Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,400 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? (1114 Views)

See BBC Photo Stirring Hilarious Debates On Social Media / Common Insults You See Almost Everyday On Nairaland / Gej "debates" With Dbanj (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by GoldCircle: 11:02am On Jan 29, 2009
Really folks! I have noticed this a thousand times over! What really is responsible for this? Or is it a reflection of the 'Nigerian' and the society we live in? what about other folks that don't live in Naija & didn't grow up here? They often are the first to throw stones! Perhaps these insults are often a reflection of immature minds! Perhaps!

Many good topics often become battle grounds as soon as the debate heats up! I mean, why can't we have meaningful & civil discussions on real issues that could move our national & private lives forward? Everyone needs to think about this!
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by Shaz(f): 8:02pm On Jan 29, 2009
True that. . Somthing needs to be done.
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by Busybody2(f): 1:22pm On Jan 30, 2009
It just boils down to the fact that Nigerians in general lack the skills of persuasion and negotiation, and are seriously lacking in patience, hence the reason they want to ram their opinion down your throat in an uncouth manner cheesy It's either "their way" or "the highway" for them grin

BRB cool
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by Muza(m): 8:11pm On Feb 01, 2009
cos many ppl dont like hearing the truth.
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by GoldCircle: 4:46pm On Feb 03, 2009
. . .including Nigerians??
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by Epi: 6:39pm On Feb 03, 2009
@ GoldCircle

The answer you're looking for is inside the glass.

Question: Is the glass half empty or half full (see pic attached). 

1 love

Busy_body:

It just boils down to the fact that Nigerians in general lack the skills of persuasion and negotiation, and are seriously lacking in patience, hence the reason they want to ram their opinion down your throat in an uncouth manner cheesy It's either "their way" or "the highway" for them grin
BRB cool
Ditto. Plus they(some) are HSP
http://www.hsperson.com/index.html

Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by Moyola(f): 6:43pm On Feb 03, 2009
ehn o! whai? tongue
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by jamace(m): 8:39pm On Feb 03, 2009
Because nigerians are animal politicians (and not political animals). angry
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by Lagosboy: 3:35pm On Feb 05, 2009
Nigerians are naturally rude and were brought up to be rude. You post a comment someone replies "your talking crap" , "idiot" , "fool" "Shut up" and so one.

Its just a shame people cannot hold any meaningful debate without throwing of insults especially on the politics section - foreign affars is an example.
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by MrCrackles(m): 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2009
POSTER

Common sense is lacking among some people on NL

Some people find it hard to take criticism on board

Some are just plain clueless

Some dont respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion(s)

Showing maturity is another problem amongst nairalanders!
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by dani1luv: 6:56pm On Feb 05, 2009
MrCrackles:

POSTER

Common sense is lacking among some people on NL

Some people find it hard to take criticism on board

Some are just plain clueless

Some dont respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion(s)

Maturity is another problem amongst nairalanders!

Greatest Problem
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by GoldCircle: 8:54am On Feb 06, 2009
epi:

@ GoldCircle

The answer you're looking for is inside the glass.

Question: Is the glass half empty or half full (see pic attached). 

1 love
Ditto. Plus they(some) are HSP
http://www.hsperson.com/index.html

All I know is that I can see a glass with water in it. The rest actually depends on my expectations. If on a given day, I expect someone to bring me an empty glass, so I could go & get some water by all by myself, and then the person comes to me with not only a glass but some water in it. Then I'll say the glass is half full and the implication is that the person has done me some favor by putting water into the glass. If on the other hand I actually go ahead to pay someone to get me a glass of water on a very hot afternoon and the person returns to me after some time to give me a glass that is half empty, of course I wouldn't be pleased with such a person cos what I expected was a glass full of water! Nothing more, nothing less!

So like I said, it depends on the expectations! Half bread they say, is better than none!. . . and then if the bread is bad;what do you do??
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by Epi: 8:44pm On Feb 06, 2009
GoldCircle:

All I know is that I can see a glass with water in it. The rest actually depends on my expectations. If on a given day, I expect someone to bring me an empty glass, so I could go & get some water by all by myself, and then the person comes to me with not only a glass but some water in it. Then I'll say the glass is half full and the implication is that the person has done me some favor by putting water into the glass. If on the other hand I actually go ahead to pay someone to get me a glass of water on a very hot afternoon and the person returns to me after some time to give me a glass that is half empty, of course I wouldn't be pleased with such a person cos what I expected was a glass full of water! Nothing more, nothing less!

So like I said, it depends on the expectations! Half bread they say, is better than none!. . . and then if the bread is bad;what do you do??

Glad you see the glass half empty and half full.  The thing is, when some folks see the glass half empty, they want you to accept the glass empty even though you see it as half full.  ***sigh*** Whatever happened to "a difference of opinions?"  And the tenth commandment is grin grin

#10 [i[b]]"Please respect the opinions of others and choose your words wisely. Each user has their own point of view, and these views must be respected"[/i][/b]

1 love
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by jamace(m): 8:20am On Feb 07, 2009
"Please respect the opinions of others and choose your words wisely. Each user has their own point of view, and these views must be respected"
After all, all we are doing on NL is a mere academic exercise cool.
Re: Why Do Arguments & Debates On Nairaland Often Turn Into Insults & Mudslinging? by Nobody: 11:50am On Feb 09, 2009
Nigerians generally do not like critism.
Getting an average Nigerian to admit they've made a mistake, even when so glaringly obvious is like drawing blood, correct them at your own peril.
They're likely to not only insult you, but also your mom, dad, and grandparents, even those long dead.

Typical reaction to a hot debate is to swamp you in verbal abuse, especially if they've nothing tangible to use against the oppossition, and no chance of winning.

DeltaVAGTM

(1) (Reply)

If I See Anybody Modifying My Posts Again. . . . . . . . / How To Use Opera Mini On Black Berry / What's Your Best Love Song(s) Of All Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.