Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) (39529 Views)

Listen To Your Wife, Reps Tell Buhari- Vanguard / We Don’t Need Foreign Aid – Buhari(vanguard) / How We Will Stop Boko Haram, By Muhammadu Buhari--vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Nobody: 7:05am On Apr 15, 2015
LAGOS — President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), is to lead a campaign to repeal the pension laws for governors enacted by many states of the federation, Vanguard has learnt.

The proposal by the incoming president is based on what sources close to him affirm as the incongruity of the laws under the country’s socio-economic environment and also, as a way of demonstrating moral leadership from the top.

Majority of the nation’s 36 state Houses of Assembly have enacted generous pension entitlements for governors that in many cases provide 100 per cent pay for the incumbent governors buildings, generous medical allowances for them and their family members and annual holiday provisions, all of which are to last for life. Provisions in the pension allowances are also made for staff, security and vehicles that are renewable every three or four years.Buhari-Nigeria

Buhari’s inclination towards a review of the pension for former governors was first publicly declared few days to the presidential election at the All Progressives Congress, APC, retreat in Owerri, Imo State.

It’s scandalous

A source conversant with the development disclosed that Buhari told the governors that there was no way Nigeria could survive under the financial weight of the pensions that had been earmarked for governors. He was said to have described the pension laws as enacted by states controlled by APC and PDP governors as scandalous.

According to the source, “he was very blunt about it and said that it was something that was going to be done immediately, especially because it is not something that can be sustained.

“The feeling was that not only was it wrong and morally unconscionable, but that it was not something that should be encouraged, and he was appealing to them that it should be changed.”
However, the response of the governors, who were present at the retreat, was not immediately given.

It’s a welcome proposal —Keyamo

The development was, yesterday, welcomed by leading Lagos lawyer, Festus Keyamo, who described it as a fantastic proposal but disclosed that it was something that could, however, only be accomplished through moral suasion.

“Fantastic, fantastic. It is a very welcome proposal,” the Lagos lawyer, who backed General Buhari against President Goodluck Jonathan in last month’s presidential election said.

He, however, said the proposal was something that Buhari could only effect through moral suasion as the pension acts were enacted by state Houses of Assembly.

The crave for financial safety out of office was recently also extended to the legislature after the Lagos State House of Assembly passed pension laws to guarantee generous pension entitlements with proposals for former presiding officers of the house.
For details of the pension entitlements for ex-governor of each state click here: www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/buhari-to-move-against-pension-for-ex-governors/

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Nobody: 7:06am On Apr 15, 2015
undecided

GOOD. BUHARI IS WORKING, HATERS ARE HATING

164 Likes 6 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by dhardline(m): 7:08am On Apr 15, 2015
Interesting...lets see how this unfolds.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by RockMaxi: 7:08am On Apr 15, 2015
Buhari should please soft pedal on this campaign. You need the cooperation of the 36states governors. You will equally need another law to counter all this but you know you only have 4years for your first tenure and this is very short to meddle with all this corruption that have been institutionalized.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by donsmall94(m): 7:12am On Apr 15, 2015
Noted
Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by domopps(m): 7:13am On Apr 15, 2015
I swear I love this concept!

@least some of them would wake up get to work! And the post would no longer worth dying for any longer.

Cheeers

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 15, 2015
Meeeeeen, this man go harsh o cheesy

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by AdeniyiA(m): 7:15am On Apr 15, 2015
haaaaahhhhh.... shocked shocked ,see entitlements shocked
despite all they garner during their time in office, this is definitely scandalous and inconsiderate of them...
They are definitely not leaders but cheaters angry
They should learn from this Uruguayan president
http://astoundable.com/worlds-poorest-president/

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Nobody: 7:17am On Apr 15, 2015
I believe Buhari will take this nation forward .From all indications.
I am sure myself and Millions of Other Nigerisns will never ever regret voting for buhari.
Sai Buhari

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by blackjack21(m): 7:19am On Apr 15, 2015
Good move.
I want him to also put his Telescope on NASS Bastaerds, they eat. Too much.

LESS POT BELLIES MORE DUTY.

SAI BUHARI

07:19:21
Wed, Apr 15, 2015

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by wordcat(m): 7:22am On Apr 15, 2015
Second Daniel in the court.

Thank jah!!!!! I don't think I will ever regret campaigning for Buhari

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Bayswater: 7:23am On Apr 15, 2015
And the usual pandering continues. This is a law passed by the state house of assembly. This law can only be changed by the men that passed it. Buhari needs to chill and stop feeding on the ignorance of the Nigerian masses.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by abbey086(m): 7:27am On Apr 15, 2015
Good intention, for us to move forward, we need to block all these wastage and other corruption inclined policies.

7 Likes

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by babs01(m): 7:31am On Apr 15, 2015
welcome developmnt. but won't they be embezling our money since there is no pension afta leaving d office.

6 Likes

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by PassingShot(m): 7:33am On Apr 15, 2015
This is the way to go.

Please help us make politics to be less attractive.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by san316(m): 7:33am On Apr 15, 2015
I'm just afraid for GMB. He may end up being kicked out because these politicians are veeeery selfish. I foresee a gang up, a serious sabotage or an assassination.

God help the General.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Canme4u(m): 7:34am On Apr 15, 2015
Good development.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:35am On Apr 15, 2015
What else do u want me to say, I'm Just Watching..
Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Pavore9: 7:35am On Apr 15, 2015
They stole from their people and still paid pension for stealing! The severance pay for those in the Legislature should also be addressed. How can a political officer holder who campaigned to be given an opportunity to serve me, be entitled to such?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Bayswater: 7:36am On Apr 15, 2015
mascot87:

Keep quiet you PDP nitwit. Stop dreaming cos d change is here. It wouldn't b business as usual for u guys

I was thinking you programmed dolt will counter the facts I have stated above but all you could do is to throw abuse and tantrums. Proper doom awaits you unlearned lot on this forum.
I will state it here again, Buhari can not singlehandedly repeal a pension law that was passed by a state house of assembly. The man has simply been saying what people want to hear. One could smell the deception from afar.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by PassingShot(m): 7:37am On Apr 15, 2015
RockMaxi:
Buhari should please soft pedal on this campaign. You need the cooperation of the 36states governors. You will equally need another law to counter all this but you know you only have 4years for your first tenure and this is very short to meddle with all this corruption that have been institutionalized.

Did you read the article?

11 Likes

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by SHARIAREPORTERS: 7:38am On Apr 15, 2015
Afterall, dey said buhari chose bakare and they both denied it
As far its from apc, till I see d video I don't believe
Soon dey will come out to debunk d news
And ya see fool*lish NLanders shouting sai baba
Wait till somtin happens!

2 Likes

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by PassingShot(m): 7:39am On Apr 15, 2015
Bayswater:
And the usual pandering continues. This is a law passed by the state house of assembly. This law can only be changed by the men that passed it. Buhari needs to chill and stop feeding on the ignorance of the Nigerian masses.

Did you read that he will persuade and encourage the states to repeal the laws?

21 Likes

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by fitzmayowa: 7:39am On Apr 15, 2015
The headline is a bit misleading, buhari can only appeal to the law makers to repeal the law, as he does not have the power to change the law that has already been passed by the house of assembly....

In as much as the idea is indeed a good one, i don't see any of our selfish polithieficians subscribing to it, even people within his (buhari's) camp will kick against it...

5 Likes

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by jliusadura(m): 7:42am On Apr 15, 2015
make buhari get there first before making threatening statements. I don talk my own o
Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by go4value(m): 7:43am On Apr 15, 2015
is like Buhari go work o but then kayamo has said it all

GLO IS THE BEST NETWORK... I glo with pride

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by fitzmayowa: 7:44am On Apr 15, 2015
jliusadura:
make buhari get there first before making threatening statements. I don talk my own o

I will stop this and that buhari wants to embark on will cause a big fallout between him and the law makers...IMO
Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by jahbiz: 7:44am On Apr 15, 2015
Gøod move but It should affect all our political leaders. From councillor of a ward to president of the country.

1 Like

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by anonimi: 7:44am On Apr 15, 2015
abbey086:
Good intention, for us to move forward, we need to block all these wastage and other corruption inclined policies.

I agree it is a good thing but have we asked ourselves whether the president has CONSTITUTIONAL authority over these matters? If the answer is NO, then Buhari is simply yearning dust like the DoroDullard that he was, is & will always be.

He should be talking realistically of PERSUADING the state houses of assembly not to approve such pensions.

We are in a democracy not a military DICTATORSHIP!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Nobody: 7:45am On Apr 15, 2015
This is ridiculous.

Outright daylight stealing by people whom we entrust our resources to.
Re: No Pension For Ex Governors - Buhari ( Vanguard) by Bayswater: 7:45am On Apr 15, 2015
PassingShot:

Did you read that he will persuade and encourage the states to repeal the laws?

Please copy and paste the part where that was said here and while you are at it, read the title again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Split In R-APC As Saraki Moves To Join Presidential Race / Funny Placards Of GEJ & Buhari In Chatham House Today / US Wants WTO DG Race Reopened — Suggests Okonjo-iweala Lacks Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.