Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy (28621 Views)

Remembering Dagrin (drop Some Words If He Meant Anything To You) / VULGAR On The Loose!: D’banj, Phyno, Lil Kesh, Olamide, Dagrin, St Janet…protect / Olamide Is Better Than Dagrin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by kinibigdeal(m): 5:40pm On Apr 21, 2015
REMEMBERING DAGRIN: HIS LIFE, DEATH, LEGACY
Story by Nigeriafilms.com

Wednesday April 22, 2015 will marks five whole years since Olaitan Oladapo Olaonipekun better known as Dagrin passed away.

How he died:

Dagrin died at 6:00PM on Thursday, April 22 - exactly eight days after he was involved in a ghastly accident in front of Alakara Police station, off Agege motor road, Mushin, Lagos.

The late rapper’s car, a Nissan Maxima 2008 model ran into a parked lorry in front of Alakara Police station, Mushin. He was initially admitted at Tai Solarin Hospital, Mushin before he was transferred to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) Idi Araba where Doctors made serious efforts to save his life.

He was admitted at the Intensive Care Unit and operated upon, and later moved to the private wing of the hospital where he died! Doctors at the Lagos State Teaching Hospital LUTH said he survived nine attacks before he finally gave up during the 10th attack. The nation was thrown into mourning; those who didn’t know the rapper Dagrin were forced to (Like me, I didn't know him till he passed on).

His early years:

He started rapping about the age of 14. Dagrin would be at every Hip-Hop show in Lagos, trying to get a three-minute spot on stage’.

Dagrin struggled for years, hopping from one studio to the other, in a quest to record a music album. It took a few years for the struggling act that had been desperately looking for financial support to seal a record deal. In 2006, he released his debut ‘Still on the Matter’ under LEO Entertainment which was mildly received...

His relationship with his Parents:

Dagrin allegedly had a strained relationship with his father, Comrade Olaniyi Abolaji Olanipekun but he was very close with his mother Mrs Olanipekun.

His lovelife: Before his death, Dagrin had also broken ties with his girlfriend Chichi. The couple had dated for seven years but Chichi kept pressuring for more than a mere commitment, friends of the couple say. ‘Dagrin at that time wasn’t ready for marriage so he let her go’, online reports disclosed.

3years after his death:

Three years after, things seem to have changed, Dagrin’s death suddenly inspired a whole lot of rappers to hit the studio spitting in Yoruba language. Now we have the likes of Olamide, BaseOne, Tipsy, Jyhbo, Seriki obviously inspired by the general himself Barack O’grin.

The Dagrin Documentary:

In April 2012, Video director GINI released a documentary ‘Remembering Dagrin’, to mark the second anniversary of the rapper’s death. The one-hour plus clip featured never-before-seen clips and images of Dagrin. It also contained interviews with individuals that crossed the path of the young man and contributed to his rise to fame in the Nigerian music industry.

The one who received all the attention isn’t here to see it… Dagrin toiled and toiled, touched the tip of success and was going for the gusto only to lose it all in the most shocking of ways…

May his soul rest in peace....

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by adorablepepple(f): 6:10pm On Apr 21, 2015
cry,I miss him so much. He was the reason I loved rap music because he always made sense

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by davdandam(m): 10:55pm On Apr 21, 2015
grin baba oshe omo yi jo o lenu embarassed

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 21, 2015
Rip bro!!! Love ya so much

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Smartlux(m): 7:28am On Apr 22, 2015
rest on.,, bro

1 Like

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by kinibigdeal(m): 11:52am On Apr 22, 2015
I think is death brought olamide to limelight

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Tintinnoty(m): 2:18pm On Apr 22, 2015
miss this lyrically blessed dude, he died a month after we met way back in Lasu ...... I remember him telling me alaba ma GBA. He just realised C.E.O then and he came to have meeting with marketers in alaba international...

15 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by 0955eb027(m): 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
Awon artiste mii ni naija, imi nnu won shi maja...
Won ma sare gbagbe bata bi ki bata e ja...
Olorun shin ba elomi shey ninu yin, o shi n ni hit...

GOD bless ur soul broda..
RIP

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Rick9(m): 5:44pm On Apr 22, 2015
FTC again for the second time today

@Topic I never knew Dagrin until after his death, na de tribute make me know am. Nice rapper though RIP

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by chynie: 5:44pm On Apr 22, 2015
who is this guy? is he a wrestler or a footballer wink

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Nobody: 5:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
Drop Your Favourite Dagrin Line For His Remembrance

https://www.nairaland.com/2270671/drop-favourite-dagrin-line-remembrance

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Nobody: 5:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
Gerrout
Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Adyrin(m): 5:46pm On Apr 22, 2015
Chief
Executive
Omoita

CEO

8 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by SuperSuave(m): 5:46pm On Apr 22, 2015
DAGRIN
BARRACK O'GRIN
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OMO ITA
MISOFUNYIN ENTERTAINMENT
PON PON PON
STREET TI MISS E
WON NI WAMITI, A NI ROGUN NIBO LO LO
JUST LIKE YESTERDAY
KONDO MASTER
AKOGUN OMO OGUN
SUN RE O

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Rick9(m): 5:46pm On Apr 22, 2015
I heard he died of an accident other sources claimed the accident was mysterious. Bla bla bla
Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by kay1one2(m): 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
Pon pon pon pon!

7 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by ifeanyi83(m): 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
He paved the way for the likes of Olamide and co....

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by valinda(m): 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
this guy is overrated

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Adyrin(m): 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
Same here....
I so love that Bankys part!
Rick9:
FTC again for the second time today

@Topic I never knew Dagrin until after his death, na de tribute make me know am. Nice rapper though RIP

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by hensben(m): 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
Continue to R.I.P omo ogun

Never again will people drink and drive In this country once buhari is sworn in.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Adamumhd(m): 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
Iku ti se ka, oti mu omo rere lo..... Til we meet again

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by paulolee(m): 5:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
hmmmm ....
still pondering abT d waY he died coz wen one of his friends was interviewed, he said dt after party n drinking in d club he suddenly said he wana drive home after telling his friends earlier dt he isn't going home dt nite coz it's late, he even called his gal dt he wudnt b Kumin home...
after refusing advises from his friends abT d risk coz it's late n because of dier na bad state of highness, dagrin still insist dt he wana go home n he wud b d person to drive..
his friends accepted n decided to follow him home bt he Refused b said he wana go alone...
he drived himself to death dt could easily be avoided...
sources said dt his family closed every case dt involved His death because witness said it seems he knowingly plunged his car under d truck...
dunno wat to believe, dnT believe in reincarnation bt m still perplexed to d fact that he died TWO WEEKS AFTER HE HE RELEASED HIS CONTROVERSIAL SINGLE "IF I DIE".......
still continue to RIP DAGRIN

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by clemz88(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
Back off
Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Adyrin(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
Olenubi.....don't mind ma spelling Ooº°
kay1one2:
Pon pon pon pon!
Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Neldrizzy(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
Barack O'Grin sunre.... You pave the way for Yoruba rappers!!! Your legacy lives on...

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Ch1z0(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
Chai..
Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by Rick9(m): 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
Adyrin:
Same here....
I so love that Bankys part!
Na Omawumi part sweet me pass

7 Likes

Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by realGURU(m): 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
Sex na bastard
Re: Remembering Dagrin: His Life, Death, Legacy by LuckyLadolce(m): 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Barack Obama Lists Wizkid's 'Smile' On His Summer Play List / NBC Bans Olamide's "Science Student" / Wizkid In London (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.