Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:42 AM

The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon (16917 Views)

I Just Lost My Fiancee To A Bad Prank Gone Wrong...women Are Selfish / Can This Happen In Nigeria?pix) UNCONDITIONAL LOVE / Why Are Men So Selfish During Sex? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Bonethugss: 3:40am On Apr 19, 2015
This is wow, thumbs up...
I So love intelligent people...
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by ELITE0911(m): 3:45am On Apr 19, 2015
the op is a bloody cynic, and a smart one. he forgets that emotion and logic are two things that never mix, and yet he has based his arguments on logic. It is a well established fact that man cannot define his own thought one can only assumes, "the more a man tries to capture himself in his own definition, the more and more he drowns himself in his own confusion" and that's what the op has tried to do. So if op is incapable of unconditional love, he should at least not insult the idea of it. so for those who believe in unconditional love go on, and the brother above me looking for loophole here it is.....
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by oscoxa214(m): 4:03am On Apr 19, 2015
Oahray:
WARNING: This post is veeeeery long. There, you don't have to repeat that obvious fact. Cheers.

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE?
Very often, we hear people talk so much about unconditional love - from the starry eyed teenager building webs of fantasy, to the married partner sobered up by chunks of unpalatable reality, to the religious zealot who relishes the thought of being a recipient of divine affection without having to lift a finger.

The general consensus in basically every circle is that love could actually be unconditional.

Well, you might have to step out of the box of mainstream ideology and put on your thinking cap for this. Our first stop... The dictionary.

Unconditional
- "not conditional or limited : absolute , unqualified." - Merriam Webster dictionary

- "Not subject to any conditions." - Oxford dictionary

- "Not limited by or depending on any conditions." Longman dictionary

Condition
- "something essential to the appearance or
occurrence of something else : prerequisite" - Merriam Webster dictionary.

- "a situation or state of affairs that must exist before something else is possible." - Oxford dictionary.

- "something that must exist or happen first before something else can happen." - Longman dictionary.

A merger of these definitions would see unconditional love being described as a love that exists or is shown without any condition or limit. In other words, nothing else has to happen to make such a love exist, and nothing can happen that would make it remain stagnant or die. The kind of love that appears from thin air and remains as constant as the sun. How romantic!

The reality though differs, and not slightly. So we shall examine reality together.

Romantic love
Perhaps the most popular of all types of love, is the one between a man and a woman (the not so straight wouldn't like that description very much). Thus at our very first stop, we collide with our first condition for romantic love - the object of our affection must be of the opposite sex (for the straight) or same sex (for the homosexual). Even those who claim to be bi-curious have their preference.

After that first condition has been met subconsciously, we start to look at other areas that may turn out to be deal breakers for us. Ever wondered why we don't fall in love with everyone we know? Unconditional love means you can love that unclad lunatic every bit as much as that smart, good looking man or woman who shows you nothing but care. No?

Let's look at a purer love then...

A parent's love
Quite simply, the reason a parent loves her child is because it's her child.

Mothers are undeniably the face of parental love, and the reason isn't far fetched. They are generally more expressive of their love. So fathers, bear with my illustration.

Take a moment to think about your mother. Now imagine you are her only child. One evening you are playing with other kids in your compound and armed men burst in. They inform everyone that they are there to kill every child in the compound, but because of some reason I don't know, they give your mother the opportunity to choose just one child to be saved. Which child would your mother pick over you?

Unconditional love means that it doesn't matter that the child nearest to you isn't your mother's child, she can save him/her instead of you. Would she? No?

For the religious, specifically Christians, let's look at an even purer love.

God's love
"God is love" says the Bible. John 3:16 says he loved the world so much that he sent his only begotten son. For many, that screams unconditional love. Just pause for a minute and complete the verse. The benefit of that love, eternal life, is hinged on faith in Jesus, or else destruction. A limitation or not?

Well let's go further than that. How many animals are promised such eternal life on the basis of faith in Jesus? The answer shows that man is unique, and why not? He was created in God's image. That in itself, is a condition that gives man the edge over animals. No artist would let a rascally child destroy his masterpiece without doing something about it.

Psalm 11:5 says that God hates anyone who loves violence. That makes it plain. Our desires and resultant actions can lose us God's love. Unconditional love?

Love for total strangers
This probably is the closest one can get to unconditional, for the recipient of the love shown is not the person's creation neither is he a relative or friend. However there still is a condition.

Imagine a man who braves blazing fire to get into a house. He believes there are children in there. As he gets in, he notices a litter of helpless baby rats huddled against a corner trying to get as far away from the flames as possible. Would he stop to save the baby rats or continue the search for the human children?

Your guess is as good as mine. The children would be a priority because they are human. There you have your condition.

LOVE AND SELFLESSNESS
Let me quickly correct a possible perception. This article wasn't written to make love in any form seem selfish or impure.

That man who constantly gives of himself and strives to remain faithful just to make his lady happy, even when she doesn't always appreciate it...

That faithful woman who gives her all because she genuinely wants the best for her man, even when there's that lingering possibility that she might lose it all in a blink.

That father who would rather take a bullet in the head than let his family members get hurt, or jumps into a river when he cannot swim, because he cannot watch his child drown...

That mother who would ferociously stand between her child and death, and do whatever it takes...

That person who believes that every other human should be given another shot at life, against the backdrop of the world's racist, tribalist and xenophobic tendencies...

All these are examples of selfless love which take different forms. Been conditional doesn't make them any less beautiful.

However when one insists that he/she must be loved absolutely, regardless of what he/she does or does not do, it reveals the self-centred nature inherent in most humans. A nature that seeks to receive without having to give anything.

Love can be selfless, love can be true, and love can be enduring. Do your part, make yourself loveable, love selflessly and appreciate the imperfect love shown to you. Maybe we can somehow make the world a better place, at least for those we love.

Just maybe.

© 2015 Oahray
NASO now
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by rman: 4:34am On Apr 19, 2015
ELITE0911:
the op is a bloody cynic, and a smart one. he forgets that emotion and logic are two things that never mix, and yet he has based his arguments on logic. It is a well established fact that man cannot define his own thought one can only assumes, "the more a man tries to capture himself in his own definition, the more and more he drowns himself in his own confusion" and that's what the op has tried to do. So if op is incapable of unconditional love, he should at least not insult the idea of it. so for those who believe in unconditional love go on, and the brother above me looking for loophole here it is.....

You are just trying to look for the difference between six and half a dozen. What created the emotion responsible for the unconditional love you wrote about?

OP is absolutely correct. I have always held this position in all my relationship/interactions and it always worked. What do u want and what is in it for me? Because I figured out early everyone wanted something. Even kids after a certain age stop loving their parents unconditionally. It can argued that food, attention etc is what makes babies cling to their mothers more. So babies too want something.

OPs position can be rationalised for all human dealings. You go to church regularly or pray five times daily, subconsciously, you are only trying to satisfy part of the conditions required for eternal bliss as stipulated by the books.

You give the begger by the road 20 bucks, you only crave the inner desire of the do good effect. Sometimes, giving can be made to look selfish self. You receive 10 folds of whatever you give is the bedrock of the multi billion dollar empire pastors have created.

The beautiful, young, Harvard graduate from the rich Nigerian parents is almost certain not to end up with the agbero at Mushin. Subconsciously we all do it. We prioritise and already figured out what is in it for us before doing anything at all. Ever wondered why beautiful ladies seems to get favour easily from strange men?

In summary, unconditional love is a hoax.

6 Likes

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Adegbodolu1: 5:05am On Apr 19, 2015
Unconditional love?

You must be living in cloud coco land.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Joskiro50: 5:29am On Apr 19, 2015
Someday, somehow, I wish to be diz creative in writing!

Nice one op, thumbs up.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by olalat(m): 5:54am On Apr 19, 2015
The only Love I consider unconditional is the love Almighty has for all his creations. Basically, there are purposes for the existence of each creation. The man, the animals, and the non living objects. We can categorize these into two basic groups. 1. The animate and 2. The inanimates.
You will agree with me all in animates are there for the convenience of animated beings.
Let's now consider the uniformity of Gods provisions for every animals irrespective of the relationship such has with God.
He provide food for every individuals, serving him or not.
There must be a place to live either u serve him or not. Even the lunatics take abode under d bridge or where ever.
Even if its leaf, both man and animals cover their bodies with something.
Base on this three fundamental points, I believe Gods love for us is unconditional.
I STAND TO BE CORRECTED base on superior / logical argument.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by yomi007k(m): 6:06am On Apr 19, 2015
ronald4lif:
The only unconditional love exist between parents to their kids, especially mothers, and sometimes among siblings. Every other love is conditional.
That's conditional. D condition is relation by blood.
Africans can't afford unconditional love,we're just too poor.

2 Likes

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by misreal(m): 6:13am On Apr 19, 2015
ronald4lif:
The only unconditional love exist between parents to their kids, especially mothers, and sometimes among siblings. Every other love is conditional.
wrong wrong wrong.unconditional love exist only between God and man..God loves even abubakar shekau very much..
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by misreal(m): 6:15am On Apr 19, 2015
olalat:
The only Love I consider unconditional is the love Almighty has for all his creations. Basically, there are purposes for the existence of each creation. The man, the animals, and the non living objects. We can categorize these into two basic groups. 1. The animate and 2. The inanimates.
You will agree with me all in animates are there for the convenience of animated beings.
Let's now consider the uniformity of Gods provisions for every animals irrespective of the relationship such has with God.
There must be a place to live either u serve him or not. Even the lunatics take abode under d bridge or where ever.
Base on this three fundamental points, I believe Gods love for us is unconditional.
I stand to agree with you based on the love of God upon my life.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by segend(m): 6:22am On Apr 19, 2015
I had this argument with a friend recently. The truth is that all love is based on a set of conditions, especially romantic love. That's why we all have qualities we are looking for in a mate. what we are in love with is the qualities, the person is just fortunate to have them, and if peradventure the person loses those qualities, the love wanes. That's why some men will lose interest in a lady when she loses shape, and some will lose interest if he finds out that she is dishonest or had a bad past. And some ladies will lose interest if the guy's wealth is gone. The only love that is unconditional is God's love.
Conclusion, know why your spouse loves you, and keep it.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by SpeedyConnect(m): 6:34am On Apr 19, 2015
ELITE0911:
Spare us this tosh bro. The Op's argument is flawless and incontrovertible.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by IbroSaunks(m): 6:36am On Apr 19, 2015
This analysis is too pedantic and the term "unconditional love" should be considered subjectively since that's how it's used 99% of the time. There's a lot more to love than it's definition in the dictionary man. What you've done appears to me similar to working with emotions like they're mathematical theories you're trying to prove or disprove. You're shredding off the term a lot of its meaning.

2 Likes

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by SpeedyConnect(m): 6:47am On Apr 19, 2015
IbroSaunks:
This analysis is too pedantic and the term "unconditional love" should be considered subjectively since that's how it's used 99% of the time. There's a lot more to love than it's definition in the dictionary man. What you've done appears to me similar to working with emotions like they're mathematical theories you're trying to prove or disprove. You're shredding off the term a lot of its meaning.
You have failed to rebut the argument, his thesis still stands
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Nobody: 6:52am On Apr 19, 2015
Oahray:
WARNING: This post is veeeeery long. There, you don't have to repeat that obvious fact. Cheers.

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE?
Very often, we hear people talk so much about unconditional love - from the starry eyed teenager building webs of fantasy, to the married partner sobered up by chunks of unpalatable reality, to the religious zealot who relishes the thought of being a recipient of divine affection without having to lift a finger.

The general consensus in basically every circle is that love could actually be unconditional.

Well, you might have to step out of the box of mainstream ideology and put on your thinking cap for this. Our first stop... The dictionary.

Unconditional
- "not conditional or limited : absolute , unqualified." - Merriam Webster dictionary

Condition

- "a situation or state of affairs that must exist before something else is possible." - Oxford dictionary.

- "something that must exist or happen first before something else can happen." - Longman dictionary.

A merger of these definitions would see unconditional love being described as a love that exists or is shown without any condition or limit. In other words, nothing else has to happen to make such a love exist, and nothing can happen that would make it remain stagnant or die. The kind of love that appears from thin air and remains as constant as the sun. How romantic!

The reality though differs, and not slightly. So we shall examine reality together.

Romantic love
Perhaps the most popular of all types of love, is the one between a man and a woman (the not so straight wouldn't like that description very much). Thus at our very first stop, we collide with our first condition for romantic love - the object of our affection must be of the opposite sex (for the straight) or same sex (for the homosexual). Even those who claim to be bi-curious have their preference.

After that first condition has been met subconsciously, we start to look at other areas that may turn out to be deal breakers for us. Ever wondered why we don't fall in love with everyone we know? Unconditional love means you can love that unclad lunatic every bit as much as that smart, good looking man or woman who shows you nothing but care. No?

A parent's love

Mothers are undeniably the face of parental love, and the reason isn't far fetched. They are generally more expressive of their love. So fathers, bear with my illustration.

Take a moment to think about your mother. Now imagine you are her only child. One evening you are playing with other kids in your compound and armed men burst in. They inform everyone that they are there to kill every child in the compound, but because of some reason I don't know, they give your mother the opportunity to choose just one child to be saved. Which child would your mother pick over you?

Unconditional love means that it doesn't matter that the child nearest to you isn't your mother's child, she can save him/her instead of you. Would she? No?

God's love
"God is love" says the Bible. John 3:16 says he loved the world so much that he sent his only begotten son. For many, that screams unconditional love. Just pause for a minute and complete the verse. The benefit of that love, eternal life, is hinged on faith in Jesus, or else destruction. A limitation or not?

Well let's go further than that. How many animals are promised such eternal life on the basis of faith in Jesus? The answer shows that man is unique, and why not? He was created in God's image. That in itself, is a condition that gives man the edge over animals. No artist would let a rascally child destroy his masterpiece without doing something about it.

Psalm 11:5 says that God hates anyone who loves violence. That makes it plain. Our desires and resultant actions can lose us God's love. Unconditional love?

Love for total strangers
This probably is the closest one can get to unconditional, for the recipient of the love shown is not the person's creation neither is he a relative or friend. However there still is a condition.

Imagine a man who braves blazing fire to get into a house. He believes there are children in there. As he gets in, he notices a litter of helpless baby rats huddled against a corner trying to get as far away from the flames as possible. Would he stop to save the baby rats or continue the search for the human children?

Your guess is as good as mine. The children would be a priority because they are human. There you have your condition.

LOVE AND SELFLESSNESS
Let me quickly correct a possible perception. This article wasn't written to make love in any form seem selfish or impure.

That man who constantly gives of himself and strives to remain faithful just to make his lady happy, even when she doesn't always appreciate it...

That faithful woman who gives her all because she genuinely wants the best for her man, even when there's that lingering possibility that she might lose it all in a blink.

That father who would rather take a bullet in the head than let his family members get hurt, or jumps into a river when he cannot swim, because he cannot watch his child drown...

That mother who would ferociously stand between her child and death, and do whatever it takes...

That person who believes that every other human should be given another shot at life, against the backdrop of the world's racist, tribalist and xenophobic tendencies...

All these are examples of selfless love which take different forms. Been conditional doesn't make them any less beautiful.

However when one insists that he/she must be loved absolutely, regardless of what he/she does or does not do, it reveals the self-centred nature inherent in most humans. A nature that seeks to receive without having to give anything.

Love can be selfless, love can be true, and love can be enduring. Do your part, make yourself loveable, love selflessly and appreciate the imperfect love shown to you. Maybe we can somehow make the world a better place, at least for those we love.

Just maybe.

© 2015 Oahray

op your logic is flawed. for you to love unconditionally, first of all, you must choose to love before the unconditional aspect. the choice to love might be based on condition But not the love itself.

1 Like

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by RexBrita: 6:59am On Apr 19, 2015
Logical
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Edd1e(m): 7:03am On Apr 19, 2015
Nice Fascinating Write-up.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Oahray: 7:12am On Apr 19, 2015
ELITE0911:
you'd rather I base my arguments on emotions? Ok here it goes...

Unconditional is such a beautiful concept that makes us feel happy with the little we do, therefore it must be true. How does that sound?

Yes I am not capable of love that is unconditional in it's entirety. I wouldn't gladly kiss a lady that's trying to kill me. If you would, good for you.

That said, I did not set out to insult the idea of it, but to expose it for the myth that it is. When you believe you are entitled to absolute love without any reason, you are less likely to be sensitive to others and take responsibility for your actions. After all your actions shouldn't matter.

A good number of marriages crashing every day can be traced back to this.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Oahray: 7:13am On Apr 19, 2015
khassy:
am sure this op failed summary in school

too long and boring angryangryangryangry
lol. Ok
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by ojnnaco(m): 7:26am On Apr 19, 2015
Kaiiiii... is dis a handover note.. See pages
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by LordReed(m): 7:31am On Apr 19, 2015
Unconditional love is a myth. Even God's love comes with a condition, you have to receive it to enjoy the benefit. How ever love can be so "boundless" that it will take exceptional circumstances to test it's limits, that is when the wickedness of men's hearts start being revealed, when you begin to take advantage of the goodness of someone's heart to deceive and corrupt love.

If love was truly Unconditional you'd marry the first lady you set your eyes on, you'd marry the crazy woman on your street, you'd pick the prostitute on the roadside and make her your wife, you'd not think twice about how she can't cook/give birth/be polite, in fact you'd have absolutely no criteria for choosing a woman to marry mere sight would be enough but we all know that is not what happens is it?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by MuyiRano(m): 7:40am On Apr 19, 2015
Can som1 help us summarize all this note?
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by oluamid(m): 7:49am On Apr 19, 2015
olalat:

Read the post again. Even the "Almighty" does not have unconditional love for us all. His love is preconditioned on the basis that you live by his rules and his rules only. Anything short of that is hell fire. Even John 3:16 that the OP quoted stated as much.

1 Like

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Amuram(m): 7:55am On Apr 19, 2015
Op,was mother Theresa's(Agnes Gonhxa) love conditional or unconditional?
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 19, 2015
Unconditional love is a paradox. Humans have always made these definitions to their own convenience.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by hahn(m): 8:09am On Apr 19, 2015
You lied.

You said the post would be veryyyyyyyyyy long. Lol

Excellent write up though. Very logical and sincere. This is the kind of thinking the world needs

Oahray:

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE?

Unconditional

Condition

Romantic love

A parent's love

God's love

Love for total strangers

LOVE AND SELFLESSNESS

Just maybe.

© 2015 Oahray
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Time2Smile(m): 8:43am On Apr 19, 2015
I am appalled that some are still complaining about the length of the post. For Goodness sake it takes about 5 minutes to read, Short attention span is really the bane of Nigerians, especially youths.
This is one of the most thoughtful post ever on Nairaland, The concept of unconditional love is a mirage. The correct thing to say is: LOVE ME FOR WHO I AM, (and that is your condition) not LOVE ME FOR WHO I AM NOT.

1 Like

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Cutehector(m): 8:55am On Apr 19, 2015
Oahray:
lol. Ok
sir no mind dem. But they will be quick to read novels like fifty shades of grey, book one to three
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 19, 2015
Oahray, where you erred is that, unconditional love can be foisted upon anyone, that it can be forced down upon anyone orlaid down imperially upon anyone, but it does not work like that.

Unconditional love is impossible amdist all the instances you cited except divine love, the love of God alone is unconditional. Furthermore, since loving people unconditionally even when they do not want your love is against love itself...Thus, for love to be truly unconditional in words and deed, it must be, it has to be accepted by the recipient. God accomplished this unconditional love of the world by making an offer of his unconditional love. An offer is a legal term that requires a clear, unambiguous and direct acceptance for it to be valid.
That is what John 3:16 is.
An offer of unconditional love to the world.
Accept it and he loves you from the moment of acceptance as much as he loves His only son, Jesus Christ...he cannot love you better in the future, he cannot love you less, he cannot love you more. That is the good news.

Essentially, love cannot exists unitarily. It exists in a relationship, ideally, within two people. However, the best of human relationship is incapable of perfect unconditional love, only Jesus is.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by olalat(m): 9:07am On Apr 19, 2015
oluamid:

Read the post again. Even the "Almighty" does not have unconditional love for us all. His love is preconditioned on the basis that you live by his rules and his rules only. Anything short of that is hell fire. Even John 3:16 that the OP quoted stated as much.
why did he make provision for even pagans and atheists. Why did he feed, cloth and shelter them. And again, u need to understand the fact not everyone will agree with that biblical school of thought u cited. The Muslims and other faith may not agree with you. Unless your assertion is Christians alone.
Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 19, 2015
Furthermore Oahray, just a little bit...

How do you measure the unconditionality of this love? Human or divine?

How can you plumb the recesses of motives and intention and even change of heart in human?

There is a line in a hymn that says: there are depths of love that I cannot know until I cross the narrow sea.

I dare to say that unconditional love by human, assuming but not conceding that it is possible, is not only immoral but it can even be a sin...since you love the person no less even if she/he kills, rapes, or indulge in the most despicable acts of wickedness imaginable and yet you are constrained from telling him to change otherwise or she/he risks losing the unconditional love you have for them.

However, unconditional love, is even possible by humans but it is not to be judged the way you think it will.

Ta.

1 Like

Re: The Selfish Human And The 'unconditional Love' Jargon by ImperfectMe(m): 9:58am On Apr 19, 2015
You just said my mind op.....nice one

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Married Women That Apply Heavy Make-up And Dress Indecently. What For? / ★★ Romance Section Awards (Main Event) ★★ / Battle Of The Nairaland Hotties {week 5}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.