Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! (5539 Views)

Emirates Airline Celebrates The April Fool's Day With This Insane Jet / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / Emirates Plane Collides With Hak-air Plane During Take-off At Lagos Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by Jiblo(m): 6:40pm On Apr 22, 2015
On my last trip to the US, I opted to use Qatar Airways, mainly because of the affordable ticket promos....BIG MISTAKE!
The officials at the Point of Connection (POC) in DOHA are unfriendly and unreasonable to Black Africans travelling via Doha, as I observed.

If you are Algerian, Egyptian, Tunisian or can speak Arabic, you get preferential treatment. If you are a black African, you are made to wait before you are attended to.

The issue is the short visit/stop over immigration. Flights to the US usually have waiting or connecting times of up to 14 hours at a go. I was aware of this before the purchase and made a request for a stop over transit visa and accommodation (STPC) so I could rest before continuing with the flight the next day. This attracted even more money to the ticketing fees itself which I obliged.

On getting there, my transit visa request was refused and I was given food stamps instead and ended up staying in the airport all through the 14 hours. To make matters worse, I had to face the same ordeal on my return flight back.

My question and argument with them is that if you knew you were not going to issue any transit visas to non Arabic speaking black Africans, why did you take our money in the first place? Its called advance fee fraud.

My advice, not all that glitters is gold. And if something looks too good to be true, it usually is so don't go for it.
For the ordeal I went through, and the time, discomfort and money I suffered at Qatar Airways, I would have just added little more money like N20,000 extra and fly direct to the US on Delta or United and feel refreshed instead.

Don't get me wrong oh, the Qatar Airways flights were smooth and cozy but if you have time to burn/waste, don't mind sleeping in the airport, don't mind being treated with racial discrimination and/or you're looking for a cheap bargain, then you can fly with them.

In fact, instead of flying with them, fly with Emirates and Etihad instead, they are more friendly and have shorter stop over times.

4 Likes

Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 22, 2015
Thnk u 4d advice. Noted. Una fit move am to front page.
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by blessedfavoured: 10:26am On Apr 23, 2015
but the leg room in economy is everything though plus u could have used the lounge at the airport. Etihad will squeeze u like sardine, i was sleeping and nodding on an etihad flight because i couldnt recline my chair, there was a pregnant woman behind me and she begged me not to. my worst flight to date. Emirates is not so bad too
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by Tokyo50: 4:11pm On Apr 23, 2015
It is very hard to get a transit visa in any GCC states for a Nigerian. The best option is the lounge. You can rest comfortably, use free wi-fi, eat, sleep in a spacious bed, get a good hot shower and drink as much beer as your stomach can handle (beer is hidden, you have to specifically ask the staff). All this comfort, you only pay $40! There is a time limit but most don't care to look for you.
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by Jiblo(m): 8:33pm On Apr 23, 2015
Thanks guys for the new info, most especially about the 40USD Lounge.
Its just that I was so upset and in so much disarray, I vowed never to go via Doha again.
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by jukeblam(m): 4:46am On Apr 24, 2015
Makes two of us who just made that vow...lolz.

I had a similar flight too; when I called their office to inquire about that STPC and it wasn't standard procedure for my ticket class, I just boned and used the money shop somethings (not at duty free, of course!).
I used my few Qmiles buy DF sha since I don vow.

I had 8hrs layover going and 14hrs returning; I just camped at the airport staring at those metal statues- as if one of them would move grin

Meanwhile, even the Dubai officers have their noses stuck in the air as well (must be a Middle Eastern thing, no?!)
My own vow now is avoiding the whole M.E.- except as a last resort. It's actually a boomerang journey if one checks it well.

And then, their carryon weight tolerance is way stricter than emirates- or maybe I was just unlucky (both ways shocked )

Thank God for the free wifi though!

1 Like

Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by thegreengooner(m): 8:07am On Apr 24, 2015
One World status over colour of your skin...just saying

1 Like

Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by blessedfavoured: 9:04am On Apr 24, 2015
thegreengooner:

Exactly!!! they won't treat a gold or platinum card holder anyhow
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by sthugo: 9:53am On Apr 24, 2015
All I know is qatar new transit airport is beautiful and their crew members are very friendly...I am always entertained with both white and red wines anytime I asked.
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by thegreengooner(m): 12:31pm On Apr 24, 2015
blessedfavoured:

Exactly!!! they won't treat a gold or platinum card holder anyhow

I spent 14 hours in the lounge in January....even got me a private room
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 24, 2015
blessedfavoured:
but the leg room in economy is everything though plus u could have used the lounge at the airport. Etihad will squeeze u like sardine, i was sleeping and nodding on an etihad flight because i couldnt recline my chair, there was a pregnant woman behind me and she begged me not to. my worst flight to date. Emirates is not so bad too
Etihad is d best for me tho
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by Tokyo50: 1:16am On Apr 27, 2015
It's nothing personal. Most countries have little respect for a Nigerian passport holder. The few thugs have ruined the reputation of many.

The launge is a God-Send for citizens of countries with restricted passports. Instead of going crazy for 14 hours at the airport, you can eat, sleep, use free wifi and drink as much as you want for very little money.

It is in fact cheaper than some European airports. The hotel inside Schipol Airport in Amsterdam charges nearly $100 for 12 hours of rest in their cubical and you might not even get the room!

4 Likes

Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by Jiblo(m): 10:02pm On Apr 28, 2015
Meeehn, thank God for the free WIFI oohh! That was the only thing that kept me sane...and the food stamps too! Lol! grin

jukeblam:
Makes two of us who just made that vow...lolz.

I had a similar flight too; when I called their office to inquire about that STPC and it wasn't standard procedure for my ticket class, I just boned and used the money shop somethings (not at duty free, of course!).
I used my few Qmiles buy DF sha since I don vow.

I had 8hrs layover going and 14hrs returning; I just camped at the airport staring at those metal statues- as if one of them would move grin

Meanwhile, even the Dubai officers have their noses stuck in the air as well (must be a Middle Eastern thing, no?!)
My own vow now is avoiding the whole M.E.- except as a last resort. It's actually a boomerang journey if one checks it well.

And then, their carryon weight tolerance is way stricter than emirates- or maybe I was just unlucky (both ways shocked )

Thank God for the free wifi though!
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by Jiblo(m): 10:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
thegreengooner:

How does one get this one world status?
I have my flying blue on delta-airfrance-klm and skywards on emirates but not this one world stuff.

Details pls. Thanks.
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by thegreengooner(m): 10:07am On Apr 29, 2015
Jiblo:

How does one get this one world status?
I have my flying blue on delta-airfrance-klm and skywards on emirates but not this one world stuff.

Details pls. Thanks.

Qatar Airways is a member of the OneWorld Alliance (British Airways, American Airlines, Royal Jordanian, Qantas, Air Berlin, LAN, US Airways etc.)

My brother you are OYO with flying blue. Please switch to a partner airline.
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by obamma: 3:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
avoid quatar airways. I had the same terrible experience with them. Him who have ears , let him hear.

1 Like

Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by suxes2005(m): 4:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
Etihad POC is worse. Especially when you're going to the States.

Better buy direct ticket to the States to avoid
stories that touch.

Etihad? Nah Nah Nah!!!
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by basica7000: 6:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
Etihad has been the best for me...I don't agree that it's poc jus bad.......I have always had better experience with etihad whenever am going to the states....very quorteous set of people....
Re: Beware! Qatar Airways POC Not Nigerian Friendly. Use Emirates, Etihad Instead! by claremont(m): 6:47pm On Jun 21, 2015
''Transit accommodation is up to the discretion of Qatar Airways. Not all fares are eligible for this stopover service, please contact your local Qatar Airways office to confirm whether this service is available for your journey, charges may apply.''--http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/transit-accommodation.page

It does say on their website that this service is not provided to all who may be eligible for it. I have traveled with Qatar Airways in the past and I have not experienced anything negative about them. The in-house smokers lounge at their Doha Airport fills me with nostalgia, unlike most airports where smokers have to exit to light up.

(1) (Reply)

Kuwait Visa Requirement / Nigerian Married Three Jamaican Women Over A Six-month / Lagos To Benin City By Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.