Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids (5023 Views)

Nigerian Man Who Intentionally Shuts Down Wife In Front Of Their Kids Changes / Early marriage advantages {for Women And Men} Must Read / Hello (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by mimini: 1:26pm On Apr 21, 2015
I am a mother of 3 kids.I had not started working when I had my first kids which are twins. I rejected job offers because I didn't have the heart to leave my kids with a HOUSE HELP and don't have any relatives staying with me or leaving in the city where I am that could help me. When they were of school age, I took a job, but stopped working in a few weeks when they fell sick.Giving your boss excuses always because of your sick kid is no fun at all. Especially as they are twins; when one is trying to recuperate, the other twin is falling sick. So it takes a longer time before reporting to work again.
Now I have a baby that is almost a year old and I am thinking of working and building my career. Please working class mothers with little kids and babies, how do you care for your kids and go to work at the same time, especially when they fall ill, without it affecting your job or causing your boss to frown?

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by bukatyne(f): 1:28pm On Apr 21, 2015
mimini:
I am a mother of 3 kids.I had not started working when I had my first kids which are twins. I rejected job offers because I didn't have the heart to leave my kids with a HOUSE HELP and don't have any relatives staying with me or leaving in the city where I am that could help me. When they were of school age, I took a job, but stopped working in a few weeks when they fell sick.Giving your boss excuses always because of your sick kid is no fun at all. Especially as they are twins; when one is trying to recuperate, the other twin is falling sick. So it takes a longer time before reporting to work again.
Now I have a baby that is almost a year old and I am thinking of working and building my career. Please working class mothers with little kids and babies, how do you care for your kids and go to work at the same time, especially when they fall ill, without it affecting your job or causing your boss to frown?

@OP:

What course did you read/what do want to build a career in?

What about your husband?
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by mimini: 1:43pm On Apr 21, 2015
@bukatyne

What course did you read/what do want to build a career in?

What about your husband?[/quote]

I read Geology. Would love to build a career in Education so that I would have time for my kids. My husband is doing well. In his opinion, he wouldn't want me to stress myself in working for now, or have a less stressful job if i am so eager to work so i would have time for the kids too.
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by mimini: 1:46pm On Apr 21, 2015
@bukatyne

I read Geology. Would love to build a career in Education so that I would have time for my kids. My husband is doing well. In his opinion, he wouldn't want me to stress myself in working for now, or have a less stressful job if i am so eager to work so i would have time for the kids too.
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Dyt(f): 1:47pm On Apr 21, 2015
Good choice
Teaching job not bad
And you could as well go into business
You will have more time for the kids
And you could even get a ministry job 9am-4pm grin grin

But best I will advice is either a teaching job/business
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by bukatyne(f): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2015
mimini:
@bukatyne

Ok

I agree it is easier birthing while working than joining the workforce with toddlers

Since you want to teach, can you do a PGD in education? Heard that Good schools do not employ teachers without education degree. (Do not know how true)

When you are done, your youngest would be 2+ or 3+.

Then you can start looking for schools with openings for geography teachers.

Can you also consider lecturing? Do you live in close proximity to a university? If So, then you have to do your masters in Geology education or So.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by mutter(f): 2:33pm On Apr 21, 2015
MY dear this is a problem mothers face. You have to joggle and patch and make it work.
Maybe your husband can also once in a rare while take a day or two off. The kid`s are also his wink
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ralphlauren(m): 2:49pm On Apr 21, 2015
what about dropping the kids off at a very good daycare center?

i do not understand all the noise about women unable to combine career with raising kids or giving up their career because of their kids.

being a 'stay-at-home' mum doesnt mean you will have the most intelligent kids on earth. Heck! I am surrounded by people with 1st class degrees with excellent jobs whose mothers all combined motherhood with their careers and they retired as executive directors, MDs of top companies.

having a very good job/impressive career if anything sets a good example for your kids. it shows you are successful, independent, motivated and hardworking

why would someone with a geology degree aspire for a teaching job under the guise of ''you want to raise your kids''? what happened to oil and gas firms? do you know you can work in the office and not on a rig with your degree? oil and gas jobs are actually the least stressful. by 4pm, the staff bus is waiting to drive everyone home.

why did you study geology in the first place? you must have known you were going to be a mother some day, so why didnt you just get a degree in education rather than putting yourself through the rigours of acquiring a degree in geology?

one day those kids will leave home. dont forget that. by age 12/13, they are off to boarding school. in sane countries, a 16yr old is classed an adult. by age 18, they are off to university. before you know it, they are married. so dont give up on your dreams/career because of them.

women, stop limiting yourselves!!

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ewuro4: 3:22pm On Apr 21, 2015
^^Tell them. I'm tired.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by damiso(f): 3:22pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ralph Lauren are you going to leave an ill child at the daycare? Lil children between 0 and 5 are building up their immune system and some of them tend to have all this niggly lil illnesses e.g tonsillitis, chicken pox that just cant be helped and crop up at the most awkward and annoying times. In my sons nursery just one small episode of vomiting they call you to come pick up the child and they cant return until 48 hours after that incident because bugs tend to spread very fast around lil children as they are always all up in each other's faces. That's why in the UK most organisations have dependants leave for parents with young children.

OP it gets better as they get older so just stick in there. Like Mutter said you and your hubby( depending on if his job allows) have to work out a way where sometimes he will be the one to pick up or step in when these lil emergencies occur. My hubby was the one who had take more time off during the last school holidays as he had some left over annual leave from last year. If you live close to relatives they can also help out from time to time.

The way forward is flexible working time for parents with very young kids. Unfortunately that's not something accessible to everyone everywhere.

Ewuro4:
My paediatrician can't stand these daycares that call parents at work for fever or nausea. It's just plain ridiculous.

its sooooo annoying embarassed but the UK is health and safety cra,zy.

I get a call EVERY single time my daughter has an accident on the playground. And I mean even if she just bumps into another child.

The voicemail goes thus ' xxxxx mum this is the school calling Bleep bumped into another child on the playground and hit her head. We have applied an ice pack but we are watching her . She is with the school nurse and we might call you back if you need to pick her up' angry

and they will still put accident form in her bag o.

Ask the child later and she cant remember she bumped into anyone grin

I don't blame them sha.The nature of my job shows me what a litigious blame culture we live in so I guess they need to cover their backs.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ewuro4: 3:25pm On Apr 21, 2015
My paediatrician can't stand these daycares that call parents at work for fever or nausea. It's just plain ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ralphlauren(m): 3:30pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ewuro4:
^^Tell them. I'm tired.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Ewuro shocked you agreed with my post ?

na which soap i use baff today grin

i was actually expecting daggers from you and a sermon on why a mum should stay with her kids till they are 25yrs old grin grin

Oh well, I'm glad you see some sense in my post grin

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by cococandy(f): 3:32pm On Apr 21, 2015
kiss kiss
Ralphlauren:

i do not understand all the noise about women unable to combine career with raising kids or giving up their career because of their kids.

being a 'stay-at-home' mum doesnt mean you will have the most intelligent kids on earth. Heck! I am surrounded by people with 1st class degrees with excellent jobs whose mothers all combined motherhood with their careers and they retired as executive directors, MDs of top companies.

having a very good job/impressive career if anything sets a good example for your kids. it shows you are successful, independent, motivated and hardworking

why would someone with a geology degree aspire for a teaching job under the guise of ''you want to raise your kids''? what happened to oil and gas firms? do you know you can work in the office and not on a rig with your degree? oil and gas jobs are actually the least stressful. by 4pm, the staff bus is waiting to drive everyone home.

why did you study geology in the first place? you must have known you were going to be a mother some day, so why didnt you just get a degree in education rather than putting yourself through the rigours of acquiring a degree in geology?

one day those kids will leave home. dont forget that. by age 12/13, they are off to boarding school. in sane countries, a 16yr old is classed an adult. by age 18, they are off to university. before you know it, they are married. so dont give up on your dreams/career because of them.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by bukatyne(f): 3:35pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

I agree

However, have you considered that Some husbands are not willing for their wives to work? Build a career?

Their are a lot of facets to This

Besides, very successful women have their husbands' full support

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ewuro4: 3:41pm On Apr 21, 2015
Damiso,

Once they suck you into their ridiculous call sequence to relieve their workload, they will never stop. That's just uncalled for and unfair for the parents. I mean they won't reduce your monthly charges , or do they?

Have 7 homeopathic medications ( you know how overrated those are too grin) per each child's class/room. And they have their health cards details & pedi phone numbers, with parent consent. so they never page except the center is on fire cheesy
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ralphlauren(m): 3:43pm On Apr 21, 2015
damiso:
Ralph Lauren are you going to leave an ill child at the daycare? Lil children between 0 and 5 are building up their immune system and some of them tend to have all this niggly lil illnesses e.g tonsillitis, chicken pox that just cant be helped and crop up at the most awkward and annoying times. In my sons nursery just one small episode of vomiting they call you to come pick up the child and they cant return until 48 hours after that incident because bugs tend to spread very fast around lil children as they are always all up in each other's faces. That's why in the UK most organisations have dependants leave for parents with young children.

OP it gets better as they get older so just stick in there. Like Mutter said you and your hubby( depending on if his job allows) have to work out a way where sometimes he will be the one to pick up or step in when these lil emergencies occur. My hubby was the one who had take more time off during the last school holidays as he had some left over annual leave from last year. If you live close to relatives they can also help out from time to time.

The way forward is flexible working time for parents with very young kids. Unfortunately that's not something accessible to everyone everywhere.

its sooooo annoying embarassed but the UK is health and safety cra,zy.

I get a call EVERY single time my daughter has an accident on the playground. And I mean even if she just bumps into another child.

damiso, taking time off from work (one day to a week) to take care of a sick child is different from giving up your career entirely to raise a child.

in as much as you might get the 'stare' from your employer anytime you give 'child care' reasons for not coming to work or coming in late, trust me they understand.

the mothers they have issues with are those not pulling their weight in the workplace. if you know your onions well, the business will actually 'bend' for you.

heck! i know mothers that work few days a week (3days) and attend meetings via skype from the comfort of their homes and trust me, their input to the organisation is immeasurable.

besides, parenting is a joint effort. if the man has a more flexible job, then he has to do the school runs, attend all the PTA meetings, etc. however, some men do not want to get involved. they are happy to push their wives to ''teaching jobs'' under the guise of ''taking care of the kids'' while they flourish in their own careers which is bullocks if you ask me - after all, they had the kids together, so why cant he make sacrifices too?.

regarding UK's HSE, its for every parents' good. i am all for full disclosure especially with kids. if my kid receives a punch from another, i want to know grin

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ewuro4: 3:49pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Ewuro shocked you agreed with my post ?

na which soap i use baff today grin

i was actually expecting daggers from you and a sermon on why a mum should stay with her kids till they are 25yrs old grin grin

Oh well, I'm glad you see some sense in my post grin

Hehehe cheesy morire

If you expect such response from me then you have been reading the wrong Ewuro's posts and personal convictions on this forum.

I can't stand a lazy woman. Everyone knows this .

That post deserves an Oscars and Emmy. grin
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by damiso(f): 3:50pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ewuro4:
Damiso,

Once they suck you into their ridiculous call sequence to relieve their workload, they will never stop. That's just uncalled for and unfair for the parents. I mean they won't reduce your monthly charges , or do they?

Have 7 homeopathic medications ( you know how overrated those are too grin) per each child's class/room. And they have their health cards details & pedi phone numbers, with parent consent. so they never page except the center is on fire cheesy

They kuku wont reduce the charges o.. Its annoying. Which employer wants someone that will be dashing off (everytime) in the middle of maybe a very busy time for the company?

They say they are trying to play 'safe and for the sake of the other children' but its just common sense sometimes.

I have been blessed with my son though the boy is an Okiri grin You have to be extra vigilant as his mum sef to know when he is ill.
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ralphlauren(m): 3:52pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ewuro4:

Hehehe cheesy morire

If you expect such response from me then you have been reading the wrong Ewuro's posts and personal convictions on this forum.

I can't stand a lazy woman. Everyone knows this .

That post deserves an Oscars and Emmy. grin

i have seen some of your 'fights' with the men on this section, so i just labelled you as 'oni wahala' grin grin

I thot you were the posterlady for 'sit-at-home-mums'. my bad ! must have gotten you mixed up with some other poster

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by damiso(f): 3:55pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

damiso, taking time off from work (one day to a week) to take care of a sick child is different from giving up your career entirely to raise a child.

in as much as you might get the 'stare' from your employer anytime you give 'child care' reasons for not coming to work or coming in late, trust me they understand.

the mothers they have issues with are those not pulling their weight in the workplace. if you know your onions well, the business will actually 'bend' for you.

heck! i know mothers that work few days a week (3days) and attend meetings via skype from the comfort of their homes and trust me, their input to the organisation is immeasurable.

besides, parenting is a joint effort. if the man has a more flexible job, then he has to do the school runs, attend all the PTA meetings, etc. however, some men do not want to get involved. they are happy to push their wives to ''teaching jobs'' under the guise of ''taking care of the kids'' while they flourish in their own careers which is bullocks if you ask me - after all, they had the kids together, so why cant he make sacrifices too?.

regarding UK's HSE, its for every parents' good. i am all for full disclosure especially with kids. if my kid receives a punch from another, i want to know grin

I get you bro and believe me when I say I have been at the end of that 'stare'. grin

Working 3 days is a luxury not everyone can enjoy and believe me the naija 'coporate' world is not a kind place to those sort of 'excuses '.MNCs and the civil service maybe.

will respond properly later I need to log off and leave the office now to pick my pickins grin
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by damiso(f): 3:56pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

i have seen some of your 'fights' with the men on this section, so i just labelled you as 'oni wahala' grin grin

I thot you were the posterlady for 'sit-at-home-mums'. my bad ! must have gotten you mixed up with some other poster

that would be me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ewuro4 and Dayokanu hate alabodos as they call them with a passion grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ralphlauren(m): 4:02pm On Apr 21, 2015
damiso:

that would be me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ewuro4 and Dayokanu hate alabodos as they call them with a passion grin

lmaoooooo grin grin

Okay oh
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ewuro4: 4:02pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Poster wetin? Ahhhhghhh orimiooooohh sad

You must think I'm overweight too cheesy jesu oko ijo.

Anyway, Have a great day. smiley
Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ralphlauren(m): 4:28pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ewuro4:

Poster wetin? Ahhhhghhh orimiooooohh sad

You must think I'm overweight too cheesy jesu oko ijo.

Anyway, Have a great day. smiley

Hahahahahahha. Ewuro, lepa shandy grin

Have a great day too smiley

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ewuro4:
^^Tell them. I'm tired.

grin grin grin grin grin Ekun!!!

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by cococandy(f): 5:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
Sigh.

Breath of fresh air.
Thank you.
Ralphlauren:

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
@ OP, I have nothing against stay at home mums just as long as while staying at home they have some kind of skill they can earn an income from and hopefully it is a skill they can fall back on if for whatever reason they are forced by circumstances to become the sole earner.

I am too practical to be an 'alabodo'!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by babygirlfl: 5:30pm On Apr 21, 2015
I am a mum to a child under five. I am also working and studying at the same time. If you put your mind to it, you can do it. It's not easy but not impossible.

3 Likes

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by Ngokafor(f): 6:04pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

...Gosh i love this post! kiss..you sound like my hubby embarassed

..Imagine studying Medicine or Architecture or Engineering only to end up being a teacher for life!...such a waste in my opinion.

...I will be the first to admit that women with very young children should be with them and not be saddled with very demanding and time-consumming jobs...but as soon they are grown up a bit they should hit the road on bettering themselves..hopefully with a supporting husband in tow.

4 Likes

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by edwife(f): 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
naijababe:
@ OP, I have nothing against stay at home mums just as long as while staying at home they have some kind of skill they can earn an income from and hopefully it is a skill they can fall back on if for whatever reason they are forced by circumstances to become the income sole earner.

I am too practical to be an 'alabodo'!!!

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by ireneidiva(f): 7:54pm On Apr 21, 2015
bukatyne:

I agree

However, have you considered that Some husbands are not willing for their wives to work? Build a career?

Their are a lot of facets to This

Besides, very successful women have their husbands' full support
That needs to be discussed before marriage.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Women On Coping With And Balancing Career With Caring For Their Kids by ireneidiva(f): 7:55pm On Apr 21, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Seconded. Dunno what's up with the whole teaching and business thing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gas Cooker For Sale.... / My Husband Has Been Lying About His Age For 8 Years / Me And My Husband Syndrome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.