Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,493 members, 7,801,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (120455 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 6:25pm On Jun 03, 2015
I never knew you have encountered that dialect but it is going...missed my grandma and her funny way of speaking igbo like singing song

are you from where nna

oboy3:
yes,i havent seen any younger person speaking that way,only people in their 40s and 50s ftom there that speak that wAy ,its sad really
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Agrika: 6:36pm On Jun 03, 2015
Ishilove:
Ukwuani is not exactly igboid. There are elements of Yoruba and Edo contained therein.
That's why it's called a dialect.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by oboy3(m): 6:43pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
I never knew you have encountered that dialect but it is going...missed my grandma and her funny way of speaking igbo like singing song

are you from where nna

am from idemili south ,,i have lived with many people frm there
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 7:05pm On Jun 03, 2015
lol

ndi ide nna

we still dont kill eke..do u?

oboy3:
am from idemili south ,,i have lived with many people frm there

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 7:35pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
I am thinking that the bonny and those island igbo speak unevolved igbo... you know igbo is becoming eveloved and where do you think speak the unevolved igbo

maybe the rquitorial guinea igbo migrants

what is your take

True, Igbo language is evolving, some old words are being dropped, and newer words are replacing them, as it is characteristic of any living language. A dead language is one whose vocabulary remains constant from time to time ie words do not change from century to century. For example, Latin is a dead language. Having no native speakers, except being kept 'alive' by the Catholic church for usage in its liturgy, has ensured that the words and vocabulary of Latin have remained constant since its last native speaker died.

As for region that speaks unevolved Igbo, I would say most villages speak their respective Igbo dialects undiluted for the most part, without borrowed English words here and there as common with Igbo city dwellers or educated Igbos when speaking.

I can say that Ika Igbo has experienced the most substantial evolution in its lect of all Igbo dialects. Ika Igbo, as of about 100 years ago, had adopted many bini words in its dialect but today has seen itself adopting more and more Igbo equivalents in their replacement. Ika Igbo dialect is moving in trend with some other Igbo dialects that are becoming more and more centralized. It is said that older Ika speakers speak Ika with certain bini words which the younger generation does not.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by oboy3(m): 9:02pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
lol
ndi ide nna
we still dont kill eke..do u?

lol....we dont ooooo,i asked my mum why,she simply said becos it is our nwadiani ,,,,,lol
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:26pm On Jun 03, 2015
oboy3:
i dont understand,pls expanciate,,

What part of Idenmili are you from?? I am from the northern Idenmili and Umuoji to be precise and when old people pronounce land in my town they use the "Ana" version. Like aja ana,ana okofiah,Anamalu(name). And mind you if you are from southern Idenmili like Awka etiti,Oraukwu and Nnobi what you speak cant be said to be a pure Idenmili dialect.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by oboy3(m): 10:14pm On Jun 03, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

What part of Idenmili are you from?? I am from the northern Idenmili and Umuoji to be precise and when old people pronounce land in my town they use the "Ana" version. Like aja ana,ana okofiah,Anamalu(name). And mind you if you are from southern Idenmili like Awka etiti,Oraukwu and Nnobi what you speak cant be said to be a pure Idenmili dialect.
the old people in my town pronounce it as Ani,the oldest villa in my town is uruezeani

,we bear ezeani as surname, the name of my late grandpa is Aniebuka,why is it hard for u to accept it that way nd move on?must we all speak like your umuoji people?
Yes i am from idemili south,to me there is no such thing as idemili dialect cos no two towns speaks same in idemili not even towns which shares a common boundary

Btw,oraukwu is idemili north nd not south,thanks
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Phut(f): 11:34pm On Jun 03, 2015
tonychristopher:
ogo m

nne kedu ka idi

A di'm nma. Yinwa Kwanu?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:54am On Jun 04, 2015
oboy3:
the old people in my town pronounce it as Ani,the oldest villa in my town is uruezeani

,we bear ezeani as surname, the name of my late grandpa is Aniebuka,why is it hard for u to accept it that way nd move on?must we all speak like your umuoji people?
Yes i am from idemili south,to me there is no such thing as idemili dialect cos no two towns speaks same in idemili not even towns which shares a common boundary

Mister,nobody ask you to speak like Umuoji to begin with and like I pointed out earlier the two version are used interchangeably. In Umuoji we also bear Anielo,Aniegboka,Anachuna,Anagboso and likes but the most oldest names and places in Umuoji happens to have the "Ana" version and in that light I conclude it was the earliest version. Secondly,yes there is onu Idenmili mostly spoken by those without outside influence....Umuoji,Uke,Ojoto and Oba speak a dialect different from what other Idenmili towns speaks.Obosi has influence from Anioma and so is Nkpor and Ogidi who is neighboring Ogbunike likewise Abatete. Now move to Oraukwu who speaks like Anaedo people. So,there exist a pure Idenmili dialect Which you happen to be ignorant of. Yes,it might not be completely identical but say 98% with some variances.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 9:28am On Jun 04, 2015
UDO

Phut:

A di'm nma. Yinwa Kwanu?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 9:31am On Jun 04, 2015
WE SEE IT AS NNA OCHIE BUT I THINK 98% OF ANAMBRA VILLAGES DONT KILL EKE AND ORSU PART OF IMO

oboy3:
lol....we dont ooooo,i asked my mum why,she simply
said becos it is our nwadiani ,,,,,lol
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 9:36am On Jun 04, 2015
BUT I THINK IT IS A CASE OF GRAVITATIONAL FORCE...IKA AND BONNY ARE ADOPTING CENTRAL IGBO SO AS TO COMMUNICATE WITH 40 MILLION IGBO SEAMLESS THAN COMMUNICATING WITH FEW MILLION BENINS..I THINK IT IS A NATURAL PROGRESSION

BUT WHAT IS YOUR TAKE IN OWERRI MIGRATION...HOW TRUE IS THAT ANTHROPOLOGICALLY AND SOCIOLOGICALLY SPEAKING

NOW PLACES LIKE UKWU NZU AND ILLAH WHERE WOULD YOU CLASSIFY THEIR IGBO LECTS AND HAVE YOU FORGOTEN THE OROGUN THAT SOEAKS A MIXTURE OF IGBO AND ISOKO..HOW DO YOU HANDLE THAT..NOW WHAT OF BONNY AND OPOBO THAT HAVE IGBO WITH IJO DIALECTS

THERE SHOULD BE A CLEAR CUT AS OF EKPEYE I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THEM

bigfrancis21:

True, Igbo language is evolving, some old words are being dropped, and newer words are replacing them, as it is characteristic of any living language. A dead language is one whose vocabulary remains constant from time to time ie words do not change from century to century. For example, Latin is a dead language. Having no native speakers, except being kept 'alive' by the Catholic church for usage in its liturgy, has ensured that the words and vocabulary of Latin have remained constant since its last native speaker died.

As for region that speaks unevolved Igbo, I would say most villages speak their respective Igbo dialects undiluted for the most part, without borrowed English words here and there as common with Igbo city dwellers or educated Igbos when speaking.

I can say that Ika Igbo has experienced the most substantial evolution in its lect of all Igbo dialects. Ika Igbo, as of about 100 years ago, had adopted many bini words in its dialect but today has seen itself adopting more and more Igbo equivalents in their replacement. Ika Igbo dialect is moving in trend with some other Igbo dialects that are becoming more and more centralized. It is said that older Ika speakers speak Ika with certain bini words which the younger generation does not.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by christopher123(m): 10:57am On Jun 04, 2015
Explain pls
Ishilove:
Ukwuani is not exactly igboid. There are elements of Yoruba and Edo contained therein.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 04, 2015
tonychristopher:
WE SEE IT AS NNA OCHIE BUT I THINK 98% OF ANAMBRA VILLAGES DONT KILL EKE AND ORSU PART OF IMO

98% sounds too high to me oh.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 5:56pm On Jun 04, 2015
i think we have few villages that dont kill eke

Radoillo:

98% sounds too high to me oh.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 8:36pm On Jun 04, 2015
tonychristopher:
BUT I THINK IT IS A CASE OF GRAVITATIONAL FORCE...IKA AND BONNY ARE ADOPTING CENTRAL IGBO SO AS TO COMMUNICATE WITH 40 MILLION IGBO SEAMLESS THAN COMMUNICATING WITH FEW MILLION BENINS..I THINK IT IS A NATURAL PROGRESSION

BUT WHAT IS YOUR TAKE IN OWERRI MIGRATION...HOW TRUE IS THAT ANTHROPOLOGICALLY AND SOCIOLOGICALLY SPEAKING

NOW PLACES LIKE UKWU NZU AND ILLAH WHERE WOULD YOU CLASSIFY THEIR IGBO LECTS AND HAVE YOU FORGOTEN THE OROGUN THAT SOEAKS A MIXTURE OF IGBO AND ISOKO..HOW DO YOU HANDLE THAT..NOW WHAT OF BONNY AND OPOBO THAT HAVE IGBO WITH IJO DIALECTS

THERE SHOULD BE A CLEAR CUT AS OF EKPEYE I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THEM

From what I have gleamed from internet sources, Ukwu Nzu and Illah people are bilingual in Nigerian languages in that they speak aniocha Igbo and their ancestral language (Olukumi and Igala respectively).

I wouldn't classify Ekpeye (akpa ohia) as an Igbo dialect. It is quite different from general Igbo dialects to be classified as an Igbo dialect, though it has quite a substantial number of Igbo words and some Ekpeye people bear Igbo names. I would say it is an Igboid language.

It is interesting to learn about the Olorogun people. Could you expand more on the Olorogun language?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 9:01pm On Jun 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

From what I have gleamed from internet sources, Ukwu Nzu and Illah people are bilingual in Nigerian languages in that they speak aniocha Igbo and their ancestral language (Olukumi and Igala).

I wouldn't classify Ekpeye (akpa ohia) as an Igbo dialect. It is quite different from general Igbo dialects to be classified as an Igbo dialect, though it has quite a substantial number of Igbo words and some Ekpeye people bear Igbo names. I would say it is an Igboid language.

It is interesting to learn about the Olorogun people. Could you expand more on the Olorogun language?
just dying Yoruba language spoken by old folks
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

just dying Yoruba language spoken by old folks

Actually Orogun language isn't Yoruba. The Orogun people are bilingual, speaking Urhobo and their own variant of Ukwuani, which they call the Orogun language. This Orogun language is losing ground to Urhobo, however. Their traditional head still goes by the title of 'Okpara-Uku'.

You might want to check out the article on the link below:

www​.aijssnet.com/journals/.../12.pdf

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 9:24pm On Jun 04, 2015
Radoillo:

Actually Orogun language isn't Yoruba. The Orogun people are bilingual, speaking Urhobo and their own variant of Ukwuani, which they call the Orogun language. This Orogun language is losing ground to Urhobo, however. Their traditional head still goes by the title of 'Okpara-Uku'.

Nwanna, the link isn't working. Please repost it again.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 9:27pm On Jun 04, 2015
Radoillo:

Pardon me ......i was thinking ukwu nzu

Orogun speak mixture of isoko with igbo in same dialect ..they ain't bilingual but speak a mixture of both languages

Do you classify them as what now
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Nwanna, the link isn't working. Please repost it again.

Yes, I just realised that. Copying links with this phone appears to be just impossible. grin

Anyway, the paper title is 'Functions and Consequences of Bilingualism in Orogun Kingdom of Urhobo land, Delta State, Nigeria' by James E. Odivwri.

Type in 'Orogun Bilingualism' in Google, and I guarantee you the pdf is the first thing that comes up.

Tonychristopher, the paper was written by a university academic from Delta Central or Delta South (by the sound of his name), and he says clearly that the Orogun are bilingual. I think I want to believe him.

As to how to classify Orogun, I'll say since they now gravitate towards the Urhobo side of their heritage, and seem to present themselves to the world as such, speaking the Urhobo language and all, they are Urhobo people.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 9:43pm On Jun 04, 2015
Radoillo:

Yes, I just realised that. Copying links with this phone appears to be just impossible. grin

Anyway, the paper title is 'Functions and Consequences of Bilingualism in Orogun Kingdom of Urhobo land, Delta State, Nigeria' by James E. Odivwri.

Type in 'Orogun Bilingualism' in Google, and I guarantee you the pdf is the first thing that comes up.

Tonychristopher, the paper was written by a university academic from Delta Central or Delta South (by the sound of his name), and he says clearly that the Orogun are bilingual. I think I want to believe him.

As to how to classify Orogun, I'll say since they now gravitate towards the Urhobo side of their heritage, and seem to present themselves to the world as such, speaking the Urhobo language and all, they are Urhobo people.

But they still speak igbo with isoko intonation not urhobo...they are the next town after my wife own.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

But they still speak igbo with isoko intonation not urhobo...they are the next town after my wife own.

Having never been on the ground, I can only speak based off what I have read. And I have never read anywhere that Orogun is Isoko. All sources say they are Urhobo. However, they are very close to Isoko communities like Emevor, and there are traces of Isoko linguistic influence in their tongue. I think that is what you mean when you say they speak with an 'Isoko intonation'. Where is your wife from? Is it Abbi, Amai or Umuebu?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by soonest(f): 10:23pm On Jun 04, 2015
tonychristopher:

Pardon me ......i was thinking ukwu nzu

Orogun speak mixture of isoko with igbo in same dialect ..they ain't bilingual but speak a mixture of both languages

Do you classify them as what now
"Usu" grin
Usu a bughi anu elu, o bughi anu ala

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 11:39pm On Jun 04, 2015
soonest:

"Usu" grin
Usu a bughi anu elu, o bughi anu ala

Onye bu usu

Pls behave yourself young woman ..we do not call names here
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 11:40pm On Jun 04, 2015
Radoillo:

Having never been on the ground, I can only speak based off what I have read. And I have never read anywhere that Orogun is Isoko. All sources say they are Urhobo. However, they are very close to Isoko communities like Emevor, and there are traces of Isoko linguistic influence in their tongue. I think that is what you mean when you say they speak with an 'Isoko intonation'. Where is your wife from? Is it Abbi, Amai or Umuebu?

That's it ..obiaruku
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:56am On Jun 05, 2015
tonychristopher:
Asaba , onitsha, obosi speaks alike....so that is not debateable

Asaba has a different dialect,though intelligible to some Anambra towns. Obosi and Onicha speaks what I call the 'Ideocha' dialect,which is what a kid from Anambra who grew up in Onicha speaks.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 9:46am On Jun 05, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Asaba has a different dialect,though intelligible to some Anambra towns. Obosi and Onicha speaks what I call the 'Ideocha' dialect,which is what a kid from Anambra who grew up in Onicha speaks.

What then do they speak in asaba environs ..maybe enuani
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Malawian(m): 11:38am On Jun 05, 2015
oboy3:

and we use "ANI".

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 12:38pm On Jun 05, 2015
Radoillo:

Thanks.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:40pm On Jun 05, 2015
tonychristopher:

What then do they speak in asaba environs ..maybe enuani

Asaba dialect plus infusion from neighboring towns and Anambra.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Similoluwa, Sister Of Ooni’s Wife 'Steals Show' With Backside At Royal Event / Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.