Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,803 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother (22868 Views)

Tyler Perry Has This To Say To Fat And Unhealthy People. / Nigerian Mother Owes UK Hospital £145,000 For Giving Birth To Five Children / I Wanna Be Fat Nd Tall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Naijasinglegirl: 9:48am On Apr 23, 2015
No, I am not fat yet. But I recently noticed a sprout of abdominal fat and I have every cause to worry my body may one day blow out of proportion. . . If I don't make money and move out of my house ASAP.
This is probably due to the fact that I spend a lot of time lazing at home, I mistake boredom for hunger and of course, there is my super caring mother. A typical Nigerian mother that never thinks her kids are fat enough.
Please, allow me to narrate my futile attempts to stay fit.

1. You are never fat enough for a typical Nigerian mother

My mum has made it a point of duty to keep tabs on my weight even though I maintain a fairly constant weight all year long. Whenever I'm out of her sight for a few days, the first thing she says when we reunite is "Were you sick or didn't you feed properly where you went?". The next thing she does is overdose me with akpu with egusi soup.

2. You are never fat enough for your neighbours
Do I need to mention other mothers in my neighbourhood that make it their responsibility to keep reminding me, "Naijasinglegirl you are not adding oh. What's wrong?" "You would have been finer than this but you've refused to add."
Technically, weight gain is a compliment in some parts of Nigeria. Its no surprise "Good morning, you are adding weight oh." has become a style of greeting in some places.

3 No money for gym
I can't imagine spending my money on gym and gym equipment in this my unemployed state. Nope. Not yet.

4. Routine diet
My mom is the principal chef of the house and her meals are stereotype. Morning- bread. Afternoon -Eba, Evening- rice. How am I supposed to stay fit when I am carbohydrate number one ambassador? Whenever I attempt to prepare calcium and iron like plantain and strong pomo, an angry mom is at the kitchen door, warning me not to exhaust her gas.

5. No place for home exercise.
We live in the second floor of a 2 storey apartment. Last week, I attempted running up and down the staircase as a form of exercise. I barely went one lap when our landlady came knocking at the door to reprimand whoever was disturbing her quiet.

6. No defined mealtime
In a typical Nigerian house like mine, there is nothing like breakfast, lunch or dinner time. Your breakfast may be ready at 11am, lunch at 7:30pm and dinner at 1am. When I complain to my mother, she usually says "My friend go and sit down. Is it your money or food?" I'm pretty sure you all know the consequences for eating heaving meals at odd hours.

7. Fruits are so frigging expensive
One can't ignore the benefits of fruits and veggies when going on a healthy diet. In Lagos supermarkets, most of my favourite fruits like apples, red grapes, lemons and bananas are overpriced.
The only ones that came cheap for me are cucumbers, garden eggs, oranges and agbalumo. When I got tired with chewing tasteless cucumbers, bitter garden eggs and sour agbalumo, no one told me to give up and return to my mother's good old fufu & egusi soup.

8. No place to jog
I made a new month resolution to jog around my street but fail to keep to my word each time.
Reasons being,
- Mama Ronke and co don't fail to make a jest of me when they see me jog pass their house in the day. The first and only time I tried it, Mama Ronke asked "You wan disappear ni?"
- When it gets dark, my overprotective dad never fails to remind me of criminals lurking around the corner to snatch my phone or inflict some other body harm on innocent passersby like me.
- There are 4 vicious, untrained, no-nonsense dogs in my estate, they might mistake my running around for a criminal behaviour. Need I spell out the consequences for me?

9. Appetisers, appetisers, appetisers
This is a spin off from No.1. In a typical Nigerian house, there is always the need for the mother of the house to force her kids to swallow appetiser tablets or one of those blood tonic capsules to encourage you to eat and sleep indiscriminately which inadvertently results in a big belle.

10. No Motivation
Our family friend is currently residing with us. Frequent trips to the labour room left her with two tipper tyres on her tummy. I told her to partner with me so both of us can work on staying fit but her attempts cracks me up. Every evening, she does only ten rounds of lazy situps and gulps down two bottles of beer immediately to re-energise her. How refreshing!

97 Likes 18 Shares

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Nobody: 9:51am On Apr 23, 2015
first to comment sha, naijasinglegirl is a literature powerhouse,

my peeps, abeg help me pray that my nairabet ticket wins this weekend,

read my signature too

11 Likes

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Naijasinglegirl: 9:52am On Apr 23, 2015
I also want to use this opportunity to thank my friends from Nairaland for voting my blog (http://www.naijasinglegirl.com) as the best Nigerian humour blog and best personal/lifestyle blog. we won grin cool grin Thank you.

93 Likes 7 Shares

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Atk01(f): 9:52am On Apr 23, 2015
Funny! cheesy
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Atk01(f): 9:53am On Apr 23, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
I also want to use this opportunity to thank my friends from Nairaland for voting my blog (http://www.naijasinglegirl.com) as the best Nigerian humour blog and best personal/lifestyle blog. we won grin cool grin Thank you.
Congratulations!

3 Likes

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by justi4jesu(f): 9:56am On Apr 23, 2015
6. No defined mealtime
In a typical Nigerian house like mine, there is nothing like breakfast, lunch or dinner time. Your breakfast may be ready at 11am, lunch at 7:30pm and dinner at 1am. When I complain to my mother, she usually says "My friend go and sit down. Is it your money or food?" I'm pretty sure you all know the consequences for eating heaving meals at odd hours.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 23, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:
No, I am not fat yet. But I recently noticed a sprout of abdominal fat and I have every cause to worry my body may one day blow out of proportion. . . If I don't make money and move out of my house ASAP.
This is probably due to the fact that I spend a lot of time lazing at home, I mistake boredom for hunger and of course, there is my super caring mother. A typical Nigerian mother that never thinks her kids are fat enough.
Please, allow me to narrate my futile attempts to stay fit.

1. You are never fat enough for a typical Nigerian mother

My mum has made it a point of duty to keep tabs on my weight even though I maintain a fairly constant weight all year long. Whenever I'm out of her sight for a few days, the first thing she says when we reunite is "Were you sick or didn't you feed properly where you went?". The next thing she does is overdose me with akpu with egusi soup.

2. You are never fat enough for your neighbours
Do I need to mention other mothers in my neighbourhood that make it their responsibility to keep reminding me, "Naijasinglegirl you are not adding oh. What's wrong?" "You would have been finer than this but you've refused to add."
Technically, weight gain is a compliment in some parts of Nigeria. Its no surprise "Good morning, you are adding weight oh." has become a style of greeting in some places.

3 No money for gym
I can't imagine spending my money on gym and gym equipment in this my unemployed state. Nope. Not yet.

4. Routine diet
My mom is the principal chef of the house and her meals are stereotype. Morning- bread. Afternoon -Eba, Evening- rice. How am I supposed to stay fit when I am carbohydrate number one ambassador? Whenever I attempt to prepare calcium and iron like plantain and strong pomo, an angry mom is at the kitchen door, warning me not to exhaust her gas.

5. No place for home exercise.
We live in the second floor of a 2 storey apartment. Last week, I attempted running up and down the staircase as a form of exercise. I barely went one lap when our landlady came knocking at the door to reprimand whoever was disturbing her quiet.

6. No defined mealtime

7. Fruits are so frigging expensive
One can't ignore the benefits of fruits and veggies when going on a healthy diet. In Lagos supermarkets, most of my favourite fruits like apples, red grapes, lemons and bananas are overpriced.
The only ones that came cheap for me are cucumbers, garden eggs, oranges and agbalumo. When I got tired with chewing tasteless cucumbers, bitter garden eggs and sour agbalumo, no one told me to give up and return to my mother's good old fufu & egusi soup.

8. No place to jog
I made a new month resolution to jog around my street but fail to keep to my word each time.
Reasons being,
- Mama Ronke and co don't fail to make a jest of me when they see me jog pass their house in the day. The first and only time I tried it, Mama Ronke asked "You wan disappear ni?"
- When it gets dark, my overprotective dad never fails to remind me of criminals lurking around the corner to snatch my phone or inflict some other body harm on innocent passersby like me.
- There are 4 vicious, untrained, no-nonsense dogs in my estate, they might mistake my running around for a criminal behaviour. Need I spell out the consequences for me?

9. Appetisers, appetisers, appetisers
This is a spin off from No.1. In a typical Nigerian house, there is always the need for the mother of the house to force her kids to swallow appetiser tablets or one of those blood tonic capsules to encourage you to eat and sleep indiscriminately which inadvertently results in a big belle.

10. No Motivation
Our family friend is currently residing with us. Frequent trips to the labour room left her with two tipper tyres on her tummy. I told her to partner with me so both of us can work on staying fit but her attempts cracks me up. Every evening, she does only ten rounds of lazy situps and gulps down two bottles of beer immediately to re-energise her. How refreshing!

Congratulations on the win...
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 23, 2015
This subject is so on point. My momma made me fat. grin

6 Likes

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by kristen12(f): 10:22am On Apr 23, 2015
Congratulations NSG
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Naijasinglegirl: 10:44am On Apr 23, 2015
Brandnew2:
This subject is so on point. My momma made me fat. grin
a guy?
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by kellyJames5(m): 10:44am On Apr 23, 2015
Nice write up.
And congrats on the win.
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Naijasinglegirl: 10:45am On Apr 23, 2015
IndecentStar:

nice write up baby keep it up i think am falling inlove with you
cry BABY? i'm in my mid 40's

5 Likes

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Gboliwe: 10:48am On Apr 23, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:

Wow! I voted 3 blogs for 3 different segments that's including yours. 2 have won, I hope dobby's signature wins. She is the 3rd of the three. Congrats. We did it

2 Likes

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by hahn(m): 10:57am On Apr 23, 2015
NJS, where have you been? I've missed your write ups. Funny as ever!

Let me go back and read it grin

1 Like

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by yuzjet(m): 11:09am On Apr 23, 2015
Kul!
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by udemedia1: 11:10am On Apr 23, 2015
undecided good one
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Mbamally(m): 11:11am On Apr 23, 2015
Naijasinglegirl:

shocked grin

now you get mouth. where were you when FG Drags Nairaland to Supreme Court cool
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by sweatholder(m): 11:12am On Apr 23, 2015
hmmmm
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by BruzMoney(m): 11:12am On Apr 23, 2015
Naijasinglegirl blog is my best blog in Nigeria
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Opinedecandid(m): 11:12am On Apr 23, 2015
Story, story, story.

The last time it was that way was in the twentieth century.

Not again this twenty first century.
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by hemartins(m): 11:13am On Apr 23, 2015
My mum would stock my bag with multivitamin and blood tonic when I was an undergraduate. Don't come back home slim she would say.
Sweet mother. She is always the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by TheRealAdonye(m): 11:13am On Apr 23, 2015
True

1 Like

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by Nobody: 11:13am On Apr 23, 2015
Fat gals
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by bobcharly(m): 11:13am On Apr 23, 2015
nice one
Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by VickyRotex(f): 11:14am On Apr 23, 2015
My mum made me fat chubby too cry cry

I love being chubby too cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: You Can Never Be Fat Enough For A Typical Nigerian Mother by baybeeboi: 11:15am On Apr 23, 2015
oh!
Wrong thread at a time.
Well,Fat ladies rock.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Stay Away From Boli, Suya, They Can Cause Cancer – SOGHIN Warn Nigerian / Coronavirus: Obaseki Goes Into Self-isolation, Sends In Samples For Testing / Bad Habits Our Youths Pick Up From Eating Too Frequently In Cafeterias..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.