Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

The Aburi Prophecy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Aburi Prophecy (3754 Views)

The Aburi Accord That Wld Have Saved Nigeria From All Her Problems -femi Adesina / Federal Government's Violation Of The Aburi Accord Led To The Nigerian Civil War / TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Aburi Prophecy by johnydon22(m): 12:19am On Apr 21, 2015
The Aburi Prophecy
"Let us go further apart a little and be in peace than come closer together and clash" This was the word of Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu when he was presenting his argument for Nigeria to embrace a confederal system of government in Aburi, Ghana.

Those words continued ringing into my mind when ever i see a thread that is tribally inclined on nairaland and the hate and resentment exhibited by the members of different tribes in Nigeria against each other and it rang a question in my mind.
"Shouldn't it have been better if we had followed ojukwu's suggestion and embraced a confederal system of government?"

Those words in Aburi started sounding like a prophecy to me.
In a confederal system of government, every region is independent of each other, more power will be at the state more than the center.

Every region will be allowed to develop and manage their resources on their own.
In a confederal system of government, A man from eastern region cannot go to the west to vote or be voted for and same applies to others.

But we have employed a federal system of government and thus in doing this we have broken down any wall separating us.

We have only one Federal Republic of Nigeria, and so in this FEDERAL system of government, their is nothing like Igbo land, yoruba land, hausa land, tiv land; what we have is Nigeria.

So a yoruba man in the north is not an immigrant or a visitor, he is at home and have every right to own a property and contest for any post there in the north be it governor or anything as long as he is voted for, he is eligible and qualified.

An hausa man in the east is not an immigrant or a visitor, he is a Nigerian in Nigeria and that is it.

Same goes for an igbo man in the west. That is true federalism.

But we are not doing that, the federal system in Nigeria is not true federalism because people still think they own one specific region but this is not true.

If we were in a confederal system of government, this would be so, but we are not, we are a federal state and so Should embrace true federalism.

Was Ojukwu right when he proposed Confederalism, or was Nnamdi Azikiwe right when he stated "Let us forget our differences and be together" which is real federalism.

If we truly are in a federal system then we should employ full federalism by tearing down any tribal wall or tribal ideologies.

If we can't then i think it's right to say "Ojukwu was right after all in Aburi"

Please guys feel free to air your take on this ....

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by shortgun(m): 12:27am On Apr 21, 2015
You have spoken well, if truly we want to practice the federal system of Government we should do it with sincerity.

Every Nigerian should be treated equally no matter the part of the Country he finds himself.

1 Like

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 12:52am On Apr 21, 2015
Thank you shortgun but the poster below have something tangible to add
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 21, 2015
Continue
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by onatisi(m): 1:42am On Apr 21, 2015
shortgun:
You have spoken well, if truly we want to practice the federal system of Government we should do it with sincerity.

Every Nigerian should be treated equally no matter the part of the Country he finds himself.
it will never and can never happen as long as there is oil in nigeria. What is keeping this country together as one is the oil and the money from it . Powerful Politicians from every tribe and region make their own money from that oil .
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 2:01am On Apr 21, 2015
No system of government would work if divisive groups, like MASSOB are allowed in the country.

2 Likes

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 3:49am On Apr 21, 2015
theAtheist101:
No system of government would work if divisive groups, like MASSOB are allowed in the country.

It is only Massob that is divisive?

What will you call the Jihardists up north?

Have you heard about the agitations in the Niger Delta?

do you know the full meaning of OPC?

The mentality of people like you are the very reason we cannot stop our journey to Biafra!

Mind you sir, I am not a member of the massob!
Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 5:13am On Apr 21, 2015
Why is there no traffic on this wonderful thread

@op, I totally agree with you. Even a 5yr old knows that the term ONE NIGERIA is fake undecided

3 Likes

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 21, 2015
IdiAmin1:

@op, I totally agree with you. Even a 5yr old knows that the term ONE NIGERIA is fake undecided
sirrrrrrrrrrrrrr this is HABEEB OLANREWAJU
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 21, 2015
noblezone:

It is only Massob that is divisive?

What will you call the Jihardists up north?

Have you heard about the agitations in the Niger Delta?

do you know the full meaning of OPC?

The mentality of people like you are the very reason we cannot stop our journey to Biafra!

Mind you sir, I am not a member of the massob!
Cheers.

Didn't you read the word "like" in that post?

Those jihardists are terrorists. So they don't care about any country. All they want the implementation of their doctrines.

The ND militants fought the injustice of Nigeria government against their people. They recognised the government and press home their demands.

OPC is also in the league of MASSOB. The central government shouldn't allow groups like that to exist in the country. You don't come telling everybody that you want out of the country, because things didn't go your way.

What pains me most is the way people play to the gallery of those thugs.

No one is stopping you from your journey to Biafra. Just don't trek on Nigeria on that journey. My simple advice: you guys should get a two plots of land, outside Nigeria of course, and start the building of your country there.

1 Like

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by johnydon22(m): 12:18pm On Apr 21, 2015
Seun, lalasticlala do the needful... we need more opinions on this..
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by wordcat(m): 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
theAtheist101:

Didn't you read the word "like" in that post?

Those jihardists are terrorists. So they don't care about any country. All they want the implementation of their doctrines.

The ND militants fought the injustice of Nigeria government against their people. They recognised the government and press home their demands.

OPC is also in the league of MASSOB. The central government shouldn't allow groups like that to exist in the country. You don't come telling everybody that you want out of the country, because things didn't go your way.

What pains me most is the way people play to the gallery of those thugs.

No one is stopping you from your journey to Biafra. Just don't trek on Nigeria on that journey. My simple advice: you guys should get a two plots of land, outside Nigeria of course, and start the building of your country there.

A call was made that Igbos in Lagos must vote for a particular candidate or die in the lagoon, that statement was not made by a Group like OPC and MASSOB so u see that those groups are not really our problem

Federalism can not work in Nigeria whether u call it true federalism or whatever becox we don't love ourselves

2 Likes

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 21, 2015
wordcat:

A call was made that Igbos in Lagos must vote for a particular candidate or die in the lagoon, that statement was not made by a Group like OPC and MASSOB so u see that those groups are not really our problem

Federalism can not work in Nigeria whether u call it true federalism or whatever becox we don't love ourselves

That same problem happens everywhere. No one truly loves the other. There would always be problems when people gather together.

The king said nonsense and every reasonable person knows that. The person he was supposedly campaigning and his political party distanced themselves from his statement. A man made a mistake once is less threat to our unity, than groups of thugs always clamouring for disintegration of the country. It confuses the people, so many are scared of making investments in other regions, because of the threat these thugs pose.

I don't really care about the form of government we practice. The first and second biggest economy in world don't operate the same form of government, yet they are successful. I just want us to stop making useless noise and get our acts together.

1 Like

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 3:55am On Apr 22, 2015
IdiAmin1:

sir.the thing is closing today by midnight
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 6:23am On Apr 22, 2015
IdiAmin1:

There will no traffic to threads like this!

Nigerians are scared of the truth!

Mark my words, the circle of blood will continue until we sit down and do the needful!

1 Like

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by PPAngel(f): 7:00am On Apr 22, 2015
[size=18pt]Good fences make good neighbours[/size]

The coup of 1966 was an MI5 operation to. Create a centrist govt so as to breakdown regional autonomy, put the north in power and in control of the oil fields in the Then Eastern region.

Today, their influence is more than ever in our polity.

I foresee the ND militants returning to the creeks because with the sort of characters in the APC, what little resouurces the ND gets will be scuttled.

The end is here and God willing so, there isn't a damn thing America, Britain and the parasitic SW and North can do!

It goes beyound resource control but it is a demand for equoty which the arrogating Yorubas and scheming Hausa Arabs are not ready to discuss.
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by dokyOloye: 7:03am On Apr 22, 2015
theAtheist101:
inferiority complex on display,
What about opc,mend,boko haram,etc?
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 7:10am On Apr 22, 2015
theAtheist101:

That same problem happens everywhere. No one truly loves the other. There would always be problems when people gather together.

The king said nonsense and every reasonable person knows that. The person he was supposedly campaigning and his political party distanced themselves from his statement. A man made a mistake once is less threat to our unity, than groups of thugs always clamouring for disintegration of the country. It confuses the people, so many are scared of making investments in other regions, because of the threat these thugs pose.

I don't really care about the form of government we practice. The first and second biggest economy in world don't operate the same form of government, yet they are successful. I just want us to stop making useless noise and get our acts together.
imagine the pains your parent as passing tru ... To have a bigot as a son... ... I pity them
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 11:29am On Apr 22, 2015
dokyOloye:
inferiority complex on display,
What about opc,mend,boko haram,etc?

Learn comprehension!
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by dokyOloye: 11:31am On Apr 22, 2015
theAtheist101:

Learn comprehension!
are U feeling inferior?
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 22, 2015
Lemon12:
imagine the pains your parent as passing tru ... To have a bigot as a son... ... I pity them

Well, you certainly lack proper home training.
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 22, 2015
dokyOloye:
are U feeling inferior?

Are you? You wrote it.
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by johnydon22(m): 11:00am On Jun 25, 2015
Cc. lalasticlala ... ishilove
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Rilwayne001: 11:08am On Jun 25, 2015
johnydon22:
Cc. lalastic.lala ... ishilo ve
Is it by force grin
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by johnydon22(m): 11:12am On Jun 25, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Is it by force grin
Noooooo. . . . .Na who talk am cheesy
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Rilwayne001: 11:21am On Jun 25, 2015
johnydon22:

Noooooo. . . . .Na who talk am cheesy

Is it by force that this thread be move to FP?

Meanwhile, where can I download download radio biafra? I need to listen to what that kanu is saying.
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by johnydon22(m): 11:30am On Jun 25, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Is it by force that this thread be move to FP?

Meanwhile, where can I download download radio biafra? I need to listen to what that kanu is saying.
No its not

I don't know o, if you really pay attention to my threads you would see that i am an advocate of one Nigeria, but if really Nigeria will disintegrate it should be diplomatic and peace. . . Am a humanist, and totally against any thing that kills people or destroys the planet we live in...

Am against Wars and Violence.
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Rilwayne001: 11:36am On Jun 25, 2015
johnydon22:
No its not

I don't know o, if you really pay attention to my threads you would see that i am an advocate of one Nigeria, but if really Nigeria will disintegrate it should be diplomatic and peace. . . Am a humanist, and totally against any thing that kills people or destroys the planet we live in...

Am against Wars and Violence.

I'm also against war and violence.

But do think the bolded is possible? just like that?
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by johnydon22(m): 11:47am On Jun 25, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Well for one it is a sure knowledge that any amount of Civil now is the end for Nigeria. . . No country goes through two civil wars and remains the same...The international community will disintegrate the country if any such occurs again.

Another civil war in Nigeria and Nigeria will disintegrate for real it wouldn't take months.

If igbos really need to secede all they need do is start a war and that is it, but how many souls will that end, at what price. . probably thousands of lives....

For peaceful disintegration, For now that seems far fetched because Nigerians still don't want to tell themselves the truth whether we want to stay together or not.. You read one of my threads "Irony of One Nigeria".

Do we want to be together or not? Our Actions and words are contradictory..

e.g: Here in nairaland you will hear one person say..
" Igbos should go"

then later on say

"Nothing can divide Nigeria"

You see, we need to decide what we really want, If everyone figures out its not working and be true to ourselves then i think peaceful disintegration is possible but if we continue this double standard blowings, then i don't see that happening.
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by Rilwayne001: 12:22pm On Jun 25, 2015
^ You are right on point.
Re: The Aburi Prophecy by dabosuker(m): 2:06am On Jul 06, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Some time last year i know the Scots voted among themselves if they still wanted to be part of the United Kingdom, In 2015 if we must disintegrate , it must not require a WAR.
seriously Nigeria is not working &"1 Nigeria", is only a dream that would never be a reality, too many nations in Nigeria that hate themselves , 2 yrs ago billions of task payers money was spent on a so called national CONFAB, every useless thing was debated except the white Elephant in the room "Do we want to keep cohabiting?", it was like everyone shyed away from that question, before talking about terms of cohabitation, we need to first ask if we would love to cohabit.

1 Like

Re: The Aburi Prophecy by johnydon22(m): 12:06pm On Feb 19, 2016
Rilwayne001:
^ You are right on point.
smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Imo State Currently The Least Developing State In Southeast? / SHOCKING: Army Corporal In Presidential Guards Identified As Boko Haram Combatan / 10 Things Boko Haram Leader Abubakar Shekau Said In New Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.