Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. (1912 Views)

Reuters Report On Nigeria And South Africa's Unending Rivalry / Meet Zulu King Godwill Zwelithi Whose Remarks Launched The Xenophobic Attacks / Nigerian Car Dealership Shop Burnt Down In SA Xenophobic Violence! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by autofreak2020(m): 12:27am On Apr 19, 2015
{If you are thankful, I will grant you increase}
( Ibrahim 14:7 )

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says:
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the
will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Being ingrate to God and humans is frown against in both Qur'an and bible which are two major religion in Africa.
Is Xenophobic an equivalent of thank you Nigerians for your brave moves in Commonwealth to save our country from white apartheid?

Yes, the history of our national struggles to help these SA liberate from modern white slavery pre-date my date of birth, but records are there for all to see. Nigeria helped this people in 3 successful ways, please read on.
(1) Nigeria's Murtala Muhammed -
Olusegun Obasanjo
regime, nationalized the British
Petroleum (BP) for supplying oil to
South Africa. This was at a time,
when South Africa needed
action and not just rhetorics to give
momentum to the struggle for
freedom from the white
masters. These were no mean and
easy decisions. These were
decisions that carried very
enormous political implications.
These decisions were capable of
attracting serious political, economic
and social reprisals. However, for
love for our brothers and sisters in
South Africa, Nigeria risked all, to
help South Africa gain freedom.

(2) Furthermore, to help South Africa gain
independence, Nigeria led a boycott
of the 1978 Games in protest of New
Zealand's sporting contacts with
apartheid South Africa, and 32 of 59
nations from Africa, Asia, and the
Caribbean joined a Nigeria led
boycott of the 1986 Commonwealth
Games due to the
Thatcher government's attitude
towards South African .Nigeria, a
member of the common
wealth mobilized it's diplomatic
influence, and led majority of the
common wealth countries to boycott
these common wealth games as a
show of solidarity to South Africa
and to send a message to the white
country members in the common
wealth and in the world generally,
that Nigeria will fight with it's all, to
set our brothers and sisters in
South Africa free. This was a
herculean task. The mobilisation for
this boycott, deeply tested Nigeria's
claim to leadership in Africa and
beyond. Alas, the mobilisation was
very successful. And the common
wealth games, that year, was a
sorry story. From that moment
onwards, the whole world took
notice and the struggle for the
liberation of South Africa was
immediately hyper-accelerated. And
the rest is now history.

(3) Finally, Nigeria is also reputed to
have provided secret military
training at the Kaduna first
mechanized army division and
provided other material, financial
and diplomatic support to African
National Congress guerrilla forces.
Who can quantify the millions of
dollars, that Nigeria spent on the A.
N. C. during the struggle to liberate
South Africa ?. Nigeria-SA relationship na by force?
Is this Xenophobia a thank you for our contributions to their independence?
When Nigeria do not want Ghanaians on our soil anymore, we packed their bags and luggage together and said "GHANA-MUST-GO", we refuted and discarded all justifications for brutal killings. It is not a big deal if SA feels threatened that we are taking their Jobs, but killing my people heinously does not justify their claim.
Our government must rise to their feet and do the needful, if south African want to severe ties with giant of Africa, we are ready to severe ties with MTN, DSTV and other South African conglomerates on our soil.
.............i am marveloushands....................
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by MduZA: 5:17am On Apr 19, 2015
autofreak2020:
{If you are thankful, I will grant you increase}
( Ibrahim 14:7 )

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says:
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the
will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Being ingrate to God and humans is frown against in both Qur'an and bible which are two major religion in Africa.
Is Xenophobic an equivalent of thank you Nigerians for your brave moves in Commonwealth to save our country from white apartheid?

Yes, the history of our national struggles to help these SA liberate from modern white slavery pre-date my date of birth, but records are there for all to see. Nigeria helped this people in 3 successful ways, please read on.
(1) Nigeria's Murtala Muhammed -
Olusegun Obasanjo
regime, nationalized the British
Petroleum (BP) for supplying oil to
South Africa. This was at a time,
when South Africa needed
action and not just rhetorics to give
momentum to the struggle for
freedom from the white
masters. These were no mean and
easy decisions. These were
decisions that carried very
enormous political implications.
These decisions were capable of
attracting serious political, economic
and social reprisals. However, for
love for our brothers and sisters in
South Africa, Nigeria risked all, to
help South Africa gain freedom.

(2) Furthermore, to help South Africa gain
independence, Nigeria led a boycott
of the 1978 Games in protest of New
Zealand's sporting contacts with
apartheid South Africa, and 32 of 59
nations from Africa, Asia, and the
Caribbean joined a Nigeria led
boycott of the 1986 Commonwealth
Games due to the
Thatcher government's attitude
towards South African .Nigeria, a
member of the common
wealth mobilized it's diplomatic
influence, and led majority of the
common wealth countries to boycott
these common wealth games as a
show of solidarity to South Africa
and to send a message to the white
country members in the common
wealth and in the world generally,
that Nigeria will fight with it's all, to
set our brothers and sisters in
South Africa free. This was a
herculean task. The mobilisation for
this boycott, deeply tested Nigeria's
claim to leadership in Africa and
beyond. Alas, the mobilisation was
very successful. And the common
wealth games, that year, was a
sorry story. From that moment
onwards, the whole world took
notice and the struggle for the
liberation of South Africa was
immediately hyper-accelerated. And
the rest is now history.

(3) Finally, Nigeria is also reputed to
have provided secret military
training at the Kaduna first
mechanized army division and
provided other material, financial
and diplomatic support to African
National Congress guerrilla forces.
Who can quantify the millions of
dollars, that Nigeria spent on the A.
N. C. during the struggle to liberate
South Africa ?. Nigeria-SA relationship na by force?
Is this Xenophobia a thank you for our contributions to their independence?
When Nigeria do not want Ghanaians on our soil anymore, we packed their bags and luggage together and said "GHANA-MUST-GO", we refuted and discarded all justifications for brutal killings. It is not a big deal if SA feels threatened that we are taking their Jobs, but killing my people heinously does not justify their claim.
Our government must rise to their feet and do the needful, if south African want to severe ties with giant of Africa, we are ready to severe ties with MTN, DSTV and other South African conglomerates on our soil.
.............i am marveloushands....................

in return SA helped you achieve democracy,pres Mandela boycotted the Abacha regime via the UN and Common wealth...your first democratic elections were ran by South African independent electoral commission...thousands and thousands of young Nigerian students are easily absorbed by our universities,many are even getting bursaries,thanx to SAn tax payers...south African companies operating there did not force themselves into that country but president obasanjo made a request,..if Nigerians living in SA can listen and do what their leaders are saying(respect the laws of the host nations),things will be better unfortunately those who are involved in criminal activities are also fueling the hatred,the most annoying part of it is when one hears those criminals boosting about their activities..

1 Like

Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 9:06am On Apr 19, 2015
MduZA:

in return SA helped you achieve democracy,pres Mandela boycotted the Abacha regime via the UN and Common wealth...your first democratic elections were ran by South African independent electoral commission...thousands and thousands of young Nigerian students are easily absorbed by our universities,many are even getting bursaries,thanx to SAn tax payers...south African companies operating there did not force themselves into that country but president obasanjo made a request,..if Nigerians living in SA can listen and do what their leaders are saying(respect the laws of the host nations),things will be better unfortunately those who are involved in criminal activities are also fueling the hatred,the most annoying part of it is when one hears those criminals boosting about their activities..
where did you get that stupiid claim? do you know how many military rulers nigeria had after abacha before IBB finally paved way for civilian rule?
please post credible sources to support your claims and research on INEC.. IEC my left butt

you just like peddling false narrative to fill up space

1 Like

Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by MduZA: 9:49am On Apr 19, 2015
iterator24:
where did you get that stupiid claim? do you know how many military rulers nigeria had after abacha before IBB finally paved way for civilian rule?
please post credible sources to support your claims and research on INEC.. IEC my left butt

you just like peddling false narrative to fill up space

1996 ...supper eagles did not participate in the afcon because Mandela was on Abacha s neck,as usual denie it

make your own research and see how south Africa boycotted the Abacha regime

2.1999 Nigerians first democratical elections ballot papers were designed and printed in SA,South African independent electoral commission were also involved in your first democratical elections,denie it...president Jonathan in his elections campaigns made a statement about this..your country imports everything from SA,south African companies are employing thousands and thousands of Nigerians in Nigeria,many are also employed by our own government as doctors and teachers here in SA,thousands and thousands of young Nigerians are studying in our universities,some are even getting bursaries at the expense of south African tax payers...swallow your empty pride and show appreciation....
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 19, 2015
MduZA:

1996 ...supper eagles did not participate in the afcon because Mandela was on Abacha s neck,as usual denie it

make your own research and see how south Africa boycotted the Abacha regime

2.1999 Nigerians first democratical elections ballot papers were designed and printed in SA,South African independent electoral commission were also involved in your first democratical elections,denie it...president Jonathan in his elections campaigns made a statement about this..your country imports everything from SA,south African companies are employing thousands and thousands of Nigerians in Nigeria,many are also employed by our own government as doctors and teachers here in SA,thousands and thousands of young Nigerians are studying in our universities,some are even getting bursaries at the expense of south African tax payers...swallow your empty pride and show appreciation....
you're yet to prove anything, your claims are not recorded anywhere in Nigeria's history and Africa at large or cyberspace.
I've opened a thread for you

www.nairaland.com/2264899/see-what-south-africans-nairaland

you can argue with them from now on...
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by osystein(m): 10:14am On Apr 19, 2015
iterator24:

you're yet to prove anything, your claims are not recorded anywhere in Nigeria's history and Africa at large or cyberspace.

lol, honestly that's really childish, opening a thread while your having a little debate with someone.
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 19, 2015
osystein:

lol, honestly that's really childish, opening a thread while your having a little debate with someone.
i admit its childish, its not the first time they posted it on this platform, not only him... sh-- they actually believe the gibberish!
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by MduZA: 10:43am On Apr 19, 2015
iterator24:

thanks for knowing events unfolding in sA than in your own backyard...i have been reading debates and arguments since I joined this forum,I regret to inform that many of those are laughable due to the fact that all are made in the name of patriotism...by the way am not here to prove anything...a Nigerian will scream on top of his voice denying that MTN is a south African company,so who am I to convince a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 19, 2015
MduZA:

thanks for knowing events unfolding in sA than in your own backyard...i have been reading debates and arguments since I joined this forum,I regret to inform that many of those are laughable due to the fact that all are made in the name of patriotism...by the way am not here to prove anything...a Nigerian will scream on top of his voice denying that MTN is a south African company,so who am I to convince a Nigerian.
if you're trying to create an impression that we're clueless like you, it won't work..the outrage caused by the barbarism unleashed by your compatriots in the last couple of days tells me Nigerians on this platform are more travelled and exposed than you'd ever be.. shove your little MTN story where the sun don't shine and stop peddling false narratives.
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by MduZA: 12:13pm On Apr 19, 2015
iterator24:
if you're trying to create an impression that we're clueless like you, it won't work..the outrage caused by the barbarism unleashed by your compatriots in the last couple of days tells me Nigerians on this platform are more travelled and exposed than you'd ever be.. shove your little MTN story where the sun don't shine and stop peddling false narratives.

so said a Nigerian refugee in my country...
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 19, 2015
MduZA:

so said a Nigerian refugee in my country...
every foreigner is a refugee, hence xenophobia... a south african thing
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 19, 2015
iterator24:
every foreigner is a refugee, hence xenophobia... a south african thing

Xenophobia is not a SA thing the only regret is the loss of life and the attacks on foreigners. Had our government been at the forefront of the action to drive away foreigners like the Nigerian government did during the "Ghana mmust go" saga, then you would clearly see that this is not exclusive to SA because the fundamental issues are the same.

At this moment and time it is clear even the SA government regrets not taking charge at an earlier stage to avoid this horrible mass.
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 19, 2015
BluIvy:

Xenophobia is not a SA thing the only regret is the loss of life and the attacks on foreigners. Had our government been at the forefront of the action to drive away foreigners like the Nigerian government did during the "Ghana mmust go" saga, then you would clearly see that this is not exclusive to SA because the fundamental issues are the same.

At this moment and time it is clear even the SA government regrets not taking charge at an earlier stage to avoid this horrible mass.
why do you like making references to ghana must go that you know nothing of.. are you aware the move was retaliatory by the nigerian millitary government? Please research before you start brain farting. Ghana chased Nigerians out and Nigerian milliatry government retaliated without any blood shed.

"The relationship became sour for various reasons. Thus, under former Ghanaian president Busia's Aliens Compliance Order of 1969, Nigerians and other immigrants were forced to leave Ghana as they made up a significant percentage of Ghana's undocumented population who were not accounted for by official government documents. The official reason for deportation was failing to comply with the immigration laws of the country. In 1983, Nigeria retaliated and deported up to 1 million Ghanaian and other African immigrants when Ghana was facing severe drought and economic problems, and another 300,000 in early 1985 on short notice. This further strained relations between the two countries.[2] In April 1988, a joint commission for cooperation was established between Ghana and Nigeria. "

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana–Nigeria_relations

fast forward today
We are brothers with the ghanians today and share a lot from entertainment to culture.
Have you heard any incident of xenophobia? No! Don't tie Nigerians to it
Please research abeg, no dey talk rubbish.

Again, xenophobia is unique to south africa
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 19, 2015
iterator24:
why do you like making references to ghana must go that you know nothing of.. are you aware the move was retaliatory by the nigerian government? Please research before you start brain farting. Ghana chased Nigerians out and Nigerian government retaliated without any blood shed.

fast forward today
We are brothers with the ghanians today and share a lot from entertainment to culture.
Have you heard any incident of xenophabia? No! Don't tie Nigerians to it
Please research abeg, no dey talk rubbish.

Guy, I believe you in SA on some masters or phd program so you are supposingly an educated fellow, please leave insults and argue points.

I know that's what you people say it was, retaliation. But after how many years did you decide to retaliate? By the way i have read about the Ghana must go while following Buhari's history as the head of state during your election period. So i do know the facts about it.

Again this even further proves my point that Xenophobia is not exclusive to SA as you earlier stated. You can add Ghana in the mix but facts remain many Africans are Xenophobic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2015
BluIvy:

Guy, I believe you in SA on some masters or phd program so you are supposingly an educated fellow, please leave insults and argue points.

I know that's what you people say it was, retaliation. But after how many years did you decide to retaliate? By the way i have read about the Ghana must go while following Buhari's history as the head of state during your election period. So i do know the facts about it.

Again this even further proves my point that Xenophobia is not exclusive to SA as you earlier stated. You can add Ghana in the mix but facts remain many Africans are Xenophobic.
Xenophobia is defined as fear for strangers or foreigners.
what happened between nigeria and ghana was a mere diplomatic spat. I don't want to say much about this that's why i provided you a link.
we don't have any reason to be xenophobic as Nigerians
Re: Flashbacks On Nigeria Contributions Towards An Independent Xenophobic S/africa. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 19, 2015
iterator24:

Xenophobia is defined as fear for strangers or foreigners.
what happened between nigeria and ghana was a mere diplomatic spat. I don't want to say much about this that's why i provided you a link.
we don't have any reason to be xenophobic as Nigerians

You may now term it whatever suits you but the fundamental issues of poverty and dwindling economic resource are the same.

Here is what New York times wrote about the event:

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/05/world/expelled-foreigners-pouring-out-of-nigeria-by-the-associated-press.html

[size=18] Reporters at the western border with Benin today said Nigerian customs officials were searching the departing foreigners closely and refusing to let tiem carry out more than the 20 naira, or $17.65, allowed by law. They also said bus drivers were doing a brisk business charging twice the normal fare to carry passengers across the border.[/size]

The illegal immigrants were among the millions of West Africans, mostly from Ghana, who flooded into Nigeria in hopes of benefiting from the country's oil-based economy. But world demand for oil has waned and the price has dropped, sending Nigeria into a steep economic decline and swelling its foreign debt.

[size=18pt]In January 1983, the civilian Government of President Shehu Shagari ordered out about two million foreigners, blaming them for widespread unemployment and crime. Roads to the border were clogged with people carrying personal belongings [/size]

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

List Of Coups D'etat And coup Attempts From 2010 Till Date / Photos Of Obama's Distressed And Angry Staff On Trump's First Visit / Japan Flooding Devastation That Killed Over 100, Displaced 1.5million(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.