Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date (44182 Views)

Patience Jonathan May Forfeit Her Hotel To FG Over $20m Accounts / Jonathan's May 28 Handover Date A Plot To Invite A Military Coup. / Jonathan & Buhari Set To Clash Over Proposed May 28 Handover Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by oluvick(m): 3:01pm On Apr 16, 2015
Erudite lawyer and human rights activist, Femi Falana, SAN, has faulted the decision of President Goodluck Jonathan to formally handover to President-elect Muhammadu Buhari on May 28, noting that it would create a power vacuum for the few hours between when he hands over and the morning of May 29 when his successor will be formally sworn-in as the president.

Just yesterday, Minister of Information, Mrs. Patricia Akwashiki, while briefing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, disclosed that President Jonathan would formally handover to his successor, Muhammadu Buhari on May 28 at a dinner.

She added that he had directed all ministries, departments and agencies, MDAs, of the federal government to submit their handover briefs to the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, on or before April 20.

But speaking on the May 28 handover date preferred by Jonathan, the Senior Advocate asserted that the new date was a deviation from the law as a void would be created should he go ahead and handover before Buhari’s swearing in.

According to him, “As far as the law is concerned, President Jonathan is in charge of the country until May 29. He cannot cut short his presidency in the name of handing over the day before at a dinner, as there is no provision for a vacuum.

“He is the president till the morning of May 29 when Buhari takes the oath of office. There is no provision for a vacuum of eight or nine hours, and I am sure the president will be properly advised,” Falana stated.

http://dailypost.ng/2015/04/16/falana-faults-jonathans-decision-to-hand-over-on-may-28/

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by SeverusSnape(m): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
That "power vacuum" Can be filled by me.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 16, 2015
Jabber jabber! !!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by cbrass(m): 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
what's wrong with Jonathan handing over on may29. sef. abi is he planning to run away the following day or what

76 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by ozoigbondu: 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
Power vaccum is not good for our democracy a lot can happen in 24 hours cheesy thats politics for you cheesy

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
SeverusSnape:
an empty head like you in the helms of Nigeria affairs even for 5seconds will be a catastrophic disaster for Nigeria and to Africa at large.

@topic. I hope gej is not trying to play any games with us. I don't trust that man for 1second. Who knows, gej might have put up a plan with the military to take over power between the 24hours that buhari will be sworn in because that gej is one conniving hypocrite. Anyway we have our eagle eyes fixated on him.

183 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by lolababe331e: 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2015
A power vacuum even for a few hours is a dangerous thing. GEJ must wait and hand over in the 29th like the law stipulates

24 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by SHARIAREPORTERS: 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2015
Whoz dis femi falana?

12 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Jeffoo(m): 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2015
hope GEJ isn't planning a coup

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by SeverusSnape(m): 3:32pm On Apr 16, 2015
kastonkastrol:
an empty head like you in the helms of Nigeria affairs even for 5seconds will be a catastrophic disaster for Nigeria and to Africa at large.

@topic. I hope gej is not trying to play any games with us. I don't trust that man for 1second. Who knows, gej might have put up a plan with the military to take over power between the 24hours that buhari will be sworn in because that gej is one conniving hypocrite. Anyway we have our eagle eyes fixated on him.
I wish I had your time now, I'm very busy. Though your comment got me laughing...

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by anwe: 3:39pm On Apr 16, 2015
Chanji !
Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by cbrass(m): 3:41pm On Apr 16, 2015
SeverusSnape:
I wish I had your time now, I'm very busy. Though your comment got me laughing...

kastonkastrol is right. a nation must have a president within 24hrs and we all know. that GMB isn't yet a president on May 28

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by SeverusSnape(m): 3:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
cbrass:

kastonkastrol is right. a nation must have a president within 24hrs and we all know. that GMB isn't yet a president on May 28
Did I say he wasn't right?

1 Like

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by sosanova: 4:02pm On Apr 16, 2015
how does that make 1Naira equal to 1dollar as Buhari promised

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Williamso(m): 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2015
But that's true. It actually crossed my mind. Handing over on the 28th will create a power vacuum for some hours that can lead to a constitutional crisis which can lead to a military takeover, after all a country must have a leader

But that's just me being pessimistic. Hopefully, it'll turn out fine in the end. Hakuna Matata

6 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by lonelydora: 4:03pm On Apr 16, 2015
GEJ, any attempted attempt to try anything FUNNY as you plan to handover on 28th.............hmmmmm. Be well advised.

11 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by dandydrey(m): 4:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
can't believe i wasted my time reading this crap....mtchewwwwww

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Texcoco(m): 4:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
Don't see what the fuss is all about....The illiterate cowherder can't wait to get in the driver seat,law or no law,you cannot deny him his Ferrari rights although it will be bemusing to observe this country on autopilot in the vacuum hours before 29...We could just take over Aso rock and nobody will be wiser.

2 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by dandydrey(m): 4:04pm On Apr 16, 2015
u might as well call this "[size=20pt]WIND OF CHANGE[/size]" nah grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by egift(m): 4:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
Jonathan's last act is another illegality - Something that has been a blueprint of his administration.

A 24hrs is more than enough for someone to fill in the gap and that is Coup.

19 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by dammytosh: 4:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
SeverusSnape:

God forbid Nigeria have a leader like you in 1minute not to talk for a single day,

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Pachesky(m): 4:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
kastonkastrol:

with all due respect sir, from your post I think you are the one with the "empty head"
A plan with the military to take over power 24hrs after handing over to a man he called to congratulate without hesitation thus averting untold and needless post election violence that was glaringly obvious at the time and further receiving accolades for his noble gesture both at home and from the international community, wouldn't be so stupid to go ahead with your "Fears" thereby achieving the very same chaos he desperately tried to avert.
don't you think.....

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by dunkem21(m): 4:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
Make dem no come collect am na ..

GEJ sent a new precedence. He will hand over even before his tenure elapses.

He told me personally that he will love to hand over on April 28 if he is to have his way. He has literally moved out of Aso rock.

Falana can have the left over power hours and write his name in history.

3 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by chynie: 4:06pm On Apr 16, 2015
Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Olamitisoji(m): 4:06pm On Apr 16, 2015
Our amiable out going President will do nothing of what you haters are thinking. A hand over to the Military that's stupidest thought anyone could ever levy on Nigeria's Most President, a President the stopped post-election crisis that should be ravaging Nigeria now, have you all forgotten his one call that saved the lives of our families, friends and relatives out there. A call Buhari should have made in the 2011 general elections that would have saved lives of our Corp Members serving their nation, that would have saved hard earned properties of citizens, have you forgotten so quick. Instead, Buhari made a barbaric statement that lit up crisis all over the country back then. A man who has proven to be democratic can't hand over to the Military. Read the pages of newspapers, he surprised the lawmakers yesterday by refusing to sign the amended 1999 constitution, one a ground that he won't make rational decisions that will plunge the coming in government which might affect Nigerians at large. How then can such a man hand over to the Military. He who speaks with high emotions speaks rubbish.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Aregs(m): 4:06pm On Apr 16, 2015
Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by donsmall94(m): 4:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Oziddy: 4:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
Y
Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by mashnino(m): 4:07pm On Apr 16, 2015
Jeffoo:
hope GEJ isn't planning a coup

exactly what came to mind...

9 hours is too expensive...

very expensive...

4 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by geedeex2(m): 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2015
This falana man sef... too much of law is worrying this man jare

7 Likes

Re: Falana Faults Jonathan’s May 28 Handover Date by Jowonloju(m): 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2015
Na una vote the Man out, now nna dey fear to allow the man leave. Naija we no just trust ourselves.

26 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Graphic Photos From The Boko Haram Suicide Blast In Damaturu Today / FFK Questions Why Naira And Army Coat Of Arms Have Arabic Inscriptions On Them / Kolapo Olusola Emerges As PDP Governorship Candidate In Ekiti Ahead Of 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.