Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,267 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:34 AM

Nigeria's Internet Future - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Internet Future (1663 Views)

Nigeria's Internet Warriors (BBC Article) / In Nigeria, Internet Commerce Is On The Rise - Wall Street Journal [dealdey] / Legal By Mtn Nigeria Internet Connection With Your Phone To Your Pc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Internet Future by mustafar1: 2:36am On Feb 03, 2009
posted by Solomosydelle, feb 2nd 2009 on www.nigeriancuriosity.com

The international submarine communication cable has finally docked in Lagos, Nigeria. Built by Alcatel but financed by Globacom, a leading telecommunications service provider in Nigeria, the cable spans 9200km, came from Portugal and passes through 15 countries to reach Nigeria's financial and commercial capital. Once launched, it will increase the quality and number of internet services for Globacom's customers. Already, a Nigerian company owned by billionaire Dangote, Alheri, is putting up fibre optic cable lines all over the country to provide the faster internet capabilities to homes and offices. It seems that Nigeria's internet future is at the doorstep.

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR NIGERIA
As of March 2008, only 7.2% (10 million) of Nigerians used the internet. This number will explode once the underwater cable is fully launched and once it is extended to Bonny. The cable will allow for faster and cheaper internet access. That will, in turn, make access to the world wide web easier for information hungry Nigerians who already use the internet as a means of escaping their daily lives, communicating with friends and family, and learning about the world around them. By implication, information, which is a highly guarded tool, the dissemination of which has led to journalist and bloggers being arrested, would become more easily available as Nigerians demand and provide information on the issues of import to them.

The possibilities that await in Nigeria's future are endless. Consider the India example. The arrival of the underwater cable to India was arguably a crucial factor in transforming India into a leader in the outsourced services market. That reality brought not just jobs to the country, but investment, and accelerated the country's IT field. Now, Nigeria might not necessarily experience a growth in its IT sector or become a leader in the outsourced services market, but the underwater cable could provide a better outlet for indigenous industries such as Nollywood and the thriving Nigerian music scene. There would also bring more competition for local producers, forcing them to improve their products, which would be hard to deal with, but in a capitalist society, efficiency is crucial and the consumer will benefit.

Ultimately, it will be up to Nigerians to take advantage of this advancement in internet capacity. The possibilities are endless.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 4:45am On Feb 03, 2009
Saw a report on CNN the other day that Satellite Internet is coming to Africa, come 2010. Basically, a group out to get internet to the very remote places of Africa for cheap. Let's see which gets there first. Something I look forward to taking advantage of.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by mustafar1: 3:03pm On Feb 03, 2009
maibe the CCTV project would benefit.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by lucabrasi(m): 4:00pm On Feb 03, 2009
cctv is just a minuscule part of the i.t revolution in nigeria,i think the it human resources is actually where the big boom will happen in nigeria with that development, and tele sales as a very viable by product which will provide employment and skills to millions of nigerian youths, india has had their turn and its ours now, especially as we are not only the most populous but our english is clearer than that of the indians and most other nations where these tele sales skills have been outsourced,the yahoo boys will also be gainfully employed as software testers and develop the yahoo skills in a positive way
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 4:03pm On Feb 03, 2009
The way I see it, having public CCTV program without this makes no sense financially. I mean it will cost so much that it would make no sense. Same with the free internet for all projects in some state in the East without this handled.

I am assuming that the government has been expecting this for some time and this could likely be reason why CISCO is getting involved. I mean networking with no wired cables in place to help in transferring data from one end to the other; I was wondering how much CISCO was willing to invest in such in a plan and what it was going to get out of it at the end of the day.

With the state of IT in Nigeria, I believe we have a long way to go but we will definitely see a huge influx of skills from outside when this finally happens. Countries like Kenya, Ghana and so many others already took care of most of this, that is why they have been able to import some jobs in the service sector to help boost their economy, and I think if this finally happens in Nigeria, Nigerian talents from around the world, will run in to take advantage of it.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Seun(m): 4:26pm On Feb 03, 2009
What the ___ does CCTV have to do with the international submarine communication cable??
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by lucabrasi(m): 4:34pm On Feb 03, 2009
;d ;d
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by mustafar1: 4:37pm On Feb 03, 2009
seun, it would help the transmission of the feed to the command center, a lot more real time. is that simple enough or do we need to draft our communication/IT gurus to this thread?
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 4:39pm On Feb 03, 2009
must_a_far:

seun, it would help the transmission of the feed to the command center, a lot more real time. is that simple enough or do we need to draft our communication/IT gurus to this thread?

Precisely, You have seen those Traffic lights with cables all over the place, right? and then you have seen those with just one or two cables running to the pole and done. Well, having a network in Nigeria makes life easier, faster, and ultimately CHEAPER for all involved. We have been relying on expensive satellite connections, and running a public CCTV program, such as what you have in London, on that makes absolutely no sense, considering the cost. But once we plug into the global grid, we will see costs fall, and internet spread even to remote areas. This will have great impact on communication.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by mustafar1: 4:46pm On Feb 03, 2009
this here, when finally completed is what we would consider as improvement and not xmas light on flipping ikorodu road.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Feb 03, 2009
This was what Abiola and his gang were supposed to have worked on back in the 70’s/80’s. I do hope this time it becomes a reality and does not get caught up in the usual Nigerian-ness of things down there. Worse, I hope Yar adua does not come up to claim this as his victory for the people. Lol
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by mustafar1: 4:59pm On Feb 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

This was what Abiola and his gang were supposed to have worked on back in the 70’s/80’s. I do hope this time it becomes a reality and does not get caught up in the usual Nigerian-ness of things down there. Worse, I hope Yar adua does not come up to claim this as his victory for the people. Lol

hopefully the ITT ghost wont hunt this one down. i could see its advantages already. no more, "hello se ooun gbo mi, se ooun gbo mi" whenever i call naija. grin

if he claims it has his victory, we would remind him that its a fluke, cos it wasnt part of his 7 point rhetoric(or was it?) whichever way he'll still not get the long end of the stick.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kenezi: 10:42pm On Feb 03, 2009
Will this be run on an electric generator?
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 10:44pm On Feb 03, 2009
must_a_far:

hopefully the ITT ghost wont hunt this one down. i could see its advantages already. no more, "hello se ooun gbo mi, se ooun gbo mi" whenever i call naija. grin

if he claims it has his victory, we would remind him that its a fluke, cos it wasnt part of his 7 point rhetoric(or was it?) whichever way he'll still not get the long end of the stick.

Roflmao!!!
I have not called that country for the past couple of months simply because of that. I can not stand it. It's even funnier when friends at home boast of how clearer there reception is. I am like " How can it be clear when I can hardly hear a thing from my end?" roflmao!!!

siddon wait now. if this happens this year, next election, someone go come out say na im do am! Lol

Kenezi:

Will this be run on an electric generator?

wink grin cheesy grin cheesy grin  wink You silly twit!!! ROFLMAO!!! You just could not handle me being happy that highspeed cable will soon be available in Nigeria. You just had to burst my dream bubble with that fact, didn't you?? ROFLMAO!!  grin cheesy grin cheesy wink wink
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 12:51pm On Feb 04, 2009
If this news is true, why are we still looking to spend Naira 500 Billion on another Satellite? How many Satellites does the country need and for what?
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by BOSS6: 12:57pm On Feb 04, 2009
As usual - very ignorant rantings. Someone says she hasnt called Nigeria in a long time and yet she thinks she knows how good the telephony system is, what a poor soul.

With the state of IT in Nigeria, I believe we have a long way to go but we will definitely see a huge influx of skills from outside when this finally happens. Countries like Kenya, Ghana and so many others already took care of most of this, that is why they have been able to import some jobs in the service sector to help boost their economy, and I think if this finally happens in Nigeria, Nigerian talents from around the world, will run in to take advantage of it.

Who wants them international Nigerians to come home to take advantage of this project, see hypocrisy at work o, as if they are the only capable hands needed to work on whatever the project brings, hypocrites.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 1:12pm On Feb 04, 2009
.B.O.S.S.:

As usual - very ignorant rantings. Someone says she hasnt called Nigeria in a long time and yet she thinks she knows how good the telephony system is, what a poor soul.

Who wants them international Nigerians to come home to take advantage of this project, see hypocrisy at work o, as if they are the only capable hands needed to work on whatever the project brings, hypocrites.

I wait for the day your posts make sense! Till then, ask your God for help!
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by BOSS6: 1:38pm On Feb 04, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I wait for the day your posts make sense! Till then, ask your God for help!

HONESTLY, YOU JUST SPOKE MY MIND ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR OTHER IDs
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 1:42pm On Feb 04, 2009
.B.O.S.S.:

HONESTLY, YOU JUST SPOKE MY MIND ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR OTHER IDs

I seriously doubt your mind can come up with that. That you go from thread to thread just to attack my person, and others who do not agree with you, impersonate folks on different sites so you can claim a brownie point or two in your post, already tells me all I need to know about how your mind works.
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by BOSS6: 2:15pm On Feb 04, 2009
attacking your person? that will be a waste of time doing that, dont u get it?
Re: Nigeria's Internet Future by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Feb 05, 2009
. . . . and he continues to prove me right! roflmao!!

(1) (Reply)

Dearest Best Moderator / Grassroots Sports Development – Adopt-a-talent. / Bleaching Association Of Nigeria Calling!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.