Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate (10098 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Meets With South-East Senators & Ex Governors (Photos) / List Of 31 Ex-Governors That Will Face Corruption Charges / Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by lalasticlala(m): 9:55am On Apr 27, 2015
A group, under the aegis of Friends in the Gap Advocacy Initiative, has expressed concern over the growing number of former state chief executives, who retire to the Senate after their tenure as governors.

Executive Director of the group, Mr. George Oji, who stated this in a statement in Abuja, on Sunday, said the trend, if not immediately halted, would lead to the complete hijack of the upper chamber by the ex-governors.

Oji noted that the numbers of ex-governors rose from six in 2007 to 11 in 2011 while the recently concluded National Assembly poll had shot the figure to 16.

The ex-governors, who would be inaugurated in the 8th Senate on June 4, according to Oji, include Theodore Orji (Abia); Godswill Akpabio (Akwa Ibom); Sam Egwu (Ebonyi State); Jonah Jang (Plateau State); Adamu Aliero (Bauchi State); Isiaka Adeleke (Osun State) and Aliyu Wamako (Sokoto State).

Others are Joshua Dariye (Plateau State); Kabiru Gaya (Kano State); Abba Bukar Ibrahim (Yobe State); Danjuma Goje (Gombe State); Abdullahi Adamu (Nasarawa State); Ahmed Sani (Zamfara State); Bukola Saraki (Kwara State); George Akume (Benue State) and Shaaba Lafiagi (Kwara State).

Oji noted that experience had shown that “once in the Senate, instead of settling down to serious legislative work, the ex-governors busy themselves from day one with the politics of the leadership of the institution.”

He said, “We are concerned that most of these former governors retire to the senate as a resting place as well as to continue to seek political relevance.

“We are also concerned that the invasion of the senate by these ex-governors has led to the loss of quality representation in the red chambers as the incoming governors have had to retire some of the very experienced and articulate lawmakers in order to attain their individual political ambitions.

“It is our further concern that rather than provide quality legislation in the senate, the former governors see the red chamber as a platform to play all manners of ethnic and regional politics.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/invasion-of-senate-by-ex-governors-worries-group/

6 Likes

Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 27, 2015
d heading of dis thread alone is confusing especially d influx..if i tell you say i know d meaning mk thunder fire me.....am so confused

Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by KingTom(m): 9:58am On Apr 27, 2015
I am only worried about the fact that my Abia brothers let a rogue like T.A. Orji into their Senate? My God, that man's name can be substituted for failure.

"PDP orji Nigerians for 16 years"

"APC orji to win Rivers State"

MILITARY ZONE!

NO PARKING!
NO STANDING!
NO SHIFTING!
NO LOITERING!

KEEP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Nobody: 9:59am On Apr 27, 2015
Hmmmm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by siegfried99(m): 10:00am On Apr 27, 2015
Fp b4 I comment grin
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Mogidi: 10:00am On Apr 27, 2015
The national Assembly budget for 2015 is N120bn, enough to pay the salaries of 555,555 people at N18,000 per month.

This was why Tinubu installed Remi Tinubu in Senate, if Remi can't be made Lagos state governor, Remi can be made a NASS member, another Tinubu son inlaw is in the HOR.

Buhari should start his corruption drive from NASS.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by LEvuls(m): 10:01am On Apr 27, 2015
Can't pinpoint a law maker on the list

all I see is names of greedy thieves who has taken Nigeria as their private business, but one day there shall be no hiding place for them, even those seats will be their hunting ground .

8 Likes

Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by miqos02(m): 10:02am On Apr 27, 2015
watching
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by frodobee: 10:03am On Apr 27, 2015
It is part of change. The governors are changing.
How will you like PEJ to be a member of the senate? Ditto Remi.
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by PedroJP(m): 10:04am On Apr 27, 2015
Looting continues. Abi to make wealth get limit, whether from right or wrong source ?
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 27, 2015
Nawa o....
Tot D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥y say W̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥'re d leaders of 2morw....
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by nollyway(m): 10:14am On Apr 27, 2015
we are d LEADER OF TOMMORO!! cry cry
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by 1stola: 10:14am On Apr 27, 2015
It is a very bad politrick sad
After governing a whole state, they now just go and represent one constituency ...
They are just selfish thieves.
It is supposed to be stopped
Imagine that rogue David Mark ruling since 1983 after being a governor and there is nothing to show for it.
Even the road leading to his house in Benue state is in a bad shape
All I am just happy with now is that he is just ORDINARY floor member tongue

4 Likes

Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by jamex93(m): 10:17am On Apr 27, 2015
mtchewwwwwwwww
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by ednut1(m): 10:18am On Apr 27, 2015
served in Abia state, i can categorically tell u he is the most useless gov ever, with dat his oppressive son, yet he made it the senate, angry

2 Likes

Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by joystickextendr: 10:18am On Apr 27, 2015
And the looting continues embarassed May God help us

Meanwhile are u having problems with your joystick size or having premature ejac?? Check my profile/signature
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Hammefeez: 10:18am On Apr 27, 2015
Na dem get money to buy ticket Naaa
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Rexphobia(m): 10:20am On Apr 27, 2015
Political jobbers...They want to always remain in the corridors of power.
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Flye: 10:20am On Apr 27, 2015
We are all the tired of that, I don't even mind former governor like Akpabio, Akume and Kwakwaso they deserve it because they seems to have have interest of people at hand but Orji, suswam, jang and co should be discouraged.
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Blurry: 10:20am On Apr 27, 2015
na today?
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 10:21am On Apr 27, 2015
Those mostly greedy jobbers
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by sniper1305(m): 10:21am On Apr 27, 2015
Lawaoh
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by iluvweed(m): 10:22am On Apr 27, 2015
Power Drunks!!!...I dont blame them, since dangote and otedola are also still striving to get richer......... undecided
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Kaywhy1(m): 10:23am On Apr 27, 2015
greedy polithiefans, awon ole
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Impulse80(m): 10:23am On Apr 27, 2015
commentus
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by njuwo(m): 10:24am On Apr 27, 2015
lalasticlala:

http://www.punchng.com/news/invasion-of-senate-by-ex-governors-worries-group/
Na once you go just know say this thing na copy and paste. As i quote am, only link i fit quote.
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Ariyke: 10:24am On Apr 27, 2015
There should be a law disqualifying ex governors from entering senate
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 27, 2015
I disagree.
Re: Group Worried About The Influx Of Ex-Governors Into Senate by dubemivan(m): 10:26am On Apr 27, 2015
Naija which way God is watching them!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Orji Kalu: Perpetrators Of Violence In South East Must Have A Rethink / Kwankaso's Legacy As Former Governor Of Kano / Boko Haram Opens Up, Names Their Suicide Bomber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.