Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos (38803 Views)

Police React To Northern Youths Ultimatum To Igbos, Issue Warning / Jonathan Reacts To Ultimatum Given To Igbos By Northern Youths / Fani-Kayode Blasts Kerry: "Your Statement To Sultan Is Garbage" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by RealSoundsmith: 6:50pm On Apr 16, 2015
angelawoko:

https://blogs.premiumtimesng.com/?p=167322

The author of this article is a singer she wrote this sing some years back
reverbnation.com/ozichi/song/8474378-original-9ja
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by RealSoundsmith: 8:13pm On Apr 16, 2015
IJEOMA OZICHI OMOTADE RESPONDS:

When I wrote this piece, I thought to myself "there will be backlash, and support"; yet I went ahead, thanks to the encouragement of some of my friends (you know yourselves). I'm glad I did.

Our tribal differences are like a wound.

A wound heals when it is exposed; then it can be diagnosed properly, and prescribed the right medicine and the extent of its administration.

Our nation needs healing...healing from the past...healing from unspoken words...healing from tribalistic lash-outs. (I say again without repentance that ALL tribes are guilty of tribalism).

But let's study a wound very briefly; what do you do when you discover a wound?
1. Hmm...do you poke at it? No!...it will cause more damage.
2. Do you deny it? No it will only get gangrene and a valuable part of your body will be lost.
3. Do you tend it? Yes. How? By first cleaning it, soothing it and then adding the necessary drugs...

Healing is a step by step process; sometimes slow, sometimes painful. Yet it cannot begin until we agree that there is a wound.
Only then can we ask questions like WHY IS THERE A WOUND? WHAT CAUSED IT? HOW CAN WE MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN?

Nigeria, that's what we need!
Not denial, of course not! BUT not insult upon injury either!

Peeps, I'm just a voice speaking up on one of the most sensitive areas to address in order for all our clamour for change and effort to move Nigeria forward not to be in vain.
I don't boast of knowing all the details of the past; tribal unrests, the civil war, even unrest among smaller sub-groups AMONG THE SAME TRIBE! I only know many touching stories my parents shared with us and stuff I studied over the internet about Nigerian history; stories of horror, hunger, hopelessness and numerous death among the Igbos and other tribes. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like. AND THAT IS WHY THOSE STORIES INSPIRED ME TO ALWAYS SPEAK FOR PEACE because war has no friends.

Let me speak respectfully to ALL influential people, people who have been privileged to be in positions where when you cough, a tribe or the whole nation brings out a handky for you; use your influence wisely. Take a cue from Luther and Mandela.

Martin Luther spoke for peace; no segregation of ANY colour;and he was black.

Mandela the most recent spoke for peace; no more fighting; working together and letting go of the past for a greater South africa. How could he say that after 27years!!!; when had earned the right to be unforgiving; and what did he do with his rightly earned card? He traded it for PEACE. Was it easy? I doubt it, but it was worth it.

As much as I love Instagram and Facebook and Twitter, I don't want it to get to a time when we are tweeting #ethnicunrest or posting #bloodyclashpics

I want to say thank you to those who contributed respectfully, gave their honest opinion with respect for each others own. Keep it up; that's what we need for lasting change. I personally didn't write to be RIGHT; I wrote to HE'S.

For those who vehemently insulted and hurled threats at me and other contributors...well I choose to pick out your own opinion amidst the hate words and just throw away the rest; I have chosen to blame it on the hot weather...Honestly it is really hot these days! *no seriously*

On a much lighter note I'm just so happy today that the Orekoya kids have been found that I'm almost walking on air!!yaay...and in my prayers today I prayed for the Chibok girls too...I'm still very hopeful.

All that being said, I'm off to prepare for evening service; where in the presence of God you temporarily forget you are Hausa or Igbo or Yoruba; where He just reminds you that you are Nigerian, and You are loved!
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Ximenes45(m): 8:25pm On Apr 16, 2015
macof:

You see,.so there's no sense in saying we are one in Nigeria..that's the biggest lie
You can Say that again bro!! cool
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Mimee803: 9:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by logica(m): 12:07am On Apr 17, 2015
milychocs:

Mz Adichie just made Time Magazine' s 100 Most Influential People
Maybe they will post it on Nairaland next week
Hehehehehehehe
Cheers
...and so did Shekau. So what's your point?

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by RealSoundsmith: 3:10pm On Apr 17, 2015
homirefacuny:

Am not trying to crucify you.....the truth is you av anything against the other tribes in Nigeria....just try to hide it whenever you come across people from such tribe. It won't do you any good. Let's try to forget the past and move on cos thinking about division will not materialise anytime soon. Calling your sister's husband a bigot.....highly unsavoury. Am sorry for quoting you anyway. Don't hold any grudge against me....drop that matchet of yours. Safe bro.

Some igbos claim Yorubas are traitors. Remember LT. Colonel Fajuyi died for MJ. Gen Ironsi

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by RealSoundsmith: 3:20pm On Apr 17, 2015
Amack:
you try by marrying a yoruba. nwoke agwugo na ala igbo. my teacher always told us not to associate or trust the yorubas. she gave us an e.g, she said as yorubas cap bend to any side you face it that's how there life is. she warn us that if yoruba man ask you to stay, run and he ask you to run, stay. that why if we call you (okpu yoruba) that's yoruba cap, in our school. People will start seeing you as a saboteur.

LT. Colonel Fajuyi a Yoruba man died for Ironsi an Igbo man. So you need to unlearn what your teacher taught you.
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by logica(m): 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2015
Amack:
you try by marrying a yoruba. nwoke agwugo na ala igbo. my teacher always told us not to associate or trust the yorubas. she gave us an e.g, she said as yorubas cap bend to any side you face it that's how there life is. she warn us that if yoruba man ask you to stay, run and he ask you to run, stay. that why if we call you (okpu yoruba) that's yoruba cap, in our school. People will start seeing you as a saboteur.
Exhibit A of how Igbo kids are indoctrinated into tribal hatred from an early age. I just love this confession.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Arase Issues Final Warning To Pro-Biafra Prostesters / Diezani: Sanusi Wanted To Be Afdb President But Jonathan’s Men Frustrated Him / Abdulrasheed Maina Slumps In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.