Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,488 members, 7,781,466 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:52 PM

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos (38636 Views)

Police React To Northern Youths Ultimatum To Igbos, Issue Warning / Jonathan Reacts To Ultimatum Given To Igbos By Northern Youths / Fani-Kayode Blasts Kerry: "Your Statement To Sultan Is Garbage" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by haibe(m): 12:30pm On Apr 15, 2015
Emmahunk:

Ozichi, I must commend your writing skill which I think is the main reason for your article since I can't find what you have really said differently.
Chimamanda has made her points and no matter the angle from which you look at it, the Oba as a royal father should be mindful of his statements. All it would have taken would have simply been, " Igbos, you are all my children and I am so sorry that you misunderstood me". This would have been better than using Publicity to insult the intelligence of the Igbos and even using groups like OPC and others to threaten them.
Ozichi, no one likes riots and wars BUT NO ONE WILL LIKE TO BE A THREATENED STRANGER IN HIS OWN COUNTRY.
Enough is indeed enough.

don't you still get the point? So because he is popular you then put what is said on your head? When several Igbo masses threaten yorubas in igbo land and nothing is said about it; simply because they are not popular.

It's in the Nigeria blood.. TRIBALISM... igbos hausas, yourubas are guilty. Let's stop the hypocrisy of accusing just the oba and forgetting what our own house does

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by skeendyke: 12:30pm On Apr 15, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

I don't understand you at all, are you for peace or war? undecided undecided
I am 100% for peace. However, where war is inevitable...we shall all drink from the same cup of misery.

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by sinizia: 12:32pm On Apr 15, 2015
safarigirl:
Igbo people are relatively peaceful. They rarely start any trouble.

Visit places like Benue and Plateau and they'll tell you the REAL trouble maker s in Nigeria. Has an Igbo man ever killed multiple Yoruba in Lagos because he was denied accommodation?

At least every 2 days people are attacked in their homes by Fulani herdsmen for fickle things like missing cows. Even in my school here in Abuja, those people enter the female hostels to r-ape girls. Has such ever happened in Unilag?

I repeat, you all have NO idea how good you have it in Lagos.

You nailed it absolutely!!

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 15, 2015
cooljude:
i don't think what Chimamanda wrote was tribalistic.

I have read three of her works. I like her but You can always tell that she is tribalistic.

2 Likes

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by observer777(m): 12:33pm On Apr 15, 2015
Who is this woman with such a great mind? She has said everything. You see, the Igbo's have turned their fear into a refuge from which they see any situation as an attack on them. The only people that call Igbo people "second class citizens" in this country are the Igbo themselves. They should forget about "taking over" Lagos; it is an invitation to unspeakable bloodshed. A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by oluamid(m): 12:34pm On Apr 15, 2015
Justfollowit:

*sighs deeply*

Why are you this dumb?

Lol, I tire oo.
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by jahjehova(m): 12:34pm On Apr 15, 2015
That's the reason you guys till date don't have one mytholgy of your ancestors abi? Some claim Owerre while the others say it is Nri. Recently some have said you guys ares from Israel. Strange.

BTW, have you told nairalanders the raging battles over land in your different clans and hamlets? I guess you might not know as you are probably one among thosed who have relocated from Igboland for greener pastures.

basilo101:
Nonesense. If lagos is not a no mans land why is being ruled by people frm Osun, ondo, ekiti? If yoruba claim dat SW is one entity let an Ekiti man rule Ogun. I'm yet to see an enugu man claim "owner of d land" in Onitsha or Aba.
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Ngokafor(f): 12:35pm On Apr 15, 2015
Pdizzle:

Very true. Madam Adichie has her own very smart way of being bias, take deep look into all her articles involving the pogrom, and the way she gulps everything Achebe documented. Considering a story with different angles and account. She has a lecture in which she talked about dangers of single/one sided story, unfortunately she's a victim of it. 'knowing they say, is not enough'

....With all due respect dude,you are not Igbo and therefore would not understand what it felt like to be hacked to death for nothing like during the progrom so shut up and leave Adichie alone...was she supposed to be cheering awolowo up before?...how many yorubas has ever publicly condemned any bad thing a yoruba person ever does like this ijeoma of a girl?..

...Yet look at how an an Igbo woman in the person of Ijeoma stood up for her husbands people..can the same be said of you guys?..

...annoying folks! angry

4 Likes

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by ademijuwonlo(f): 12:35pm On Apr 15, 2015
angelawoko:

https://blogs.premiumtimesng.com/?p=167322
. well said. we need to preach love more and understand we benefit from our coexistence. God has blessed Nigeria with rich cultures and traditions. we are one people even though our tongues may differ. Say no to TRIBALISM in all it forms!!!!
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Ilekeh(f): 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
I have said it several times that it makes no sense calling Lagos a no-man's-land. It is very disrespectful and provocative. What we need is mutual respect to live together. My people should stop all these silly talk of taking over Lagos, that they feed the Yoruba, that others are lazy, all these rubbish don't make any sense.

I also do no support when Yorubas say they are 'accomodating' us. How exactly do they 'accommodate# us? We pay for lands we get, we pay rents for our houses and shops/office spaces, we pay our taxes and all that so I just don't get it. Do they give us these things for free? If they do then they can say they are 'accommodating' us but as far as I know, that statement makes no sense. I can't imagine a british telling another british that he is being 'accommodated' in his own country. embarassed Only in Nigeria will you hear such!

That said, I don't see any need for this unnecessary dislike towards the Yoruba. As far as I know, they are a nice group of people and very wise too. Tribalism cuts across all tribes so let us all not single out a particular tribe. I have lived in the North, SE & SW and I can tell you that I noticed tribalism amongst the Hausa, Yorubas and Igbos! shocked shocked

One love to all. cool

So you can preach like this, yet you prefer to pangolo kakiri all the time?
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by tsdarkside(m): 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2015
NZEGWUAGU:
What else would one expect to read from an Ijeoma Ozichi Omotade? She is married to a Yoruba and would want to pacify them by sounding like mother Theresa. Imagine if Chidinma the popular artiste who speaks impeccable Yoruba but I am sure cannot say bia does a write-up about the case in point. Are you going to be amiss as to who her sentiments would favour? I am sure Ozichi cannot say bia because she does not know it. All those wayward Imo people that travel and do not return home why would they not have started reasoning and behaving like the Yorubas already? We Igbos call them 'ala bu otu' meaning that the whole earth is one and that where ever you are is as good as anywhere else so there is no need to bother about ancestral homes. Lagos is a no-man's land just like Abuja. If the aboriginal Lagosians did not get properly compensated by the federal government they should request for it the way the Ggagyis, the aboriginal owners of Abuja are currently doing and stop disturbing the indigenous Lagos-Igbos.

how dare you,write such a rubbish..... angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by oluamid(m): 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2015
Amack:
you try by marrying a yoruba. nwoke agwugo na ala igbo. my teacher always told us not to associate or trust the yorubas. she gave us an e.g, she said as yorubas cap bend to any side you face it that's how there life is. she warn us that if yoruba man ask you to stay, run and he ask you to run, stay. that why if we call you (okpu yoruba) that's yoruba cap, in our school. People will start seeing you as a saboteur.

Make bold and tell your teacher she's a fucking Tribalist and needs to change.
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by skeendyke: 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2015
iluvweed:

What is this one saying...... undecided
Oloriburuku Flat head!
That is why education is a white elephant project on yorubastards yoru-bats like you. Anuofia.

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2015
I like your article, letter or whatever want to call it, calling lagos a no man's land is indeed disrespectful. But you need to understand that Lagos was once the federal capital of Nigeria. So please dont compare it with Aba and Onitcha as they are not in the same historical perspective.
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Ngokafor(f): 12:41pm On Apr 15, 2015
.....I just hope this attention seeker called Ijeoma Omotade has not bitten off more than she can chew.....sometimes silence is indeed golden.

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by swedbase(m): 12:43pm On Apr 15, 2015
This dirty girl should shut up and face her useless married life with a dirty ofe mmanu. Imagine an efulefu advising the real Igbos
Why don't you go and advice the useless oba first since your married to them. Idiotic efulefu
Lagos is a no man's land. I spent 20m buying a property in Lagos, paying my taxes regularly which 75% of yoruba in Lagos can't afford yet you
want to see me as a foreigner but sees broke ass yorubas as the owner?. Nonsense stupid idiotic girl!

2 Likes

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Alfamann: 12:44pm On Apr 15, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Are you saying that the development we see in Lagos was solely done by us? grin grin grin grin grin Lagos is a cosmopolitan city and was collectively developed by all Nigerians.

Last time I checked, the bulk of the oil that has been used in running this country was from the SS not SE, please stop this self-deception, it will take you nowhere.

WTF is SS?

Before you answer, take a look at this.

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by ArodewilliamsT: 12:46pm On Apr 15, 2015
PassingShot:

Please stop it!

Asaba is predominantly Igbo. We have Igbos in Warri and in all other cities. Are you saying I can't differentiate between an Igbo man and an Itsekiri, Urhobo or Ijaw?

You can't. You are yoruba, so you can't be very good at differentiating eastern tribes.

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by jahjehova(m): 12:46pm On Apr 15, 2015
Why will you throw civility off the window? No one in this thread has been so derogatory as you.

skeendyke:
That is why education is a white elephant project on yorubastards yoru-bats like you. Anuofia.
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by nwanwaoge(m): 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2015
Tell me a tribe hausa loves
politricks:
A million dollar request.

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by iluvweed(m): 12:49pm On Apr 15, 2015
skeendyke:

Now I wish I can see you one on one!.....I wont beat you man!....With the hatred in me, I will KILL you!...I swear!

Aye e de ma Baje ni! Ko de ni da fun gbogbo EBI eh! Oloriburuku omo inna!........ angry

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Adelivinggreat(m): 12:50pm On Apr 15, 2015
Igbo's and their hatred heart plus superiority Some one who
didn't know much will be asking himself some questions " 1-
WHY ARE IGBOS ALWAYS IN QUARREL WITH HAUSAS AND
YORUBAS?", "2- WHY IS IT THAT HAUSAS AND YORUBAS ARE
LIVING MORE CLOSELY IN TERMS OF PEACEFUL
COEXISTENCE?" My answers to question one are, it will not
be a surprise to anyone who knows a little about the
histories of the igbos. among the nigerian major tribes they
are the only tribe that doesn't have a definite social
structure and laws before the advent of the colonials. they
are living just as what the scientists referred to as SURVIVAL
OF THE FITTEST. and they constantly believe that someone
somewhere is working to harm them through charms, even
when nobody cares about them. etc. All this factors helps to
accumulate hatred in the hearts of the igbos. hatred has a
special production section in their hearts which must be
kept at a lower level constantly, through the process of
unleashing it on a supposed enemy (i.e THE HAUSAS). Do not
ever think that, the problem of hatred from the igbos will be
over when this country is divided, NO!. Igbos will turn
against themselves, when there is no supposed enemy (the
hausas), that the igbos can reduce the venom of their hate
on. One of the igbos living in the north testify to this fact, he
says "In case this nation get dissected I will never go back
home but rather remain in the north, even if it means i have
to pray like the muslims do, because my people will not
allow me to continue my business smoothly in the south,
they will try to harm, kill or even kidnap me for ransom" In
this 21st century, igbos are the only nigerian tribe that have
an ethnic party (APGA), on the platform of this party in
igboland, a candidate will be massively elected into office
only if he excels his rivals in the aspect of hating other tribes
during his campaign tours. They also have an ethnic radio
station RADIO BIAFRA, on which hate messages are
constantly spread 24/7. Igbos are the ones that caused the
nigerian civil war, and later on, crying to be the victims of
that war. Igbos are the ones who rig massively against the
president-elect General Buhari, and also close their chances
of holding a significant position in the new government to
come, but i hope they won't cry later, saying "WE ARE
MARGINALISED BY THIS GOVERNMENT" My answer to
question two, Igbos mainly hate the hausas, the only point
that brought the yorubas into the fold of igbos hatred, its by
their alignment and friendship with the hausas. hausas and
yorubas are more closer because an average hausa man
didn't take himself superior to any other tribe. but on the
contrary, Igbos thinks they are superior to any other
nigerian tribe, they even call themselves GOD'S CHOSEN
PEOPLE (NIGERIAN JEWS). So the igbos want the yorubas to
be subservient to their wills and wishes, despite the fact that
the yorubas are more educated than the igbos. and the
yorubas refuses to be so, from then they started calling the
yorubas COWARDS. They forgot the bible tells us in Mark
12:31 "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no
other commandment greater than these.” We also read in
mathew 5:20 "For I tell you, unless your righteousness
exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never
enter the kingdom of heaven." Further a bit in Matthew
chapter 7, verse12 “So whatever you wish that others would
do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the
Prophets." My humble igbo friends dont see this as an attack
on the igbos, but rather look at it as a fact which deserves to
be brought to surface

1 Like

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by jahjehova(m): 12:52pm On Apr 15, 2015
I am yet to see the conducive environment for a yoruba man to make such 20m property in Igboland and not get his hand burnt. It's a challenge - point me one. Gimme me an address of a successful yoruba man in the main market at Faulks road, or Owerri "relief" market. What about the one in Enugu (I have forgotten the name), just gimme me 5 examples and I will give you 5million igbos that have succeded in other lands.

Be truthful to yourself, Can I as a "non-igbo" come out in Onitsha and say it is no mans land??

swedbase:
This dirty girl should shut up and face her useless married life with a dirty ofe mmanu. Imagine an efulefu advising the real Igbos
Why don't you go and advice the useless oba first since your married to them. Idiotic efulefu
Lagos is a no man's land. I spent 20m buying a property in Lagos, paying my taxes regularly which 75% of yoruba in Lagos can't afford yet you
want to see me as a foreigner but sees broke ass yorubas as the owner?. Nonsense stupid idiotic girl!

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by ArodewilliamsT: 12:53pm On Apr 15, 2015
omoharry:
rily? They are not as accommodation as the Yorubas. I serve there so i know better before i did my transfer to Ogun state s.I am from the Niger Delta..dont paint blue and call it white

Oh yeah, how can they 'accomodation' you when you can't even 'accomodation' your brain in your skull after your crappy university have 'accomodation' you for 4 years yet you refused. hilarious!
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by politricks: 12:54pm On Apr 15, 2015
nwanwaoge:
Tell me a tribe hausa loves
After you answer his question
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by shizzleStar: 12:55pm On Apr 15, 2015
Btw, i didn't see what's tribalistic about Chimamandas article, her article was so apt, rational and objective.

Much as this lost soul ijeoma girl tried to sound objective and balance the article, she failed to address a pertinent question. She kept foaming in the mouth talking about reference to Lagos as 'no mans land' bla ..bla..but she conveniently forgot to also address why an igbo man, (Nigerian) living in Nigeria will be referred to by a fellow Nigerian as an 'immigrant' or 'foreigner'. How convenient of her?

And then again why did she chose to refer to Chimamandas article only, what about the senseless letter from the so called 'Yoruba's outside Nigeria' who continuously referee to Igbos in Lagos as 'refugees'? why did she not address that too.?

She conveniently skipped the yoruba letter with all its vitriolic and tirade to tackle Chimamnada who presented a more logical and objective view and reaction to the oba of lagoons unreasonable comment on igbos in lagos.

Ijeoma or whatever, thanks but no thanks. Nice try thou! but we ain't buying your 'peace-making' sermon. Keep kissing arsee to placate the people from your place of marriage but we are not fooled and cant be.

Respect is reciprocal! if Yoruba think they can insult us all in the name of 'you are in our land', and expect us to keep quiet, WRONG! we will insult back in equal measure.

3 Likes

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by IykeChukz(m): 12:56pm On Apr 15, 2015
Needless replying her, She was neutral like you.

I don't see any deference here.

Okay, we just noticed you...

2 Likes

Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by maysimsimple(m): 12:59pm On Apr 15, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
I have said it several times that it makes no sense calling Lagos a no-man's-land. It is very disrespectful and provocative. What we need is mutual respect to live together. My people should stop all these silly talk of taking over Lagos, that they feed the Yoruba, that others are lazy, all these rubbish don't make any sense.

I also do no support when Yorubas say they are 'accomodating' us. How exactly do they 'accommodate# us? We pay for lands we get, we pay rents for our houses and shops/office spaces, we pay our taxes and all that so I just don't get it. Do they give us these things for free? If they do then they can say they are 'accommodating' us but as far as I know, that statement makes no sense. I can't imagine a british telling another british that he is being 'accommodated' in his own country. embarassed Only in Nigeria will you hear such!

That said, I don't see any need for this unnecessary dislike towards the Yoruba. As far as I know, they are a nice group of people and very wise too. Tribalism cuts across all tribes so let us all not single out a particular tribe. I have lived in the North, SE & SW and I can tell you that I noticed tribalism amongst the Hausa, Yorubas and Igbos! shocked shocked

One love to all. cool

God bless u now and forever....
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by quickly: 1:05pm On Apr 15, 2015
swedbase:

Shut up there u no get any money

If u like buy all d land in China it will not make u Chinese or give u any political right

No boxy is begging u for ur taxes u can carry ur taxes wherever u want.

U pay taxes reach coca cola ode

Y r u not proud of where ur from

Oil companies have bought so much land put there facilities in so much locations. Can they say the whole of niger delta is no man's land.?

Always boasting or chest beating about nothing ppl wey sell land r 2 blame.

by the time d film wey u dey cook start u go fit stand watch am?
Re: Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos by Pdizzle(m): 1:05pm On Apr 15, 2015
Ngokafor:

....With all due respect dude,you are not Igbo and therefore would not understand what it felt like to be hacked to death for nothing like during the progrom so shut up and leave Adichie alone...was she supposed to be cheering awolowo up before?...how many yorubas has ever publicly condemned any bad thing a yoruba person ever does like this ijeoma of a girl?..

...Yet look at how an an Igbo woman in the person of Ijeoma stood up for her husbands people..can the same be said of you guys?..

...annoying folks! angry

Well I'm not here to mix words or trade insult, we're talking about an intellectual here making a third person account and you're impressed? Nobody is asking you to cheer Awolowo, there are other accounts of the pogroms written by military igbos, do you even know there was massacre in asaba too?, did you read about the bodies floating on river niger? What actually started it? Nobody is pointing fingers here, and do call that standing up for her tribe? And for your info many Yoruba indigines has and will continue to condemn what the oba said.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Ekweremadu, Abaribe, Dino Melaye With Ahmed Lawan (Photos) / Ohanaeze Reacts To Okorocha's Arrest Order By Governor Ihedioha / God Has Told Me Who Will Become Next President But….. - Primate Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.