Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,917 members, 7,802,983 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (133648 Views)

Top Twenty Most Developed Countries By HDI / Jonathan: Nigeria Will Join 20 Most Developed Countries By 2020 / The 5 Most Developed Countries In Africa Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by dayokanu(m): 8:43am On Feb 02, 2009
South Africa
Egypt
Morroco
Tunisia
Ghana

Nigeria Think about a country without electricity as developed
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by nyarnyar: 9:01am On Feb 02, 2009
I guess everyone can agree that South africa is number 1 in terms of economic prosperity, also I believe that Gabon Botswana and Libya are amoung the top five but as for the fifth it's a toss-up because countries such as Sudan have very high income although situations like the war must be taken into account therefore demoting it from the top 5.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by smooooooth: 9:04am On Feb 02, 2009
nigerian is not one of the first 5 countries in african in terms of human development and infrastruture, and its a shame that we are still struggling to be in the first african 5, when we have what it takes to be running for the first 10 in the world.

african first 5

1. south africa

2. egypt

3. morroco

4. ghana

5. libya.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by afiamanu(f): 9:30am On Feb 02, 2009
woahh, im ghanaian and i dont think that ghana should be amoung top 5, maybe top ten or something. I think just recently it's been booming maybe in another 4 years of good leadership it will be top 5 material
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by ikeyman00(m): 10:49am On Feb 02, 2009
these morons again? people that havent being to nigeria in the last 7 yrs de talk here. make una stay der think say niigeria looks like that hut in your village. believe nigeria aint that bad oo! funi enough, there are lots of nigerians in ghana that will disagree with morons like most of yall.

top 5 ghana? hmmm shocked.

my ppl pls pls pls visit home plsssssssssssssssssssss.

afiamanu!

i undertsand emm that ghana got 24 hrs electricity hahha ok. seriously thats impressive but how much power is it in watts. apart from accra, which other city in ghana that looks up the scratch? how often does power distributed to other town?

imagine abuja runnin on 24 hrs electricity from kanji dam whilist other state get electricity once in a while to accomodate 24-7 transmission to abuja. developement?

abeg commot ghana there, egypt yes thats alright

now the question thats remainds is how do u access development? k when nigeria finally get at least reasonable steady electricity, what next cool

morons make una vist our country oooo hmmm cool
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by superboi(m): 11:09am On Feb 02, 2009
ikeymann u reply sort of beat me to it. alot of the countries these people are talking about usually have just one or two big cities that are not bigger that calabar or uyo. and most of the great economic indices you see from those places hardly trickle down to the public. some how livivng in nigeria is hard i must admit and it can be much better. but i would venture to say that nigeria is in the top 5. another way to look at it is,which 5 country would love to set up business in africa and live at the same time?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by asha80(m): 11:10am On Feb 02, 2009
In no particular order;

south africa
egypt
tunisia
morrocco
botswana

For people that want to talk about potential of what use is potential if we cannot make good use of it.Like they say "a bottle of beer in the hand is better than 2 in the fridge".
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by earTHMama: 11:14am On Feb 02, 2009
1. Nigeria

2. Chad

3. Niger Republic

4. Libya

5. Sao Tome
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by BOSS7: 11:16am On Feb 02, 2009
I might be wrong as I’ve not stepped in Nigeria for over a decade however based on what I read, what people see when they return from their journeys and the daily news reports, I doubt I beg to differ when it comes to including Nigeria among the top 5 countries in Africa.

My inclusion however would be (not in any particular order):
Libya
Egypt
Tunisia
South Africa and
Mauritius.

I might be wrong though but I doubt Nigeria fits the list regardless of my opinion because when we talk of development, there are so many indications that must be considered and I doubt Nigeria ticks most of the boxes as of yet.

Electricity,  Water, Education, Good transport links (these are just very basic and Nigeria lacks in these infrastructures and even the percentage of the country that has the opportunity to get them is not even up to 30%. I might be wrong though.

There are different definitions of Developed Country. It all depends on what standard you're using.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 02, 2009
earTHMama:

1. Nigeria

2. Chad

3. Niger Republic

4. Libya

5. Sao Tome
Word and Opposite! Best, worst grin grin
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by meexteriox(m): 11:50am On Feb 02, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

I might be wrong as I’ve not stepped in Nigeria for over a decade however based on what I read, what people see when they return from their journeys and the daily news reports, I doubt I beg to differ when it comes to including Nigeria among the top 5 countries in Africa.

Libya
Egypt
Tunisia
South Africa and
Mauritius.

I might be wrong though but I doubt Nigeria fits the list regardless of my opinion because when we talk of development, there are so many indications that must be considered and I doubt Nigeria ticks most of the boxes as of yet.

Electricity,  Water, Education, Good transport links (these are just very basic and Nigeria lacks in these infrastructures and even the percentage of the country that has the opportunity to get them is not even up to 30%. I might be wrong though.

There are different definitions of Developed Country. It all depends on what standard you're using.

My brother, you are not far from the truth. What really are the criterias for listing this ''developed countries in Africa''?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by grafikdon: 11:56am On Feb 02, 2009
earTHMama:

1. Nigeria

2. Chad

3. Niger Republic

4. Libya

5. Sao Tome

Are you listing Africa's ''crapiest'' nations (In terms of development)? grin grin grin. . . Nigeria riddled with brainless murderers/criminals masquerading as "leaders'' and without electricity is No 1. . . Redhotchick, you have a bizarre sense of humour. . . shocked
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JustGood(m): 12:27pm On Feb 02, 2009
which countries in the varied opinions are the most developed in terms of infrastructure, economic development, provision of basic social amenities

Please read before responding. . .

infrastructures in Nigeria? where dem dey?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Charlesmud(m): 12:58pm On Feb 02, 2009
JustGood:

Please read before responding. . .

infrastructures in Nigeria? where dem dey?

So Namibia, Lybia, Egypt, Botswana, all this countries get infrastructure ?

My guy go sidown.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by SkyBlue1: 1:02pm On Feb 02, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

Libya
Egypt
Tunisia
South Africa and
Mauritius.

You haven't been to Nigeria in over a decade? Wow, you really should just for the experience. I didn't want to assume too much by suggesting it is 'home' for you : ).

Nigeria once upon a time was the largest exporter of oil in africa and the 8th largest exporter of oil in the world (we are now like the 9th or something), AND THE COUNTRY IMPORTS PETROL? Nigeria has a huge natural gas reserve capable of powering the whole country for a very long time to come and just about a year ago PHCN was celebrating that the country had reached its highest power generatin capacity of about 3500MW. South Africa has a population less than a third of Nigeria and has a generating capacity of 40,000MW. Nigeria drives a huge consumer economy which would sound good to some except when you consider that Nigeria imports pretty much everything and exports nothing. We give nothing to the world all we do is take and destroy. The germans are known for their innovative designs seen in cars, etc, the chinese are known for their productivity, the japanese are known for their efficiency, all of these are know for their industries; what is Nigeria known for? A country's whose income is completely dependent on the export of unrefined oil? Please throwing in the word "potential" into this whole discourse is tantamount to patronism and to be honest is nothing short of insulting. I love my country and yes, when people ask where am I from, i proudly proclaim Nigeria even if there is nothing solidly tangible to proudly proclaim about. It is simply love for the country, the people, the culture, etc. Such however does not equate to development.

Any country in africa that can supply power to the people, support industries and sustain a diversified economy is better than Nigeria in terms of development. Lesotho is seen as one of the poorest countries in the world. They rely a lot on aid and yet they are able to supply constant power supply to the people, you turn on the taps and water flows through, the roads are better than 99 percent of the roads in Nigeria, so what are we talking about here? Botswana has a much higher GDP than most countries in Africa, political stability, constant electricity, diversified trade in minerals, so what are we talking about? To even take it a step further, South Africa has functioning industries (meaning they export), good power supply, a diversified market, you turn on the taps and water comes through, world class infrastructure and a sizeable tertiary sector (South Africa does have a serious security problem though), so again, where does Nigeria come in?

1 Like

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JustGood(m): 1:07pm On Feb 02, 2009
Charlesmud:

So Namibia, Lybia, Egypt, Botswana, all this countries get infrastructure ?

My guy go sidown.

these, not this

what is your problem and why do I have to go sidown?
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by BOSS7: 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2009
meexteriox:

My brother, you are not far from the truth. What really are the criterias for listing this ''developed countries in Africa''?

TUNISIA
I read an extract in TIME magazine which says “On Oct. 31, in a Global Competitiveness Report that compares 125 countries, the World Bank and the World Economic Forum ranked Tunisia as having by far the best prospects for growth in Africa”. More so, the article delves further into the economy growth and development in the country. Though the country still suffers from a poor human rights record, I hope for the sake of argument, we could both agree that this country has left behind the issue of basic infrastructures to a thing of the past and are actually now focusing on competition with the developed countries.

“This country of 10.2 million people has largely triumphed over the grinding problems of poverty and illiteracy that have beset Arab neighbors like Morocco and Algeria, and left parts of Africa close to economic collapse.”
In the process, “Tunisia offers other developing nations a tantalizing example of how to overhaul their economies by pushing education, business-friendly policies and trade with the West.”  “Much as Singapore has done in Southeast Asia, Tunisia has succeeded by galvanizing the raw potential of its people. It's an impressive instance of a country farsightedly making a virtue out of necessity: despite being wedged between energy giants Libya and Algeria, Tunisia has few natural resources; no vein of gems or minerals runs under its desert flatlands.”

See http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1678272-1,00.html for mre information

MAURITIUS
This was realized from three mates who are from this country and I can tell you that all of them were as confident of going back to their countries to secure their immediate futures as opposed to staying back in the UK to secure a job because they’re very positive about the stable economy back home (according to them).

A stable democracy with regular free elections and a positive human rights record, the country has attracted considerable foreign investment and has earned one of Africa's highest per capita incomes.

See https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/mp.html for more information

LIBYA
More so, I have friends from this country and they have re-iterated what Wikipedia has to say.
In 2003, 86% of the population was urban, compared to 45% in 1970. Although no reliable estimates are available, unemployment is reportedly acute. Over 50% of the population under the age of 20. Moreover, despite the bias of labour market regulations favoring Libyan workers, the mismatch of the educational system with market demand has produced a large pool of expatriate workers, with typically better-suited education and higher productivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Libya

SOUTH AFRICA
I presume we all could agree about SA being the “giant of Africa” economically. “South African economic policy is fiscally conservative but pragmatic, focusing on controlling inflation, maintaining a budget surplus, and using state-owned enterprises to deliver basic services to low-income areas as a means to increase job growth and household income.”

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sf.html

EGYPT
Egypt has had a very strong economic growth in recent years, a situation that continues even as of 2005, with a growth in GDP of 4.5% divided on a population
Growth of 1.8%.
According to the IMF,
In recent years, Egyptian bureaucracy has been slimmed to facilitate national activities and foreign investments. While exporters earlier had to deal with several state authorities, they now only need to face one. Egypt's recent growth performance has been the best in years
Growth was sparked by economic reform, liberalization
Further fiscal consolidation, other reforms are key to sustaining growth, creating jobs

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/survey/so/2008/car021308a.htm

1 Like

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Charlesmud(m): 1:23pm On Feb 02, 2009
BOSS we know all this countries and luxemburg be the first while equitoral guinea be the second richest countries in the world and mind you these second is in Africa , so what do we get from it ? if not Nigeria still assisting them.

All this list na the list of countries the Europeans dey control and in the meantime giving them names, poor them !!!

JustGood thanks for the correction so why didnt you anwser my question atleast you could correct my English.

Make you go sidown if you know get proves or stronge reasons to backup your words except for the fact of what they told you on TV.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by SkyBlue1: 1:28pm On Feb 02, 2009
@Charlesmud let us just for a sec assume (although i highly doubt it) that Nigeria is actually providing 'these' countries with any tangible help or support, i am afraid that such will not help your arguement and will even prove Nigeria to be the most mentally underdeveloped Nation in the world. Why on earth will a beggar that cannot cater for himself (even with all the "potential" around him) go around giving out food to others that are faring better? Does that not show mental retardation?

One could argue that Nigeria has progressed from where it was 10 years ago. Though i may not completely agree i will definately see the merit of such arguement, however once again such is meaningless considering how low the country has actually descended. It is equivalent to a dead person telling you they are feeling better when for such a scenario anything can pass for better, even if it is cancer and a life support machine.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JustGood(m): 1:33pm On Feb 02, 2009
charles, dont get yourself too muddied up.

What exactly have I said on this thread? Or do you just have a heavy chip on your shoulders?

I have not mentioned any country as either developed or indeveloped!
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by asha80(m): 1:35pm On Feb 02, 2009
@Charlesmud
If nigeria is as developed as south africa and egypt then why are you advocating for breakaway state for yorubas
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JustGood(m): 1:36pm On Feb 02, 2009
Anyway, Nigeria cannot be said to be developed if you consider the OP's yardsticks.

Where are the infrastructures in Nigeria?

Roads?
Power supply?
Water?
Communications?
security
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by superboi(m): 1:37pm On Feb 02, 2009
well, according to one documenetary that i was wacthing last nite on BBc world, using statistics and indices of developed world to judge dat of the developing world could be highly deceptive and may likely not corrobrate what u have in reality in those countries.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Charlesmud(m): 1:51pm On Feb 02, 2009
People, check my posts and you will notice that I said YES Nigeria is not developed BUT it shouldnt be compared to all this countries listed.

Yes maybe SA is doing fine and YES Ghana has a good political system But so ?

As for the separation thing, I see the problem Nigeria have to be beyong political so I assume since we citizens are too educated and smart to do something actively positive then we should just separate which will bring peace and everbody will face his resources and know how to manage it.

Do you guys knows how Italy is today ? still cant it ve ever said its not developed being the fact there are so many better countries in Europe thats better than Italy. We should consider enough thing before make a conclusion.

Yes this countries seems balance, yes they have a kinda stable economy, but do you all know Nigeria is the largest invester in Africa ?, recently about 2 African countries asked for some financial assistance from Nigeria cus of this economy crisis.

Our problems is not having a good leaders and that have created alot tribal and political problems.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Kobojunkie: 1:57pm On Feb 02, 2009
superboi:

well, according to one documenetary that i was wacthing last nite on BBc world, using statistics and indices of developed world to judge dat of the developing world could be highly deceptive and may likely not corrobrate what u have in reality in those countries.

INteresting!! So, in the context of the discussion at hand, what does that mean?

Charlesmud:

People, check my posts and you will notice that I said YES Nigeria is not developed BUT it shouldnt be compared to all this countries listed.

Yes maybe SA is doing fine and YES Ghana has a good political system But so ?

As for the separation thing, I see the problem Nigeria have to be beyong political so I assume since we citizens are too educated and smart to do something actively positive then we should just separate which will bring peace and everbody will face his resources and know how to manage it.

Do you guys knows how Italy is today ? still cant it ve ever said its not developed being the fact there are so many better countries in Europe thats better than Italy. We should consider enough thing before make a conclusion.

Yes this countries seems balance, yes they have a kinda stable economy, but do you all know Nigeria is the largest invester in Africa ?, recently about 2 African countries asked for some financial assistance from Nigeria cus of this economy crisis.

Our problems is not having a good leaders and that have created alot tribal and political problems.

So? What has that to do with the original question that was asked? @Charlesmud
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Eziachi: 2:22pm On Feb 02, 2009
Charlesmud:

I am not saying Nigeria is the best and YES Nigeria is in a terrible situation and shape.

But which one be botswana wey better in human and infrastructural development, comparing what population to what population ? Abeg why UK or USA no go dey ?

Yes Ghana is good and the leadership is just our majoy problem in Nigeria.

Yes Nigeria is not developed and its average citizens are not living in good conditions but still cant be compared with this countries you listed. Forget what you hear on radio or see on TV.

Nigerians are very more social and civilized than this countries and thats the reasons we believes its better to travel abroad to get something better. Mind you majority of the citizens of this countries cant even afford a return ticket.

If you don't know the present state of Botswana or haven't visited the country why opening you big gob asking which one be Botswana? Apart from South African, based on what I had seen first hand Botswana is now the most developed African nation and still doing well. Their democracy is as good as any in the world, their corruption index is as low as that of the the scandanavian nations. Botswana discovered Diamond in the late 80s and judiciously make good use of the income from it.
As we speak, Botswana makes over 20 billion dollars in tourism alone annually, they have free medical care, free education at all level, uninterupted electric supply, their national railway is 21st century equiped and a metro service is near completion for Gabarone city (their capital), borehole is a foreign word to them and all these despite the fact that they are a landlocked nation with no access to the coast.

They have completely tranformed their country within a space of ten years without telling themselves that Rome wasn't build in a day, a usual Nigerian phrase used in excusing their incompetence and lack of vision. Being patriotic doesn't mean being stupid and blind. Nigerians often hype themselves, calling themselve the big brother no African nation give a monkey about. Despite billion from oil. No single thing will anyone point out to be working in Nigeria when Nigeria are fighting with the like of Chad in term of poverty and infrastrutures.

Many Nigerians even the educated still thinks that an ambulance is for carrying dead corpes from the mortuary to the home town on hot friday afternoon, because in 2009, their are still no emergency services in Nigeria in the whole the 36 states and Abuja.
No Nigerian airport as we speak has a modern scanning system and still uses bare hand to search peoples luggages and often dispalying personal items to the view of the world in the process which can be totally embarrassing.
At Enugu airport in 2009, the flight schedules are written with white chalk on a blackboard.

I was in Tunisia in 1994 during the African cup of nations and was amazed to see that the streets of Tunis are not only sweeped but are washed every  night as I looked out from my hotel everynight for that two week duration, while even in Abuja, Nigeria is swimming in refuse dumps and leprosy infected beggars.
Wake up people, wake up!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by asha80(m): 2:30pm On Feb 02, 2009
If you don't know the present state of Botswana or haven't visited the country why opening you [b]big gob asking which one be Botswana? Apart from South African, based on what I had seen first hand Botswana is now the most developed African nation and still doing well. Their democracy is as good as any in the world, their corruption index is as low as that of the the scandanavian nations. Botswana discovered Diamond in the late 80s and judiciously make good use of the income from it.
As we speak, Botswana makes over 20 billion dollars in tourism alone annually, they have free medical care, free education at all level, uninterupted electric supply, their national railway is 21st century equiped and a metro service is near completion for Gabarone city (their capital), borehole is a foreign word to them and all these despite the fact that they are a landlocked nation with no access to the coast[/b].

They have completely tranformed their country within a space of ten years without telling themselves that Rome wasn't build in a day, a usual Nigerian phrase used in excusing their incompetence and lack of vision. Being patriotic doesn't mean being stupid and blind. Nigerians often hype themselves, calling themselve the big brother no African nation give a monkey about. Despite billion from oil. No single thing will anyone point out to be working in Nigeria when Nigeria are fighting with the like of Chad in term of poverty and infrastrutures.
Many Nigerians even the educated still thinks that an ambulance is for carrying dead corpes from the mortuary to the home town on hot friday afternoon, because in 2009, their are still no emergency services in Nigeria in the whole the 36 states and Abuja.
No Nigerian airport as we speak has a modern scanning system and still uses bare hand to search peoples luggages and often dispalying personal items to the view of the world in the process which can be totally embarrassing.
At Enugu airport in 2009, the flight schedules are written with white chalk on a blackboard

I was in Tunisia in 1994 during the African cup of nations and was amazed to see that the streets of Tunis are not only sweeped but are washed every night as I looked out from my hotel everynight for that two week duration, while even in Abuja, Nigeria is swimming in refuse dumps and leprosy infected beggars.

Correct yarns  shocked  grin  embarassed  cry
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Eziachi: 2:32pm On Feb 02, 2009
Charlesmud:

BOSS we know all this countries and luxemburg be the first while equitoral guinea be the second richest countries in the world and mind you these second is in Africa , so what do we get from it ? if not Nigeria still assisting them.

All this list na the list of countries the Europeans dey control and in the meantime giving them names, poor them !!!

JustGood thanks for the correction so why didnt you anwser my question atleast you could correct my English.

Make you go sidown if you know get proves or stronge reasons to backup your words except for the fact of what they told you on TV.

Your sentiment exactly show what I am talking about Nigerians big and hype attitude about themselves. When you kept giving nations like Equuitorial Guinea money when they had better road, water supply and constant power, what does that make you? a complete slowpoke! What do you expect these nations to do if you give them money? say, no thanks?
Only three years ago, OBJ gave Ghana a hefty cheque to the amazement of the Ghananians. Did they say no? of course not.
Indices for this debate is just the provision of basic (yes basic!!!!!!!!!) infrastructures and Nigeria can't hack it.
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by grafikdon: 2:40pm On Feb 02, 2009
Eziachi:

If you don't know the present state of Botswana or haven't visited the country why opening you big gob asking which one be Botswana? Apart from South African, based on what I had seen first hand Botswana is now the most developed African nation and still doing well. Their democracy is as good as any in the world, their corruption index is as low as that of the the scandanavian nations. Botswana discovered Diamond in the late 80s and judiciously make good use of the income from it.
As we speak, Botswana makes over 20 billion dollars in tourism alone annually, they have free medical care, free education at all level, uninterupted electric supply, their national railway is 21st century equiped and a metro service is near completion for Gabarone city (their capital), borehole is a foreign word to them and all these despite the fact that they are a landlocked nation with no access to the coast.

At Enugu airport in 2009, the flight schedules are written with white chalk on a blackboard.

I was in Tunisia in 1994 during the African cup of nations and was amazed to see that the streets of Tunis are not only sweeped but are washed every  night as I looked out from my hotel everynight for that two week duration, while even in Abuja, Nigeria is swimming in refuse dumps and leprosy infected beggars.

This is so true it hurts. . . shocked shocked cry cry cry
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JJYOU: 2:48pm On Feb 02, 2009
Eziachi:

Your sentiment exactly show what I am talking about Nigerians big and hype attitude about themselves. When you kept giving nations like Equuitorial Guinea money when they had better road, water supply and constant power, what does that make you? a complete slowpoke! What do you expect these nations to do if you give them money? say, no thanks?
Only three years ago, OBJ gave Ghana a hefty cheque to the amazement of the Ghananians. Did they say no? of course not.
Indices for this debate is just the provision of basic (yes basic!!!!!!!!!) infrastructures and Nigeria can't soil it.
if this is true it is very funny. OBJ surely has some foolishness in his brains.

nigeria is a failed state and a joke. as we speak OBJ is working out how to bring another president maybe nigerian deserves this evil. this is not funny
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar last Thursday tried explaining why he chose to make up with former president Olusegun Obasanjo.

As sensible as his explanation was, that at 62, and with more years behind him than the years ahead of him he needed to “discard vindictive tendencies so as to leave a good example for our children and posterity”, I, like most Nigerians, find it hard to believe his sincerity. Isn’t this the same VP Atiku Abubakar that fought the former president with all vindictiveness even though he made out then that the fight was based on principles? So what principle is he projecting this time around?

That in politics there are only permanent interests and no permanent enemies or friends? And when he talks of national interest, I wonder what national interest this reconciliation would engender given that both of them had ample opportunities thrown on their laps to rebuild, reshape and reengineer the nation, especially with the vast resources then at their disposal as the Nos. 1 and 2 at the helm of affairs?

When Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun State branded the meeting at which the reconciliation was effected as “a dance of the witches”, he did not realise that though a witty statement, he had inadvertently foretold what the reconciliation portended for the nation – nothing good. Witches and wizards portend evil, so do their covens where they meet (forget the nonsense about white or good witches), and if the architect of the reconciliation could tag it a dance of the witches, then we should take the whole thing for what it is - evil.

I empathise with people like Ms Temi Harriman (former member of the House of Representatives and Action Congress candidate in the Delta South 2007 senatorial contest) who staked their all for a leader who could easily dump his followers for a pot of porridge; I hope she is out of shock now and is resolved to keep her eyes peeled to ensure she does not back a wrong horse next time; for this Atiku of a leader surely is a very wrong horse!

Now, do witches forgive and reconcile? No, they do not forgive, but they may reconcile in order to effectively devour a common enemy – in this case Nigeria and Nigerians. Perhaps there is something these two members of a common coven forgot at Aso Rock that they so desperately want to retrieve? Some unfinished business perhaps, that only their coming together again could give them easy access to?

But having said all these, I pity the man. It is not easy to go crawling on all fours to a sworn enemy in the full glare of the whole world especially in the full consciousness of the damage that such a re-marriage could do to one’s political profile. But then sometimes, you may need to call a cow “big brother” just so you could have access to its beef…Abi no be so?

FROM MY MAILBOX

Re- Is it possible to have rancour-free inauguration?

One day we shall get to where America is! Without mincing words there is no atom of spirit of service in our leaders but that of selfishness, embezzlement, corruption, tribalism, conspiracy, religious sentiments etc. With all these, we can’t get to where America is.
Lekan Oladeji, Ilora. 08053049443

These tales from other lands are signs that truly, ‘communal stubbornness’ can determine the difference between our ‘here’ and their ‘there’. A people whose overriding concern is to loot will view the act of governance through a do-or-die spectrum rather than see it as a matrix for development. How many of our past heads-of-state/presidents, after leaving office, applied for a mortgage to build a roof like Clinton did? If truly, morning shows the day, then BARACK’S un-regimented inauguration connoted a very symbolic and portentous omen.
Dayo Oladeji, Saki, Oke Ogun. 08027278748

Don’t be sad at all because every non-American who saw what happened on the inauguration day would wish the same were happening in his country but America did not get to where she is today in one day. As a nation Nigeria must keep working and keep taking steps one at a time and we shall surely get to the land of promise. We as a people can and will achieve our dreams if we don’t give up on ourselves and nation. Jide, Kaduna. 08072287169

Note that no politician in your country knows the words of our national anthem, let alone sing it on a national television and mean every word they utter: How do you expect them to do what they consider as not their bounding-duty? When they are quite sure of the excess-crude-oil fund to scramble for, and share. When their unfailing jumbo allowance(s) are ready for them to grab, and grab, with a modicum of effort! According to you, one day, we shall get to where America is? You are wrong. Our political class damned with diabolical and such selfish ambition, cannot lead us anywhere near the promised-land. Don’t you think yours is a bastardised country? Is that not just the gospel truth?
Ambassador Benson Umoh. Abeokuta. 08028010021

Is it possible to have rancour free inauguration here? Thank you for asking. The answer is No. Why? The so-called democratic system is monopolised by the bourgeoisie and has simply become an instrument for oppressing the people. Simply put, the system is based on self interest, not public interest. Why? Nigeria is not yet a nation. It is a trading post of Europe.
Amos Ejimonye, Kaduna. 08039727512
http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/01022009/front_row.html
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 02, 2009
1- South Africa ( thanks to the white people)
2- Algeria
3- Tunisia
4-Kenya
5-Egypt

Nairobi shocked
Re: What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent by JustGood(m): 6:22pm On Feb 02, 2009
is that a pic of broad street? tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breaking News - Another Explosion In Kaduna Today / Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.