Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

$20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt (30194 Views)

Abdullah Dikko, Ex-Comptroller-General of Customs Flees Nigeria- Sahara Reporter / Investor Flees Nigeria After Being Paid N32b For Vessels - Amaechi / Asari Dokubo's Wife Reacts To Buhari's Planned Probe Of Missing $20bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

$20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Nobody: 3:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
The Publisher of Africa Oil and Gas Report, a magazine focusing on the petroleum sector, Toyin Akinosho, has fled Nigeria, following threats to his life, supposedly on account of scathing revelations about the corruption in the industry published by his magazine.

Mr. Akinosho fled the country and went into hiding following the March 20 multiple attacks on his car and driver by unknown men who kept asking for the publisher’s whereabouts.

Mr. Akinosho, a trained geologist and one of Nigeria’s most respected oil and gas journalists, started the magazine after working for several years in Chevron “with a view to enabling the general public and industry watchers get a clearer view and understanding of the practice in the oil and gas industry”.

The journalist now believe the hard-hitting reporting of his magazine has now made him prime targets of deadly attacks.

On March 20, five suspected assassins waylaid Mr. Akinosho’s driver while driving his boss’ car in the Ikoyi area of Lagos.

Mr. Akinosho had flown to Abuja earlier that evening, PREMIUM TIMES learnt.

“As I came out from our street to enter the main road, I saw a white Hilux (mini truck) following me,” Yinusa, Mr. Akinosho’s driver, said. “I wanted to branch into another road but because they were still following me, I decided to go straight. But they still followed me. At 41 Road, there is a junction that you can branch from, to Ikoyi or to the (exit) gate.

“It was at that spot that they blocked me with their car and stopped me. They came down and were asking me ‘Where is Toyin Akinosho?’ and I told them that I don’t know who Toyin Akinosho is; that I have never heard that name in my life before. I also told them that (the) publisher’s car is my personal car and that the name Toyin Akinosho does not ring a bell. It was at that point that they returned into their vehicle and drove off.”

He continued, “They entered their car and I kept moving because I thought it would be unwise for me to go back home right away. As they moved, they were moving slowly and then later turned to the roundabout that leads to Ikoyi; but I went straight to gate. But as I looked into my side mirror, I saw that they were still following me and I thought to myself that if I went home, they might still trace me to the house to know where we were staying. So, I went straight and bent towards Four Points (By Sheraton Lagos hotel) area. The car has an e-tag (pre-paid toll identification) so I just passed the toll gate but it was like they paid and were delayed a bit. But the traffic light stopped me; it wasn’t up to one minute that I was at the traffic light that I saw that they were coming but then, the light passed me so I drove off. I passed in front of Four Points and followed Ajose Adeogun Street. On that street, there is a club that Oga goes to. It was there that they caught up with me and rammed my car by the side and I ran into a culvert and the bumper was damaged.”

What happened next?

“Then, one of them came out of the car and slapped me on my face and said, ‘We are asking you for the last time, where is Toyin Akinosho?’ I told him that I don’t know the person who bears that name. On hearing that, another one said to me: ‘I can waste you o’ but I told him that if he wanted to kill me, he should do so, but I insisted I neither knew Akinosho nor ever heard of his name. Then they left me there and entered their vehicle and left. People that were around there started coming out to assist me drag the car off the culvert.”

Mr. Yinusa, who decided to sleep in the car, apparently to prevent being traced to his boss’ house, after he had encountered the suspected assassins for the second time on Ajose Adeogun Street, added:

“As I was sleeping in the car, around 2am, they came to meet me and used the edge (barrel) of a gun to wake me up. They then collected my phone
and the N7,000 that I had on me and left saying that since I did not want to say the truth, they would go with those.”

The driver added, “It was like they went to check the (Contacts on my phone) whether they would see Oga’s name on my phone but I saved Oga’s number with the name ‘MAE’”

Asked what ‘MAE’ means, Yinusa said “Nothing,” adding, “I just saved it as such because to spell his name, Toyin Akinosho Alfred, is difficult for me.”

The suspected assassins returned around 5a.m. to return Mumuni’s phone.

Following the incident, Mr. Akinosho reported the case at a police station on Lagos Island before fleeing Nigeria, following the advise of friends, associates and family members.

A copy of his petition was also sent to the Inspector General of Police in Abuja as well as the headquarters of the State Security Service.

After spending weeks in hiding, the publisher now wishes to return home safely, his solicitors, Omisore and Co., said in the petition to the Director-General of the SSS, Ita Ekpeyong.

As a result of the incident “our client.for fear of his safety (Toyin Akinosho) ) has not returned to his home as there is likelihood the armed individuals may come back for him to finish whatever terrible act they intended to carry out the day they met and assaulted Mr. Yinusa (his driver),” the solicitors wrote in the petition.

For the weeks that he has been away, the lawyers said, Mr. Akinosho’s business had severely suffered. He therefore sought security protection and the guarantee of his constitutional right to life.

“It goes without saying that assassinations have become rampant and these series of events have necessitated writing of this petition on behalf of our client in order to forestall further criminal actions by those unknown individuals and to prevent harm from being done to our client’s life,” the petition said.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/182084-nigerian-publisher-toyin-akinosho-flees-nigeria-after-escaping-assassination.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Acekidc4(m): 3:15pm On Apr 27, 2015
Huh!!

Will be Right Back!!

1 Like

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by jascon1(m): 3:20pm On Apr 27, 2015
oga run for Ur life o. Run to a place like Cuba. But carry the main documents oh. No run empty handed o

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by 9jatriot(m): 3:22pm On Apr 27, 2015
This woman again

Y Always you.

Jail term of 400yrs when you need one.

Chai, drais god oooooooooo

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
. . . . . . . .even if all GEJ cronies are left off the hook, the woman called Diezani will definitely see prison time . . . . . . .her own is too much

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by OkaiCorne(m): 3:28pm On Apr 27, 2015
Very Important!!!
Please Mods do the needful.
Cc: Lalasticlala

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by wachakuta(m): 3:37pm On Apr 27, 2015
gbege

1 Like

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 27, 2015
The Publisher of Africa Oil and Gas Report, a magazine focusing on the petroleum sector, Toyin Akinosho, has fled Nigeria, following threats to his life, supposedly on account of scathing revelations about the corruption in the industry published by his magazine.

Mr. Akinosho fled the country and went into hiding following the March 20 multiple attacks on his car and driver by unknown men who kept asking for the publisher’s whereabouts.

Mr. Akinosho, a trained geologist and one of Nigeria’s most respected oil and gas journalists, started the magazine after working for several years in Chevron “with a view to enabling the general public and industry watchers get a clearer view and understanding of the practice in the oil and gas industry”.

The journalist now believe the hard-hitting reporting of his magazine has now made him prime targets of deadly attacks.

On March 20, five suspected assassins waylaid Mr. Akinosho’s driver while driving his boss’ car in the Ikoyi area of Lagos.

Mr. Akinosho had flown to Abuja earlier that evening, PREMIUM TIMES learnt.

“As I came out from our street to enter the main road, I saw a white Hilux (mini truck) following me,” Yinusa, Mr. Akinosho’s driver, said. “I wanted to branch into another road but because they were still following me, I decided to go straight. But they still followed me. At 41 Road, there is a junction that you can branch from, to Ikoyi or to the (exit) gate.

“It was at that spot that they blocked me with their car and stopped me. They came down and were asking me ‘Where is Toyin Akinosho?’ and I told them that I don’t know who Toyin Akinosho is; that I have never heard that name in my life before. I also told them that (the) publisher’s car is my personal car and that the name Toyin Akinosho does not ring a bell. It was at that point that they returned into their vehicle and drove off.”

He continued, “They entered their car and I kept moving because I thought it would be unwise for me to go back home right away. As they moved, they were moving slowly and then later turned to the roundabout that leads to Ikoyi; but I went straight to gate. But as I looked into my side mirror, I saw that they were still following me and I thought to myself that if I went home, they might still trace me to the house to know where we were staying. So, I went straight and bent towards Four Points (By Sheraton Lagos hotel) area. The car has an e-tag (pre-paid toll identification) so I just passed the toll gate but it was like they paid and were delayed a bit. But the traffic light stopped me; it wasn’t up to one minute that I was at the traffic light that I saw that they were coming but then, the light passed me so I drove off. I passed in front of Four Points and followed Ajose Adeogun Street. On that street, there is a club that Oga goes to. It was there that they caught up with me and rammed my car by the side and I ran into a culvert and the bumper was damaged.”

What happened next?

“Then, one of them came out of the car and slapped me on my face and said, ‘We are asking you for the last time, where is Toyin Akinosho?’ I told him that I don’t know the person who bears that name. On hearing that, another one said to me: ‘I can waste you o’ but I told him that if he wanted to kill me, he should do so, but I insisted I neither knew Akinosho nor ever heard of his name. Then they left me there and entered their vehicle and left. People that were around there started coming out to assist me drag the car off the culvert.”

Mr. Yinusa, who decided to sleep in the car, apparently to prevent being traced to his boss’ house, after he had encountered the suspected assassins for the second time on Ajose Adeogun Street, added:

“As I was sleeping in the car, around 2am, they came to meet me and used the edge (barrel) of a gun to wake me up. They then collected my phone
and the N7,000 that I had on me and left saying that since I did not want to say the truth, they would go with those.”

The driver added, “It was like they went to check the (Contacts on my phone) whether they would see Oga’s name on my phone but I saved Oga’s number with the name ‘MAE’”

Asked what ‘MAE’ means, Yinusa said “Nothing,” adding, “I just saved it as such because to spell his name, Toyin Akinosho Alfred, is difficult for me.”

The suspected assassins returned around 5a.m. to return Mumuni’s phone.

Following the incident, Mr. Akinosho reported the case at a police station on Lagos Island before fleeing Nigeria, following the advise of friends, associates and family members.

A copy of his petition was also sent to the Inspector General of Police in Abuja as well as the headquarters of the State Security Service.

After spending weeks in hiding, the publisher now wishes to return home safely, his solicitors, Omisore and Co., said in the petition to the Director-General of the SSS, Ita Ekpeyong.

As a result of the incident “our client.for fear of his safety (Toyin Akinosho) ) has not returned to his home as there is likelihood the armed individuals may come back for him to finish whatever terrible act they intended to carry out the day they met and assaulted Mr. Yinusa (his driver),” the solicitors wrote in the petition.

For the weeks that he has been away, the lawyers said, Mr. Akinosho’s business had severely suffered. He therefore sought security protection and the guarantee of his constitutional right to life.

“It goes without saying that assassinations have become rampant and these series of events have necessitated writing of this petition on behalf of our client in order to forestall further criminal actions by those unknown individuals and to prevent harm from being done to our client’s life,” the petition said.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/182084-nigerian-publisher-toyin-akinosho-flees-nigeria-after-escaping-assassination.html
Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by sammyj: 4:41pm On Apr 27, 2015
Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Sweetguy25: 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
No comment.
Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Wsdm: 5:01pm On Apr 27, 2015
... And people continue to follow shadow on the reason GEJ was voted out. This is his regime wher he has the opportunity to cover all these mess and yet my ears are itching me on the revelation allready in the media. I wonder what we are going to see when the next regime decides to open the main book.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by jojomario(m): 5:27pm On Apr 27, 2015
I can't just imagine another four years under GEJ's watch. This woman and Jonathan are birds of feathers.

24 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by bettercreature(m): 5:41pm On Apr 27, 2015
It would have been a disaster if GEJ won the election

23 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
Don't worry, u can come back on June 1st. Buhari will see to it that you are safe

7 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by baybeeboi: 6:35pm On Apr 27, 2015
I hope this is not another form of Ekiti Gate.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by atlwireles: 6:43pm On Apr 27, 2015
Nigerians and their unending lies. grin grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:46pm On Apr 27, 2015
I honestly don't know what to type

GMB,please save Nigeria from Dieziani Allison Madueke.

24 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Abduljohn(m): 7:01pm On Apr 27, 2015
I wonder much more revelations that might still come up, bt dis woman id more than a thief she truly ruined GEJ.

10 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by gsparks01(m): 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
this 20bn ehn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by ichidodo: 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
Flee?? Like from Pan to fire?....Wherever he fled to cannot be safe because whoever he pissed off in that Industry should be loaded to put a bounty on his head probably a Hong Kong syndicate,a Yakuza hired gun or the best in the businness, a Mexican Cartel flacca....the safest place ironically woulda been here,ableit with a bodygurad or two for the best part of two years should see him safe and sound...…He could even get himself a gun..jeez.

1 Like

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
It's happening.
ichidodo:
He be shot...
Zip it itchy plantain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by adenine02: 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2015
Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Sanuzi(m): 7:10pm On Apr 27, 2015
Hero 1
Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Lushore1: 7:11pm On Apr 27, 2015
Dieziani Allison Madueke should call his boys to order.....

3 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by holatin(m): 7:11pm On Apr 27, 2015
the guy who released the ekiti scandal tape will be dead by now if not that he ran for his life.

And na dis same GEJ some people call hero.

hero ko, oroko ni

I still maintain my stance, GEJ is d biggest misfortune to happen to Nigeria.

he is incompetent,clueless,corrupt, careless and and

no let me add d last cus I no wan dey. beg gbawe for PROTECTION

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by holyokoto(m): 7:11pm On Apr 27, 2015
My advice for Diezani is to flee Nigeria to unknown region before Buhari assumed his post as the president because this is too obvious. I now start believing that $20B is truly missing. I never imagine such a huge amount of money can miss from national treasure. I converted it to Naira but can't get the equivalent in Naira.

9 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Blurry: 7:11pm On Apr 27, 2015
and the madness continues....

1 Like

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by lollystiver(m): 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2015
don't still get the news can't wait to see sai Baba take over may 29

2 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by efilefun(m): 7:13pm On Apr 27, 2015
naija
Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by AWONEYAN(m): 7:14pm On Apr 27, 2015
U r now safe
Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by Nobody: 7:15pm On Apr 27, 2015

3 Likes

Re: $20bn Oil Money: Editor Who Gave Clues Flees Nigeria After Assasination Attempt by jalaludeen1(m): 7:17pm On Apr 27, 2015
thank God for GEj defeat.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: 4 Methods Corrupt Nigerians Use To Steal Nigeria's Money / Buhari Orders IGP To Re-open Bola Ige, Dokubo’s Cases / Supplementary Election: Ganduje Executes More Emergency Projects, Shares Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.