Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners (27920 Views)

Xenophobia: International Criminal Court To Probe Zuma, Zulu King / South Africans Ignore Appeal, Continue Attacks On Foreigners / Meet Zulu King Godwill Zwelithi Whose Remarks Launched The Xenophobic Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Owodiong(m): 7:29am On Apr 21, 2015
Jst bcox nja pple retaliate by destroying 2 mtn station....taaa nja no de carry last for anytin

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by delta234: 7:30am On Apr 21, 2015
eaglechild:
If only Oba Akiolu could do the same.
Are u cannibal
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 21, 2015
FKO1:
SOUTH African Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini condemned attacks on foreign nationals as he tried to deflect criticism that his comments last month fuelled violence that left at least seven people dead.

Immigrants must be protected, irrespective of their nationalities, Zwelithini told thousands of members of South Africa’s biggest ethnic group at a stadium in the eastern port city of Durban.

Authorities must investigate the possibility of a “third force,” which is instigating the violence under the guise of Zulus, he said.

Giving Zulus a bad name

The monarch got a lot of stick after he was cited by the Durban-based Mercury newspaper on March 23 as saying in a speech that foreigners were depriving South Africans of economic opportunities and should return home. While the king’s office said his comments were misinterpreted, Johannesburg-based ENCA has broadcast an audio recording, which it said was Zwelithini speaking in Zulu, calling on immigrants to “take their bags and go back to where they come from.”

“There are many vile things being written in the news about me and the Zulu people,” Zwelithini, who was this time dressed in a formal business suit and tie, told his supporters on Monday. “I ask you to calm down and have peace as many people have died and I ask you to avoid the trap being set.”

Attacks against immigrants that began in Durban and surrounding townships less than two weeks ago spread to Johannesburg last week. A Mozambican man’s murder in Alexandra township in Johannesburg on April 18 was captured by photographs on the front page of the Sunday Times yesterday.

In January, at least six people died during attacks and looting of shops owned by mainly Somalis, Ethiopians and Pakistanis in townships around Johannesburg.

“Whether it be in rural or urban areas I ask all to adhere to the rule of law and show that we know how to behave,” Zwelithini said. “We are a nation that loves peace. I ask for peace to reign, dear Zulu people.”

He called for representatives of foreign nationals and the government to meet with the monarch to draw up a peace accord over the next three months.

Buthelezi speaks out

Mangosuthu Buthelezi, the leader of South Africa’s Inkatha Freedom Party and a member of the Zulu royal family, also called for an end to attacks against immigrants. Buthelezi took a critical view of the attacks much earlier.

“Chasing out other nations will not solve our problems because they are our problems,” he told the crowd.

Several Zulu members in the crowd wore traditional garb, such as animal skins, and sang and danced with spears.

The anti-foreigner violence is the worst since 2008, when about 60 people were killed. The tension comes against the backdrop of a weakening economy and a 24% jobless rate.

While the government blames criminals rather than xenophobia for much of the violence, the presence of thousands of immigrants in South African townships has stoked resentment among some locals who see them as competitors for jobs and housing.

President Jacob Zuma canceled a state visit to Indonesia this week and visited a displacement camp for foreign nationals in Durban on the weekend to reassure them that the government was doing all it can to resolve the violence.

Governments from Nigeria to Zimbabwe and Malawi have condemned the violence and called on South African authorities to take decisive action to contain it.

Companies including Sasol Ltd. and Kenmare Resources Plc have repatriated South African employees working in Mozambique following threats of reprisal attacks, as concerns spiralled that South African businesses operating in sub-Saharan Africa would suffer.

http://m.mgafrica.com/article/2015-04-20-as-africa-watches-zulu-king-finally-calls-for-end-to-south-african-attacks-on-african-nationals-blames-third-force#.VTXZftoo9zQ

Lalasticlala

To hell with the Zulus!!!! Nomadic animals....by the name zulus what more can you say.
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by tete7000(m): 7:33am On Apr 21, 2015
Medicine after death. Anyway, they say it is better late than never. I hope some of our monarchs here are learning what their irresponsible utterances could cost.' Oro oloro l'afi n s'arikogbon, ogbon ologbon l'afi n ko ra eni' - 'it is better to learn from others experience'

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by kraftykc(m): 7:33am On Apr 21, 2015
Won't stop DSTV and MTN boycott by me. Xenophobia aside, those companies don chop my money in excess.
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by nairaman66(m): 7:34am On Apr 21, 2015
The recent upheavals in South Africa has shown how wicked and selfish they are. They cannot be trusted again!!

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Diligence: 7:36am On Apr 21, 2015
Seriously, if u compare Zulu's king's speech wt that of oba akiolu, u wld see that the zulu's was a saint, but oba akiolu...u hv got to listen/watch again and then type out those 'lyrics' of oba akiolu, u wld wonder: in this time and age!

I deduce from oba akiolu's utterance that civilisation does not cure innate bestiality...

Pple hv also wondered why abike dabiri never criticised oba akiolu's hate speech, but quickly jumped on zulu's, condemning same...and these are pple we call leaders!

3 Likes

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by madri4u: 7:36am On Apr 21, 2015
Zulu is offering blood sacrifice to their god's..It has been the tradition of africans since BC...D Word Africa Signifies 'Dark n Evil'..Dats why africans leaders have dark n evil mind inside dem, without leading with consciousness!
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Nobody: 7:37am On Apr 21, 2015
It's easier to make nasty statements but retrieving them becomes a mountainous task. Words are indeed powerful, this king must be tried in the ICC.
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by mrtruth: 7:37am On Apr 21, 2015
I've been thinking it.....is there something terminally wrong in the heart of the Black man? Perhaps barbarism? Imagine south Africans soon forget foreigners made them whatever they are proud of today. Also even in nigeria, sometimes iam forced to reason could our lives have been better off today under the colonial masters? Have we as a nation been able to sustain the pace of growth we enjoyed under the whites. Wouldn't we have been better off under those white thieves than our black thieves?
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by iykebesbt1(m): 7:41am On Apr 21, 2015
victorazy:

Like George Finidi?
exactly
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by dayodare49o: 7:46am On Apr 21, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
Illiteracy and poverty are brothers from zulu clan.
I don't know if a Zulu man can offer something good. What do you expect from Zulu? Can Zulu offer what he does not have? Let Zulu King be.
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Brownhypo: 7:53am On Apr 21, 2015
sadNigeria WITCH Don visit you abi.....?
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Nomswag: 7:53am On Apr 21, 2015
This is the outcome of smoking weed at old age

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by seye15627(m): 7:56am On Apr 21, 2015
Dabss:
chairman why bring up this issue again?

Na wa for the guy, a war monger. He might even be worse. All these our kings sef no go stop to dey take ogogoro.
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by AJETDOTUN: 7:59am On Apr 21, 2015
How I wish....DSTV closes down...MTN goes back to their country and let's see who will be at the loosing end...
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Gbengard(m): 8:08am On Apr 21, 2015
FKO1:
SOUTH African Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini condemned attacks on foreign nationals as he tried to deflect criticism that his comments last month fuelled violence that left at least seven people dead.

Immigrants must be protected, irrespective of their nationalities, Zwelithini told thousands of members of South Africa’s biggest ethnic group at a stadium in the eastern port city of Durban.

Authorities must investigate the possibility of a “third force,” which is instigating the violence under the guise of Zulus, he said.

Giving Zulus a bad name

The monarch got a lot of stick after he was cited by the Durban-based Mercury newspaper on March 23 as saying in a speech that foreigners were depriving South Africans of economic opportunities and should return home. While the king’s office said his comments were misinterpreted, Johannesburg-based ENCA has broadcast an audio recording, which it said was Zwelithini speaking in Zulu, calling on immigrants to “take their bags and go back to where they come from.”

“There are many vile things being written in the news about me and the Zulu people,” Zwelithini, who was this time dressed in a formal business suit and tie, told his supporters on Monday. “I ask you to calm down and have peace as many people have died and I ask you to avoid the trap being set.”

Attacks against immigrants that began in Durban and surrounding townships less than two weeks ago spread to Johannesburg last week. A Mozambican man’s murder in Alexandra township in Johannesburg on April 18 was captured by photographs on the front page of the Sunday Times yesterday.

In January, at least six people died during attacks and looting of shops owned by mainly Somalis, Ethiopians and Pakistanis in townships around Johannesburg.

“Whether it be in rural or urban areas I ask all to adhere to the rule of law and show that we know how to behave,” Zwelithini said. “We are a nation that loves peace. I ask for peace to reign, dear Zulu people.”

He called for representatives of foreign nationals and the government to meet with the monarch to draw up a peace accord over the next three months.

Buthelezi speaks out

Mangosuthu Buthelezi, the leader of South Africa’s Inkatha Freedom Party and a member of the Zulu royal family, also called for an end to attacks against immigrants. Buthelezi took a critical view of the attacks much earlier.

“Chasing out other nations will not solve our problems because they are our problems,” he told the crowd.

Several Zulu members in the crowd wore traditional garb, such as animal skins, and sang and danced with spears.

The anti-foreigner violence is the worst since 2008, when about 60 people were killed. The tension comes against the backdrop of a weakening economy and a 24% jobless rate.

While the government blames criminals rather than xenophobia for much of the violence, the presence of thousands of immigrants in South African townships has stoked resentment among some locals who see them as competitors for jobs and housing.

President Jacob Zuma canceled a state visit to Indonesia this week and visited a displacement camp for foreign nationals in Durban on the weekend to reassure them that the government was doing all it can to resolve the violence.

Governments from Nigeria to Zimbabwe and Malawi have condemned the violence and called on South African authorities to take decisive action to contain it.

Companies including Sasol Ltd. and Kenmare Resources Plc have repatriated South African employees working in Mozambique following threats of reprisal attacks, as concerns spiralled that South African businesses operating in sub-Saharan Africa would suffer.

http://m.mgafrica.com/article/2015-04-20-as-africa-watches-zulu-king-finally-calls-for-end-to-south-african-attacks-on-african-nationals-blames-third-force#.VTXZftoo9zQ

Lalasticlala

Ooh Zulu King so you pocketed all South Africans brain including Zuma? No wonder they are always in 3-D mode (Deaf, Dumb and Daft)! Please return it to them, there losing there senses!

2 Likes

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by buoye1(m): 8:10am On Apr 21, 2015
make dem continue ooo

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by slap1(m): 8:10am On Apr 21, 2015
The dead are worse off.
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by dwayni: 8:14am On Apr 21, 2015
Too late son of a bittch

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by AlphaDibia(m): 8:30am On Apr 21, 2015
You can't change how a people feel about a particular place, group, etc. We condemn South Africa for doing things that we do. We're such hippocrites. Futhermore, the link I have posted echoes the Obas sentiments about the igbos living in Yoruba lanD. The funny thing is, this guy lives in another man's land While suggesting that foreigners in his own land to go away.

https://www.change.org/p/texas-medical-board-investigate-a-dallas-based-cardiologist-dr-adeniran-abraham-ariyo-who-called-for-xenophobic-attack-against-igbos-the-way-foreigners-were-violently-attacked-in-south-africa?recruiter=281508356&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-reason_msg
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by rightflank: 8:35am On Apr 21, 2015
what's with the ''the king said this, the king said that''? What the hell did their President say?
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by idris4eva(m): 8:42am On Apr 21, 2015
Now he his back to is sensess....tiger man
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by yilly(f): 9:05am On Apr 21, 2015
If its jealousy and envy, y is New York still having almost all people from all d countries in this world in its country! Its all about unity in diversity. I profit from you, you profit from me! This king should mind what he says before the blood of the innocents fallen fall on his head.

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 21, 2015
Mumu man.

Ancient mentality..

Early man..
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by shammah1(m): 9:08am On Apr 21, 2015
It's. Little but too late. It took him 22 days before condemning it after the evil deeds has already been done by his infants.

ICC awaits you wicked king.
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 21, 2015
shammah1:
It's. Little but too late. It took him 22 days before condemning it after the evil deeds has already been done by his infants.

ICC awaits you wicked king.

The way some of you guys talk about ICC as though ICC has no job but looking into local issues. YOu go to ICC when it is practically impossible to settle a matter at the national level due to strong opposing political views on the matter or where it is practically impossible for justice to be achieved at the national level.

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by nora66(f): 9:13am On Apr 21, 2015
FKO1:

Giving Zulus a bad name

Buthelezi speaks out

Lalasticlala
dumela to all south africa
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 21, 2015
AJETDOTUN:
How I wish....DSTV closes down...MTN goes back to their country and let's see who will be at the loosing end...

Unfortunately Nigeria will loose as much as South Africa if not more. Unemployment will rise significantly and with that kidnapping and armed robbery.

Resolving matters peacefully is better than rash decision any time.

1 Like

Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by volcanoash(f): 9:19am On Apr 21, 2015
datguru:
That will not stop him from facing the ICC
Inasmuch as i don't like what the king did, you guys should just leave icc out of it. The organisation is highy politicized and is being used by the west to hunt percieved enemies. I think bush and obama ahould have been invited to explain their roles in iraq and libya respectively. But instead all i hear is zulu king for icc,jonathan conceded for fear of icc. Smh
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by amadex(m): 9:19am On Apr 21, 2015
Shoro niyen
Re: Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners by adaxxy: 9:27am On Apr 21, 2015
Stupid monkey ..your advice is too late

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sergey Ryabkov: US-NATO Arms Convoys In Ukraine Legitimate Targets / George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial / Facebook, Instagram Extend Donald Trump's Ban Indefinitely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.