577 square kilometers; 787 square kilometers is made up of lagoons and creeks including: Lagos Lagoon, Lagos Harbour, Five Cowrie Creek, Ebute-Metta Creek, Porto-Novo Creek, New Canal, Badagry Creek, Kuramo Waters and Lighthouse Creek.

Names of Lagos
Lagos means "lakes" in Portuguese, the language of first European-settlers known to visit the settlement,then already inhabited by the Awori people, in 1472.[1] From the first contacts with the region until the early 20th century, another Portuguese name for the city that was interchangeably used was Onim,[2] finally abandonned in favor of Lagos.

Prior to Lagos being adopted, the settlement was called Eko by its Kingdom of Benin conquerors, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink.

Founding of Lagos
According to the oral history of Lagos, at some point around 1300-1400 CE, the Oba (King) of the Benin Empire - who used to send trade expeditions to Ghana, where spices were traded - heard from one of his traders complaints about the way she was being treated by the Awori who lived in the area of current day Lagos. The Oba of Benin then sent a trade expedition by sea to engage with the Awori people, who nonetheless declined to engage and attacked the mission sent by Benin.

Upon hearing this as the mission returned to Benin City, the Oba of Benin commanded the assembling of a war expedition, led by Ado, a Benin Prince, which headed to the settlement of the Awori (current-day Lagos; then called Eko by the Benin people) and demanded an explanation.

On getting there, Ado and his army were more than well received - the Awori from Lagos asked Benin Prince Ado to stay there and become their leader. Ado agreed, on the condition that they surrendered their sovereignty to the Oba of Benin, to which the Awori people of Lagos agreed.

Upon hearing this, the Oba of Benin gave his permission for Prince Ado and the expedition to remain in Eko with the Awori. The Oba of Benin later sent some of his chiefs, including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro and others, to assist Ado in the running of Eko.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by meforyou1(m): 6:18pm On Apr 09, 2015
laudate:

Let me guess...you now speak for all the people that come from Lagos State, abi? ? shocked

You need to take a course in History. Wikipedia is your friend:

Your response is what we have been saying. Lagos was originally conquered by the benin kingdom. Mr akiolu you call your Oba is a subject of benin empire
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by laudate: 6:21pm On Apr 09, 2015
meforyou1:
Your response is what we have been saying. Lagos was originally conquered by the benin kingdom. Mr akiolu you call your Oba is a subject of benin empire

You obviously did not read the entire portion at the Wikipedia site very well. It is 5 times longer than what was posted here. That is why the source was included. It said: "Lagos means "lakes" in Portuguese, the language of first European-settlers known to visit the settlement, then already inhabited by the Awori people, in 1472. [1] From the first contacts with the region until the early 20th century, another Portuguese name for the city that was interchangeably used was Onim,[2] finally abandonned in favor of Lagos.""

Before the Benin empire intervened in the area known as Lagos, it was originally inhabited and owned by the Aworis for over 200 years!!

Even the Binis that originally came there to trade, still ended up leaving. Educate yourself before yarning, bros!

2 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by meforyou1(m): 6:26pm On Apr 09, 2015
laudate:

You obviously did not read the entire portion at the Wikipedia site very well. It is 5 times longer than what was posted here. That is why the source was included.

Before the Benin empire intervened in the area known as Lagos, it was originally inhabited and owned by the Aworis for over 200 years!!

Even the Binis that originally came there to trade, still ended up leaving. Educate yourself before yarning, bros!
what was the name in the 200 years awori fishermen lived there? And who renamed it Lagos, a Latin name,when and under what circumstances
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by laudate: 6:32pm On Apr 09, 2015
meforyou1:
what was the name in the 200 years awry fishermen lived there? And who renamed it Lagos, a Latin name,when and under what circumstances

Bros, I have posted the links. Go on the internet. Search for information. Google is your friend.

Only 10 year olds expect to be spoon-fed with information..... shocked

2 Likes

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by Osakah24(m): 6:53pm On Apr 09, 2015
Canme4u:

The above is the reason we ask Igbo to know their boundry. We didnt stop you from owning property non business. Just that you should respect your host and whatever Yorubas cannot do in your Eastern part of the country, do not do it here in Western states. What you cannot get do not give.

Moreso, I don't like your LAGOS MIGHT BE YORUBA LAND TOO.
LAGOS IS A YORUBA LAND, THE EARLIER YOU STICK THAT TO YOUR BRAIN THE BETTER.

Are we Yorubas asking for too much?

Thanks but no thanks.
I am not igbo and i dont reside in lagos,get that into your thick skull bigot.
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by meforyou1(m): 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2015
laudate:

Bros, I have posted the links. Go on the internet. Search for information. Google is your friend.

Only 10 year olds expect to be spoon-fed with information..... shocked
Don't ever quote me with your stuupidty. Lagos is no man's land and shall remain so
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by meforyou1(m): 9:31pm On Apr 09, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Berem, atimes, I just feel like exposing you fully. Something always holds me back. Just mind yourself

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by MzJackBaueress(f): 9:40pm On Apr 09, 2015
meforyou1:
Berem, atimes, I just feel like exposing you fully. Something always holds me back. Just mind yourself
you are very stoopid! Should I be scared or what?

Ewu ohafia!
Re: APGA Fires Back: Lagos Is A Colonial Settlement, Not A Yoruba Land. by quickly: 9:41pm On Apr 09, 2015
meforyou1:
Don't ever quote me with your stuupidty. Lagos is no man's land and shall remain so

mumu ikorodu and epe na space those one dey

Covetouness na in go kill u

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Okowa Hails Tompolo On 50th Birthday: You Have Contributed Greatly To Delta / List Of Commissioners And Special Advisers In Imo State / Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu Idanre Hills’ Post: Tajudeen Adefisoye Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.