Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. (1894 Views)

I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting / Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! / We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. by Ch1z0(m): 12:17am On Apr 14, 2015
Hello my fellow nairalanders, how una dey? grin

I've been on for quite some time now and I've been enjoying visiting nairaland(can't stay without it for a day)

To the main business..

I'm an SS3 student currently writing my WAEC examination. I also wrote JAMB this year and scored a considerable mark, 231.

But then I have a problem with career choice.
I'm a science student with fairly good academic grades(I didn't struggle much to make excellent ones cos I'm Just not a fan of that).

During my JAMB registeration process, I opted for FUTO( Federal University of Technology Owerri) and Computer science as the course. It's not like I wanted to attend FUTO but I just had to put in something due to pressure from my parents to register early before the late entries.

The obvious fact is - I love computers, programming, design e.t.c. I have so much passion for them especially designing. But(there's always a but) most of my friends(both graduate and undergraduate) and my parents have been discouraging me from studying computer science. Reason being that it's not a lucrative course in Nigeria(I don't share the same opinion with them though but I don't have an idea on how to make it lucrative for me).

A friend of mine suggested to me that even if I finally want to go for a computer related course, I should go for computer engineering and not science. His reason - engineers are more appreciated in Nigeria than scientists. He also suggested I go for Electrical electronics or pure electronics engineering.

JAMB change of course and institution ends on 17th April(this month) embarassed

Please friends I really need your suggestions ASAP.

Also, I forgot to mention, I'm a little good in mathematics and also a further Maths student(don't confuse me to be math whizkid but I really know my ins and outs when it comes to maths).

Now with all my math skills, I really thought I'd fit in almost perfectly in the higher institution in computer science but it turns out that most of my friends studying computer science encounter very little mathematics(which is sometimes borrowed from Maths department).

So..

Should I still go for computer science or computer engineering(any one would do, really!) ?

What institutions in Nigeria have good ICT facilities and computer science prestige(even if I don't end up studying computer science I'll still be able to meet a lot of gurus) ?

All sorts of criticism is allowed - constructive, insultive, destructive(abeg if u dey plan to give this one that means u carry me for
mind enter this thread lipsrsealed)..

Thanks.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. by harrysterol(m): 5:46am On Apr 14, 2015
Computer engineering if there is any,looks fair n good
I wish u luck in ur quest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. by udo24(m): 8:44am On Apr 14, 2015
My advice is that you go for what you're good at - computer science. If you really like a subject, you should go for it. There is no guarantee that if you do the wishes of your parents, you will end up being successful in your career. We are now living in the digital age. Any course in computer technology will be in high demand in the future. Do not allow anybody to confuse you into doing a course of their chice. What you like is what really count.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. by KillerBeauty(f): 11:37am On Apr 14, 2015
Bro just stick with computer science since you are already interested in computer software design, programming and all that. I think that's what computer science majorly entails.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. by CrazyMan(m): 12:48pm On Apr 14, 2015
If you want to be successful in your chosen career path, you must not allow people (parents, friends...etc) influence your choice.

You and only you know what you're good at. So if Computer Science is your choice, then stand by it and give it your best when you get admitted.

Ch1z0:
The obvious fact is - I love computers, programming, design e.t.c. I have so much passion for them especially designing. But(there's always a but) most of my friends(both graduate and undergraduate) and my parents have been discouraging me from studying computer science. Reason being that it's not a lucrative course in Nigeria(I don't share the same opinion with them though but I don't have an idea on how to make it lucrative for me).
I disagree with your parents and friends opinion. Computer Science is one of the most lucrative courses in Nigeria...Its one of the few universities courses that can guarantee you employment on any field.

Secondly, as a computer scientist, you can choose to be self employed, you already stated in your post that you love programming and design...you can become a programmer, a web designer, a graphics designer...etc. You don't necessarily have to get employed before you start making money on that field.

Finally, you said your knowledge of mathematics is on the average. With that I'll say you're good to go cos Computer Science is 45% mathematics. With your knowledge in mathematics, you're definitely going to excel.

Good luck.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. by Ch1z0(m): 10:19am On Apr 16, 2015
So wat university do u suggest for me?
Re: Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. by CrazyMan(m): 12:11pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ch1z0:
So wat university do u suggest for me?
I'm in no position to suggest a university for you. However, you stated FUTO as your choice of institution in your original post.

Apart from spending 5 years in studying Computer Science which most universities offer as a 4 year course, FUTO is quite good.

And since the change of institution would close on the 17th (tomorrow) like you said, there's no need trying to force your way into another institution which probably lacks a computer lab and another basic amenities needed for you to excel in your chosen career path. I would therefore suggest that you stick with FUTO.

Good luck.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed On Career Choice, University And Course. by muawkabs3226(m): 4:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ch1z0:
Hello my fellow nairalanders, how una dey? grin

I've been on for quite some time now and I've been enjoying visiting nairaland(can't stay without it for a day)

To the main business..

I'm an SS3 student currently writing my WAEC examination. I also wrote JAMB this year and scored a considerable mark, 231.

But then I have a problem with career choice.
I'm a science student with fairly good academic grades(I didn't struggle much to make excellent ones cos I'm Just not a fan of that).

During my JAMB registeration process, I opted for FUTO( Federal University of Technology Owerri) and Computer science as the course. It's not like I wanted to attend FUTO but I just had to put in something due to pressure from my parents to register early before the late entries.

A friend of mine suggested to me that even if I finally want to go for a computer related course, I should go for computer engineering and not science. His reason - engineers are more appreciated in Nigeria than scientists. He also suggested I go for Electrical electronics or pure electronics engineering.

JAMB change of course and institution ends on 17th April(this month) embarassed

Please friends I really need your suggestions ASAP.

Also, I forgot to mention, I'm a little good in mathematics and also a further Maths student(don't confuse me to be math whizkid but I really know my ins and outs when it comes to maths).

Now with all my math skills, I really thought I'd fit in almost perfectly in the higher institution in computer science but it turns out that most of my friends studying computer science encounter very little mathematics(which is sometimes borrowed from Maths department).

So..

Should I still go for computer science or computer engineering(any one would do, really!) ?

What institutions in Nigeria have good ICT facilities and computer science prestige(even if I don't end up studying computer science I'll still be able to meet a lot of gurus) ?

All sorts of criticism is allowed - constructive, insultive, destructive(abeg if u dey plan to give this one that means u carry me for
mind enter this thread lipsrsealed)..

Thanks.
well i wish u the best and i suggested u to go with computer science because is ur interest and interest is the most considered factor in career choosing so computer science is gud.EVEN ME IAM AT COLLEGE STUDYNG PHY/COMP.

(1) (Reply)

Masters In Abu Or Ui / How Do I Enter A Lift / Sss Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.