Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline - Travel (171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline (798658 Views)

SOWP Applications Via International Students Route Lets Connect Here Please... / Post Your UK Visa Timeline Here! / Joining Me In Canada; Spouse And Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by oldienavie: 6:18am On Dec 12, 2021
I see a lot of people always go to Ikoyi Registry, is that compulsory ?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by deepwater(f): 6:59am On Dec 12, 2021
oldienavie:
Hi everyone, please I wanna ask if it is compulsory for someone to do their wedding in Ikoyi Registry ?
Can someone do their wedding in a registry in Oyo state and still be recognised by Canadian embassy for the purpose of sponsorship?

It's not compulsory
But e get y
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by oldienavie: 7:01am On Dec 12, 2021
deepwater:

It's not compulsory
But e get y
Thanks for your response, but why e get why?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 9:43am On Dec 12, 2021
Apply using the new visitor route for all of them. Only the 12 and 13 year olds need study permit but I think even with visitor visa, they can get study permit at the POE. Visitor visa through the new route can be treated promptly and then after applying make sure to apply for travel exemption authorization immediately you submit the visitor visa.

Testimonytime:
I recently receive my study permit and presently in Canada.

I wish to apply for my husband and three children 13, 12 and 3
My dilemma is what to apply for my husband as he is not staying because he has a good business Nigeria. Should I apply for SOWP for him or visitor? What about my 3 year old? Study permit or visitor. I sincerely want them here as soon as it’s possible because of my 3 year old, I do not know if sowp will be faster or visitor. I’m applying for study permit for my 13 and 12 year old.
Please what should the proof of funds be for SOWP and for Visitor? Iv done a year schooling already, though online, just hit here 2 weeks ago!
Please advise me.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 9:53am On Dec 12, 2021
I did my own Nikkah in my in-law's compound and got a Wosika (Islamic Wedding Certificate) with half Arabic and half English content. It was not even on the official letterhead of a Islamic society or any mosque. It was an ordinary designed cardboard paper that comes with a wedding pack. I have used it to get 2 US visas and 2 Canadian visas (in both countries, visitor and study visas). It was the same thing my family used for SOWP application and was successful. I don't know if my case is just luck or anything but that was my own experience. I didn't have a choice because that was what I had and won't go get a registry one just to be official. If you can get one and it is official please by all means get it but it is better to be consistent than to submit an unreliable document. If you got married long time ago like me (13 years) how do you justify submitting a type of registry certificate that only came into existent a few years ago? You know it is possible the embassy has specimens of these documents and know the time period each type was issued. Best of luck.

oldienavie:
Hi everyone, please I wanna ask if it is compulsory for someone to do their wedding in Ikoyi Registry ?
Can someone do their wedding in a registry in Oyo state and still be recognised by Canadian embassy for the purpose of sponsorship?

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by corleone427: 9:56am On Dec 12, 2021
elizyous:
What God cannot do does not exist oh!!! It has ended in praises for my 2 kids. PPR just landed for them. I am still expecting my husbands own though but God will surely complete what He started.

We applied on Oct 8th. Abeg follow me bless this mighty God!!!

Congratulations.,....see you in Canada .....I am happy for all the good news here....for us still waiting it shall all get to our turn
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 9:56am On Dec 12, 2021
I am very sorry hearing about this because the VO's excuse is not valid unless your application was not watertight enough. I won't advise you to reapply without consulting an expert on this. I am not an expert so please don't contact me for this. There are two possible pathways here. A judicial review or a reapplication but in both cases you need an expert immigration consultant.

folla:
Hi everyone,

My SOWP application and SP applications for my 3 children were refused sometime in September 2021. I applied for GCMS notes on October 1st and received the notes today (December 11th). It took about 71 days for the notes to arrive.

The VO's main reasons for refusal have been quoted below:

“Adult male and 3 children intending to join spouse/parent in Cda, currently in status studying a Masters. I note that spouse’s application was submitted.

On that application, husband and 3 children were listed as non-accompanying.

No guarantee that either will find work to support themselves and 3 children. Given that all deps were listed as non-accompanying and that SP adult recently arrived in Cda, I question the truthfulness of that original statement. Entire family travelling together reduces socio-economic ties to Nigeria. On balance, reviewing all documents before me including information available in the original SP application for adult female, I am not satisfied that PA would respect T&C of entry and leave Cda by the end of an authorized stay.”

Please, GURUS in the house should suggest how I can tackle the refusal reasons.

Please, if you have found yourself in a similar situation, how did you come out?

Thank you in advance of your useful comments.

(Pls note: Wifey travelled to Canny since early Septemer 2021)

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Testimonytime: 3:06pm On Dec 12, 2021
Akannitommy:
Apply using the new visitor route for all of them. Only the 12 and 13 year olds need study permit but I think even with visitor visa, they can get study permit at the POE. Visitor visa through the new route can be treated promptly and then after applying make sure to apply for travel exemption authorization immediately you submit the visitor visa.

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Please, how will they apply for SP at the point of entry.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by GbemiBukk(f): 4:59pm On Dec 12, 2021
Please Akannitommy

can u please enlighten me on what a travel exemption authorization is

And how can one apply for that?
Thank you as I await your reply.
Thank you
Akannitommy:

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by folla: 6:09pm On Dec 12, 2021
Hi Akannitommy,

Thanks for your time.

Please can you explain what you mean by the VO's excuse not being valid? Are you saying he is not correct by making allegation of us giving untrue statements in our imm5645?

Akannitommy:
I am very sorry hearing about this because the VO's excuse is not valid unless your application was not watertight enough. I won't advise you to reapply without consulting an expert on this. I am not an expert so please don't contact me for this. There are two possible pathways here. A judicial review or a reapplication but in both cases you need an expert immigration consultant.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by folla: 6:26pm On Dec 12, 2021
Hi Lightswitch007,

Thank you.

Yes, my wife used the children and I as home ties. I thought many folks do this too. Or, are we the only ones who did this?

Please if you did this and you still successfully applied for your spouse and children to join you in Canada, let's know how you did it. Thanks

By the way, we showed a lot of economic ties to Nigeria such as developed property, landed property, pension accounts, though we didn't show enough family ties. I am a partner in a firm and I showed I would return.

lightswitch007:

Just sharing my opinion.

I guess SP used you and the kids has ties to Nigeria. A lot of us do that but I think you need to explain in your SOP a sudden change of decision on why you and the kids need to be with your wife.

Secondly you need some strong ties to Nigeria like properties, Job promotion In your office a “juicy offer” that will proof you will return to Nigeria, or a company commitment, family commitment like grand parents and so on.

Gurus in the house please advise.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by folla: 6:30pm On Dec 12, 2021
Thanks for your kind comments, Muyiroro.

[quote author=muyiroro post=108410059][/quote]
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by folla: 6:37pm On Dec 12, 2021
Hi Testimonytime,

I applied before my wife traveled. My wife landed in Canada 1st week of September, while the refusal came in the last week of September.

Are you in position to give any helpful comments? Many thanks in advance.

Testimonytime:

Did you apply before or after your wife traveled? I noticed you were refused September and your wife travelled September?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 9:24pm On Dec 12, 2021
Akannitommy:
Aside this, please you need to clarify something is your spouse on anh form of funding or is she paying her tuition herself becos i seem not to understand the work part the VO mentioned. Also did she use her family as home ties?

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by skull4eva: 9:26pm On Dec 12, 2021
folla:
Hi everyone,

My SOWP application and SP applications for my 3 children were refused sometime in September 2021. I applied for GCMS notes on October 1st and received the notes today (December 11th). It took about 71 days for the notes to arrive.

The VO's main reasons for refusal have been quoted below:

“Adult male and 3 children intending to join spouse/parent in Cda, currently in status studying a Masters. I note that spouse’s application was submitted.

On that application, husband and 3 children were listed as non-accompanying.

No guarantee that either will find work to support themselves and 3 children. Given that all deps were listed as non-accompanying and that SP adult recently arrived in Cda, I question the truthfulness of that original statement. Entire family travelling together reduces socio-economic ties to Nigeria. On balance, reviewing all documents before me including information available in the original SP application for adult female, I am not satisfied that PA would respect T&C of entry and leave Cda by the end of an authorized stay.”

Please, GURUS in the house should suggest how I can tackle the refusal reasons.

Please, if you have found yourself in a similar situation, how did you come out?

Thank you in advance of your useful comments.

(Pls note: Wifey travelled to Canny since early Septemer 2021)
Aside this, please you need to clarify something is your spouse on anh form of funding or is she paying her tuition herself becos i seem not to understand the work part the VO mentioned. Also did she use her family as home ties?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 4:41am On Dec 13, 2021
Sorry I think I may have mixed things up a bit. I know holders of visa-free passports to Canada such as the US that get study permits issued to them at the POE. I don't know if this applies to Nigerians kids with visitor visas. But one thing is for sure they will get visitors record at the POE and this could be used for school registration. So that is what I should have clarified in my initial response.

Testimonytime:

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Please, how will they apply for SP at the point of entry.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 4:43am On Dec 13, 2021
See instructions here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing

and direct link here - https://secure.cic.gc.ca/ClientContact/en/Crisis

NB: it is only applicable to those holding visitor visa who are reunifying with family in Canada.

GbemiBukk:
Please Akannitommy

can u please enlighten me on what a travel exemption authorization is

And how can one apply for that?
Thank you as I await your reply.
Thank you
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 5:04am On Dec 13, 2021
Hi,

I am sure almost 100% (if not exact) of married students who apply alone chose that nobody is accompanying them. I don't know if there is an alternative to select family with accompanying if you are applying alone. It is not logical per the way the forms are set up. Correct me if I am wrong but that is what I remember.

I chose the same thing during my SP application and am sure 1000 more married students who applied alone chose that too. The Canadian immigration law recognizes family reunification and it is a big deal here. Among all categories of the restricted temporary visa holders during this pandemic, family unification is one of the only or few that get exemption to travel. Also, I know of multitude cases who applied for family immediately they received their visas before traveling and they all got approved. In most cases that we encourage and have seen countless testimonies here, family usually apply after student has traveled to Canada, obtained SIN, study permits, etc to support such application.

Again, in all these cases, they change the story from none-accompanying to now accompanying and not once have I seen the type of excuse in the VO's report. So that was the basis of my position and I maintain that stand. Consult experts who will look at your full application package (importantly, the SOP, LOI, etc) viz the GCMS notes to advise on the next line of action.

As I said, a JR is not impossible but I doubt the grace period to do that has not passed already.

It shall end in massive praises.

folla:
Hi Akannitommy,

Thanks for your time.

Please can you explain what you mean by the VO's excuse not being valid? Are you saying he is not correct by making allegation of us giving untrue statements in our imm5645?

5 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Testimonytime: 8:33am On Dec 13, 2021
Akannitommy:
See instructions here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing

NB: it is only applicable to those holding visitor visa who are reunifying with family in Canada.

Thanks for this.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Testimonytime: 8:44am On Dec 13, 2021
folla:
Hi Testimonytime,

I applied before my wife traveled. My wife landed in Canada 1st week of September, while the refusal came in the last week of September.

I am not an expert in this matter. The VO’s are different, but there are more cases of refusal if the PA is still in Nigeria at the time of family application. This may be a reason for the refusal, although it’s just a guess. I guess as Akannitommy suggested, get an expert assistance, who will guide you in your defense of reasons why your plans have changed. After all plans can change

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Pasterlo: 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2021
Hello gurus, I am applying for my study permit using the new IRCC portal. I have indicated that I will be travelling with my spouse and son. I am confused as to whether I need to apply for the spousal open work permit separately using the old platform, or is one form enough? since I have indicated that we are travelling as a family. If anyone has applied together with family members; kindly let me know the process. Please, seniors, I urgently need your advice. Thanks
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 11:08pm On Dec 13, 2021
I haven't used the new platform but I guess you need just one application for all three of you. The initial questionnaire in the old system (not sure if you also have this in the new system) will screen, create profiles for each of you, and determine/list key documents to submit as long as you answered the question whether you want to travel alone or with accompanying family members, appropriately. If the new platform is problematic or doesn't allow you to do joint application (like that), then I suggest you avoid complications and just revert to the old system since it is still available and functioning.

Pasterlo:
Hello gurus, I am applying for my study permit using the new IRCC portal. I have indicated that I will be travelling with my spouse and son. I am confused as to whether I need to apply for the spousal open work permit separately using the old platform, or is one form enough? since I have indicated that we are travelling as a family. If anyone has applied together with family members; kindly let me know the process. Please, seniors, I urgently need your advice. Thanks
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by elizyous: 2:12am On Dec 14, 2021
Hello, thanks a lot. Amen!!!

We did it at Qlife on Nov 29. We had already booked for Upfront medical shortly after applying so the medical request just came at the right time.

Stonehenge83:
Congratulations. Your husband's own will drop in Jesus name. Amen. Please where and when did you do the medical they requested for?

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by elizyous: 2:32am On Dec 14, 2021
I think it was just the timing. Cuz that's the same documents I submitted but it tends to look dishonest to some VO's when u use family as home ties then immediately u are given SP, u change almost immediately to apply for family. It looks like a glaring wrong move. Not all visa officers welcome such change. It is best to land in Canada first and stay a couple of weeks before applying. That way, your explanation of missing family is more logical. This is my opinion. Hope this helps

folla:
Hi Testimonytime,

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by elizyous: 2:41am On Dec 14, 2021
Thanks a lot. Amen oh!!! We shall all be congratulated on this platform in Jesus Name! Amen!!!

corleone427:

Congratulations.,....see you in Canada .....I am happy for all the good news here....for us still waiting it shall all get to our turn
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by 19CannyMum: 12:33pm On Dec 14, 2021
folla:
Hi Akannitommy,

Thanks for your time.

At the time you made your wife's application she was not accompanied. She got visa and you changed your mind. There's nothing wrong or illegal about changing mind. If you ask me VO had no business dipping into a concluded application. Each app should be treated on its own merit.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by 19CannyMum: 12:39pm On Dec 14, 2021
Pasterlo:

One form is not enough for two of you. Everybody has to apply separately, even your son. Since there's no SOWP on the new platform your spouse will have to use the old platform for that application. Your application does not cover two of you.

Alternative to keep the applications together is that you all apply on the old platform. Or spouse applies for visiting on the new platform.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by 19CannyMum: 12:41pm On Dec 14, 2021
Akannitommy:
I haven't used the new platform but I guess you need just one application for all three of you. The initial questionnaire in the old system (not sure if you also have this in the new system) will screen, create profiles for each of you, and determine/list key documents to submit as long as you answered the question whether you want to travel alone or with accompanying family members, appropriately. If the new platform is problematic or doesn't allow you to do joint application (like that), then I suggest you avoid complications and just revert to the old system since it is still available and functioning.

New platform only supports visit and study permit. SOWP not an option.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LadyBlaq: 6:55am On Dec 15, 2021
Akannitommy:

Hello! You said to apply for the exemption letter immediately one submits visitor's visa application and you also said it's only applicable to those 'holding' visitor visa.
Please clarify, do you apply for the travel exemption immediately you submit visitor's visa or immediately your visitor visa is approved?
If it's the former, what documents do you need to upload because the site is requesting for documents to upload.

Thank you.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LadyBlaq: 7:02am On Dec 15, 2021
Hello house! I have a question. My husband did upfront medical for SOWP before the new site for visitor's visa was introduced. The upfront medical type says 'Worker'. I applied for visitor's visa using the new platform and I answered yes to the question of having any medical done by approved hospital because I mean to upload that same medical report. Is this allowed or does he have to do another medical?

Thanks for the anticipated response.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Bhyy(m): 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
With regards visiting visa, if you don’t intend to stay more than 6 months you don’t need a medical.

Hope this help.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Reseptie: 5:20pm On Dec 15, 2021
babybless44:
Amen ooooooo

@lightwitch007 @sam4774 @babybless44 @Anon123

Hello peeps ,how is your application going? Any positive news yet ,I pray you all get sorted soon.

Just checking on you and wishing you a beautiful Christmas.

Keep the hope alive ,it will end in the bestest of good news.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (384) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

Viewing this topic: Bobomaigida

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.