Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice (1099 Views)

Why Igbos Are Now Decamping To APC – Official / if you dont know any of these, you shouldn't be discussing nigerian politics / In Defence Of The South South And South East Political Choice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Bekwarra(m): 5:39pm On Apr 15, 2015
This article is not tribalistic and I will appreciate it if it's not being treated as one. It is just an attempt to bare my mind on some salient issues.
The aftermath of the 2015 general election has thrown up a myriad of topics chief among which is the supposed "Igbo bigotry" and "political suicide". As if that's not enough, the intensity with which this seemingly anti-Igbo agenda is being pursued is not only utterly annoying but definitely ridiculous. For crying out loud a people have the right to make a choice in a political setting. The fulcrum and the foundation upon which democratic societies are built is the freedom of choice. Igbos like any other people have a right to make their own socio-political choice without remorse and they should not be victimised or subjected to public opprobrium because of that. It becomes nauseating when people use words like "bias" "sentimental" loosely. I bet a whole lot of them don't actually know what those words mean. Ask a political scientist, he will explain to you better that biases and sentiments can never be removed from politics. That's the major difference between political science and the natural sciences. Sentiments and biases are an integral part of politics. Deciding to vote even without yet choosing the party to vote for; you are bias already. That's what makes us humans. All Nigerians are bias.
The north voted massively for Buhari due to ethno-religious sentiments like they usually do. The South-west were sympathetic to Buhari's cause because the running mate is a Yoruba man and one of the platforms upon which APC was built; the ACN was a dominant party in the region. The Southeast and South-South voted for Jonathan because they see him as being one of their own. I a Yoruba man supported Jonathan because of my bias and sentiments. There is no objectivity in politics. The only thing is to reduce the sentiments to the barest minimum, it can never be expunged in its entirety. So let's cut the Igbo some flaks, it's their choice, let them live with it, no matter what good or regrets that come out of it let them deal with it. They are a bunch of intelligent people so they should be able to weigh the pros and cons of their decision. No political choice should be forced on them.

4 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Humulity: 6:13pm On Apr 15, 2015
Mature submission.
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by BaddieKay(f): 6:40pm On Apr 15, 2015
I Likey this
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by skies(m): 7:01pm On Apr 15, 2015
This OP is so biased and yet claiming he is not. This same
North voted Jona in 2011, I wonder why you claimed it
Was due to ethno religious sentiment. Igbos occupy major
Political position during GEJ administration. Why are they complaining now?
I don't know why you guys keep creating enemies for yourself
Whereve yu go. Keep refering Laagos as no mans land,
We shall soon chase you out like the northerner do

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Ojiofor: 7:18pm On Apr 15, 2015
skies:
the the same northerners are disrespecting your culture and killing them in your so called land and yet the people you can make empty threat to is the peaceful igbos.make una park one side abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:25pm On Apr 15, 2015
skies:

Which North voted for Jonathan? Go school, una no go go. Attached is a map showing states won by GEJ and GMB in 2011 for your education. As for your threat of violence, rescue your brothers and sisters first who are daily murdered and rapeed by Fulani cattle men

They killed some again today - http://www.punchng.com/news/two-die-as-fulani-yoruba-clash-in-kwara/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Bekwarra(m): 7:41pm On Apr 15, 2015
skies:
Attack the message and not the messenger. If you have anything or a contrary opinion, state it explicitly. I'm not an Igbo man, I'm Yoruba through and through so stop referring to me as an Igbo man. Thank you.
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by bobmalu83(m): 8:23pm On Apr 15, 2015
skies:
so name those states that Jonathan won in 2011
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by bobmalu83(m): 8:25pm On Apr 15, 2015
skies:
so name those northern states that Jonathan won in 2011
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 16, 2015
True talk bros..
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by BushidoBlue(m): 7:58am On Apr 16, 2015
I believe that as Nigerians mature democratically, issues like this will be tabled. Many Nigerians are yet to grow above tribal insults and spirit of sportsmanship as regards elections and voting. For starters, majority of Nigerians are not aware that it's not compulsory to "follow the crowd" and even while doing that, it is even necessary to not intimidate any person or group of persons, who choose to vote for someone else irrespective of the location or state.
This is democracy remember that thumb printing on the ballot paper is secret. It is made so in order to give the citizen the right to vote for whoever he/she chooses.
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by omenka(m): 8:07am On Apr 16, 2015
No one is looking to victimise the Igbos. All that huffing and puffing coming out of that axis is simply out fear of being victimised for the choice they made.
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Chiaka(f): 9:18am On Apr 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:
I believe that as Nigerians mature democratically, issues like this will be tabled. Many Nigerians are yet to grow above tribal insults and spirit of sportsmanship as regards elections and voting. For starters, majority of Nigerians are not aware that it's not compulsory to "follow the crowd" and even while doing that, it is even necessary to not intimidate any person or group of persons, who choose to vote for someone else irrespective of the location or state.
This is democracy remember that thumb printing on the ballot paper is secret. It is made so in order to give the citizen the right to vote for whoever he/she chooses.

Its not healthy for the system and economy to vote their choice.

Most of the votes are based on tribal/religious sentiment , SS/SE are same people hence they got similar vote pattern.

Why are their no threads on why the north have the same voting pattern. For peace sake we leave matters the way they are.

I don't think we owe anyone any explanation for voting whoever......its choice and its Nigerian democracy
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by BushidoBlue(m): 10:20am On Apr 16, 2015
Chiaka:

Its not healthy for the system and economy to vote their choice.

Most of the votes are based on tribal/religious sentiment , SS/SE are same people hence they got similar vote pattern.

Why are their no threads on why the north have the same voting pattern. For peace sake we leave matters the way they are.

I don't think we owe anyone any explanation for voting whoever......its choice and its Nigerian democracy

This is exactly what the writer is trying to tell you and which I am expounding; as a citizen of a nation, you have the right to vote whoever you choose based on a certain set of sentiments; be they tribal or religious as you claim, or economic viability of the candidate's manifesto. That is exactly what politics is about, the citizens make up their minds to vote a candidate based on his campaign promises if he is a new candidate, or based on his performance as an incumbent.

Remember that in 2011 Jonathan did not win a single northern state. Where as in 2015 Jonathan lost the south west states which made him lose the elections.

I do not know why there is a lack of expression of voting pattern in the north.

Finally you still came back to say in your last statement, that we owe no explanation to anyone for who we vote for, isn't that what happened in the SE? They also don't owe anyone any explanation for who they chose to vote for. However it becomes worrisome when the trend is to deny people their right of choice as you said in your first sentence. Respect their choice as they have respected yours is the message.
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Orunto: 10:56am On Apr 16, 2015
No group has the Right, culturally and constitutionally to Victimise other groups in Nigeria. And no group has the Right, constitutionally or otherwise to Intimidate their hosts wherever they are. When you are in Rome, behave like the Romans: Proverb 1 for togetherliness............ OBJ ONCE SAID, "AFTERALL, WHY CAN'T WE ALL AGREE TO BE NIGERIANS.
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Gucciboss: 10:59am On Apr 16, 2015
omenka:
No one is looking to victimise the Igbos. All that huffing and puffing coming out of that axis is simply out fear of being victimised for the choice they made.
Foolish yoruba man! Who is afraid of being victimised? and by Who? I'm still baffled as at why yoruba people will see the victory of a Fulani man As their own victory just because of ceremonial powerless vice president.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by egift(m): 11:07am On Apr 16, 2015
OP is crying wolf where there is none. Buhari is yet to even take charge you are already claiming there is an anti-Igbo agenda. Please stop insulting the sensibilities of Nigerians.

If you consider yourself a Nigerian first and not from a tribal perspective, life in Buhari's administration will be a lot easier.
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by egift(m): 11:18am On Apr 16, 2015
The same Campaign of Hate pursued against Buhari before the election, has now been turned to a Campaign of Fear. Characters like the OP should desist from propagating their conspiracies and dragging the whole of Aligbo into the darkness in their hearts and deep seated hates.

The incoming administration presents Nigerians a New Opportunities. Nobody, group or individuals should destroy it for us before it even start.

Sai Ndigbo.
Sai Buhari.
Sai Nigeria.
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by omenka(m): 11:45am On Apr 16, 2015
Gucciboss:

Foolish yoruba man! Who is afraid of being victimised? and by Who? I'm still baffled as at why yoruba people will see the victory of a Fulani man As their own victory just because of ceremonial powerless vice president.
Patrick, Spongebob's best friend, is way more intelligent than you.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by Chiaka(f): 12:03pm On Apr 16, 2015
BushidoBlue:

This is exactly what the writer is trying to tell you and which I am expounding; as a citizen of a nation, you have the right to vote whoever you choose based on a certain set of sentiments; be they tribal or religious as you claim, or economic viability of the candidate's manifesto. That is exactly what politics is about, the citizens make up their minds to vote a candidate based on his campaign promises if he is a new candidate, or based on his performance as an incumbent.

Remember that in 2011 Jonathan did not win a single northern state. Where as in 2015 Jonathan lost the south west states which made him lose the elections.

I do not know why there is a lack of expression of voting pattern in the north.

Finally you still came back to say in your last statement, that we owe no explanation to anyone for who we vote for, isn't that what happened in the SE? They also don't owe anyone any explanation for who they chose to vote for. However it becomes worrisome when the trend is to deny people their right of choice as you said in your first sentence. Respect their choice as they have respected yours is the message.

For now this is what we got. Perhaps subsequent ones will be based on your suggesting which I agree should be the norm I think circumstances made this one so, the society we are in
Re: Why Igbos Shouldn't Be Victimised For Their Electoral/political Choice by zimoni(f): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2015
Enough of this matter jarey.

(1) (Reply)

Imo PDP "Big Shots" That Lost Their Booths / Photos: Hausa Community In Ekiti State Attacked / Man Sells Two-year -old Son For N450,000(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.