Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,950 members, 7,806,744 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! (14355 Views)

How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation / Stone Falls From The Sky In Taraba State / Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by blackfase(m): 9:51am On Apr 14, 2015
Power supply from the national grid again slumped below the 3,000-megawatts mark to 2,988.72MW on Sunday on the back of gas shortfall and lower water supply to the nation’s thermal and hydropower plants respectively, our correspondent learnt on Monday.

Gas-fired power plants generate about 70 per cent of the nation’s electricity, while the balance is derived from hydro power plants, including the Kainji and Jebba power stations, which have a combined installed capacity of 1,330MW.

The downturn in power generation has exacerbated outages and load-shedding being experienced in many parts of the country, and reversed the recent slight improvement seen after supply fell to 2,767.45MW exactly one month ago.

Electricity supply fell to 2,988.72MW on April 12, while 3,060.37MW was generated that day, according to data obtained from the Federal Ministry of Power on Monday.

Power generation had on March 11 dropped to 2,747.45MW, while 2,676.64MW was sent out to consumers, down from 3,505MW on March 8.

Power generation and supply in the country have dipped below the 3,000MW mark for at least five times this year.

On February 10, electricity supply plunged to 2,869.84MW as 2,936.83MW was generated that day, according to the Presidential Task Force on Power.

On January 11, 2015, generation fell to 2,502.39MW, while 2,449.04MW was sent out. Generation fell to 2,948.45MW on January 6, while 2,880.31MW was sent out to the distribution companies.

The downturn in power generation has often been attributed to the sabotage of the Trans-Forcados Pipeline, which supplies gas to several power plants in the country.

The Special Adviser on Gas to the Minister of Power, Mr. Frank Edozie, said in a telephone interview with our correspondent that the Trans-Forcados Pipeline had been vandalised, and that this led to the shortage in gas supply to the power plants.

“There are problems with gas supply and the hydropower plants are not getting enough water supply,” he said, adding that the problem with the gas pipeline would be resolved this week.

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Ikeja Electric, one of the distribution companies in Lagos, Mr. Abiodun Ajifowobaje, in an exclusive interview with our correspondent on Friday, said the average energy from the grid to the firm dropped to about 370MW last month, adding that one of the two greatest challenges facing the distributing firms today was inadequate power supply from the grid.

“In the case of power supply, if I want to give all my customers 24/7 power supply today, I need 1,250MW, but the average I am getting from the grid is about 370MW to 400MW; less than a third of what I need.”

He said the firm had been looking for ways of getting power from other sources like embedded generation.

“There are some people that have captive power that will sell the excess to us. We are doing all that in Ikeja; Eko and other Discos are doing the same because we don’t know when we will get enough gas to get adequate power from the grid. We don’t know when transmission, which is another problem, will improve.

So, we are not in this business to say we are not going to power the consumers,” Ajifowobaje said.

Aside from gas shortage as a result of pipeline vandalism, Ajifowobaje said, “This is the time we have low water for the hydro power stations. So, with the gas not getting to the thermal power plants and the water at the dams at the lowest level, this is the worst period for power to come from the grid.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/power-supply-falls-to-2988mw/

1 Share

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Gallass(m): 9:53am On Apr 14, 2015
Does this vandalism exist only in Nigeria?

I'm FTC For the first time since over three years. Signs of good things to come. I'm gonna kill 2 fowls for my mom who borrowed me her charger last night. Luv you all.

10 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Jorussia(m): 9:54am On Apr 14, 2015
no Wonder, the power supply in area in benin has been very poor of recent.

4 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by agarawu23(m): 9:55am On Apr 14, 2015
op, I guess this can happen anywhere

Rome wasn't built in a day sooner or later, electricity will be stable in Nigeria. don't forget our population(170m +)

but we shld pray our Govt shld help us in electricity palava

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by SHARIAREPORTERS: 9:56am On Apr 14, 2015
Let's wait for d magician to cum fix it
May 29th no far again

18 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by blackfase(m): 9:57am On Apr 14, 2015
Id even prefer this ministry to d petroleum b probed. D mystery of d nigerian power sector is mind boggling.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Nazeeboy(m): 9:59am On Apr 14, 2015
This GEJ is now destroying the power supply so that he can make it hard for Baba to fix it. For mama peace voice: chaiii........diaris God oooo

32 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by blackfase(m): 10:00am On Apr 14, 2015
My broda, this kind of thing hasnt been reported elsewhere. Nigeria is d only place wher u experience from d ridiculous to d insane. But I gues we all r culpable......

agarawu23:
op, I guess this can happen anywhere

but we shld pray our Govt shld help us in electricity palava

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by dyadeleye(m): 10:01am On Apr 14, 2015
Buhari, we don't need 7 points agenda....One point is enough...#electricity#!!!!!!.....

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by loomer: 10:03am On Apr 14, 2015
Na wa o.

Anyway make we de hope for better days ahead
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Kolade354(m): 10:03am On Apr 14, 2015
This are the thing Jonatha govt should have pay attention to but he can visit malawi,mali and lagos 10 times in a month...........A drunkard who cant get his shiit together.

36 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Kolade354(m): 10:04am On Apr 14, 2015
dyadeleye:
Buhari, we don't need 7 points agenda....One point is enough...#electricity#!!!!!!.....
U are ryt.

3 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by seunfly: 10:05am On Apr 14, 2015
What is the reason for this? This government has spent a lot on the power yet it keeps reducing.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by agarawu23(m): 10:05am On Apr 14, 2015
blackfase:

My broda, this kind of thing hasnt been reported elsewhere. Nigeria is d only place wher u experience from d ridiculous to d insane. But I gues we all r culpable......

Google search it not only Nigeria is suffering from electricity palava.

we shldnt blame Gej for everything

2 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 14, 2015
See Prof face...clueless like his paymaster shocked
This minister of power has also failed....they like talking big big...now perform, you can't perform.
His oga Dr.....likes talking big big...oya perform, you can't perform.
The best thing has been done to this government...pack and go...no certificate of RETURN

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by OCTAVO: 10:15am On Apr 14, 2015
Not again! No wonder, there has been no electricity for days. @OP, where is your source?
Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by blackfase(m): 10:18am On Apr 14, 2015
Again my broda, its only in nigeria that a government will spend a $100billion dollars & its total generation capacity will continue to hover at same spot for 16yrs. I'm sure google will hav somethin to say about it......*modfied

agarawu23:
Google search it not only Nigeria is suffering from electricity palava.

we shldnt blame Gej for everything

4 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Kentrasso(f): 10:21am On Apr 14, 2015
Too bad.
I envy the community where I reside presently. There's 24hours constant power supply. If there will be a blackout we will be notified like weeks or days before. Electricity should be the least of our problems in Nigeria at this time

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by agarawu23(m): 10:22am On Apr 14, 2015
blackfase:

Again my broda, its only in nigeria that a government will spend a $100billion dollars & its totally generation capacity will continue to hover at same spot for 16yrs. Google it......

stop quoting me abeg! you can go to the national assembly for a quick response
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by aristocrazzy: 10:22am On Apr 14, 2015
But how come the light in my area has increased
Adonbilivit show me pix
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by naijainfogalery: 10:22am On Apr 14, 2015
Well the days of worries are over, abeg Oga Jona Step down Sai Buhari, Osinbajo and Oga Fashola minister for power, we trust and believe in you guys.

Some claimed its impossible yet they dont wanna step down. The claimed Nigeria's problem is too much and Nigeria is ungovernable yet they still wanna rule,They claimed Nigeria is poor yet they enrich themselves.

If not for the fact that we have clueless people in Power, They make power generation seems like rocket science. Any reasonable government would know the best way to handle this problem is to divide Nigeria is 4 section

In the North they have enough sun - Solar Power automatically plays out here
In The west where we have Ocean which means plenty wind, - Wind power can work well here
In the Middle belt where Oil Flourish - Gas would be the best way to generate power

Or look at the States with the highest Industries or rich states Like Kano, Lagos, Kaduna, Port harcourt, Akwa Ibom Make the states generate power steadily and over time they can even sell to other states.

Common Sense is not common. They will make everything seems like its rocket science. I know some people will quote me and say Rubbish.

Power generation and transmission isnt a big deal, If Redeem, Winners and all these top organisations can generate distribute and manage power without interruption, If you still think power generation is a big deal and that the Government is trying or has tried. you will only be a foool to think that way

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by RockMaxi: 10:23am On Apr 14, 2015
I have a dream, one day this spell will be broken and it's going to be sooner than expected. angry

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by xareal(m): 10:23am On Apr 14, 2015
may 29th I can't wait for u
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Goddex: 10:23am On Apr 14, 2015
[size=15pt]This is temporary.

PUNCH is one stewpid news outfit doing propaganda for APC

[/size]

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 14, 2015
Almost a week now, no light in my house. Maximum of 1hr per day.

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Maczeelly(m): 10:23am On Apr 14, 2015
It will rise again........
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 14, 2015
Don't worry, change is coming....
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by akanixx: 10:23am On Apr 14, 2015
When are we getting it right.... From 1 probs to anoda cry
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by urcutecrush(f): 10:24am On Apr 14, 2015
GEJ transformation grin

2 Likes

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by Pergrace: 10:24am On Apr 14, 2015
Still struggling to generate 2988 MW for over 54 years after independence cry cry cry cry cry cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by groundnutoil(m): 10:24am On Apr 14, 2015
once again i say CAPITAL I small j
Re: Power Supply Falls To 2,988MW, Yet Again! by osamaBUSH(m): 10:24am On Apr 14, 2015
seunfly:
What is the reason for this? This government has spent a lot on the power yet it keeps reducing.
Vandalism is one of the main reasons why the investment in the power sector has not been paying off.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Iranian Scientist Invents Time-Machine For Future Prediction / Nigeria Install Hydromet Across River Basins 2 Protect Coastal Areas 4rm Flood(p / ChatGPT Will Soon Be Able To Generate Videos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.