Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,074 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). (32024 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Lay Claim To Ownership Of Benue Valley, Vow To Mobilise Herdsmen / Irritating For Niger Deltans To Lay Claim To The Oil In Their Community - Buhari / Drama As Two PDP Candidates Lay Claim To INEC Certificate Of Return In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 29, 2016
steveosaz:

Look, you are just a rabble rouser. I gave you some hard core verifiable back ups and even painted a glaring reality to you yet you still don't get it. Sorry, you are way past the line. Who knows, you just might be working under one of those none indigenes and yet come here to blab trash. I know go getters when I see them and you clearly don't fall in that category.

Listen, who is a tenant and who is a landlord in today's world is a question of how much of the real estate you have in your possession. I guess you would ignorantly call the Ibru's tenants, or Dangote, or all those other super rich dudes who move and shake Lagos. LoL, you've got to be a special breed of an ignoramus.
Well, you who claim to be an omo onile, those peole run the show while you 'oga lanlord' would only get to sit by the curb and watch. Mind you, this topic is about the Island, and even at that, you don't own shit!

Clearly you don't know what a rabble rouser is, you wear ignorance like a medal and annoyingly you flaunt it with brazen haughtiness.

The super rich are tenants of Lagos state governor chew on that and don't choke on it. it is the law.

How about I don't own shit I bet cos you purchased a plot or at worst an acre of land, you consider yourself owning shit. Na you sabi, empty barrel Loma pariwo.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by UchaNwababa: 9:16pm On Dec 29, 2016
Princesaha:
Eko was formerly owned and ruled by the Oba of Benin but the afonjas due to their population "chanced" them and today have an afonja oba. The truth is that in the near future, the ALMIGHTY IGBOS will chance the afonjas and take over everything.
please do not quote me and talk trash cos am only giving a prophesy which will come to pass.
And i will be the first IGBO Oba of lagos
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by kowio: 4:48pm On Jan 01, 2017
African tribes have fought to expand lands and territories since prehistoric times. How far back should we go?

The King of Benin can in a single day make 20,000 men ready for war, and, if need be, 180,000, and because of this he has great influence among all the surrounding peoples. . . . His authority stretches over many cities, towns and villages. There is no King thereabouts who, in the possession of so many beautiful cities and towns, is his equal. — Olfert Dapper, Nauwkeurige Beschrijvinge der Afrikaansche Gewesten (Description of Africa), 1668.

We are forgetting that if not for the European colonial interlude, by now the entire Niger Delta region, further east and west would have fallen under the fierce military rule of the Great Benin Empire, Eko island and into the mainlands of Lagos. 1897 to 2017 would have just been another 120 years added to the many centuries of domination before. Generally, most regions of the coastal areas of western Nigeria, the creeks and rivers of the Niger Delta and the surrounding communities were a key area of Benin’s domination.

Even at the end of the 19th century, the Kingdom of Benin had managed to retain its independence and the Oba exercised a near monopoly over trade which the British found irksome. As Benin was the main opposition to the British control over the region, we ultimately suffered the most casualty and material loss by the British colonial interlude. The regions we captured, won in wars, our regional political structures, our Art etc i.e. the regions highlighted above and more were all part of the Kingdom of Benin, for hundreds of years, far longer than the existence of Nigeria, before the Anglo-Benin military confrontation of February 1897, the conflict and its aftermath.

The British annexed Lagos as a colony in 1861. The remainder of the Benin Empire - i.e., the major part of modern-day south-west Nigeria - were seized by the British in 1887, and when the British established the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria in 1914, Lagos was declared its capital.

As our brothers are crying for liberation from the amalgamation of 1914, the spirits of Oba Ewuare the Great, the Benin prince Ado ( the 1st Oba of Eko - formation of Lagos ), Benin prince Ginuwa (formation of the Itsekiri kingdom, whose monarchy has continued to the present day as The Olu of Warri), our great warring kinsmen and ancestors are chanting for their cities and the authority of their Empire.

May God bless the Oba of Benin, the Benin princes and may the treasures and returns of our Empire be restored.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by ImperialYoruba: 5:02pm On Jan 01, 2017
kowio:

African tribes have fought to expand lands and territories since prehistoric times. How far back should we go?

The King of Benin can in a single day make 20,000 men ready for war, and, if need be, 180,000, and because of this he has great influence among all the surrounding peoples. . . . His authority stretches over many cities, towns and villages. There is no King thereabouts who, in the possession of so many beautiful cities and towns, is his equal. — Olfert Dapper, Nauwkeurige Beschrijvinge der Afrikaansche Gewesten (Description of Africa), 1668

We are forgetting that if not for the European colonial interlude, by now the entire Niger Delta region, further east and west would have fallen under the fierce military rule of the Great Benin Empire, Eko island and into the mainlands of Lagos. 1897 to 2017 would have just been another 120 years added to the many centuries of domination before. Generally, most regions of the coastal areas of western Nigeria, the creeks and rivers of the Niger Delta and the surrounding communities were a key area of Benin’s domination.

Even at the end of the 19th century, the Kingdom of Benin had managed to retain its independence and the Oba exercised a monopoly over trade which the British found irksome. As we the Benin’s were the main opposition to the British control over the region, we ultimately suffered the most casualty and material loss, and it should include the region highlighted above. As these regions were all part of the Kingdom of Benin, for hundreds of years, far longer than the existence of Nigeria, before Anglo-Benin military confrontation of February 1897, the conflict and its aftermath.

The British annexed Lagos as a colony in 1861. The remainder of the Benin Empire - i.e., the major part of modern-day south-west Nigeria - were seized by the British in 1887, and when the British established the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria in 1914, Lagos was declared its capital.

As our brothers are crying for liberation from the amalgamation of 1914, the spirits Oba Ewuare the Great, the Benin prince Ado ( the 1st Oba of Eko - formation of Lagos ), Benin prince Ginuwa (formation of the Itsekiri kingdom, whose monarchy has continued to the present day as The Olu of Warri) and our Great warring kinsman and ancestors are chanting for their cities and the authority of their Empire.

You guys have no independent account that narrates your history. Every aspect of your so-called greatness is the narration of a white man. The records back then were valuable and when sold to publishers it brings good profit to the writer. Writers therefore painted alluring pictures and embellished to great extent what the reality truly is, as this would bring great subscriptions and therefore plenty money. Most of the writers on Bini never visited any other Kingdom to take stock.

Your oral account of your history is so void of substance that you even can't properly enumerate why you went to Lagos or what happened there after your arrival. Everyone controlled their domain West of Bini. Bini had no naval warriors because you are not a water people. All the coastal people you allude have sea farers and naval force. So how did you fight them in the waters?

Again, this piece of vital record is missing in your narration. If a white man had written about it you would be educated....but no white man wrote of it, so you are left with a gap.

Can you tell us how Bini fought people of the waters that you claim they ruled over?

6 Likes

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by kowio: 5:42pm On Jan 01, 2017
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by AsiwajuNdigbo: 5:51pm On Jan 01, 2017
kowio:
More info here https://www.nairaland.com/2583522/historical-facts-lagos-eko

There you go, deferring to others to tell your story. grin

You wrote a mouthful on this thread when you simply could have directed people to that other thread. Respond to my request on this thread. Im not going to another thread that is full quotes from some more white writers.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by kowio: 5:56pm On Jan 01, 2017
In war canoes built to hold from 50 to 100 armed soldiers each.

AsiwajuNdigbo:

There you go, deferring to others to tell your story. grin

You wrote a mouthful on this thread when you simply could have directed people to that other thread. Respond to my request on this thread. Im not going to another thread that is full quotes from some more white writers.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by kowio: 6:21pm On Jan 01, 2017
See list of the Obas of Lagos to date https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oba_of_Lagos
and the Olu of warri to date https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Warri

Ask why the 1st were men from Benin, that would be a better question than how did you fight them in the waters? I guess that would be more of a challenge.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by ImperialYoruba: 4:55am On Jan 02, 2017
kowio:
In war canoes built to hold from 50 to 100 armed soldiers each.

Who owned these canoes? Bini is not a water people.

1 Like

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by ImperialYoruba: 4:56am On Jan 02, 2017
kowio:
See list of the Obas of Lagos to date https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oba_of_Lagos
and the Olu of warri to date https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Warri

Ask why the 1st were men from Benin, that would be a better question than how did you fight them in the waters? I guess that would be more of a challenge.

The first men were Bini because of relationships between the people of those lands.

1 Like

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by bogolobango(m): 9:31am On Jan 02, 2017
Dumaknesset & steveosaz these guys Just dey blow english since
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by folem: 5:09pm On May 04, 2017
Hmm.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by updatechange(m): 7:21pm On May 04, 2017
Onlinebi:

No my dear, the reverse is the case. Oduduwas is an exiled King of Benin. He ran away and settled in Ife. So it is not Benin originating from Yoruba rather Yoruba originates from Benin. Do your own research.

Yes dear, i quite agree with u to a limited extent, yes Oduduwa exiled from Bini and settled in Ile-ife but do u also know that the last born of Oduduwa Oranmiyan became the Oba of Benin kingdom and when he was leaving for Ile-Ife he gave the throne to his son who also became the the Oba of benin which means the Yorubas has more influence in bini than the binis in yoruba land.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by TheStronghold: 7:39pm On May 04, 2017
omofunaab:
Oh ye igbos what's up with this obsession of another man's land ?

Lagos culture is yoruba

Lagos has a Yoruba king

Lagos is governed by yorubas

Most places in Lagos have yoruba names

My grandma was from isale eko

What other cultures do you see in Lagos state apart from that of yorubas that makes it no man's land?
it's because they've never come close to establishing anything near Eko, so they must attach by force themselves to it. That's what people who have never had an empire do. It's pretty pathetic really. They should be embarrassed.

The real question is, does ANY place in Nigeria belong to the Igbos? All of Nigerian land was occupied by former empires, which none were igbo. So where is the Igbo home?

2 Likes

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by kaltonga: 8:42pm On May 04, 2017
bogolobango:
To my flat head bro lagos is yoruba land as u can see no ibo name is mentioned in dis history so u guys should please nd please saying lagos is no mans land
you afonjas have seen the evils of distorting history..you guys are always happy whensome people distort our history down south..when some history illetrates come and rewrite the history of the ikweres,ndoki,opobo,anioma and the host of them you hail them to high heavens calling igbos land grabbers..now the oba of lagos has made it very clear to you afonja land grabbers and gold diggers that lagos is not and will never be a yoruba land,..so you guys can drown yourselves in the lagoon in protest but its now official in nigeria that lagos is not a yoruba land..... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by kaltonga: 8:45pm On May 04, 2017
princdebola201:
olodo rabata did u read the article upside down...aworis were the first settlers in lagos state,besides benin kingdom is owned by oduduwa who is the ancestor of yoruba...
ogbeni oba lagoon don tell you say make you mind your business for ogbomosho, leave him lagos for am..haba na by force to cliam relationship

2 Likes

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by kaltonga: 8:50pm On May 04, 2017
Onlinebi:

No my dear, the reverse is the case. Oduduwas is an exiled King of Benin. He ran away and settled in Ife. So it is not Benin originating from Yoruba rather Yoruba originates from Benin. Do your own research.
so what of the guy that crash landed from the sky,was he bini or oduduwa?

1 Like

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by kaltonga: 9:00pm On May 04, 2017
TheStronghold:
it's because they've never come close to establishing anything near Eko, so they must attach by force themselves to it. That's what people who have never had an empire do. It's pretty pathetic really. They should be embarrassed.

The real question is, does ANY place in Nigeria belong to the Igbos? All of Nigerian land was occupied by former empires, which none were igbo. So where is the Igbo home?
the igbo homes are ile isha osun and ibadan...ode, oba don tell you say lagos is not yoruba land, so mind your business at ekiti
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by paparazzi1987(m): 9:11pm On May 04, 2017
Dumaknesset:

Your arguments are not only non sequitur but are fallacious, duplicitous and tendentious. the illogicality in your pontifications is quite astounding, you were in a hurry to impress that igbos now have a stake and you revealed the fluidity and constant flux in your brains.

This discourse is not dialectical, it is as straight as straight can be, you were just wishing to create pseudo polemics and impress with your addled brain arguments. I bit your bait just to guide you back into the article 's theme, but I guess you failed abysmally again to understand basic history posted by a corn for brain that string up hogwash and labelled it history of Lagos state.

Again you reduce the argument to your usual tu quo que fallacious posturing asking abrasively, how much land I have.
It is will be a great disservice to intellectually savvy people to engage a person like you in any discourse whatsoever, as I can glean from your hogwash you are more interested in hurling insults.

The law is clear section 28 of LUA 1978, all lands in Lagos state are owned by the governor of lagos State and you land purchasers are only holding it in trust for him for 99 years hence cofo and consent and same applies mutandi mutatis for lands in undeveloped area being owned by the local government, hence payment of ground rent and land use charge.

I have shown you the hiatus in your first post and there is absolutely no need reiterating it.

Jesuu!!! Abeg you fit write my ielts exam for me cool shocked
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Nobody: 8:07am On May 05, 2017
[quote author=paparazzi1987 post=56214892]
Jesuu!!! Abeg you fit write my ielts exam for me cool shocked[/quot

As a lawyer, I cannot! Thanks any way.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by orisa37: 10:19am On May 05, 2017
barnacle:
binis own eko(war camp)

A case similar to Afonja of Ilorin. There was civilization there before Ashipa. This Wikipedia is guesswork. I believe Akiolu is bribed to play Judas for Benin Kingdom.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by orisa37: 10:28am On May 05, 2017
tpiadotcom:
Which king did the portuguese meet when they arrived in lagos in 1472, or has that information been lost.

Good question.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Mckennedy: 10:44am On May 05, 2017
whitecat1:
The only people that have anything to do with Lagos after Ore are Yoruba Edo formerly known as Ado. Bini have nothing to do with Lagos. The old king of Lagos dressed differently, all Obas in Yorubaland dress anyway they want. Oba Ado was one of the kings in Lagos not Oba Bini. Oba Rilwan can put on what he wants, but I don't see him dress up like Benin king with white and large loops around his neck.

You can't teach what you don't know.

In your first post I asked you to learn what the word 'found' means, and you really need to. Awori running from where again? Well, it doesn't matter, they were met there and that's it. You can't found a place twice, and they didn't forget anything in Lagos if they ever even lived there. No traces of them.

Ol boi see painment....Land grabbers
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Mckennedy: 10:48am On May 05, 2017
kaltonga:
you afonjas have seen the evils of distorting history..you guys are always happy whensome people distort our history down south..when some history illetrates come and rewrite the history of the ikweres,ndoki,opobo,anioma and the host of them you hail them to high heavens calling igbos land grabbers..now the oba of lagos has made it very clear to you afonja land grabbers and gold diggers that lagos is not and will never be a yoruba land,..so you guys can drown yourselves in the lagoon in protest but its now official in nigeria that lagos is not a yoruba land..... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Tell them ooo Afonja land grabbers..
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Mckennedy: 10:51am On May 05, 2017
updatechange:

Yes dear, i quite agree with u to a limited extent, yes Oduduwa exiled from Bini and settled in Ile-ife but do u also know that the last born of Oduduwa Oranmiyan became the Oba of Benin kingdom and when he was leaving for Ile-Ife he gave the throne to his son who also became the the Oba of benin which means the Yorubas has more influence in bini than the binis in yoruba land.

Go to bini and say that and see if they won't shatter your jaws! My piece of advice.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by PFRB: 5:51pm On May 06, 2017
oyatz:
There was NO CENTRALIZED Government then , each Idejo clan (the Aworis who are descendants of Olofin , from Ile -Ife) had its own chief e.g Oloto in Otto, Ojora in Ijora etc
Which President/ Prime Minister did the British meet in Nigeria in 1914? Does this mean Nigeria wasn't in existence then or that the British own Nigeria?
The Binis were the first to set up centralized Government as( a vasal state) in Eko but the place was already inhabited by the Aworis.

The Aworis are not Yorubas.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Dsampler: 12:47am On May 07, 2017
Original lies. Carefully orchestrated. Big time BS.
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Yyeske(m): 1:25am On May 07, 2017
The Binis own Lagos as attested by the Oba of Lagos, any revisionistsuggestions are fake.

Oya, come beat me for my house
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Christistruth00: 2:10am On May 07, 2017
Please read this document written by Sir Alfred Moloney British Colonial Governor of Lagos written in 1890.Can you in the third paragraph see where he describes the 1069 square miles of the protectorate of Lagos as part of the Yoruba territory?

1 Like

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by doyinbaby(f): 3:44am On May 07, 2017
All these wahala over Lagos should stop....God is the real owner of Lagos...lobatan
Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Yyeske(m): 3:53am On May 07, 2017
Christistruth00:
Please read this document written by Sir Alfred Moloney British Colonial Governor of Lagos written in 1890.Can you in the third paragraph see where he describes the 1069 square miles of the protectorate of Lagos as part of the Yoruba territory?
You should be forwarding this to the Oba of Lagos, a custodian of the culture and language has spoken.

Portuguese.. Lagos.. means lagoon, lake

Bini/Edo. ...Eko ... means war fortress

Yoruba......

Yorubas migrated into Lagos then just like any modern day Nigerian today so enough of the 'your Lagos'.

1 Like

Re: The Real History Of Lagos.(who Should Lay Claim To The Land). by Okezenwa: 3:58am On May 07, 2017
Yyeske:
The Binis own Lagos as attested by the Oba of Lagos, any revisionistsuggestions are fake.

Oya, come beat me for my house

The Binis own Onitsha, and Igala are owners of the remaining part of Anambra. The Fulani are owners of Enugu. Ibos own only Abia and the backward Ebonyi state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Gun Down Boko Haram Member While Fleeing In A Gun Truck. Photos / Atiku Writes Biden, Lists Nigeria’s Challenges, Seeks U.S Intervention / How Obasanjo Destroyed PDP (2) - VANGUARD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.