Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,080 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) (2065 Views)

Php Gurus Help Me Out: What Is Wrong With My Code?? / Please Help Me Look At My Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 1:36am On Apr 10, 2015
hi
i started learning programming two weeks ago. being practicing coding since then.
i wrote a program to calculate gpa, but my program don't execute well despite my compilers (c-free and dev c++) not dictating any bug.
please take a look at my code and help me out.
it does not include 'credit unit' while calculating.
it's a c program:

/*A c programe to calculate GPA*/
1.#include<stdio.h>
2.int main()
3.{
4. char grade;//declares the variable "grade" of type char
5. float gpa;//declares the variable "gpa" of type floating point
6. gpa=0;//initialize the value to zero
7. int sum;//declares the variable "sum" 0f type integer
8. sum=0;//initialize the value to zero
9. int n;//declares the variable "n" 0f type integer
10. printf("enter number of courses:\n"wink;//prompts user to enter number of courses
11. scanf("%d",&n);//collects the number and stores it in th variable 'n'
12. int a[n];//declares an array of n-elements
13. int i;//declares a counter
14. i=0;//initialize the counter
15. do //commence a loop with do...while
16. {
17. int y;//declares a variable 'y'
18. y=a[i];//stores the array in the variable 'y'
19. printf("enter course%d grade:units \n",i+1);//prompts user to enter course grade and credit units
20. scanf("%c\t%d",&grade,&a[i]);//stores the grade in the variable 'c' and units in the array 'a'
21. switch(grade)//commence a switch...case mode to test and assign grades
/*this multiplies the grade and unit for each entry and adds them up*/
22. {
23. case 'A':
24. sum=sum+y*5;
25. break;
26. case 'B':
27. sum=sum+y*4;
28. break;
29. case 'C':
30. sum=sum+y*3;
31. break;
32. case 'D':
33. sum=sum+y*2;
34. break;
35. case 'E':
36. sum=sum+y*1;
37. break;
38. }
39. i++;
40. }
41. while (i<n);//loop terminates when all courses are entered
42. gpa=sum/n;//this calculates the GPA using the formula 'GPA=total score/total credit units
43. printf("total credit unit is %d\n total score is %d\n",n,sum);//this displays the total units and the total score
44. printf("GPA=%f\n",gpa);//this displays the GPA
45. return 0;
46.}/*program written by Patrick*/

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Kofacts(m): 2:12pm On Apr 10, 2015
What error does it show ?
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by aerodee(m): 2:37pm On Apr 10, 2015
Line 10, the smiley ; ) , it should be ) ;
line 17, all initialization in C comes in the beginning of the main()
you may want to put default in your switch for ppl that enter grade outside the range allowed. etc

Abeg I don tire, I need water grin
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 2:54pm On Apr 10, 2015
Kofacts:
What error does it show ?
it does'nt show any error;
i hope these images will help u understand my problem

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 2:57pm On Apr 10, 2015
aerodee:
Line 10, the smiley ; ) , it should be ) ;
line 17, all initialization in C comes in the beginning of the main()
you may want to put default in your switch for ppl that enter grade outside the range allowed. etc

Abeg I don tire, I need water grin
tnx
baba i get one tanker of water

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by tjones007: 11:37pm On Apr 10, 2015
Why stuck the code with irrelevant comments.

While comments are good and best thing to be in a code. It should be used explain what can be understood.

Comments are good. Don't get me wrong.
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 11:56pm On Apr 10, 2015
tjones007:
Why stuck the code with irrelevant comments.

While comments are good and best thing to be in a code. It should be used explain what can be understood.

Comments are good. Don't get me wrong.
noted sir.
I'm really a newbie in programming.
just wanted u guys to understand my algorithm.
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 13, 2015
Pato5:
hi
i started learning programming two weeks ago. being practicing coding since then.
i wrote a program to calculate gpa, but my program don't execute well despite my compilers (c-free and dev c++) not dictating any bug.
please take a look at my code and help me out.
it does not include 'credit unit' while calculating.
it's a c program:

/*A c programe to calculate GPA*/
1.#include<stdio.h>
2.int main()
3.{
4. char grade;//declares the variable "grade" of type char
7. int sum;//declares the variable "sum" 0f type integer
8. sum=0;//initialize the value to zero
9. int n;//declares the variable "n" 0f type integer
10. printf("enter number of courses:\n"wink;//prompts user to enter number of courses
11. scanf("%d",&n);//collects the number and stores it in th variable 'n'
12. int a[n];//declares an array of n-elements
13. int i;//declares a counter
14. i=0;//initialize the counter
15. do //commence a loop with do...while
16. {
17. int y;//declares a variable 'y'
18. y=a[i];//stores the array in the variable 'y'
19. printf("enter course%d grade:units \n",i+1);//prompts user to enter course grade and credit units
20. scanf("%c\t%d",&grade,&a[i]);//stores the grade in the variable 'c' and units in the array 'a'
21. switch(grade)//commence a switch...case mode to test and assign grades
/*this multiplies the grade and unit for each entry and adds them up*/
22. {
23. case 'A':
24. sum=sum+y*5;
25. break;
26. case 'B':
27. sum=sum+y*4;
28. break;
29. case 'C':
30. sum=sum+y*3;
31. break;
32. case 'D':
33. sum=sum+y*2;
34. break;
35. case 'E':
36. sum=sum+y*1;
37. break;
38. }
39. i++;
40. }
41. while (i<n);//loop terminates when all courses are entered
42. gpa=sum/n;//this calculates the GPA using the formula 'GPA=total score/total credit units
43. printf("total credit unit is %d\n total score is %d\n",n,sum);//this displays the total units and the total score
44. printf("GPA=%f\n",gpa);//this displays the GPA
45. return 0;
46.}/*program written by Patrick*/
No cout; or cin in 33 to 37 rewrite it again and u end the program with a comment instead of}
You the comment at the heading should be like this 1. /*
2. * c program to calculate GPA (Gpa.cpp)
3 */
22, 38, and 40 is invalid
After #include <stdo> h // needed to perform IO operations
Put
using namespace std; // Also needed for <string>
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 1:33pm On Apr 13, 2015
proxy23:

No cout; or cin in 33 to 37 rewrite it again and u end the program with a comment instead of}
You the comment at the heading should be like this 1. /*
2. * c program to calculate GPA (Gpa.cpp)
3 */
22, 38, and 40 is invalid
After #include <stdo> h // needed to perform IO operations
Put
using namespace std; // Also needed for <string>
it's a c program not c++.
i thought "cout,std" are c++ syntax
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by kudaisi(m): 7:14pm On Apr 13, 2015
This should solve the course unit not showing problem. Add a space before %c in scanf. This will allow scanf to skip any number of white spaces before reading choice
so this
will become
printf("enter grade for course%d \n",i+1);
scanf(" %c",&grade);
printf("enter units for course%d \n",i+1);
scanf(" %d",&a[i]);
NOTE THE SPACES in scanf statements

Another observation is that line 17 and 18 are totally unnecessary. Since you can simply use variable a[i] in the switch cases line 24 for example will be
sum=sum+a[i]*5; instead of sum=sum+y*5;
Finally, you are likely not to get the correct GPA output you want because you divided the total sum grades by the number of courses (variable n) rather than the sum of all course units in array a[] to get the GPA on line 42
gpa=sum/n;
should be
int x;
int total_points;
for (x = 0; x < n; x++){
total_points = total_points + a[i];
}

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 11:49pm On Apr 13, 2015
kudaisi:
This should solve the course unit not showing problem. Add a space before %c in scanf. This will allow scanf to skip any number of white spaces before reading choice
so this
will become
printf("enter grade for course%d \n",i+1);
scanf(" %c",&grade);
printf("enter units for course%d \n",i+1);
scanf(" %d",&a[i]);
NOTE THE SPACES in scanf statements

Another observation that line 17 and 18 are totally unnecessary. Since you can simple use a[i] in the switch cases line 24 for example will be
sum=sum+a[i]*5; instead of sum=sum+y*5;

Finally, you not get the output GPA you want because you divided the total sum by the number of course (n) rather than the sum of all unit in array a[] to get the GPA on line 42
gpa=sum/n;
should be

int x;
int total_points;
for (x = 0; x < n; x++){
total_points = total_points + a[i];
}
Tnx a lot sir.
I will effect the correction
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by kudaisi(m): 11:53pm On Apr 13, 2015
Pato5:

Tnx a lot sir.
I will effect the correction
You are welcome, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 12:38am On Apr 14, 2015
kudaisi:
You are welcome, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
It worked.
Pls can a function contain different variable data types i.e a float and integer in the same function?
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by kudaisi(m): 12:54am On Apr 14, 2015
yes. it can.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 12:58am On Apr 14, 2015
#include<stdio.h>
#include<math.h>
int main()
{
double unit;
float gpa;
gpa=0;
float sum;
sum=0;
int n;
printf("enter number of courses:\n"wink;
scanf("%d",&n);
char grade[n];
int a[n];
int i;
for (i=0;i<n;i++)
{
printf("enter course%d grade|unit\n",i+1);
scanf(" %c %ld",&grade[i],&a[i]);
switch(grade[i])
{
case 'A':
sum=sum+5*a[i];
break;
case 'B':
sum=sum+4*a[i];
break;
case 'C':
sum=sum+3*a[i];
break;
case 'D':
sum=sum+2*a[i];
break;
case 'E':
sum=sum+1*a[i];
break;
default:
printf("invalid entry\n"wink;
break;
}
unit=unit+a[i];
}
gpa=sum/unit;
printf("s/n. grade|units\n"wink;
for (i=0;i<n;i++)
{
printf("%d.%c|%d\n",i+1,grade[i],a[i]);
}
printf("total credit unit is %lf\ntotal score is %f\n",unit,sum);
printf("GPA=%f\n",gpa);
return 0;
}

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by kudaisi(m): 1:37am On Apr 14, 2015
Bad Guy. wink
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 6:54am On Apr 14, 2015
kudaisi:
Bad Guy. wink
#include<studio.h>
Int main(void)
{
/*My main target is to delve in embedded systems ( I'm an EE student).
The prerequisite for embedded systems design/programming is c or asm.
Programming can be boring especially when self tutorial.
The only joy is when u are producing results*/
printf("Once again thanks for your help\n"wink;
return 0;
}
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 14, 2015
Pato5:

#include<studio.h>
Int main(void)
{
/*My main target is to delve in embedded systems ( I'm an EE student).
The prerequisite for embedded systems design/programming is c or asm.
Programming can be boring especially when self tutorial.
The only joy is when u are producing results*/
printf("Once again thanks for your help\n"wink;
return 0;
}
I hope to see the gpa app. Use. Mosyn sdk to run the code

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 4:02pm On Apr 14, 2015
proxy23:

I hope to see the gpa app. Use. Mosyn sdk to run the code
i will download it and see if i can grasp Software Development.
will update my progress
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Singapore1(m): 11:38am On Apr 16, 2015
Pato5:

i will download it and see if i can grasp Software Development.
will update my progress
my opinion though
why dont you add

if ( GPA>= 2.80)
printf(" UPPER CREDIT"wink
bla bla bla like that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 12:47pm On Apr 16, 2015
Singapore1:
my opinion though
why dont you add

if ( GPA>= 2.80)
printf(" UPPER CREDIT"wink
bla bla bla like that
ok
i will add that... it's gonna be cool
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Booyakasha(f): 1:17pm On Apr 16, 2015
Guys, join Gdevit.com great spot for web developers and programmers...
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by nerdyorion: 3:03pm On Apr 16, 2015
An IT/Software company in Lagos which specializes in developing web and mobile applications desires to employ fresh graduates (Awaiting NYSC, Serving or recently

completed NYSC) to fill available vacancies.

- Strong knowledge of IT, preferably a background in computer science, engineering or other relevant disciplines
- Must have basic programming knowledge and be ready to learn e.g. .NET, SQL Server, Mobile App Development
- Must be intelligent, self-disciplined, confident and ready to work
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Must not be above 28 years

Interested candidates should kindly send CV to info@mobilixe.com on or before Tuesday 21th of April 2015.
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by Pato5(m): 4:40pm On Apr 16, 2015
nerdyorion:
An IT/Software company in Lagos which specializes in developing web and mobile applications desires to employ fresh graduates (Awaiting NYSC, Serving or recently

completed NYSC) to fill available vacancies.

- Strong knowledge of IT, preferably a background in computer science, engineering or other relevant disciplines
- Must have basic programming knowledge and be ready to learn e.g. .NET, SQL Server, Mobile App Development
- Must be intelligent, self-disciplined, confident and ready to work
- Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
- Must not be above 28 years

Interested candidates should kindly send CV to info@mobilixe.com on or before Tuesday 21th of April 2015.
Please what of one year internship for a computer science student?
Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by danvery2k6(m): 2:26am On Apr 20, 2015
Pato5:

this might work fine for you at this point because you are working with a program that does not require a high degree of accuracy. avoid declaring a variable as a float and then initializing it with an int if you do indeed delve into embedded systems like you propose to. it could produce rickety software

my 1cent

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Check Whats Wrong With My Code(c Language) by kudaisi(m): 2:22pm On Apr 20, 2015
Just posted a Java GUI version of your GPA calculator https://www.nairaland.com/2264399/urgently-need-assistant-java-gui

(1) (Reply)

*New Video: Data Types and Data Structures in Python [Tutorials] / Who Has Ever Accessed The Dark Web Or Deep Web Share Your Experience / Java Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.