Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,208 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong (767 Views)

Opinion!! Was President Buhari Visit To America A Flop? / President Yar'adua - 3 Years Remembrance / Is President Yar'adua Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong by McKren(m): 3:16am On Jan 30, 2009
CNN NEWS SITE
President Bush Goes on Vacation
Aired August 3, 2001 - 16:21   ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.
DONNA KELLEY, CNN ANCHOR: President Bush marking the first six months of his administration by reflecting on his victories. At a speech at the White House rose garden about two hours ago, Mr. Bush thanked his supporters. And he also marked the passage earlier this year of an across-the-board income tax cut, as well as action in Congress on education, energy and health insurance legislation.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GEORGE W. BUSH, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: Together with Congress, we're proving that a new tone, a clear agenda and active leadership can bring significant progress to the nation's capital. We're ending deadlock and drift and making our system work on behalf of the American people.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KELLEY: The president promised to return to Washington next month with new policy ideas. President Bush departs tomorrow, Saturday, for his summer vacation. He's expected to spend most of August at his ranch in Crawford, Texas: population about 700.

If Mr. Bush returns to Washington on Labor Day, as expected, he'll tie the modern record held by Richard Nixon for presidential time away on vacation at one stretch: 30 days. Ronald Reagan took trips up to 28 days in length, and CNN senior political analyst William Schneider is joining us to look at presidential time off.

Hi, Bill. It's four weeks for the president. So this is a record?

WILLIAM SCHNEIDER, CNN SR. POLITICAL ANALYST: It looks like a record. But it's typical for a president to take off most of the month of August as long as there is no national crisis or international situation that demands his attention. I think people believe the president can function perfectly well at home, on vacation, just as long as he's in charge of any problem that emerges.

KELLEY: Sure. And have you heard? Is he doing any working on his vacation? I think he's going to do a couple of things, isn't he?

SCHNEIDER: Certainly he's going to do some work on vacation. He says he's going to prepare some new policy ideas for when he come back to Washington at the end of August. You know, a White House is really a movable operation. It used to be moved to Kennebunkport, and to Santa Barbara for Ronald Reagan, to Plains, Georgia -- it happens all the time. In fact, the entire press corps -- the White House press corps goes with the president and they cover it just as if it were in Washington.

KELLEY: Yes, that's right. You know, Bill, we do a live chat in the morning when we go and we do one in the afternoon here with live chat. "Why does President Bush get a full month of vacation?" Jay Best wants to know.

SCHNEIDER: Well, as president of the United States, I mean, he gets a vacation comparable to what other professional Americans get. A month is not an unusual vacation. A lot of working Americans get just two weeks, but I think it's not unusual for a president to get a month's vacation. Many presidents, Bill Clinton, rarely took a month. Clinton would take about two weeks. Interestingly, Clinton didn't have a permanent residence. He had always lived in the governor's mansion, so he had to rent places in Martha's Vineyard or in upstate New York. But Bush has a ranch in Texas. He's going back to his ranch for a few weeks, and that's not at all unusual.

KELLEY: OK, another live chat question for you, Bill. From Koreed Imam: "When presidents go on vacation, who is in charge?"

SCHNEIDER: The president. He's still president of the United States. If there's a crisis, the president's in charge. The vice president and other cabinet officials may take on more immediate responsibilities. But essentially the answer is: the president's in charge.

And presidents have occasionally gotten into trouble when a crisis breaks and the president's on vacation and doesn't respond immediately. The president has got to be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even when he is on vacation.

KELLEY: OK, another live chat question for you from Sid Barrett: "Does Bush plan on spending his whole vacation at the ranch?"

Have you heard?

SCHNEIDER: I have heard yes, that he is going to be in Crawford, Texas. Interesting place, that's where he has his ranch. Very hot down there. I'm not sure a lot of Americans would like to go to the middle of Texas for their vacations, but obviously he has a spread that he likes being at, he feels comfortable.

It's very much the way Ronald Reagan would go back to Santa Barbara and essentially the whole White House operation would move there. He wants to be at a place where he feels at home.

KELLEY: Yes, and maybe a couple of trips while he's there, is what I thought I'd seen earlier, that maybe he might make a trip or something like that, but then be back at the ranch at night.

Comment next. Dawn Ott (ph) says: "With all that Bush accomplished this week, doesn't he deserve a vacation?"

Of course, Bill, he's coming off of a solid set of wins this week.

SCHNEIDER: Yes, he's done very well. I think it's very good news for him that he's going on vacation at a time when his presidency is looking up. Even his poll ratings, according to "The Washington Post," have been going up.

It would be a very different story if he had suffered a series of defeats, because then there would be a full month of August in which all of the commentators and the pundits would say: "Oh, my God, his presidency is in failure. What went wrong?" And there would be a lot of people chewing over the problems this administration faces. But now it looks like he has gotten a fresh start and he can afford to relax.

KELLEY: You bet. But you're working out in Los Angeles.

SCHNEIDER: Absolutely.

KELLEY: Bill Schneider, our senior political analyst. Thank you very much.

TO ORDER A VIDEO OF THIS TRANSCRIPT, PLEASE CALL 800-CNN-NEWS OR USE OUR SECURE ONLINE ORDER FORM LOCATED AT www.fdch.com 

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0108/03/ns.02.html
Re: Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong by Kobojunkie: 3:20am On Jan 30, 2009
First off. Please tell me this is a joke -- I mean you trying to draw some comparison between the habits of the american president and what we have for a president in Nigeria. PLEASE, for goodness sake, tell me this is a joke!!
Re: Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong by McKren(m): 3:31am On Jan 30, 2009
I have drawn our attention to the American situation because the current constitution is modelled arround the American constitution.

I think emotions are flying and people are getting excersized because we 'think' we know the President is sick. Well his looks lately suggests as much.
But if the President claims to be well and the Senate President does not think he has any reason to subject the President to health check then no one has got any proof.

As for the quigmire in the Senate, I think the content of the press release by Yayale Ahmed (SGF) may have given more rise to the controversy than the position of the constitution itself. Maybe all the SGF needed to say was the President was proceeding on holiday, he did not need to suggest someone else is in charge.

Even section 145 of the constitution which says
145. Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.

The bit in bold suggests its the prerogative of the President to inform the NASS that the VP should be in charge.

'whenever' does not mean 'must'.

If anything the President's handlers bungled the situation again and if their is anything we should be worried about it is why he is going on holiday since he is not sick in the midst of our crashing economy.
Re: Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong by McKren(m): 3:37am On Jan 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

First off. Please tell me this is a joke -- I mean you trying to draw some comparison between the habits of the american president and what we have for a president in Nigeria. PLEASE, for goodness sake, tell me this is a joke!!

I am not joking, see answer above.

The issue is more of a constitutional crisis than a Presidential habit.

To better understand where the very ambigous section 145 of our constitution might be heading to requires refering to American constitution which is mainly the backbone of our constitution.

I think we should ignore the trivialities of whether Yar'adua writes a letter to David Mark or not and hold him to task on running the Govt. which has been so sluggish on everything.

Well just my opinion for now, your interpretation of section 145 is welcome and I am willing to agree if you convince me to accept otherwise
Re: Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong by FrankC3: 11:03am On Jan 30, 2009
I am struggling to take my eyes off the incompetence of the man at the center and focus on the constitutional issue at hand. The constitution specifies in section 145 thus:

"Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President."

I am not a lawyer, but to my mind, this section struggles to stop any possible instance of usurpation by the vice president, the job of the president. The emphasis here is on voluntary declaration and i sympathize with the constitution to that extent. The main issues here are 'declaration' (which i think was done by the presidency) and to 'them' which the constitution states must be to the senate/Speaker, House of Reps. Te presidency instead 'declared' to the press. The manner of the declaration shall be written and it is after then that the president shall be taken to be on vacation, otherwise the senate is right to say that he 'absconded'.

It is high time we started asking questions of this loud-mouthed AGF and other concerned law officers of this 'federation' what they are doing. The president may not really be wrong as a person here, but is legal team are(this is to my mind) and not only do Nigerias deserve to demand accountability to them, but also demand the right thing to fromt he president- which i think is a summary sack of the legal team, i mean all!!!

I may be wrong though, the lawyers may have a contrary opinion on this.
Re: Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong by McKren(m): 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2009
Thats another valid question, why did they go to the press rather than the senate.

Political expediency over doing what is right.
Re: Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong by Moves: 6:34pm On Jan 30, 2009
What advice can AGF give, the Guy is Cluless, His is too busy collecting kickback from eX-thieving Govs to care, has he commented on this issue NO, he doesnt deem it important enough, On the Other hand I think that the powerful Cabal surrounding the president does not want the VP near that office at all, hence the manner in which the president went about the vacation matter, Hence making the VP incapable of making a decision so for the next 2 weeks all act of governance is stalled, Anyway no one will notice, I sincerely doubt that there is no ulterior motives behind this, as if this is a mistake then the AGF should be made to answer,
Re: Was President Yar'adua Really Wrong by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 30, 2009
Goodluck is as useless as his Boss.

The real reason Yar'adua chose him is because he waits on the line doing nothing even though the rest of the world is tumbling. Remember how he handled the Alamesiegha situation.

So never expect anything from Jonathan, he will not speak nor react. That is his kind of politics. It is good to some degree though.

(1) (Reply)

Sorry Seem Hard To Say / Outrageous: Nasarawa Budgets 18million Naira Annually On Governor's Lions / Shi'ite islamic group stockpile arms for war in kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.