Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

List Of Yoruba Dialects - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Yoruba Dialects (90177 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by BermudaTriangle(m): 4:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
Seunpaul01:
Yoruba is the most beautiful and powerful language in nigeria.
The amazing fact is that, no matter the type of yoruba dialet you speak you will surely be understand by any other yoruba person.
Yoruba dun pupo, yoruba dun le de.
Egba ni mo ti wa

Kipayen ?

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by afolayangs(m): 5:01pm On Apr 22, 2015
i rep kwara

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Trendytessy(f): 5:01pm On Apr 22, 2015
I rep igbomina (osun state)

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by BermudaTriangle(m): 5:04pm On Apr 22, 2015
bluehorizo:
The Owus can as well be found in Kwara,Oyo,Lagos,Rep.Benin.

OWU TOWNS & CITIES IN NIGERIA
1. Orile Owu (Osun State)
2. Owu Kuta (Osun State)
3. Owu Ile (Osun State)
4. Owu Ilemowu (Osun State)
5. Owu Ogbaagbaa (Osun State)
6. Owu Iwo (Osun State)
7. Owu Ile Ogbo (Osun State)
8. Owu Epe Ilesha (Osun State)
9. Owu Ejigbo (Osun State)
10. Owu Ilobu (Osun State)
11. Owu Ode-Omu (Osun State)
12. Owu Modakeke (Osun State)
13. Owu Abeokuta (Ogun State)
14. Owu Ijebu (Ogun State)
15. Omu Ijebu (Ogun State)
16. Odolowu Ijebu (Ogun State)
17. Odolowu Aiyepe Ijebu (Ogun State)
18. Owu Ijebu Igbo (Ogun State)
19. Okeolowu Ijebu (Ogun State)
20. Owu Ifo (Ogun State)
21. Owu Ewekoro (Ogun State)
22. Owu Ayetoro (Ogun State)
23. Owu Erunmu (Oyo State)
24. Owu Ibadan (Oyo State)
25. Owu Ogbomosho (Oyo State)
26. Owu Ajaawa (Oyo State)
27. Owu Oyo (Oyo State)
28. Owu Ikosi (Lagos State)
29. Owu Gbawojo (Lagos State)
30. Owu Mushin (Lagos State)
31. Owu Igboye (Lagos State)
32. Owu Isin (Kwara State)
33. Owu Obaloyan (Kwara State)
34. Owu Igbotele (Kwara State)
35. Owu Oke-Ode (Kwara State)
36. Owu Okeya-Ipo (Kwara State)
OWU OVERSEAS
1.Owu Tosso (Rep. Of Benin)
2. Owu Wydah (Rep. Of Benin)
3. Owu in Great Britain

Wow! Wonderful to be Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 5:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
dafil22:
Wot abt Egun na? Abi dt one no b Yoruba dialect?
OP update your list, add Egun (Ogun and Lagos states)

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by whalesu(m): 5:07pm On Apr 22, 2015
Apoi (ondo)

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by sholly007: 5:08pm On Apr 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 5:17pm On Apr 22, 2015
scholes0:

good... now, you are learning my brother.
[s]But just out of curiosity though, why do you seem to be so vehemently against being grouped under the yoruba umbrella?
Itsekiri the way I see them are a unique yoruba people, with a beautiful culture and dialect/language that should be preserved.....
you should try to forge a stronger link with your other Yoruba brethren , for political and cultural protection.... It is a pity many itsekiri youth these days are speaking pidgin, while most Yoruba youth speak and understand yoruba. Your culture is declining, because you choose to remain separate, and now, itsekiri fares worse that other dialects of Yoruba.....
That tells you a lot..... a stick of broom that leaves the bunch, will never survive on it's own in the open, i am sure you know that[/s].
I nr get strenght to argue that's y I said 'ok'

We have survived long enough bearing our itsekiri identity and we r going stronger...
Even our history does nt have u as reference so take a chill pill abeg

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 5:21pm On Apr 22, 2015
success9:

They are all Latin with little variants...if u don't believe, ask Mourinho.
So hw wud u decribe basque, catalan?
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by tintingz(m): 5:27pm On Apr 22, 2015
tochstorm:
stingy people!!!! na una suppose be minister of finance for 9ja. i call them oga management. when they annoy me i call the superglue.
See stereotype.

Yeah, proudly stingy people.
smiley

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by AJORE(m): 5:29pm On Apr 22, 2015
paragon40:
i love okun land.....but @op dont think we speak igbomina in okun ohhh
Se o gbo ponyan.....(egbe- and ayetoro in kwara speak almost d same dialect.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by harffie(m): 5:33pm On Apr 22, 2015
I rep IGBOMINA

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 5:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

So hw wud u decribe basque, catalan?

basque is a language isolate not related to any other language around it
Catalan is another product of latin just like French and Spanish.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by falopey: 5:36pm On Apr 22, 2015
tomber:

I don't think "pure" is the right word. Historically, everyone spoke his own dailect. In fact, there were wars between the dialects and they never really saw themselves as "Yoruba" until the Europeans came.
Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther, in an effort to translate the bible, made the first attempt to standardize the Yoruba language. He used mainly the Oyo dialect and added words from the other dialects. Oyo was preferable since it was intelligible among most dialects and was also been spoken by, arguably, the largest population of the Yoruba race. Further standardization followed Samuel's work.

There is really no clear evidence to show which of the dialects gave birth to the others, just as there are really to solid evidences on the real origin and migration pattern of the Yoruba race. I personally think most groups just claim Ife to be politically correct.

All notable Yoruba towns have it in their history that they came from ile ife. Those town s that do not migrate directly from ife migrate from the towns that migrate from ife directly. I have listened to many yoruba obas sharing the history of how their town came to be. All of them mention ed the names of particular sons, grand sons of oduduwa or hunters, warriors or babalawo that brought them all the way from ile ife. Yoruba obas are the custodian s of their history and origin passed down from generation s. These are the custodians we have to believe about the origin of their tribe, and not what politics and white men want you to believe. So, its not a political thing like you said. If other tribes don't know where they come from does not mean the same applies to Yoruba s. Despite that Yoruba s fought inter tribal war did not make them deny the fact that they all originated from ile ife. That they came from the same clan. I only welcome divergent opinions from any Yoruba oba, of which I have not yet seen or heard.

3 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 5:39pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

I nr get strenght to argue that's y I said 'ok'

We have survived long enough bearing our itsekiri identity and we r going stronger...
Even our history does nt have u as reference so take a chill pill abeg

more lies ......
you are just delusional
why don't you explain this to the world ......

1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 5:43pm On Apr 22, 2015
scholes0:

more lies ......
you are just delusional
why don't you explain this to the world ......

Until ur map shows me. D urhobo, den u r d one who's delusional.. cos from ur map I can only conclude that urhobo r a dialect of edo (bini)
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Missmoney(f): 5:43pm On Apr 22, 2015
Kirri:
Otipa.....(OKITIPUPA ONDO STATE)
By the way ITSEKIRI IS NOT YORUBA and they're not in RIVERS STATE
i dnt tink u've heard an ITSEKIRI person speak b4.
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Missmoney(f): 5:44pm On Apr 22, 2015
Kirri:
Otipa.....(OKITIPUPA ONDO STATE)
By the way ITSEKIRI IS NOT YORUBA and they're not in RIVERS STATE
i dnt tink u've heard an ITSEKIRI person speak b4. Even deir names are yoruba names.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Missmoney(f): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
khassy:
I no be Yoruba so how e take concern me now sadsadsadsadangryangry.sad
u no c d topic b4 u jump enta d thread?

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by scholes0(m): 5:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Until ur map shows me. D urhobo, den u r d one who's delusional.. cos from ur map I can only conclude that urhobo r a dialect of edo (bini)

Of course, Urhobo is a dialect of Edo, just like Okpe, Ivbiosakon, Uvbie, Etc
The same way Ijebu, Oyo, Itsekiri, Igbomina, Ekiti etc are all dialects of yoruba

4 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by whyniel: 5:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
isralkhaleed:
Eruwa is categorized into Oke-ogun dialect
The language is Ibarapa.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by gmoni2(m): 5:51pm On Apr 22, 2015
I rep Isale Eko..

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by sup1: 5:54pm On Apr 22, 2015
Ikale

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by bigfrancis21: 5:54pm On Apr 22, 2015
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by GhaliNaaba(m): 5:56pm On Apr 22, 2015
Onko ......... Ago Are, offiki, owo, sabe, okaka all in Oke OGUN in oyo state. Pls do your research well.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by tomber(m): 5:56pm On Apr 22, 2015
Bellfun:

Hmmm...well I wouldn't say your Dad is wrong!..we've seen people(of all tribes/ethnic groups) deny their own historical background!
But not the Kabba people that I know!..and its a big big shame for anyone to deny his/her own cultural/historical background! We all have a source! No one fell from heaven!
Finally,Kabba is not "similar" to Yoruba...we are Yorubas!!!

1.Many non Okuns assume all Yorubas from Kogi are Kabba. Also, many Okuns(Bunu,Yagba ijumu etc), for whatsoever reason, claim Kabba, especially when interacting with other Yorubas.

2. The Nupe incursion(led by Etsu Masaba)into Okun land devastated the okun people. I believe the okuns will have been many times larger if not for the incursion. The incursions was the major reason why Kogi (formally part of Kwara), is in the north. The Nupe incursion caused the greatest vicissitude of the Okun people.

3.The Igalas were not so affected cos they, more or less, surrendered on time, and later formed an alliance with the Nupes. The Egbira, who were in the past discriminated by the Okun groups, were able to push back the Nupe army. But later, with the help of the Igalas, were also defeated by the Nupe army. It was the okuns that suffered most from the activity of the Nupes . This explains the population distribution and the no. of Muslims in Kogi.(many non-okuns from kogi might not want to agree with this part)
The Nupe Domination ended with the coming of the Europeans.

4. The Nupe imposed not only taxes but their culture on the Okuns. So some people were born into an era were Nupe language and culture was common, and in some cases fashionable. Till today the effect of this seen in the okun language and culture. Oworo suffered from this the most. Till recently, the Olu of Oworo answered the title "Etsu", and till today, many chieftaincy titles still have Nupe origin.Thank God for the coming of the West, if not... I seriously doubt if Oyo, Benin, Ibadan or any other big powers of those days would have helped.

5. The Idea of Okuns being Yoruba started gaining grounds with the efforts of Awo and the interaction of the okuns with the other Yorubas through trade, education and religion( TAC and Babalola comes to mind).

6. Also, many centuries ago there was really nothing like 'Yoruba' or 'Okun' group. However, the okuns intermarried and had cordial relationship amongst themselves and weren't discriminating against each others like they did against the Bassa,Egbira and others. They shared similar culture e.g the traditional religions, masquerading and women secret cult history are very similar.

7. Scholars are worried that the history of Okuns has not be taken seriously.

All the points above makes it likely for some okun people, most likely a few decades ago, to want to deny their "Yoruba-ness". It will be hard for anybody to deny these days, not a person from Kabba esp.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by folabayo1(f): 5:57pm On Apr 22, 2015
Simplefaithy:
. ila-orangun or ifedayo??
ila-orangun cool

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by lastbornabbey(m): 5:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
I rep Okun ogidi ela ahuni Omo obinrin ton obo idi re

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Seunpaul01(m): 6:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
BermudaTriangle:

Kipayen ?

Lol.... egba re wa o, e si oun mo le fi ede mi we. Are ke grin

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Ninilowo(m): 6:16pm On Apr 22, 2015
Samneer:
What of Eruwa?
Eruwa na Ibarapa nah........ Abi?

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Simplefaithy(m): 6:19pm On Apr 22, 2015
folabayo1:
ila-orangun cool
. NYC one

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Mopricelezz(f): 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2015
cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Remember Babalorisa Tyomolu, Dopest Babalawo? He is Still Stunting! / Igbo Name For Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.