Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,201 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (120482 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Remii(m): 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2015
what of kwalle people, they seem to understand each other one the rig
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2015
happydays1:
they should check Zambia, they bear some kind of IBO names like EMEKA and more.
are yu for real?
how undecided
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lahome: 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2015
In Delta they have
IKa
Ndokwa
Aniocha
and
Oshimilli

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by eminikansoso(m): 4:09pm On Apr 23, 2015
Macelliot:
Arochukwu is an Igbo dialect spoken by the people of Abia state.

Ngwa is an Igbo group, constitute the largest and most populous sub-ethnicity, in southeastern Nigeria. They are found in Abia State.

Nsukka is an Igbo dialect spoken by the people of Nsukka, Enugu State.

Enuani is an Igbo dialect spoken in Nigeria by the Igbo people of Delta State, Onitsha, Obosi and Ogbaru in Anambra State and Ndoni in Rivers State.

Ukwuani (Anioma) is an Igboid Language. They are found majorly in the Northern part of Delta State and in some parts of Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni local government area of Rivers State, Nigeria. Ukwuani is the second largest ethnic nationality in Delta state after the Urhobo people. It is also the largest in Delta North region which is referred to as the Anioma...

Ozara is an Igbo dialect spoken by the people of Nkanu west in Enugu state...

Ogba (also Oba) is an Igbo dialect of the Ogba people of Rivers State, Nigeria.
Umuezeohaka is an Igbo dialect/group of people in Ado, Oju, Obi and Okpoku LGAs of Benue state.
Ekpeye is an Igboid language of Rivers State, Nigeria.
Mgbo language, Mgbolizhia, is an Igbo language spoken in Ebonyi state in Nigeria.

Ikwerre, is an Igboid language spoken primarily by the Ikwerre people who inhabit Rivers State, Nigeria.

Ezaa is an Igbo language spoken in Ebonyi state in Nigeria. It forms a dialect cluster with closely related Izii, Ikwo , and Mgbo , though they are only marginally mutually intelligible.

Ikwo is an Igbo language spoken in Ebonyi state in Nigeria.
Ohuhu is an Igbo dialect spoken by the people of Umuahia, Abia state...

Owerre is an Igbo dialect spoken by the people of Owerri, Imo state...
Agbor is an Igboid dialect with bini influence spoken by the people of Ika south, Delta state..
Ibeku is an Igbo dialect spoken by some people of Owerri and Umuahia in Imo and Abia respectively....
Isuama is an Igbo dialect spoken in by the emacipated slaves from Igbo Origin in Sierra Leone...
Afikpo is an Igbo dialect spoken by some group of people in Ebonyi state...
Ohafia is an Igbo dialect spoken by the people of Bende in Abia State...
Enugu-Ezike is an Igbo dialect spoken by the Enugu-Ezike people of Enugu state..
Izugbe is an Igbo dialect spoken generally by all Igbo groups..
Idemili is an Igbo dialect spoken by the people of Idemili North and south in Anambra state...
Mbaise is an Igbo dialect spoken by the people of Mbaise in Imo state...
somebody to give us all the languages spoken in CROSS RIVERS STATE
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Bants(m): 4:09pm On Apr 23, 2015
emmysoftyou:
no no no,we can neva change it,no matter how u chose to pronounce it,we can neva eva change it..
that name give us strength to proceed,
strength to survives
strength to fight and win.
strength to dominate
strength to make it.
strength to be seeing what others cant see.
strength to apply wisdom,knowledge and ability.

bro am a proud igbo and i will die igbo and i will come as igbo and live as igbo..

Hmmm Okonkwo
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Onyiridike(f): 4:09pm On Apr 23, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:
a Rivers man is NOT and will NEVER be an Igbo man

Who is begging him to be Igbo?

You think the crude oil in their land makes them more human than others?

They can answer Emeka, speak Igbo and choose to be called Hausas. Who cares?

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by pazienza(m): 4:10pm On Apr 23, 2015
AndreUweh:

The OP listed Enuani. Aniocha is part of Enuani.

True. Aniocha and Oshimili are Enu-ani.

Onenaira6, iwe enwe na gi. Belu ma icho ka, e kewa Enu-ani uzo ibuo, ya bu : Aniocha na Oshimili.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 4:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
OneNaira6:
So OP you disregarded the best Igbo group, ANIOCHA?
You added Ukwuani but no Aniocha? You added Ika but no Aniocha? You added Ikwerre but no Aniocha?

Okay kwa
he didnt even add my own tribe's language,so i guess that s not all.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ikology(m): 4:12pm On Apr 23, 2015
Mrval20:
Umu Nsukka Asadu, unu eme aga?

Anyi di cha oyi cheesy

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by AndreUweh(m): 4:12pm On Apr 23, 2015
Nsu,Uboma, Obowu and Ihitte all in Okigwe South of Imo state speak same dialect yet no common name for their dialect.

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Afam4eva(m): 4:12pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ishilove:

Afam, biko sarum ye. Ayaf tok my own. You can kiss my assssssssssss!!! tongue grin cheesy
The pleasure is mine. Oya, bring it here grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by OneNaira6: 4:14pm On Apr 23, 2015
AndreUweh:

The OP listed Enuani. Aniocha is part of Enuani.

I didn't see the Enuani written up there. I had to double check.

Dalu for pointing that out.

I'm good now grin grin grin Good job OP

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by wisdomguy4u(m): 4:14pm On Apr 23, 2015
ichidodo:
Igboid our ass...these here are all igbo dialects...no such things as igboid else we just might create Hausoid,Fulanoid and Yoruboid crap...

A hungry man is an angry man. Bros, I understand situation
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by FreeGlobe(f): 4:14pm On Apr 23, 2015
HopeAtHand:
The op of this thread has maliciously included Ikwerre amongst the various Igbo clans.

The constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria recognises the Igbo and Ikwerre as two separate tribes..Nigerians can always refer to the constitution whenever that need arises.

We are not surprised at the Igbos and their tendencies because other Nigerians can prove that are always a provocative tribe and have the nature of attaching themselves to other people either by hook or crook.

tonychristopher, Pazienza, emmysoftyou, babyosisi, freeglobe, Abagworo and other NL igbos should do well to inform the op.
certainly you are not speaking for all Ikwerre. I have Ikwerre friends and Ikwerre is not a homogeneous tribe that is why Ikwerre does not have a king. There is a part of Ikwerre with igbo descent (emuoha, ubima etc) while there is another part with Edo or somewhere descent. Even wike once described it as Ikwerre north and south so speak for where you belong. The op is talking about ikwerre with igbo descent. Au ruvior.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2015
Adaezeagu:
I speak and ukwauani language fluently. Der is no element of Edo or yoruba der. Ukwuani language is like turning igbo upside down. Infact an igboman can understand d language if u listen attentively
on point..
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 23, 2015
HopeAtHand:
The op of this thread has maliciously included Ikwerre amongst the various Igbo clans.

The constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria recognises the Igbo and Ikwerre as two separate tribes..Nigerians can always refer to the constitution whenever that need arises.

We are not surprised at the Igbos and their tendencies because other Nigerians can prove that are always a provocative tribe and have the nature of attaching themselves to other people either by hook or crook.

tonychristopher, Pazienza, emmysoftyou, babyosisi, freeglobe, Abagworo and other NL igbos should do well to inform the op.

'Igboid' as it is currently used in academic circles cover the following 'languages':

1.) Igbo Proper (an all-encompassing name for all the lects spoken in the South-East, except for the Ezza-Izi-Ikwo-Mgbo cluster)

2. Ezza-Izi-Ikwo-Mgbo

3. Ika

4. Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni

5. Ogba

6. Enuani

7. Etche

8. Ikwerre

9. Ekpeye (the most distinct of them all).

Every academic source there is will tell you the same thing.

5 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Psuedy(f): 4:17pm On Apr 23, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:
a Rivers man is NOT and will NEVER be an Igbo man

Rivers State is a multilingual/cultural state and some places not all actually speak some Igbo,bear igbo names n av similar cultures..I said "some" not "all"..even Egbema community ws split into two.some parts r in Rivers , n odas in Imo state..doesnt mak dem deny dia language..

6 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by pazienza(m): 4:18pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ikology:

Anyi di cha oyi cheesy

Atomumgege! Biko unu espikilekwe ebe a o! *grins*
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ikwerreboy(m): 4:18pm On Apr 23, 2015
Igbos igbos igbos, hw mny times hv i called u dirty migrants, Ikwerre,Ekpeye and Ogba are not igbos, they have desame ancestrial root trace to benin,(Then Oba awure).. As for the Ndoni people they have never accepted been igbo, only time shall tell, we shall all be here and hear that Rivers state Govt deports 1,000 igbos back to south east under the administration of Gov-elect Chief Nyesom wike, Continue bringing hatred for your self..

Under the administration of former governor of rivers state Dr. Peter Odilli of Ndoni, you igbos organised a prayer for all ur igbo brothers to come together and pray, concerning there stay in port harcourt (ikwerre land) and other part of rivers state, that there is an evil plan to be carried out on the igbos in rivers state.

You were been invited to the state house of assembly for organising such a prayer with the concept of the state govt, which the so called Gov. Amaechi from ikwerre who have demolished thousands of ur shops, arrested most of you who tried to acquire ikwerre local govt identification because of our similarities in names, who claimed his igbo during buhari presidential campaign in abia state, because he knows how tribalistic you people are, was the speaker of rivers state house of assembly then.

Not only that, the ikwerre concil of elders summoned you igbos and asked you people to pay fine for organising such a prayer with out the concept of the ikwerre people who own the land you derive ur daily bread. just to name a few.

You igbos are group of confused people who have no direction, the most divided ethnic group in nigeria, you are so hated all over nigeria because of your silly attitude.

The ikwerres,ogbas,ekpeye,etche and Ndoni of rivers state are not members of your Ohaeze ndi igbo organisation i wounder why you idiots include us in your irritating igbo identity we dnt belong,

Below is a brief history of the ikwerre,ogba and ekpeye people of rivers state which the benin cultural heritage have confirmed it when they visited port harcourt (ikwerre land), Ogba and ekpeye you fools:

Chief N.M.T. Solomon (2004), native of Ikodu Ubie in Ekpeyeland, in
his narrative draws heavily from the now authenticated written
historical records delivered by various informed sources including
“Eketu (Weber) of Ubeta, assumed to have lived for over two hundred
(200) years as the oldest man in all Ekpeye, Ogba and Iwhnurọ hna (or
Ikwerre), at that time (and) was asked to narrate the history and
customs of Ekpeye people” as unfolded in his lifetime. Here is what he
said, which has been validated by the accounts of the current
generation through responses to our questionnaires and direct
interviews thereby increasing our level of confidence on the data:
Ekpeye, born in Benin, was the first of the three sons of Akalaka.
While in Ndoni, he married a second wife to gain the love and favour
of the people. The new wife gave birth to a son, which he named Ogba.
Akalaka was still in Ndoni when his first wife, the mother of Ekpeye,
gave birth to his third son called Ihruoha (Ikwerre) .

Proudly Ikwerre..

Ikwerre has 4 local govtment areas in rivers state for those who thinks its only Port harcourt, no see image below:

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
Mayor21:
Legbo in Abi L.G.A in cross river state...
I think there also have sme igbo people in Akwa ibom state.
yes there are.
pezienza wil be the one to explicate better.cheesy
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nafikowa: 4:19pm On Apr 23, 2015
Kanyol:

That's my zone o, and I'm hearing it for the first time o

Orlu is not Igbo language, most communities or people around that zone speak that same kind of Igbo. So Orlu cannot be singled out to be Igbo language.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 4:20pm On Apr 23, 2015
babajero:
Op what of " otu ocha " spoken by mbano, the home of central igbo.
how is mbano the home of central igbo?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ikwerreboy(m): 4:21pm On Apr 23, 2015
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by somegirl1: 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Reread the post, spot what you missed or misubderstood, then edit your comment.

2 Likes

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2015
Rilwayne001:

undecided
islam is a religeon of peace and Boko haram and ISIS are practising peaceful islam
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by egesie(m): 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2015
what of Oboro dialect?
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by emmysoftyou: 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2015
NobleG1:
I think Igbo is the biggest and most vast ethnic group in West Africa.
yu can say it again cheesy
we have igbo speaking group in equitoria guinea,they speak igbo as their dialect while spanish as official language there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tochstorm(m): 4:27pm On Apr 23, 2015
ibile!!
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 23, 2015
Rilwayne001:

undecided
islam is a religeon of peace and Boko haram and ISIS are practising peaceful isla.m

1 Like

Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by tonychristopher: 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2015
I concur with you and disagree with hope at hand, Ikwerre speaks Igbo but might not be igbo, depending on the side of divide he is, I HAVE SEEN PROUD IGBOS FROM IKWERRE nad i have seen foolish ones that doesnt know where they are from

so I will noty categorize all ikwerre as non igbo

AMAECHI even told them that he is IGBO and i am yet to see any EZE that said that iklwerre aint igbo even Gbakogbako

HOPEATHAND MY FOE (LOL) Jiri nwayo maka ime gi ihe

Radoillo:

'Igboid' as it is currently used in academic circles cover the following 'languages':

1.) Igbo Proper (an all-encompassing name for all the lects spoken in the South-East, except for the Ezza-Izi-Ikwo-Mgbo cluster)

2. Ezza-Izi-Ikwo-Mgbo

3. Ika

4. Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni

5. Ogba

6. Enuani

7. Etche

8. Ikwerre

9. Ekpeye (the most distinct of them all).

Every academic source there is will tell you the same thing.
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by pazienza(m): 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2015
Yorubaboy, please take your madness else where. http://www.elombah.com/index.php/special-reports/16602-ikwerre-is-igbo
Re: A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donshaddow(m): 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ukwu-Ani..... Its 90% igboid.

Its my dialect. cool
Ishilove:
Ukwuani is not exactly igboid. There are elements of Yoruba and Edo contained therein.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Similoluwa, Sister Of Ooni’s Wife 'Steals Show' With Backside At Royal Event / Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.