Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,923 members, 7,806,683 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! (7911 Views)

Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / He Was Expecting A Range Rover From His Rich In-law (Photos) / Bride-to-be, Mother Were Buried On Her Wedding Day (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by OluwaChinenyenwa: 8:07am On Apr 16, 2015
Amybijou:

Ok. I guess it's time to prove that to you...lolz
May God's will be done my dear. It will be if it is meant to be.
Thank you smiley
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by pickabeau1: 8:13am On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
My mum.wasnt happy but what could she have done??
My dad doesnt like talking about his folks, tried asking but got tired at some point, because its always gon be go to your room kinda answer.
I wasnt bothered while i was young because i had my maternal folks to look onto, i only asked him when i noticed his folks never visited unlike my mums'.

Ok.. at least she was not the me and my husband type of woman
Maybe she should have still reached out though but that is neither here nor there as water has passed under the bridge

Reaching out? Talked with my dad this morning and he asked me to tell my MIL that everything would take place here or she should forget about having any trad marriage.. So i do not think that he wants any sort of reconciliation..

So in even in his old age, he wants no reconciliation with his aged parents and will jeopardise his daughter's chances of happiness

OK

I reiterate however: There is nothing wrong in doing Trad in the fathers place
Children are named through the fathers in Africa
Modernity is why mothers family has so much influence nowadays

Even among the Igbos if I remember correctly, Okonkwo was exiled after the death of his adopted son and spent those years in his mom's place
It was not his first choice

Even in the Bible
Jacob married in his mothers place (Laban) because he has committed a grave sin against his brother

Marrying in your mothers traditional place is not the ideal

I wish you the best however

1 Like

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Thank you smiley

You are always welcome dear.
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by OluwaChinenyenwa: 9:05am On Apr 16, 2015
pickabeau1:

Ok.. at least she was not the me and my husband type of woman
Maybe she should have still reached out though but that is neither here nor there as water has passed under the bridge

So in even in his old age, he wants no reconciliation with his aged parents and will jeopardise his daughter's chances of happiness

OK

I reiterate however: There is nothing wrong in doing Trad in the fathers place
Children are named through the fathers in Africa
Modernity is why mothers family has so much influence nowadays

Even among the Igbos if I remember correctly, Okonkwo was exiled after the death of his adopted son and spent those years in his mom's place
It was not his first choice

Even in the Bible
Jacob married in his mothers place (Laban) because he has committed a grave sin against his brother

Marrying in your mothers traditional place is not the ideal

I wish you the best however
Thanks much..

However, with the comments about walking away on this thread, i just realised maybe this woman doesnt like me much. Met her just once and it wasnt a wonderful experience...

Thanks once again..
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by pickabeau1: 9:36am On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Thanks much..

However, with the comments about walking away on this thread, i just realised maybe this woman doesnt like me much. Met her just once and it wasnt a wonderful experience...

Thanks once again..

I think It is too premature for that conclusion as you don't know her so well

Is your fiancé an only child?
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by amokeme(f): 11:02am On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Thanks, what if the next guy i meet has same trouble? I mean his mother? Will i keep on walking away??
what if he doesn't? be positive too.
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by mcdokwe(m): 11:22am On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Hello Nairalanders..

I don't even know where to start from but this is how it goes.. I and my boyfriend already agreed only on white wedding here in London, but his mother said we need to have a traditional marriage.. I cant because my dad's peeps cut him off when he got married to my mum.. The only grandparents i know are my mum folks and also the only village i call my village is my maternal village.. And now his mum insists that we also do a traditional marriage?? I am losing it.. What do i do?? I have no paternal ties.. How do i go about that? I cant even tell my peeps cause they had mixed feelings initially about my fiance.. I need your help peeps.. What do i tell his mum?

Forgive any typos and incomprehension..
the argument that your dad was cast out might not hold water and is suspect. It might be linked to a more serious thing which could have been squealed to her. She is depending on your refusal to come home to confirm that and make her objections towards the marriage more prominent.

In Africa, traditional marriages are seen as the ultimate, my advice would be that since it isn't you that was cast out and the reason your dad isn't accepted in his home isn't grave, make arrangements to do the traditional rites if you love him enough and then carry on. You wouldn't want him to be rejected by his family too so that the chain continues down to your children, would you?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by oloyede252(m): 11:23am On Apr 16, 2015
fo0lish people everywhere.@op your parent want white wedding--
his parent want traditional wedding---
your parent want the wedding in london
his parent want the wedding in their hometown
your parent dont want to come to their hometown
his parent dont want to come to london for d wedding
so what is absurd cos am stil finding it hard to qualify your conclusion and how is dat not reasonable
Not to forget you call him a mommy's boy?nd u dad nd mom girl.
Fo0lish people everywhere. Nd to those writing story for d gods pls file for divorce
nd stop dish out your stupidity.
Fo0lish people everywhere
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by SAMBARRY: 11:27am On Apr 16, 2015
Your mil is already giving you a preamble or introduction to how overbearing she will be. Exercise your power of choice to either go ahead with the marriage and be ready for wink
Ww wink

or

walk away
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by freecocoa(f): 11:30am On Apr 16, 2015
I, for one, won't marry someone who doesn't know his roots.

There's just something off about it.

5 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by SAMBARRY: 11:33am On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Thanks much..

However, with the comments about walking away on this thread, i just realised maybe this woman DOESN'T LIKE ME MUCH. MET HER ONCE AND IT WASN'T A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE

Thanks once again..
Need I say more. Op you're on your own. Nobody will make decisions for you. If you enter you already know what to expect
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by crackhaus: 12:09pm On Apr 16, 2015
So let me get this straight:

- Your father, an only son, was disowned for marrying your mother.

- Your father, despite being an only son, stood his ground and turned on his own family instead of trying to make peace with them all these years.

- Now you want to get married, your father literally has no kin or hometown to join in celebrations as they give you out in marriage.

- Your intending MIL, who sounds like a very traditional woman, is insisting that you do your traditional marriage in Nigeria.

- Your father knowing that he doesn't have a hometown to go back to, refuses the request.

- Instead of your father making the attempt and explaining to your intending MIL the circumstances, he is still headstrong and refuses to find a common ground.

Truth be told, your MIL-to-be has not made any absurd request.
People living in farther places like Canada and Australia go home or send representatives to stand in for them during the traditional rites, not to mention London that's in our backyard.
So there's nothing absurd in her request, it's the normal thing...probably she may have even investigated your family and is using this to confirm.
Don't think about doing the traditional marriage in your mother's hometown either...your mother is not a divorcee and your father is alive and still married to her.

All I can say to you Miss OluwaChinenyenwa is that this here is a classic case of "the sins of the father shall be visited on the children..."
Your father successfully alienated himself from his own kinsmen, and probably didn't try making amends - now you are stuck in an almost similar predicament as well.

Do not make the same mistake your father did.
If he can't step in to explain to your fiance's people and try to reach a compromise, which it seems is something he would not even do given his antecedents of being headstrong, then you have no business marrying that guy.

I'm sorry to say, but you either choose to forget this marriage and move on...or you appeal to your father to act as a mediator on your behalf in reaching out to your fiance's family so they can come to an understanding.

Your intending MIL is completely and absolutely right in her request (even though her true intentions might be sketchy)... your father is not a European (passport-holding or not), he is a Nigerian who should/must have traceable roots and that is the way we do things.

Cheers!

16 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by oyibo4real: 1:26pm On Apr 16, 2015
crackhaus:

- Your father, despite being an only son, stood his ground and turned on his own family instead of trying to make peace with them all these years.

- Now you want to get married, your father literally has no kin or hometown to join in celebrations as they give you out in marriage.

- Your intending MIL, who sounds like a very traditional woman, is insisting that you do your traditional marriage in Nigeria.

- Your father knowing that he doesn't have a hometown to go back to, refuses the request.

- Instead of your father making the attempt and explaining to your intending MIL the circumstances, he is still headstrong and refuses to find a common ground.

People living in farther places like Canada and Australia go home or send representatives to stand in for them during the traditional rites, not to mention London that's in our backyard.
So there's nothing absurd in her request, it's the normal thing...probably she may have even investigated your family and is using this to confirm.
Don't think about doing the traditional marriage in your mother's hometown either...your mother is not a divorcee and your father is alive and still married to her.

All I can say to you Miss OluwaChinenyenwa is that this here is a classic case of "the sins of the father shall be visited on the children..."
Your father successfully alienated himself from his own kinsmen, and probably didn't try making amends - now you are stuck in an almost similar predicament as well.

If he can't step in to explain to your fiance's people and try to reach a compromise, which it seems is something he would not even do given his antecedents of being headstrong, then you have no business marrying that guy.

I'm sorry to say, but you either choose to forget this marriage and move on...or you appeal to your father to act as a mediator on your behalf in reaching out to your fiance's family so they can come to an understanding.

Your intending MIL is completely and absolutely right in her request (even though her true intentions might be sketchy)... your father is not a European (passport-holding or not), he is a Nigerian who should/must have traceable roots and that is the way we do things.

Nfact u hv said it all, he who hv ears let him/her hear.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by Ewuro4: 2:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Nope.. He is Yoruba

My dear, friend had a similar case and let me tell you that she took it upon herself to search for her paternal grandparents in Nigeria. Her father wasn't even aware of his folks demise, this young lady met her grand aunts and her cousins. Even though they aren't that buoyant, they didn't ask for anything and still blessed her Union and that was it.

Do this if you can but if it's too much and mama is adamant on her quest, then ask your maternal grandparents.

As a parent , I want to know my kid spouses' roots as well so I don't think she's asking for too much.

I wish you best of luck. You need it. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by kaboninc(m): 2:23pm On Apr 16, 2015
pickabeau1:

You ask too many unnecessary and irrelevant questions. Hope am not the first to tell you.... cool

crackhaus:
Cheers!

Miss OluwaChinenyenwa I wanted to say (or write) something but this guy up there, did it for me.

You better know that you have a root, and your root has a culture and that culture is your identity.

Like Ewuro4 said, maybe you can try finding relatives from your paternal ancestry. They could help with answers as to why your dad is not in good terms with his family.

3 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by pickabeau1: 2:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
kaboninc

It seems you are suffering from diarrhea of the brain
Last I checked.. u were not paying for my data
If its worrying you, you can jump into the lagoon

2 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by kaboninc(m): 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
pickabeau1:
kaboninc

It seems you are suffering from diarrhea of the brain
Last I checked.. u were not paying for my data
If its worrying you, you can jump into the lagoon

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

No be only you waka come ni. cool

That person wey like your comment follow you come.

Okay...

That's all.

[size=18pt]But I said the damn truthhh[/size]

Deal with it bro.... cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by pickabeau1: 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
kaboninc:

[s]grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
No be only you waka come ni. cool
That person wey like your comment follow you come.
Okay...
That's all.
[size=18pt]But I said the damn truthhh[/size]
Deal with it bro.... cheesy cheesy cheesy[/s]

You said nothing dude
All the smileys indicate your obtuseness
just drop it and move on with your tail btw your legs
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by kaboninc(m): 3:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
pickabeau1:

You said nothing dude
All the smileys indicate your obtuseness
just drop it and move on with your tail btw your legs

In as much as you try with your fuming mad anger to cancel my comments, you couldn't cancel this:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[size=18pt]Instead, you bind them together like they bind witches in your village.[/size]

I do not want to derail this thread. So this is my last comment to you.

We'll meet some other time but do know I 'r'ove 'l'ou so much that I'm bold enough to tell you your weakness.

I wish someone will do same to me. cry cry cry cry

Ciao!

2 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by pickabeau1: 3:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
who is this stalker undecided
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by cococandy(f): 3:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Thanks, but the mum asked to come home? Why do i have to go home and do the trad? Does she have any other motive? She is supposed to be in London for the white wedding but she changed her plans and said we have to do trad first of all which is going to be in Nigeria? undecided
This is ridiculous, going home for traditional marriage? When i can have one here?
Well ask her first if she would be fine with representatives coming to stand in for you and your fiancé. If she agrees to that, then probably she has no other motives.
If you ask me, I wouldn't even suspect her of any other motives than that she would like to really know the family her son is marrying from. Which is not a bad thing.

Like some folks suggested, you can also ask your dad to help you locate his family. I really don't want to sound like I'm being rude to your dad but Na wa for him sha. Will he insist on not talking to his people even if it affects his kids?
his family members too are hard of heart. Your mom's only sin was being from another tribe yet until now that you're adult probably over two decades old,they won't relate with him for marrying her.
Such deep tribal hatred. What of his mom your grandma? She let her son go forever just for marrying a woman from another tribe?
At least they say mother's love is strong abi? Hmm

Pls don't judge your fiancé's mom harshly. I would be worried if my son was marrying from a line of such heart hardened folks.

If your dad and his folks won't make up, your only choice is your mom's folks. That's could be the only solution for you. Or will you keep leaving Fiancé after Fiancé? Unless you marry a non-african, most men you meet will want a traditional marriage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by bukatyne(f): 4:01pm On Apr 16, 2015
pickabeau1:

An only child dilemma...

Has your father made any moves over the years to reach out to his father and mom and what was the result of such overtures

Your mum gave u an account //// Have u asked your dad

Did your mum ever attempt to reach out to her inlaws knowing she was married to an only child or she was happy with the state of things

Speak to your father

This may be the opportunity for him to reach out after all these years

There is nothing absurd in holding trad at home

How can the mother reach out when the father is not in good terms?

Is she trying to prove that she is a 'good' wife?

She can only appeal to her husband and if he doesn't bulge, na OYO be that

1 Like

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by pickabeau1: 4:01pm On Apr 16, 2015
ok
bukatyne:

How can the mother reach out when the father is not in good terms?

Is she trying to prove that she is a 'good' wife?

She can only appeal to her husband and if he doesn't bulge, na OYO be that
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by bukatyne(f): 4:23pm On Apr 16, 2015
@OP:

Your MIL is not wrong asking for a traditional wedding:

From your posts, there seems to be two issues:

a. Your MIL wants you both to come to Nigeria to do it
b. Your dad is not in good terms with his family so you do not know where to do it.

A. Is your MIL open to doing it abroad? Is she open to people representing you both or doing without you? Or must it be in Nigeria?
If it must be in Nigeria, must it be your father's place? Can you do it at your parents' current location (Yorubas are generally not hung up on bride's village; it's more of bride's parent location)

B. Is your dad open to re-engaging his parents?
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by jnrprof(m): 4:27pm On Apr 16, 2015
Last time i checked, in yoruba culture its the bride's family that calls the shots for the wedding. Let your parents tell your MIL that the traditional wedding is taking place in London and that's that!

OluwaChinenyenwa:
Hello Nairalanders..

I don't even know where to start from but this is how it goes.. I and my boyfriend already agreed only on white wedding here in London, but his mother said we need to have a traditional marriage.. I cant because my dad's peeps cut him off when he got married to my mum.. The only grandparents i know are my mum folks and also the only village i call my village is my maternal village.. And now his mum insists that we also do a traditional marriage?? I am losing it.. What do i do?? I have no paternal ties.. How do i go about that? I cant even tell my peeps cause they had mixed feelings initially about my fiance.. I need your help peeps.. What do i tell his mum?

Forgive any typos and incomprehension..

2 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by Miami11: 4:42pm On Apr 16, 2015
Hire some people to act as your dads people smh
Or get family friends to act as your father's kin

My mother in law was hell bent on having one as she even said I was from the wrong tribe as she says pretending to be her tribe

My paternal families also did not accept my mum
So my traditional had only my moms side families and it worked and dad
Only you and hubby decide what you want.
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by hahn(m): 5:23pm On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
My father's family cant be involved cause they don't even know me.. The rift was between my father and his folks. Ok this is it, my father is the only child. During his service year, he met my mum who is igbo and stuffs led to stuffs and they started talking about marriage which his father refused because mum is igbo.. His father cut him off when he finally got married to my mum and its been that way till date. Never been to my dad's place, dont even know where the place is cause he doesnt even talk about it..
The infos i got was from my mum.

My parents would like to do the traditional marriage only if its going to be in London, but my MIL said she wants us to come back home?? Isnt that absurd??

Leave. You deserve a real man, not a mama's boy.

Unless the mother is going to sponsor the whole trip to your town and back to London plus everything that has to do with the trad. However, if you follow through with her wishes don't be surprised when you come back home one day and find your kids with tribal marks grin
Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by taryour(f): 5:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
My father's family cant be involved cause they don't even know me.. The rift was between my father and his folks. Ok this is it, my father is the only child. During his service year, he met my mum who is igbo and stuffs led to stuffs and they started talking about marriage which his father refused because mum is igbo.. His father cut him off when he finally got married to my mum and its been that way till date. Never been to my dad's place, dont even know where the place is cause he doesnt even talk about it..
The infos i got was from my mum.

My parents would like to do the traditional marriage only if its going to be in London, but my MIL said she wants us to come back home?? Isnt that absurd??

No it is NOT absurd.. Nigeria ia your country and your fatherland. Its your fathers country and fatherland either he was cut off by his father or not. You still related to them by blood and nothing will change that. Come home to your fatherland and do your traditional wedding ( it can be on a very low key ) let your dowry be paid.

Either you do that or you walk out. The engagement doesn't have to be done in your father side or mother side. You can get a small hall or open filed anywhere in lagos and have it done.

2 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by capricun: 6:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
He is. His mum still dictates his moves, well not every moves.. His mother knows i am not the kinda girl she is gonna want to mess with

This one never ready to marry.

You don't need the advice

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 16, 2015
First off your dad is right.
Culturally you are Yoruba and you are the bride. You determine the location of the traditional.
Your mother-in-law knows this since your fiancé is Yoruba too.

So her instance on trad in Nigeria when culturally 'awon na wa toro iyawo' has veiled meaning.

Your dad maybe hard hearted but that issue with his family was his decision. Your mum in law does not want to have her son marry into a family whose Yoruba relatives she does not see or know. I don't think using your marriage to force your dads hand to reconcile with his roots is reasonable of her.

It was her son who made the decision to get back with you and marry you.

You and your fiance need to sit down and talk about your future without parental influence or else these scenarios will come up in the future.

If you do decide to reach out to your dads side do it because you want to get to know them. But brace yourself though you may be in for some strong issues that your dad may not want to clarify

4 Likes

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by bennyrazz: 8:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
OluwaChinenyenwa:
Organise the trad wedding? Where? My father's compound? I am supposed to be from Ogun state but i dunno where that is to start with.
She can always have the jolly frenzy during the white wedding na angry
I think her demand is silly.. I am the one getting married to her son not her ..
whichever way it goes, I would like you to learn one thing which is "humility".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soon To Be Mother In Law Insists On Traditional Marriage!!! by taryour(f): 8:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
capricun:

This one never ready to marry.

You don't need the advice

I tell you. And am not surprised at all. And this is how the resentment and unnecessary defense starts. Soon we will here how it turned out physical with your mother inlaw.

For the LOVE OF GOD young lady you are yet to be married and you already carrying this dirty and nasty thought up in your head.

Its just so so unfortunate. Good luck to you in your quest.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

URGENT ADVICE PLEASE, MY MARRIAGE IS CRASHING / Couples Competition / An Open Letter To Parents On Children's Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.