Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,752 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas (2774 Views)

Benefits Of GIS To Surveyors / Geographic Information System(gis) In Kaduna / Urgent: What Is The Prospect Of GIS In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by dayoson0204(m): 2:16pm On Apr 13, 2015
Why should we use GIS? This is probably the question we hear most often in our discussions with our petroleum clients. And it’s not just from those oil and gas companies who have yet to embrace GIS - we sometimes hear this from companies that have already invested considerably in supporting technology and projects, but feel they don’t still properly understand the reasons for doing so.
So, in no particular order, here are my top 10 uses of GIS in oil and gas.

1. Data index maps - One of the most common uses of GIS in the petroleum sector is in delivering easy-to-use digital maps that enable oil company staff to see what data is available to them, so that they can drastically reduce the amount of time they spend looking for the information they need to do their work. Often such maps are delivered using web-based GIS applications that require little or no training to use, and show all data of interest side-by-side in a single interface.

2. Block ranking - Ranking opportunities via quantitative analysis using all available information require data integration on a massive scale, and so it is usually seen as too time consuming to carry out on a regular basis. However, GIS provides the perfect environment in which to rapidly evaluate and grade oil and gas licenses or lease blocks. It provides a unique way of mining large quantities of different types of data in order to help make a decision, and many companies employing GIS for this analysis believe that it gives them a competitive edge in license acquisition.

3. Land management - The way GIS stores information as attributes allows a ‘land man’ to map key lease data such as lessor names, lease expiry dates, working interests (WI), overriding royalty (OR), overriding royalty interest (ORRI), net revenue interest (NRI) and gross/net acreages. Meanwhile centralising all land management data in an enterprise GIS environment helps enormously when generating the reports that are requirement by regulators.

4. Well planning - GIS is being used increasingly for well planning, particularly with the rise of unconventional resources such as shale gas, shale oil and coal bed methane. Not only can GIS be used to plan well pad patterns around multiple surface drilling constraints, but its unique spatial analytics can be used to optimise drilling patterns to calculate the most efficient drilling configuration.

5. Field operations - An emerging use of GIS is in using flying sensor technology to gather on-demand high resolution imagery across a field location in order to survey a site. This allows companies to regularly monitor sites and to identify and manage change, without having to commission expensive satellite data capture.

6. Environmental monitoring – Given the current focus on shale play development, it is essential that companies are able to accurately monitor environmental changes associated with operations. GIS is invaluable in this regard, able to integrate and visualise time stamped data against a base lined case, e.g. using regularly updated DEMs to help detect subsidence caused by extraction of the resources.

7. Pipeline routing – Building pipelines to carry petroleum products is capital-intensive, so determining the optimum route is critical. This is a non-trivial task that can be significantly simplified through the use of ‘least-cost path analysis’ – a process that identifies the route of least resistance between a source point and destination, based on the effort required to pass through cells in one or more cost raster datasets, such as slope (based on a DEM) and land-cover. Studies have shown that GIS-based least cost path analysis can produce more environmentally friendly routes, as well as reducing costs by up to 15%.

8. Vessel tracking - GIS can be useful for tracking valuable assets, especially those that are mobile, such as vehicles and boats. Knowing the precise location of vehicles and vessels is essential for the timely delivery of goods and services, as well as for efficient emergency response.

9. Emergency response - GIS is becoming increasingly important in response to emergencies such as oil spills and gas explosions, both in mitigation planning and response management. Data loaded into a GIS can be made available to all stakeholders regardless of their physical location (e.g. to workers in the field on mobile devices), and even to the public. This leads to better decision making during emergency response situations, and improved public relations.

10. Pipeline monitoring - Pipelines need to be continually monitored to check for leaks and geo-hazards, and to manage and track inspections, the frequency of which is often a regulatory requirement. An emerging use of GIS is in integrating the map with digital video, often acquired using remote vehicles on the seabed, enabling engineers to see sections of pipeline and monitor hazards affecting the installation.

Source:www.exprodat.com/blogs/blog_Top-10-Reasons-to-Use-GIS-in-Oil-and-Gas-.htm

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by adelabs: 2:04pm On Nov 10, 2015
What tools are you using to do this?
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by handsespen: 10:51am On Dec 04, 2017
The Subsurface Maps and their Applications in the Oil Industry

Subsurface maps are perhaps the most important vehicle used to explore for undiscovered hydrocarbons and to develop proven hydrocarbon reserves. However, the subject of subsurface mapping is probably the least discussed of interpretation and the construction of structure/Isopach maps, yet most important aspect of petroleum exploration and development...

http://www.scharticles.com/the-subsurface-maps-and-their-applications-in-the-oil-industry/
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 4:38pm On Nov 25, 2019
For your GIS training in different GIS softwares such as ArcGIS, smart GIS editor, Idrisi TerrSet, Surfer, TCX converter and analysisin Ibadan, call me on 08132742728.
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 5:10pm On May 05, 2020
My work.I'm a GIS (Geographic information system analyst). I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 3:54pm On Aug 15, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index).etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 3:04pm On Sep 15, 2020
Learn different aspect In GIS.u will have the opportunity to be trained on different GIS softwares such as ARCGIS,QGIS,Surfer,Global mapper,Smart GIS editor and Idrisi Terrset.
Training areas:
Introduction to GIS (course work)
Georeferencing
Digitizing
How to download ur data
How to input ur data into excel
How to link ur data into Arcgis and Qgis environment
Introduction to Google earth
Network analysis (service area,cost matrix and location allocation )
Hotspot analysis (heatmap)
Terrain analysis
Contour creation
Stream extraction
Vector and raster analysis
Image classification
NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index
Get d best in CENTER FOR GEOSPATIAL SCIENCE AND 3D GRAPHICS DESIGN LTD.
There will be certificate at d end of ur training..........
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 11:04am On Oct 09, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 3:11pm On Nov 06, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,Map puzzle and surfer.Analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast, how to publish a web map, etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065 or 07089382284. Geospatial Science Enterprise (Fully at ur service)
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 8:32am On Nov 09, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.thanks and God bless.
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by akin1991: 10:35pm On Nov 18, 2020
I'm a GIS (Geographic information system) analyst. I train people on different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.physical training 20k and online training 7k
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by akin1991: 3:20pm On Nov 26, 2020
For ur training in different GIS software's such as Arcgis,Qgis,idrisi terrset,Google earth,smartGIs editor,Global mapper,snap and surfer.analysis performed are image classification,creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps,thematic maps(population map,election map etc),NDVI(normalized difference vegetation index),NDWI,time mapping,Geocoding,land cover forecast.etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.online training 7k, physical training 20k

Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by akin1991: 2:30pm On Dec 03, 2020
For ur training in different GIS software's such as Arcgis, Qgis, idrisi terrset, Google earth, smartGIs editor, Global mapper and surfer. Analysis performed Include image classification, creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps, thematic maps(population map, election map etc), NDVI, NDWI, time mapping, Geocoding, land cover forecast. etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.online training 7k, physical training now 40k......Location, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State.
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 2:59pm On Dec 10, 2020
For ur training in different GIS software's such as Arcgis, Qgis, idrisi terrset, Google earth, smartGIs editor, Global mapper and surfer. Analysis performed Include image classification, creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps, thematic maps(population map, election map etc), NDVI, NDWI, time mapping, Geocoding, land cover forecast. etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.online training 7k, physical training now 40k.
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by akin1991: 2:24pm On Dec 22, 2020
For ur training in different GIS software's such as Arcgis, Qgis, idrisi terrset, Google earth, smartGIs editor, Global mapper and surfer. Analysis performed Include image classification, creation of elevation map (contour),location allocation analysis, service area analysis, study area maps, thematic maps(population map, election map etc), NDVI, NDWI, time mapping, Geocoding, land cover forecast. etc.Any interested person should contact me on dis no 08106244065.online training 7k, physical training now 40k.
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 8:33pm On Jan 04, 2021
A GIS online training which runs for 7k now for as low as 2k.this runs from January 4 to January ending...join d WhatsApp link below to join d group where d training will hold.
Follow this link to join my WhatsApp group: https:///GLuk3xOWvq9GoyEi6cPfp0

Or call me on 08106244065 to add u up to the WhatsApp group
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by akin1991: 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2021
A GIS online training which runs for 7k now for as low as 2k.this runs from January 4 to January ending...join d WhatsApp link below to join d group where d training will hold.
Follow this link to join my WhatsApp group: https:///GLuk3xOWvq9GoyEi6cPfp0

Or call me on 08106244065 to add u up to the WhatsApp group
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by akin1991: 8:29am On Jan 08, 2021
Get d best GIS (Geographic information system) training..u will ive d opportunity to learn different things like NDWI(normalized difference water index),NDVI (Normalized difference vegetation index),Time mapping, 3d mapping, georeferencing,digitizing,Geocoding,watershed delineation, stream extraction, digitizing in google earth, image classification, land cover mapping, land change modeler and celulla automata/Markov chain for land cover forecast/prediction, creation of web map(Qgis2web),map publishing (Qgis cloud),preparation of data,buffering analysis, service area analysis, cost path,location allocation analysis, contour mapping etc..... U will also have d opportunity to use different GIS software's such as ArcGis,Qgis,surfer,idrisi terrset,Global mapper,smartGIS, SAS planet,map puzzle etc... Online training 7k, physical training 40k.call 08106244065
Re: Top 10 Uses Of GIS In Oil And Gas by emak1991: 3:11pm On Jan 26, 2021
GIS can be applied to various fields such as agriculture, hydrology, land cover projection, database management etc....learn d best GIS from Geospatial science enterprise....we offer both online training and physical training..... Software's to be taught include ArcGis, Qgis,Surfer, Idrisi Terrset and SAS planet...online training 12k, physical training 40k.....Get d best GIS training....call 08106244065

(1) (Reply)

` / Number Theory Forums, Mathematicians Only. / The Need To Change Nigeria's Education Trend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.