Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) (26037 Views)

My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me / I Was Slapped By My Employer / My Employer Robbed Me In Broad Daylight! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by MazadoGoodman: 9:21am On Apr 16, 2015
Perhaps, he could take his case to institutions like the Public Complaints Commission, NLC, TUC, etc. Maybe, even ICPC.

Fact is, this is morally wrong, economic sabotage, religious misadventure, socially undignifying, therefore totally unacceptable. This is shamefully showing how emasculated the majority are in this country.

However, there are only two options in this scenario, none is easy:

1. CONFRONTATION

or

2. COMPROMISE

I feel for your brother, but it's actually his call; only he can liberate himself. Go with God!

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Tshaphilo: 9:22am On Apr 16, 2015
Advise ur brother to continue to look for another place with the help of mother mary he will gt a better place. l was in that type of situation for 7yrs an nothing came out at d end I was asked to leave witout any benefit.Mean while my church has a general hospitalized that 75%of the staff are non Catholics.

3 Likes

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Pennyways: 9:23am On Apr 16, 2015
ubiquitousade:

tell your bro to look for another job. it is slavery
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Octaves(m): 9:24am On Apr 16, 2015
Ok. Thanks a lot
Prettiepearlz:

This is slavery and it should not be condoned. @Octave,is your bro married? Is it the money (#50,000) your family is depending on? If no,then why d hell is he still there,frm ur posts so far,u dont want it to leave now because of d token he is still receiving and yet u came here 4 advice. The best solution is for your brother to quit that job. 4 d fact that he's still has a small income will not give him enough zeal he needs to go out and look 4 a good and well paying job that will not interfere with his freedom. He needs to quit d job because if pple sees that he still has a job,they wont help. For crying out loud,50k is not even enough to take care of a family,let him quit and prob start something with his savings 4 d main time and then set out to look for a good job. And one more thing,in the Catholic church(because I'm a Catholic) they have well to do pple,some own companies,some work in reputable companies and holds respectable positions in their place of work and they can help get a job,so let ur brother explain his predicament to ur Parish Priest and I'm sure he should be able to talk to one of his parishioners who would be willing to help. Don't assume he wouldn't,just try!

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by chrisley024(m): 9:27am On Apr 16, 2015
It's very possible the man is using his workers to make money; maybe the reason he insists on them attending the church and taking communion(I can never do this one)

3 Likes

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Octaves(m): 9:31am On Apr 16, 2015
He's agreed to stop receiving communion and see what the employee will do. Thanks
femi4:
That communion part is very risky.....I v never seen where they force people to eat communion. It should be voluntary.
I am afraid your brother's destiny is being used. There is no attributes of a Christian from the attitude of your brother's boss and his wife
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by boujaye: 9:33am On Apr 16, 2015
Octaves:
I heard my brother got a job at a maintenance firm in PH. I came back for Easter and on sunday after attending holy saturday vigil mass (we are catholics), and that morning, he dressed up for service at some other church.

I asked why he was going there, and he started explaining that it was part of the job he took- the employer's wife is the owner of the church and the man makes it compulsory for every one of his employees to attend else a certain amount will be deducted from your salary. If you don't come during weekdays to cut grass and do clean-up, money will also be deducted.

I fail to understand how a human (somebody that calls himself a man of God) would violate people's freedom of religion like that all in the name of job.

The most annoying part is that he forces them to receive communion. That is particularly worrying because you don't know what really you are receiving especially since there is tattle that the man could be an Ogboni man.

The money being deducted ranges from about 5000 to 15,000 and their salary is about N50,000. If there is any donation in the church, the man deducts it from your salary.
So I need advice.

What are you waiting for? dump that job and run for your life, this anti-christ ministry

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Defcon1(m): 9:33am On Apr 16, 2015
Only in Nigeria!!!

Church my middle finger!

Charlatans giving Christ a bad name.
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by johnydon22(m): 9:34am On Apr 16, 2015
[size=20] Thats no big deal, go to the church as long as you are getting paid.. [/size]
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by DamselQueen: 9:35am On Apr 16, 2015
End time tin
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by sunsewa: 9:35am On Apr 16, 2015
[quote author=italo post=32545492]

You see? This is what happens when "Catholics" don't actively practise their faith.

They become like balloons that can be blown by any wind to any corner.

No actively practising Catholic will even contemplate this.

I for one would die of starvation before I do this.
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by KingTom(m): 9:36am On Apr 16, 2015
Chukaholic:

Hmm, bro are you usually like this(commenting without reading a post)? Or you just don't find his post interesting to read through? The post says its the brother not the friend.
But the topic says "My employer" meaning he is the one! I don't know why we can't be honest with ourselves.
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Mandu94: 9:39am On Apr 16, 2015
CrazyMan:

Its much better to be an unemployed free man than to be a slave. This is the 21st century in case you're not aware, slave trade has been abolished so no one boss or not has the right to force anybody to do things against his will, issue threats and go on to carry out those threats should you decide not to give into slavery.

I read a thread on this section few weeks ago where a guy lost his job simply because he refused to carry his boss handbag. He knew that bag carrying wasn't part of the job description, so he stood his ground and refused to become someone's errand boy. How much more your friend, whom his boss has practically turned to a slave...tell him to stand his ground.

Yes we all need jobs, but jobs shouldn't cost us our freedom. I cannot work in any organisation where my rights as a human is constantly being violated.

Although you state the truth, slavery still continues today. Whether through free labour, exploitation, sex and other such things.

There are many problems where bosses exploit their employees e.g making female staff sleep with them to sustain their jobs or get a promotion. (or women feel obliged to do so)
There is a significant problem surrounding exploitation and mistreatment. It is not easy to just find another job, but easy to say the man should leave his job. For example what if you have worked in the company for many years or have to support a family which relies on that person greatly. This means such people are highly likely to succumb to exploitation. Looking at Nigeria statistics there is widespread poverty.

In my opinion there should be a regulatory body in Nigeria which deals with such cases and sues the man who forces his employee to attend his church. This money should be used to pay the man regardless of whether he is sacked or not until he finds a job.

In reality there is a lot of bribery in the country and corruption is a large issue, therefore the media needs to have a name and shame approach to such organisations and employers. This will be a deterrence, but also the importance of employee right should be foremost and they should feel their concerns are taken very seriously.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by jamillion: 9:41am On Apr 16, 2015
People indirectly worshiping lucifer in d name employment
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by VickyRotex(f): 9:43am On Apr 16, 2015
CrazyMan:

Its much better to be an unemployed free man than to be a slave. This is the 21st century in case you're not aware, slave trade has been abolished so no one boss or not has the right to force anybody to do things against his will, issue threats and go on to carry out those threats should you decide not to give into slavery.

I read a thread on this section few weeks ago where a guy lost his job simply because he refused to carry his boss handbag. He knew that bag carrying wasn't part of the job description, so he stood his ground and refused to become someone's errand boy. How much more your friend, whom his boss has practically turned to a slave...tell him to stand his ground.

Yes we all need jobs, but jobs shouldn't cost us our freedom. I cannot work in any organisation where my rights as a human is constantly being violated.

Nice one!!!

Op, exactly my advice for your brother...

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Ameboperoo(m): 9:43am On Apr 16, 2015
Octaves:
it appears both
I don't mean to be sarcastic.
If he's working for a church, then he should be ready to go by the rules and regulations of the church. For example, if he's the church accountant or organist whose salary is paid by the church, why would he expect less?
But on the contrary, if he works for the man, then he (the employer) has no business with him going to any church. He can even decide not to be going to any church. It's none of the employers business!
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by kushsy: 9:45am On Apr 16, 2015
They are collecting part of the money back to the family weather you like if or not..that's Bullshit
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Wislet(f): 9:49am On Apr 16, 2015
I HAVE ONLY ONE ADVICE FOR THE OP........

QUIT YOUR JOB.

That is slavery.

Any self-respecting person would have quit long ago. Don't go the 'will I get another job' angle.

Nigeria is full of opportunities. It is people who have no drive or 'sight' that wait/beg for another man to give him a job. Some are even ready to become slaves all in a bid to answer 'employed'.

Apply for job elsewhere(more than 4 places) or better still learn a skill you're passionate about and start your own business.

Forcing a person to take communion, deducting your salary, forced donations, attending compulsory 'service' etc. My dear, if none of these things sound strange to you, what about forced communion??

Be very careful. Very very careful. Beware. Beware. Don't be linked stupidly to what you know nothing about because of greed.

No true child of God filled with the holy spirit will do that.

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Mandu94: 9:54am On Apr 16, 2015
Mandu94:

Although you state the truth, slavery still continues today. Whether through free labour, exploitation, sex and other such things.

There are many problems where bosses exploit their employees e.g making female staff sleep with them to sustain their jobs or get a promotion. (or women feel obliged to do so)
There is a significant problem surrounding exploitation and mistreatment. It is not easy to just find another job, but easy to say the man should leave his job. For example what if you have worked in the company for many years or have to support a family which relies on that person greatly. This means such people are highly likely to succumb to exploitation. Looking at Nigeria statistics there is widespread poverty.

In my opinion there should be a regulatory body in Nigeria which deals with such cases and sues the man who forces his employer to attend his church. This money should be used to pay the man regardless of whether he is sacked or not until he finds a job.

In reality there is a lot of bribery in the country and corruption is a large issue, therefore the media needs to have a name and shame approach to such organisations and employers. This will be a deterrence, but also the importance of employee right should be foremost and they should feel their concerns are taken very seriously.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Wislet(f): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2015
jamillion:
People indirectly worshiping lucifer in d name employment
agreeing to be a slave and do something you know is ungodly because of money/job is a form of devil worship. THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.
johnydon22:
[size=20] Thats no big deal, go to the church as long as you are getting paid.. [/size]
some people have already lost themselves and can sell their souls for paper.
After all, money is paper.
Your soul...that you cannot buy.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by sunsewa: 9:55am On Apr 16, 2015
there is no two ways abt it,either u work wt d condition,while searching 4 another job which i wil prefer or u quit and face starvation,even if u don't have children,d condition can be sacrificed knowing it is not forever.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Octaves(m): 9:56am On Apr 16, 2015
Mmh! The employer has made it his business to come to his church.
Ameboperoo:

I don't mean to be sarcastic.
If he's working for a church, then he should be ready to go by the rules and regulations of the church. For example, if he's the church accountant or organist whose salary is paid by the church, why would he expect less?
But on the contrary, if he works for the man, then he (the employer) has no business with him going to any church. He can even decide not to be going to any church. It's none of the employers business!
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Mandu94: 9:59am On Apr 16, 2015
Wislet:
agreeing to be a slave and do something you know is ungodly because of money/job is a form of devil worship. THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.
Wislet:

I'm afraid to say, you do not know his priorities, people need money to support themselves, so being maltreated is not a form of devil worship. ? The employer is behaving ungodly its not the employee. Such mentality is very backwards for today.
Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 16, 2015
Your boss is a slave-driver. If I were you,I will follow my belief. Don't be afraid of losing your job because with a boss like your boss,you don't have a job and you are only on a temporary employment.

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Ganjafama(m): 10:01am On Apr 16, 2015
italo:

You see? This is what happens when "Catholics" don't actively practise their faith.

They become like balloons that can be blown by any wind to any corner.

No actively practising Catholic will even contemplate this.

I for one would die of starvation before I do this.
Have you ever gone without food for 3 days due to hardship? If you have, you won't make this statement. Meanwhile, @Op abeg how do I apply for a job in the company? Even if na to join the church sef I go do am. Shebi na God dem dey serve dia?

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by ZahraBuhari(f): 10:09am On Apr 16, 2015
Octaves:
I get what you're saying. It's like he's there with one leg in one leg out. He's keenly looking for another job. Hopefully he will quit soon.

Whenever he quits he should endeavour to call the employer, his wife pastor, and all the other slave co-workers ALL into a room for a special announcement.

Then he tells them:

I quit!
And it would be nice I tell you this-
FVCK YOU (points at employer), UR WIFE, AND UR PRIMARY SCHOOL ASSEMBLY U CALL CHURCH. ALSO, FVCK THE BREAD U VE BEEN GIVING ME IN UR CHURCH WHICH HAS BEEN GIVING ME STOMACH ACHE.

WE WILL SEE IN COURT"

Then you slam the door and leave like a boss

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by Arysexy(m): 10:09am On Apr 16, 2015
Octaves:
He's agreed to stop receiving communion and see what the employee will do. Thanks

Since ur family are staunch Catholics, tell ur brother to go meet ur parish priest during Paris office hour n explain his predicament.

Believe me, ur brother will get work within two weeks.

Just a call from d priest to well to do church members that own companies will help ur brother.

Meanwhile ask him to join church prayer groups, they help each other with vacancies.

He must discontinue receiving what He does not believe in.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Wants Me To Come To His Church Or Be Fired (advice) by maryhaam(f): 10:09am On Apr 16, 2015
U better join choir,are u a learner

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Government Is Now Regulating IT Professionals!! See Photo / INEC Portal For The Engagement Of Election Staff Now Open (All You Need to Know) / 4.58million Nigerians Became Jobless In Buhari's Administation - NBS Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.