Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? (1277 Views)

8 Ways To Keep Your Blog Contents Alway Fresh / I Need Forum Website Like This / I Need A Forum Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Jetland(m): 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2015
this may sound foolish, but please accept my foolishness and give your candid advice.
Am into CMS and I want to build a forum website with some features and categories like Naira land, but I don't have the clue on how to achieve that. I have just installed phpbb script and I wonder how I can loading it up with information on different categories.
It is obvious that when some just built a website, he/she needs to be updating the website by him/herself before people will join because of the information therein.
Now my question s are these: Is right for me to be doing copy and past for my forum? sometimes, I use to see some useful information here on Nairaland; but does it make sense to copy and past it on my forum?
please accept my foolish statement.

please mod, help me move this to front page for wilder contribution.
Thanks. .
Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 12, 2015
I will advise you not to copy and paste from Nairaland to your forum. Once you start it, your forum is halfway dead, why would I visit your forum if everything on it is already in Nairaland?
Starting a forum and growing it to an active one is and uphill task, sadly, most forums die it it's earlier stage.
On your content question, here is my answer;
What do you know you felt others will appreciate which can't hardly be found elsewhere? Do you know how to sing? Millions of people are searching on how to sing why not post it.
Are you a bicycle repairer? Why not post the tutorial on your forum. Once you start with this principles, you will surely get users who will not only visit your forum but will like to participate.
On the design pattern, yeah it's good not look like Nairaland but don't look exactly like Nairaland, unique is prestigious.
Here is how to map out your forum.
Start with Content, a unique and appealing content.
Look for traffic.
Convert your traffic to active users.
Watch your forum grown.
Seriously, these tips are easier said than done especially if you are as busy as I am. Like you, I opened a new , feel free to take look @ http://sajforum.com
It's a new forum so don't you dare compare it with Nairaland.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Craigston: 7:27pm On Apr 12, 2015
Nairaland is already a good forum. There's no need to make something like nairaland again. You can make it different.
Hint: Identify the weak sections of nairaland. These sections reflect the things we are either disinterested in or not getting the best of. Research more and do something unique.

1 Like

Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 12, 2015
Craigston:
Nairaland is already a good forum. There's no need to make something like nairaland again. You can make it different.
Hint: Identify the weak sections of nairaland. These sections reflect the things we are either disinterested in or not getting the best of. Research more and do something unique.

This is not to discard your idea but I don't think forums work like that. With blogging platform you may achieve it but I doubt you can do it with forums. Honestly, I will advise the opposite. Here is why -
Forums/Social networks work with trend.
Facebook became so popular because they exploited the pathway already created by Yahoo360, MySpace and one other popular social networks, I have forgotten their name. MySpace was one of the most visited website on the Internet before Facebook was launched. Facebook destroyed MySpace.
Let me come home, Naijahotjobs, another Nigerian forum that gave Nairaland a run for his money when Nairaland's jobs section was one of the most active section of the site, they also followed YahooHotJobs which was a very great website then, I think they got their name from there.
Nairaland was introduced when naijaryders was a great Nigerian forum, I think Seun did something a bit different, I also think Seun get the name of Nairaland from Biafra land which was then one of the most popular websites in Nigeria. I remember buying time in IMSU cybercafe just to surf Biafra land, that was around 2003.
Why am I saying all these, forums thrives on interest and trend. You can create a forum from any weak board here in Nairaland and may get traffic but it will likely be inactive, once a forum is inactive, it's a countdown to the grave.
Practical example ;
Example 1.
A very weak board here in Nairaland is Job/Vacancies, create a forum about it and do your magic let's see how it goes.
Example 2.
The most active board here is Politics, look around it and ask yourself, what can I do, do it. Wait for the result.
Feel free to apply the two examples above if you have the time, unfortunately, I don't.
Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Jetland(m): 10:01pm On Apr 12, 2015
JN1:

This is not to discard your idea but I don't think forums work like that. With blogging platform you may achieve it but I doubt you can do it with forums. Honestly, I will advise the opposite. Here is why -
Forums/Social networks work with trend.
Facebook became so popular because they exploited the pathway already created by Yahoo360, MySpace and one other popular social networks, I have forgotten their name. MySpace was one of the most visited website on the Internet before Facebook was launched. Facebook destroyed MySpace.
Let me come home, Naijahotjobs, another Nigerian forum that gave Nairaland a run for his money when Nairaland's jobs section was one of the most active section of the site, they also followed YahooHotJobs which was a very great website then, I think they got their name from there.
Nairaland was introduced when naijaryders was a great Nigerian forum, I think Seun did something a bit different, I also think Seun get the name of Nairaland from Biafraland which was then one of the most popular websites in Nigeria. I remember buying time in IMSU cybercafe just to surf Biafraland, that was around 2003.
Why am I saying all these, forums thrives on interest and trend. You can create a forum from any weak board here in Nairaland and may get traffic but it will likely be inactive, once a forum is inactive, it's a countdown to the grave.
Practical example ;
Example 1.
A very weak board here in Nairaland is Job/Vacancies, create a forum about it and do your magic let's see how it goes.
Example 2.
The most active board here is Politics, look around it and ask yourself, what can I do, do it. Wait for the result.
Feel free to apply the two examples above if you have the time, unfortunately, I don't.
In fact, your advice is exceptional. I really do appreciate.
Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Jetland(m): 10:03pm On Apr 12, 2015
Craigston:
Thanks for your comment bros.
Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Hazardd(m): 5:34am On Apr 27, 2015
JN1:
I will advise you not to copy and paste from Nairaland to your forum. Once you start it, your forum is halfway dead, why would I visit your forum if everything on it is already in Nairaland?
Starting a forum and growing it to an active one is and uphill task, sadly, most forums die it it's earlier stage.
On your content question, here is my answer;
What do you know you felt others will appreciate which can't hardly be found elsewhere? Do you know how to sing? Millions of people are searching on how to sing why not post it.
Are you a bicycle repairer? Why not post the tutorial on your forum. Once you start with this principles, you will surely get users who will not only visit your forum but will like to participate.
On the design pattern, yeah it's good not look like Nairaland but don't look exactly like Nairaland, unique is prestigious.
Here is how to map out your forum.
Start with Content, a unique and appealing content.
Look for traffic.
Convert your traffic to active users.
Watch your forum grown.
Seriously, these tips are easier said than done especially if you are as busy as I am. Like you, I opened a new , feel free to take look @ http://sajforum.com
Thanks.
i like your forum background, where did you create it?
Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Nobody: 8:05am On Apr 27, 2015
Oh you want to be like naija finder dot com anyway you will get yahoo answers and any forum you want wich has rss enabled even blogs with these phpbb mods.

Bots will pull thousands of posts and post them for you under custom names with consecutive replies
note: you might face legal action, takedown requests etc

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1965465

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=130271
Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by 100ksalescom(m): 11:10am On Apr 27, 2015
JN1:

Thanks.

Nice looking forum you got there.
Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 27, 2015
Hazardd:

i like your forum background, where did you create it?

Running on Mybb Forum script, I added the background Image on the style.css

100ksalescom:

Nice looking forum you got there.

Thanks, not much content though.
Re: Advice: How Can I Load My New Forum Website With Useful Contents? by Hazardd(m): 6:04am On Apr 28, 2015
JN1:

Running on Mybb Forum script, I added the background Image on the style.css

Thanks, not much content though.
ok, nics
which site did you use to create your background image

(1) (Reply)

How To Increased Your Blog Traffic By 40% Using Instagram [revealed] / Click Here If You Want A Peer To Peer Donation Website / Who Can Get Me A .org Domain For The Cheapest Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.