Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,394 members, 7,800,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money (22128 Views)

Oil To Fund 27% Of N7.3tr 2017 Budget - Daily Trust / If You Lose The Election, Accept Defeat – Jonathan Tells Tanzanian Politicians / May 29 Handover Date Sacrosanct, Jonathan Tells US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by manutdadex(m): 11:52pm On Apr 18, 2015
otemanuduno:

See this one o. You think it's everybody who has uncles and parents like you who will provide the fund. Sorry for you guy cos you will be sorry for yourself soon.
nobody get any uncle...but sell ur idea and stop depending on the government .do think d govt gives entrepreneur capital to the likes bill gates

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nobody: 11:56pm On Apr 18, 2015
Flets:
Sometimes I ask what Buhari intends to do differently.

Even in the proposed fight against corruption, all we hear are jails, prosecution and punitive measures which cannot eliminate corruption in itself. So much noise, hype and propaganda. Without strengthening our institutions and putting in systems to check sharp practices like GEJ was doing ..... corruption will continue unabated across board

It might take some time for the average Nigerian to discern but very sensible minds understand already that we lost GEJ ....... he didn't lose.

What are you saying? We did not lose Jona we kicked him out of govt. Finito.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Curiouscity(m): 12:03am On Apr 19, 2015
allycat:
Funds from Tetfund are available. I know because I work in a university and every year they send out memos for research proposals, however the criteria is very stringent and many lecturers are just publishing for promotion not really to add to the body of knowledge. The few that go through the rigorous process get their funds. The kind of proposal they require is like you are doing a proposal for PHD thesis in a top foreign university, you have to calculate to the last penny what the funds are meant for and these projects are meant to cover years of research not 3 month papers that you can write without ever leaving your office. Every year they advertise and all the deans I have worked with complain of the lackadaisical attitude of lecturers.

Thank you for saying the truth. Most Nigerians want this money to be given anytime they want without showing anything for it. Even for some that are able to access the fund, first thing they do is buy a new car, build house if they had none, and marry new wife. Most Nigerian lecturers don't have a big picture, just their pockets.
Presently, I know of 3 friends in a state university studying outside Nigeria courtesy of TETfund.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 19, 2015
emy77:

Guy!! U are rather daft and u dont know u are. Can u please go find out what the TETfund is all about. That fund has been in place since early 2002. It is for infrastructural development of nigerian uiniversities.

There are criteria before u can access it, one of which is u as a school administrator, must be able to show physically what last year funds were used for before u can access this year's.

Many schools do not meet the requirements, so u hav a lot of funds idle and waiting to b accessed. The fault is with the universities, not the govt.

Please read up. Dont just blow ignorant air all about. That is exactly why u are a student
u are most definitely ignorant. Tetfund is only a policy creation...just like Needs, MDGs etc. Yes...a certain percent of national revenue must be made 'available' for universities...but the FG has its way of coverting such funds (or if you may...borrowing from such funds) by making it available only in principle. Many universities have requested to use out of the 'Tetfund' for research grants, scholarship and facility improvement...but they only get peanuts granted by the FG.
Or Why do you think ASUU went on strike again?

Making policies and Signing agreements with ASUU has never been a problem...the problem is RELEASING THE money. Truth is the money is not available .. It is just there in principle and a hogwash for ignoramuses like you.

Learn to do investigative journalism and don't just be dogmatic.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 19, 2015
nedupel:
Na illlitrate buhari go help u?
Wet in he know about school?

You are the illiterate. The last time I checked Buhari attended NDA and went for various military courses worldwide. Do not know why we have so many daft people in this forum who support the Clueless one that brought so much hardship to Nigerians. Did they not go through these hardships like everybody else?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by eddydey(m): 12:24am On Apr 19, 2015
sauceny:
60% of those funds would be diverted into personal use.

By who? Buhari or Tinubu? cheesy
nah question I deh ask o ! grin
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Curiouscity(m): 12:27am On Apr 19, 2015
BiHung:
u are most definitely ignorant. Tetfund is only a policy creation...just like Needs, MDGs etc. Yes...a certain percent of national revenue must be made 'available' for universities...but the FG has its way of coverting such funds (or if you may...borrowing from such funds) by making it available only in principle. Many universities have requested to use out of the 'Tetfund' for research grants, scholarship and facility improvement...but they only get peanuts granted by the FG.
Or Why do you think ASUU went on strike again?

Making policies and Signing agreements with ASUU has never been a problem...the problem is RELEASING THE money. Truth is the money is not available .. It is just there in principle and a hogwash for ignoramuses like you.

Learn to do investigative journalism and don't just be dogmatic.
Guy, I think you need to do some verifications. Agreed most programs are sources of corruption in Nigeria, but TETfund is real. Go to their site: http://www.tetfund.gov.ng/index.php/projects/reconcilled-projects to see how much have been allocated each year to tertiary institutions. But because the admins of those institutions can't account for previous allocations, the money lie there. Most schools use theirs properly. Do a bit of search and you will be surprise.

This fund started way back before GEJ's government, so it is not about GEJ. We should appreciate good things and ask our intitutions for accountability. If you are a student, ask your school why seats and lecture spaces are still insufficient when this kind of money is available. If you are a lecturer, avail yourself and ask your dean/HOD to support you to access this money.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Okehjp(m): 12:27am On Apr 19, 2015
[quote author=crownprince102 post=32867575][b]Medicine after dealth......... Repentance after Judgement.....

* ASUU went on strike for 6 months
* ASUP went on strike for 11 months
* Standard of our University falls.
* Increament in School fee due to low revenue from government. E.g OAU with 300% increase in tuition fee
* Improper Staff welfare
* Substandard facilities in the university.
* Inadequate Learning and Student welfare facilities
* etc.

Now you are leaving, miraculously the fund to solve all those problem became available. No Nigerian University ranked among Top 20 in Africa and Top 1000 in the world.

OAU used to be the best university and the university with the most beautiful campus in africa but that is then. Imagine, OAU and UI were built with Cocoa revenue. Today we have Oil and Oyel, we have nothing to show for it.

Since the messaiah (sai Buhari) is here let see how he is going to fight corruption. Time will tell

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 19, 2015
Curiouscity:

Guy, I think you need to do some verifications. Agreed most programs are sources of corruption in Nigeria, but TETfund is real. Go to their site: http://www.tetfund.gov.ng/index.php/projects/reconcilled-projects to see how much have been allocated each year to tertiary institutions. But because the admins of those institutions can't account for previous allocations, they money lie there. Most schools use theirs properly. Do a bit of search and you will be surprise.

This fund started way back before GEJ's government, so it is not about GEJ. We should appreciate good things and ask our intitutions for accountability. If you are a student, ask your school why seats and lecture spaces are still insufficient when this kind of money is available. If you are a lecturer, avail yourself and ask your dean/HOD to support you to access this money.

well..i am a scholar.... And i access funds from other govt sources... But if truly and sincerely the govt wants to help our universities..rather than withhold these funds due to poor accountability..they should execute projects directly for the Unis. There is actually no master plan of how each university should grow. No direction or Vision.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Curiouscity(m): 12:44am On Apr 19, 2015
BiHung:
well..i am a scholar.... And i access funds from other govt sources... But if truly and sincerely the govt wants to help our universities..rather than withhold these funds due to poor accountability..they should execute projects directly for the Unis. There is actually no master plan of how each university should grow. No direction or Vision.

Well, I don't know where you live or are studying. If you study in the western universities, you will notice that their government allocate what is called "counterpart funding" to them. They access that money based on needs and must account for it. They are independent verifications. During my graduate studies, I witnessed my supervisor used more than a week to apply for a research grant. It was so detailed to the last penny, yet when released, he has to sign for the money anytime he accessed it. If tertiary institutions that are grooming the populace do not follow due process and accountability, then where will we learn these important aspects of civil responsibility?

One of our major problem is we want the government to do everything for us. What you are suggesting is like, you give your younger bros money to build his house. After a year, he comes to you for more money, and you demand to know what stage the house is. Instead of telling you, he storms out of your house and query your trust on him. After some interventions, he ask you to build him the house since he can not account for previous money. How logical does it sound?

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by 2n2k(m): 12:46am On Apr 19, 2015
Flets:

Even in the proposed fight against corruption, all we hear are jails, prosecution and punitive measures which cannot eliminate corruption in itself. So much noise, hype and propaganda. Without strengthening our institutions and putting in systems to check sharp practices like GEJ was doing ..... corruption will continue unabated across board

It might take some time for the average Nigerian to discern but very sensible minds understand already that we lost GEJ ....... he didn't lose.

What exactly has GEJ done? In the report posted by OP, the president claimed that the government has made available N1.3tn through Education Trust Fund for university funding. This is not entirely accurate.

It was IBB administration that set up Education Trust Fund (ETF) in 1993. Its source of funding is the 2% education tax levied yearly on all companies operating in Nigeria. Initially it was responsible for providing intervention fund for all post primary educational institutions but its scope was reduced in 2010 to only tertiary institutions hence the change of name from ETF to Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND).

The N1.3tn is the accumulation of the part of the fund not yet disbursed from 1993 to date. The funding of TETFUND is strictly from education tax paid yearly by private companies and not through government budget/funding.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by nedupel(m): 12:49am On Apr 19, 2015
parkeration:

You are the illiterate. The last time I checked Buhari attended NDA and went for various military courses worldwide. Do not know why we have so many daft people in this forum who support the Clueless one that brought so much hardship to Nigerians. Did they not go through these hardships like everybody else?
its only an irresponsible man like you that blames your failure on the government.
Responsible men move on no matter the challenges
They
Make the environment conducive for them self
Grow up!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Rick9(m): 1:00am On Apr 19, 2015
Nomswag:
Jonathan is d best.......buhari mtcheew that one na human being name
BuhariTill2027 Deal With it

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by xandy84: 1:17am On Apr 19, 2015
Am a beneficiary of free education from elementary to tertiary education but good things does not come cheap. I school in Unilag and also had the opportunity to visit Chicago state university, University of Illinois at Chicago and i can tell the different. Free education does come with sub standard and low quality of education. America is the most prosperous country in the world and her citizen pays for tertiary education.
As long as we want free education, we should also expect low quality cos tertiary education does not come cheap. My opinion.

crownprince102:
Medicine after dealth......... Repentance after Judgement.....

* Increament in School fee due to low revenue from government. E.g OAU with 300% increase in tuition fee
* Improper Staff welfare
* etc.

Now you are leaving, miraculously the fund to solve all those problem became available. No Nigerian University ranked among Top 20 in Africa and Top 1000 in the world.

OAU used to be the best university and the university with the most beautiful campus in africa but that is then. Imagine, OAU and UI were built with Cocoa revenue. Today we have Oil and Oyel, we have nothing to show for it.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by akinnux(m): 3:12am On Apr 19, 2015
This administration is being clever by half by using the word 'access'. Why can they just distribute this fund to the universities who already in dire need?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Curiouscity(m): 3:27am On Apr 19, 2015
akinnux:
This administration is being clever by half by using the word 'access'. Why can they just distribute this fund to the universities who already in dire need?

To use for what? The truth is most Nigerians wants to be spoon fed. Go to tetfund webesite http://www.tetfund.gov.ng/index.php/projects/reconcilled-projects you will see money for capital and developmental projects lying idle. All the money for conference attendance, publication and research grants have all been collected. Do you know why? Most VC's, deans, HODs or even lecturers can attend imaginary conferences, recycle research project and get funding yearly. But the money for capital projects need evidence of execution before another one is given. There is high level of corruption in our tertiary institutions. Is it too hard to show what you used the money for last year and demand for a new one?
Everyone hears that government is not funding research in our universities, who collects all the research grants listed?

Must the government do everything for us? Or put it differently, who are the government? Is it not me, U, our dad, mum, uncles, friends that are working in all these places? We are just too hard to please. Give the whiteman such an opportunity, U see what he uses it for.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by calcal: 3:36am On Apr 19, 2015
why now? definitely no money is available. he lot the election he should go quietly.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by otokx(m): 3:52am On Apr 19, 2015
This our presido should stop playing politics with our educational system.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by nsyforreal: 3:59am On Apr 19, 2015
fekbam:

the tetfund can not be converted to personal use...the monies are paid tru the institutions directly into the account of the beneficiaries..the beneficiaries must be studying in the country or overseas at postgraduate levels, they also sign bonds to serve the institutions on the completion of their studies.

for the universities and not students.please check ur facts before posting anything
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by josh21: 6:21am On Apr 19, 2015
crownprince102:
Medicine after dealth......... Repentance after Judgement.....

* Improper Staff welfare
* etc.

So It is GEj that caused it right?
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nobody: 7:06am On Apr 19, 2015
Curiouscity:

Well, I don't know where you live or are studying. If you study in the western universities, you will notice that their government allocate what is called "counterpart funding" to them. They access that money based on needs and must account for it. They are independent verifications. During my graduate studies, I witnessed my supervisor used more than a week to apply for a research grant. It was so detailed to the last penny, yet when released, he has to sign for the money anytime he accessed it. If tertiary institutions that are grooming the populace do not follow due process and accountability, then where will we learn these important aspects of civil responsibility?

One of our major problem is we want the government to do everything for us. What you are suggesting is like, you give your younger bros money to build his house. After a year, he comes to you for more money, and you dbemand to know what stage the house is. Instead of telling you, he storms out of your house and query your trust on him. After some interventions, he ask you to build him the house since he can not account for previous money. How logical does it sound?
Your analogy of the brother and the house is good..but let's put it in a proper perspective.
You have an agent who is meant to build a house for your children.... But because you do not trust him, you have simply stopped funding the project even though you can clearly see that your children are homeless and in dire need. So if you 'feign' to never get convinced that the agent is using that money for the building, and you also cannot get the police and efcc to 'investigate' him, then why not take over the building project if truly you love and care your poor children and have not squandered that money you claim to be in charge of.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by symbianDON(m): 7:07am On Apr 19, 2015
okotv:
medicine after death medicine after death. We said we don't want him. Deal with it. Jonathan never tried to fight corruption. For every step Jonathan took forward, we took some backwards. The lecturers in those universities almost went on strike some few weeks back because they haven't even received the allocated money of 2014 talk less of 2015.
exactly! government comes around, says this, says that, quotes some imaginary huge figures to impress people and then you hear all manners of sentimental statements about how Jonathan is a saint, how he is the messiah Nigeria needs, how he is the best man in Nigeria to rule Nigerians. how outrageous! for the records, Jonathan was not even the one who established the education trust fund ETF which is now being called TETfund.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by VcStunner(m): 7:12am On Apr 19, 2015
BiHung:
Liar. He is such a pathetic liar. He told ASUU that the money will only be released installmentally...200 Billion ever year. Yet...he couldn't release the fund. Pls tell me...is money something a sane president has to "urge" universities to use...after they even went on 6 Months strike over it? He is only trying to sound nice...ask him to produce the money first...and he will redirect you to a special committee set up at the CBN to review the recommendations of another conmittee set up to study the agreement FG made with ASUU
I just had to quote you, how much do u knw about the Tetfund money and ASUU agreement with FG? U can't build a solid academic institution in a year, u can't build a country's academic institution in a year either, I hate dat Hate I read from ur comment, u need to be objective sometimes. Presidency does d agreement and release d Fund, der are processes involved in accessing such funds, if u don't pay counterpart fund u don't get UBEC-fund,and u assume tet-fund will be different And don't also forget it was dis president dat sat down with ASUU for 13hours wen Prof. Faggae was bEen used by opposition party to scuttle d success of all those negotiations
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by symbianDON(m): 7:13am On Apr 19, 2015
nsyforreal:

for the universities and not students.please check ur facts before posting anything
I think you misunderstood him. the funds are actually for the academic staff of universities who are duly studying for postgraduate degrees in the country or abroad.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Borderless: 7:14am On Apr 19, 2015
okotv:
medicine after death medicine after death. We said we don't want him. Deal with it. Jonathan never tried to fight corruption. For every step Jonathan took forward, we took some backwards. The lecturers in those universities almost went on strike some few weeks back because they haven't even received the allocated money of 2014 talk less of 2015.

Blame GEJ for everything including your shallow-mindedness and foolishness. grin
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by abokikhalifa: 7:27am On Apr 19, 2015
Flets:

okay...............at least calmdown till may29...this tred never mentioned buhari...what is ur p with buhari? For ur infor nothing can eliminate corruption it can only be reduced nd that is what buhari will do unlike jonathan that encouraged corruption.. You nd I knw that very well
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by ElFenomeno1: 7:34am On Apr 19, 2015
Flets:

Hot nonsense from a fu cking pillock
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Bonuwa: 7:36am On Apr 19, 2015
realjoker:
Am i the only one noticing this man called Jonathan suddenly, he has changed to better, The lost of election is the beginning of hard work.
love you GEJ but only that if you have work like this last 7 weeks, the story would have been different.
anyway wish u all the best in your next activity.
u u r making sense keep it up
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by texazzpete(m): 7:40am On Apr 19, 2015
Flets:
Sometimes I ask what Buhari intends to do differently. U in

If you have to ask what possible different approach can be used, you are part of the problem.
GEJ did the barest minimum when it came to corruption. Tragic for you that you believed that made up BS 'strengthening our systems' claptrap.

People who break the law and steal from millions of Nigerians are not punished and you're there, grinning and cheering.

Flets:

He didn't lose. We got rid of him.
Very sensible minds understand that shallow sycophants like yourself are still roaming around, attempting to spread BS fantasies about GEJ's mediocre performance.

Change is here. Change will deliver. Or the people will strike again.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 19, 2015
VcStunner:
I just had to quote you, how much do u knw about the Tetfund money and ASUU agreement with FG? U can't build a solid academic institution in a year, u can't build a country's academic institution in a year either, I hate dat Hate I read from ur comment, u need to be objective sometimes. Presidency does d agreement and release d Fund, der are processes involved in accessing such funds, if u don't pay counterpart fund u don't get UBEC-fund,and u assume tet-fund will be different And don't also forget it was dis president dat sat down with ASUU for 13hours wen Prof. Faggae was bEen used by opposition party to scuttle d success of all those negotiations
i have heard you. It is always the opposition using people...you guys always see things as opposition opposition... You make the opposition grow faster and larger by attributing every disagreement to the opposition.. Thats what brought the downfall of pdp.
Re: Jonathan Tells Varsities To Access N1.3tr Tetfund Money by otemanuduno: 8:03am On Apr 19, 2015
manutdadex:
nobody get any uncle...but sell ur idea and stop depending on the government .do think d govt gives entrepreneur capital to the likes bill gates

Have u ever taken time to ask yourself if Bill gate comes from a poor background? Also, if bill gate has no source of finance initially, he wouldn't have been great. What bill gate invented required a starting capital and it's the starting capital I am talking about here oga Ade.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC CRISIS: Buhari Meets Atiku, Oyegun And Others / Orji Uzor Kalu Appears In Court Over Fraud (Pics) / IPOB May Banish Igbokwe From Igboland Over Anti-biafra Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.