Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,074 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. (3206 Views)

Eziachi Writes: Buhari V Ait & Press Freedom / Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. / Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by koboko69: 9:18am On Apr 28, 2015
NO PROVISONS IN THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION STOPS BUHARI FROM BARRING AIT

Section 22 of the Nigerian 1999 constitution provides that: “the press, radio, television and other agencies of mass media shall at all times be free to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.”

By virtue of this provision, the constitutional powers and duties or obligation of the press are to help government realize the fundamental objectives and directive principles of state policy as contained in the constitution. The media or the press is also expected to uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.
In other words, the press performs a nation builder role (development journalism) as well as being a watchdog of government actions or activities pertaining to governance, transparency and accountability.

The media being the fourth estate of the realm has got a lot to do in ensuring that good governance is enhanced in the country. Government (politics) and the media are inseparable; both cannot be isolated from each other because they are both institutions of the society. The media has been empowered by the society to represent its interest by checkmating the government of the day. Likewise, the government in power is responsible to the society.

Therefore, in a situation whereby the representatives in government get intoxicated by the virtue of their power, the society expects the media to put them back on the right track because absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Looking at section 22 of the 1999 constitution vividly, “the media are empowered at all time be free to uphold the fundamental principles of governance.” The keywords here are “all times” and “free” i.e. freedom to pursue or seek, gather, analyze and interpret, disseminate information pertaining to the governance of the general populace without prior restraint or constraint by the government or any other interest.

In fact the constitution also affirmed that government responsibility and accountability must be uphold by the media and further reported or disseminated to the general public. However, the accompanying problem to actualize these fundamental goals of journalism enshrined in section 22 is that, there are limitations to access or assessment of government held information.
These limitations arise from government argument that not all government activities should be made public. The government through the Official Secret Code Act and Criminal Code Act limit the extent in which the press or public officer representing the interest of government could divulge or reveal information received in confidence on the excuse that such matter is classified or confidential.

In section 39(1): Every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection(1) of this section, every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information, ideas and opinion.
The freedom of expression, including holding opinions, to receive and impart ideas or information is very fundamental to the development of any society because information is power and when the power is gotten, transformation changes can be achieved by the people. Consequently, the constitution says without prejudice i.e. without discrimination or favouritism every person shall be allowed to own a means of mass communication or information dissemination in the country.

It’s also important to say that the United Nations Universal Declaration on Human Rights Law (1948) in article 19 of the document provides for the fundamental right of expression, holding of opinion and disseminating such opinion; receiving information from others as well as imparting through various ways of communication without interference or restriction.

In the light of the above, Nigeria is a signatory to this declaration because of her formal membership of UN. However, the enforcement and implementation of this declaration is not fully adhered to by the Nigerian government. Instances of this challenge are contained in the same section of the 1999 constitution that affirmed freedom of expression and the press.

Section 39(2) part ‘B’ says “No person other than the government or any other person or body authorized by the president shall be allowed to own, establish or operate television or wireless broadcasting for any purpose whatsoever.
Also section 39(3) (A-B): States that nothing in this section i.e. ‘freedom of expression and the press’, shall invalidate any reasonable law that is justified in any democratic society for the purpose of preventing the disclosure of information that is classified as confidential or official matter. This section further affirmed the restriction of persons in the employment of government services to disclose any information in which they are privilege to.

To this end, freedom of expression and of the press enshrined in section 39 is only workable on the one hand and limited on the other hand due to government restrictions and constrictions through various laws or statutes.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by koboko69: 9:18am On Apr 28, 2015
NO PROVISIONS IN THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION THAT STOPS BUHARI FROM BARRING AIT

On Buhari's ban of AIT; The primary aim of the press is
“the press, radio, television and other agencies of mass media shall at all times be free to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.”

This is what sahara reporters and other media outfits were doing. AIT rather chose to go out of the line to broadcast hate and smear campaign against Buhari, attacking his personal life too which brings in ethics and issues.

Buhari is just the president elect and not yet the President hence he have the right to privacy and the right to barr AIT from his personal functions.

It is constitutional and not DICTATORIAL for Buhari to revoke the license of AIT on assumption of office citing ethics and standards issues as provided in

Section 39(2) part ‘B’ says “No person other than the government or any other person or body authorized by the president shall be allowed to own, establish or operate television or wireless broadcasting for any purpose whatsoever.

Cc lalasticlala seun oam4j

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by ozoigbondu: 9:19am On Apr 28, 2015
l am sure GEJ was well aware of all this but he did not use to supress saharareporters,preminum times,TVC,nations and all other oppoistion press because he is a true democrat who understands that freedom of press is an integral part of af a democracy not one dictactor turned democrat overnight

Buhari should keep calm and prepare for feasting of the press and other social media outfit on him

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by agarawu23(m): 9:21am On Apr 28, 2015
na never know anythinggrin u guys think Buhari is GeJ that's surrounded by dullards. Any action Buhari take is a legal action.

when mosquito dey chop me na know no now I kill mosquito na dey paraundecided

this is a change of Government led by a man of integrity not the one led by our clueless presidio.lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by not4sure(m): 9:21am On Apr 28, 2015
grin All i now is AIT ate their cake and definitely will not have it back. The Man your documentary said was brutal and now you want to covers his activities. IMPOSSIBLE

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 9:24am On Apr 28, 2015
Buhari and APC should get ready for a Nigerian press that has tasted "blood". They ain't seen nothing yet.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by nortcentrallord(m): 9:32am On Apr 28, 2015
What happened to the FOI bill or was it not passed into law or has it been suspended because that is the very 1st move of every military government even though this one has not been sworn into power.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:33am On Apr 28, 2015
janus05:
Buhari and APC should get ready for a Nigerian press that has tasted "blood". They ain't seen nothing yet.
Stop ranting. Why did AIT throw away ethics? Even NTA that is federal-owned didn't attack Buhari like AIT. The probe as to whether or not AIT didn't abide ethics should also swing to the NBC which could have stopped AIT when it just started its character assassination against Buhari. The DG of NBC should be probed.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Scholes007(m): 9:39am On Apr 28, 2015
those defending this old bastard under the pretence of privacy ,should have known that the moment he (the bastard aka buhari) became president elect there is no privacy.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by koboko69: 9:41am On Apr 28, 2015
Scholes007:
those defending this old bastard under the pretence of privacy ,should have known that the moment he (the bastard aka buhari) became president elect there is no privacy.

A bastard will rule over you and your family for the next 4 years. Deal and live with it. If a bastard is rulling over you, I wonder what you are.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by koboko69: 9:43am On Apr 28, 2015
ozoigbondu:
l am sure GEJ was well aware of all this but he did not use to supress saharareporters,preminum times,TVC,nations and all other oppoistion press because he is a true democrat who understands that freedom of press is an integral part of af a democracy not one dictactor turned democrat overnight

Buhari should keep calm and prepare for feasting of the press and other social media outfit on him

Becase they were doing this:

“the press, radio, television and other agencies of mass media shall at all times be free to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people.”

And not AIT's hate documentary
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by alaoeri: 9:45am On Apr 28, 2015
nortcentrallord:
What happened to the FOI bill or was it not passed into law or has it been suspended because that is the very 1st move of every military government even though this one has not been sworn into power.
Does GMB stop AIT from airing any news? Don't cover my events is different from don't air news about me, an ordinary citizen can chose who is & who is not invited to his events talkless of a President.
In order news AIT don chop wetin big pass them & Dokpesi should deal with it after all he has sold the integrity of the station for a plate of porridge.
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Scholes007(m): 9:51am On Apr 28, 2015
koboko69:

A bastard will rule over you and your family for the next 4 years. Deal and live with it. If a bastard is rulling over you, I wonder what you are.
do you mean the illiterate old fool....bustard gworo eater

wow wow i love FOI grin grin
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Alphaoscar: 9:53am On Apr 28, 2015
Buhari killed his wife and injected sickle cell into his daughter who later died because he hated her.- AIT

And you want AIT to be following Buhari anywhere he goes.

AIT never see anything

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 28, 2015
The same old story

Buhari was supported by the press in 1983 when he stole his way into power.

The same press that castigated Shagari's govt as corrupt to which Buhari seized on this and turned him said to a self appointed crusader against corruption.

After granting the SW press and plebs their public witch burning he will then turn on the press with decree 4.

Eagerly waiting for the inevitable fallout between Tinubu and Buhari to see the banning of The Nation!

Una never see anything
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Jesusloveyou: 10:04am On Apr 28, 2015
Watchdog to govt activities,not to be watchdoging d good citizen of nigeria,spoiling their good name and image.
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 28, 2015
alaoeri:

Does GMB stop AIT from airing any news? Don't cover my events is different from don't air news about me, an ordinary citizen can chose who is & who is not invited to his events talkless of a President.
In order news AIT don chop wetin big pass them & Dokpesi should deal with it after all he has sold the integrity of the station for a plate of porridge.
From don't cover my events to don't report on my govt.

This is how the press will be stiffled until the only agency reporting will be Nta and Daily Trust

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 28, 2015
[size=18pt]the question you all need to ask yourselves is why Buhari is already fighting AIT?

If by running a sponsored documentary which was not produced by AIT then we truly have a problem at hand.

During the airing of the documentary, a "sponsored" caption was prominently displayed throughout the airing of the documentary. The documentary also contained the names of the producers at the credit roll.

So if Buhari had a problem with the documentary why not take it with the producers in court and not ait?

The fact is that Buhari can not sue the Producers because they documented facts about him that were true.

Ait was just the media outlet the producers of the doc chose to air their documentary

What if the produces chose to release a film and premiere it in SilverBirds cinema?
Will buhari now order closure of Silverbird cinema on the basis of showcasing the documentary?

This latest move by Buhari shows how shallow and despotic he is.

If he think he can stiffle press freedom then he is on a long road of self destruction.

I am eagerly waiting for the APC to pass a bill barring social media sites like NL because from what I see in the apc and people like OP democracy is just a means to powerand nothing more[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by koboko69: 10:24am On Apr 28, 2015
The poster above me WombRaiders should read the code of ethics of a journist. They have the right to reject airing the documentary if I breaches the code of conduct.

https://www.nairaland.com/2281798/see-code-ethics-nigerian-journalists

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
Watchdog to govt activities,not to be watchdoging d good citizen of nigeria,spoiling their good name and image.

Then take them to court!

Sue them for damages and get a public apology and undertaking.

This is how it is done.

The thing you apc supporters and buhari seem to not understand is the Buhari was not elected king or supreme ruler.

Even as a president, the only way he can fight any libel against him is in the courts.

He is not the court, judge, prosecutor and police! He is the president and his functions and roles as spelled out in the constitution does not include ostrisizing groups or establishments that report negatively on him!

Send that message to Buhari and let him know that we are not in 1984!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by omenka(m): 10:30am On Apr 28, 2015
I'd be hugely disappointed should the president stop at this alone. I'd like to see a case in court with the defendants asked to give hard evidence as to all the accused the General of, from the stolen monies to sponsorship of terrorism. angry
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by dustmalik: 10:36am On Apr 28, 2015
koboko69:
The poster above me WombRaiders should read the code of ethics of a journist. They have the right to reject airing the documentary if I breaches the code of conduct.

They won't read. They will simply continue spewing rubbish.
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 28, 2015
koboko69:

Nonsense! How does running an expose documentary on a frontline candidate for presidency run contrary to ethics?

Buhari can still take AIT and the producers to court!

He is not owner of Nigeria by virtue of being elected president of Nigeria.

Ait has done more good to our democracy than a thousand buhari's can ever mutter.

Let me ask you this; today buhari is barring AIT from coverinhg him as president elect and has also declared AIT persona non grata in his innuguration, what will happen once he is sworn in? Will he barr AIT from covering his govt and presidency as well?
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 28, 2015
dustmalik:

They won't read. They will simply continue spewing rubbish.

Coming from a change chanting zombie
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 28, 2015
omenka:
I'd be hugely disappointed should the president stop at this alone. I'd like to see a case in court with the defendants asked to give hard evidence as to all the accused the General of, from the stolen monies to sponsorship of terrorism. angry
Why did he not sue them then?
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by koboko69: 10:44am On Apr 28, 2015
WombRaiders:

Nonsense! How does running an expose documentary on a frontline candidate for presidency run contrary to ethics?

Buhari can still take AIT and the producers to court!

He is not owner of Nigeria by virtue of being elected president of Nigeria.

Ait has done more good to our democracy than a thousand buhari's can ever mutter.

Let me ask you this; today buhari is barring AIT from coverinhg him as president elect and has also declared AIT persona non grata in his innuguration, what will happen once he is sworn in? Will he barr AIT from covering his govt and presidency as well?

Wairlt till AIT's licence is revoked cheesy you call AIT unsubstantiated documentary and hate campaign an expose documentary. Una never see anything. As long as the constitution does not bar Buhari from covering his activites...he has done nothing wrong. Bare in mind he also has the power to revoke AITs license. I hope una nor go shout Dictator then. Im sure being in opposition is sweet. How are u enjoying it?
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 28, 2015
After he revokes Ait's liscence, then there will be another news agency that needs his ban hammer until only Nta and radio nigeria remain

This is the issue.

koboko69:

Wairlt till AIT's licence is revoked cheesy you call AIT unsubstantiated documentary and hate campaign an expose documentary. Una never see anything. As long as the constitution does not bar Buhari from covering his activites...he has done nothing wrong. Bare in mind he also has the power to revoke AITs license. I hope una nor go shout Dictator then. Im sure being in opposition is sweet. How are u enjoying it?
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by PassingShot(m): 10:48am On Apr 28, 2015
GMB has not breached any part of our constitution. He has every right to decide who attends his private activities and who doesn't.

Let TANoids continue to cry, we are solidly behind the General on this one.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by kuuljay(m): 10:57am On Apr 28, 2015
Scholes007:

if a bastard is your president elect then where was you when he won the election? besides I wander where you schooled by saying a president elects life is public... if you passed waec you should knw buhari is not the president and can ask any media outfit to stay away from him
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by vision2022: 10:58am On Apr 28, 2015
FOI does it mean freedom of character assasination, NBC should sanction AIT. infact, if I were GMB I will not have anything to do with AIT untill I finish my tenure.
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by kuuljay(m): 11:00am On Apr 28, 2015
koboko69:

don't mind that semi literate geek
Re: Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. by kuuljay(m): 11:02am On Apr 28, 2015
WombRaiders:

Then take them to court!

Sue them for damages and get a public apology and undertaking.

This is how it is done.

The thing you apc supporters and buhari seem to not understand is the Buhari was not elected king or supreme ruler.

Even as a president, the only way he can fight any libel against him is in the courts.

He is not the court, judge, prosecutor and police! He is the president and his functions and roles as spelled out in the constitution does not include ostrisizing groups or establishments that report negatively on him!

Send that message to Buhari and let him know that we are not in 1984!
who is president? are you reasoning with your anus? so GEJ is no longer the president.na waoo

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Live now on AIT: Chief Imam Calls BH Criminals / Rivers Rerun:See Pics Of The Drones Wike Bought On Air 2day Monitoring Election / Apc Supporters Planing Counter Protest In Support Of Buhari On 5th Feb. (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.