Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,307 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Work In Progress (vw Beetle) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Work In Progress (vw Beetle) (33313 Views)

8 Crazily Unique Beetle Cars You Have Never Seen Before (photos) / Nigerian Man Redesigns A Beetle Tortoise Car Into A Rolls Royce / Would You Buy This Rusty 1952 Volkswagen Beetle (ijapa) For N30million? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 23, 2015
Your project is gathering pace, I can't wait to see the final product.
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 12:06pm On Apr 24, 2015
Work starts almost immediately

2 Likes

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 12:08pm On Apr 24, 2015
I think I'll be needing four new fenders
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 12:14pm On Apr 24, 2015
Interior is striped down to reveal more rusts

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Nobody: 9:00pm On Apr 24, 2015
This vehicle gives me memories. it was one hell of a fucking strong car with iron body.

2 Likes

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by samir101ng(m): 7:47pm On Apr 25, 2015
Wow!!! Nice one op.

I will encourage the op to splurge some cool cash on some areas to make this car stand out.

1. Interior
A very nice looking interior with all the dials and knobs working will impress any passenger in that car. Getting a good upholstery tailor to sew and fit some nice fabric for the car is a must.

2. Paint
The first thing to notice on a car is the paint. Get a very cool colour tone and get the car professionally sprayed.

3. Wheels
The tires and rims are also a good area to spend on. Some decent rims will add more swag to the car more than it already is.

4. Sound System
Some nice jams will go a long way in announcing your presence.

5. Headlights
Kindly make sure you use some LED lights for some of the bulbs in the car.

I know your working on a budget and this is a dream list but I tell you your bug will be turning heads more than your average car on the street.

All the best.

6 Likes

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 12:31am On Apr 26, 2015
samir101ng:
Wow!!! Nice one op.

I will encourage the op to splurge some cool cash on some areas to make this car stand out.

1. Interior
A very nice looking interior with all the dials and knobs working will impress any passenger in that car. Getting a good upholstery tailor to sew and fit some nice fabric for the car is a must.

2. Paint
The first thing to notice on a car is the paint. Get a very cool colour tone and get the car professionally sprayed.

3. Wheels
The tires and rims are also a good area to spend on. Some decent rims will add more swag to the car more than it already is.

4. Sound System
Some nice jams will go a long way in announcing your presence.

5. Headlights
Kindly make sure you use some LED lights for some of the bulbs in the car.

I know your working on a budget and this is a dream list but I tell you your bug will be turning heads more than your average car on the street.

All the best.
Thanks man, you just mentioned pretty much everything I intend to do to the bug, the only regret I have is that I don't have a big enough garage or required tools and equipments, I'm sure even though I don't have previous experiences tuning or fixing cars, I sure do know how to get stuff like this done in a decent enough way.
So the basic challenge now is getting some professionals to get the job done, though the panel beater seems to be doing a nice job so far.

2 Likes

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:19am On Apr 26, 2015
I think you should consider cleaning out your fuel tank and replacing fuel filters.
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 9:18am On Apr 26, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
I think you should consider cleaning out your fuel tank and replacing fuel filters.
That to I will do sir
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Screwface(m): 11:35am On Apr 26, 2015
Chibzee2:
That to I will do sir

Sir, just curious, do you intend to change any part of the engine?
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 3:24pm On Apr 26, 2015
Screwface:

Sir, just curious, do you intend to change any part of the engine?
In as much as I like classic cars, I also like them fast. So yes man, I intend to either super charge or turbocharge it, just to get a little more hp.
I don't really like it when these cars are tuned way too much like they do for drag races, I hope to do something a little bit conspicuous you know, if I don't tell you. .. you won't know. Not too much of a hot rod.
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Screwface(m): 6:11pm On Apr 26, 2015
Chibzee2:

In as much as I like classic cars, I also like them fast. So yes man, I intend to either super charge or turbocharge it, just to get a little more hp.
I don't really like it when these cars are tuned way too much like they do for drag races, I hope to do something a little bit conspicuous you know, if I don't tell you. .. you won't know. Not too much of a hot rod.

I'll be curiously watching. How far with the revamp? Any new photos again?
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 6:24pm On Apr 30, 2015
So I made a few calls to onitsha, Aba, and owerri with respect to the needed fenders. I got a call back from owerri and so I had to schedule for inspection by a know mechanic there. After he was done inspecting, he said it was still going to require some work but that it was the best he could see around.
So I had to take a cab from portharcourt to owerri to pick them up but was taken aback by the price the fenders were being sold. After all negotiations, the fenders were loaded and we headed back to portharcourt immediately to drop them off at the panel beaters workshop.

3 Likes

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 6:27pm On Apr 30, 2015
Here are pictures of the old fenders, they are all weak

2 Likes

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 6:30pm On Apr 30, 2015
And the new old ones I just got

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 6:32pm On Apr 30, 2015
Some kind friends cool

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 6:35pm On Apr 30, 2015
Here's the panel beater working the floor boards.
Would have loved to replace the floor boards though but then they were not to bad, just the battery bay area due to some acid spillage from the battery in the past and some little rusts here and there.

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 6:41pm On Apr 30, 2015
Work so far,

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 6:44pm On Apr 30, 2015
More

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 6:54pm On Apr 30, 2015
And more body work.
I did not get to take a picture of the floor boards before the car was dropped, but I had the entire floor board sprayed with anti rust paint/coat.

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Screwface(m): 7:05pm On Apr 30, 2015
By the time you are done with the remaking of this car, you'd have spent enough to atleast get you a decent Nissan Micra. I'm keenly following this 'Fix my ride' episode. Goodluck, sire!

1 Like

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by bissalla: 9:50pm On Apr 30, 2015
Iinteresting thread. Wish you the very best.
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by dubie92: 7:04am On May 01, 2015
Dude I can't wait no longer!!!!!Dude I can't wait no longer!!!!!Dude I can't wait no longer!!!!!
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:35am On May 01, 2015
Eagerly waiting for the super charge/ turbo charge installation.
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Readonee35L(m): 7:46am On May 01, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Eagerly waiting for the super charge/ turbo charge installation.

grin
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Nobody: 8:26am On May 01, 2015
I would not waste time and money boosting the existing engine.

It'll need a rebuild first, then add the cost of fabricating an exhaust manifold and crossover pipe to take a Garret T3 turbo, bigger fuel pump, blow-through carburettor. Expensive for a street car in a country like Nigeria with minimal support. Boost it in stock form, and it will grenade. Especially with Nigeria's rubbish gasoline.

Then consider a custom deck lid to accommodate a turbo, it gets even more expensive.

I would go with a flat 4 Porsche engine, from a Porsche 356 or 912. Or push the boat further and install a Boxer 4 from an Alfa 33. Expect up to 130hp. Then there's the 2.0 Boxer 4 from Subaru. Non-turbo could net 140hp with the correct fuelling.

The VW Beetle 1500/1600 made 30-45hp when it was new. Fast forward 30+ years, most of those horses have escaped into the surrounding countryside.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by timbros(m): 11:13am On May 01, 2015
Nice thread op.

Following earnestly.
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Chibzee2: 11:23am On May 01, 2015
Siena:
I would not waste time and money boosting the existing engine.

It'll need a rebuild first, then add the cost of fabricating an exhaust manifold and crossover pipe to take a Garret T3 turbo, bigger fuel pump, blow-through carburettor. Expensive for a street car in a country like Nigeria with minimal support. Boost it in stock form, and it will grenade. Especially with Nigeria's rubbish gasoline.

Then consider a custom deck lid to accommodate a turbo, it gets even more expensive.

I would go with a flat 4 Porsche engine, from a Porsche 356 or 912. Or push the boat further and install a Boxer 4 from an Alfa 33. Expect up to 130hp. Then there's the 2.0 Boxer 4 from Subaru. Non-turbo could net 140hp with the correct fuelling.

The VW Beetle 1500/1600 made 30-45hp when it was new. Fast forward 30+ years, most of those horses have escaped into the surrounding countryside.
haha countryside eh.
I think I might go for the Subaru sti engine, but yet to make my mind up on that though. Still comparing the best and less complicated fit.
Siena I think I'll need your help on this one. Which most reliable engine would fit with minimum work force and little or no structural change and probably almost as economical as the stock beetle engine.
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by dazekid(m): 11:58am On May 01, 2015
Cool thread.
Following.
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Denn(m): 6:06pm On May 01, 2015
Screwface:
By the time you are done with the remaking of this car, you'd have spent enough to atleast get you a decent Nissan Micra. I'm keenly following this 'Fix my ride' episode. Goodluck, sire!

A Nissan Micra will always be a Nissan Micra...and who remembers a Micra? Not even Nissan.

A classic beetle on the other hand will forever remain in the annals....

Have you heard of the ford model T? Cost of buying some would open a nissan Micra dealership.

Its not about just any car to move me from point A to B...its more than that...and not everyone can appreciate that

Type 2 vw was sold for 157k USD.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/02/24/classic-volkswagen-type-2-samba-bus-sells-for-157000/

2 Likes

Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Denn(m): 6:10pm On May 01, 2015
Chibzee2:
haha countryside eh.
I think I might go for the Subaru sti engine, but yet to make my mind up on that though. Still comparing the best and less complicated fit.
Siena I think I'll need your help on this one. Which most reliable engine would fit with minimum work force and little or no structural change and probably almost as economical as the stock beetle engine.

Bros...do you really need to replace the stock engine?
Re: Work In Progress (vw Beetle) by Screwface(m): 6:18pm On May 01, 2015
Denn:

A Nissan Micra will always be a Nissan Micra...and who remembers a Micra? Not even Nissan.

A classic beetle on the other hand will forever remain in the annals....

Have you heard of the ford model T? Cost of buying one would open a nissan Micra dealership.

Its not about just any car to move me from point A to B...its more than that...and not everyone can appreciate that

Sorry sir. I wasn't really referring to you with the update. It was an update for the man spending the money.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

11 Die, 8 Injured In Ondo Auto Crash (pictured Of The Vehicles) / Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria / Would You Buy This Almost Brand New 1985 BMW 323i For N30m? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.